Thread: Lower Back Pain

Title

Default Lower Back Pain

I know nobody here is a Doctor or anything, but maybe this has happened to you.

Anyways, today, I was skating at the park. I was trying to do a hardflip bs 180 off a bank, I don't know what happened but I guess that awkward motion did something to my back and now it hurts pretty bad.

Has this ever happened to any of you guys?

Title
    Respected User

Is it right at the curvature of your lower back? Kinda were your boxers waist band would be?

Title
    Steez'

Yeah it happens to me alot when i skate switch, and land super hard on my front foot
    I'm actually insanely sore right now, after skating all day. I have a heating pad on my back, and just took 2 advil.
    At night i'll more then likely put tigerbalm icey/hot patch on my lower back.
    then wake up and feel good as new.
    if it doesn't go away. Consider going to the chiropractor

stretching really good before you skate helps alot as well.

Title
    #TRUE

Usually happens to me after impacting straight legged, or just not even crouching down enough.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by d-ville skater View Post
    Is it right at the curvature of your lower back? Kinda were your boxers waist band would be?
    Yes! I just rubbed some hot musclerub on it and it feels sooo good. But it still hurts a bit.

And thanks, dtj16, I'll look into doing some of those things.

Title

Good thing i'm not the only one. Usually happens after long hours of skating manny pads. Flares up when i sprint too. Not really too worried about it because after a day or two of just chilling i'm fine.

Title
    Steez'

are my brand of choice

but you can get these too..
    (i dont really like them, since they smell strange)

Title
    Rook'

i am way too familiar with this since i broke my tail-bone. like said before tiger balm works wonders and i cant stress enough how important stretching is.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by elementcs13 View Post
    Yes! I just rubbed some hot musclerub on it and it feels sooo good. But it still hurts a bit.

And thanks, dtj16, I'll look into doing some of those things.
    Then you tweaked out your muscle. I forgot what its called, has the word spinal in it. But theres alot of excerises you can do for that. Which will stregnthen it but before that ice it. Relieve any inflamation.

Title
    Respected User

I stretch before and after skating. Most people forgo the stretching after skating, but its actually more crucial than stretching before skating because all the stress your muscles, tendons, ligs, etc.. go through will more likely cramp up after a sesh. (however, not stretching before skating too puts you at risk for straining a muscle)

as for back pain, this might not be within your comfort zone, but i'm getting wtfOld and so as an experiment I started sleeping on the floor about 2 years ago, primarily as a personal test to relief lower back pain. (i've read much positive and negative opinions on its effectiveness, so had to find out for myself) It has helped a great deal. I don't have any lower back pains anymore, at least not anywhere to the degree that I did the previous 8 years.

Anyway, if you pulled a muscle and its tense, slow stretches in that region will help loosen it up accompanied with some water.

spose i could have just posted the last sentence by itself, but i'm slightly drunk so i digressed into back reliefs. deal with it. =p
    =:D{-<]:

Title
    Steez'

Quote Originally Posted by SysEx View Post
    I stretch before and after skating. Most people forgo the stretching after skating, but its actually more crucial than stretching before skating because all the stress your muscles, tendons, ligs, etc.. go through will more likely cramp up after a sesh. (however, not stretching before skating too puts you at risk for straining a muscle)

as for back pain, this might not be within your comfort zone, but i'm getting wtfOld and so as an experiment I started sleeping on the floor about 2 years ago, primarily as a personal test to relief lower back pain. (i've read much positive and negative opinions on its effectiveness, so had to find out for myself) It has helped a great deal. I don't have any lower back pains anymore, at least not anywhere to the degree that I did the previous 8 years.

Anyway, if you pulled a muscle and its tense, slow stretches in that region will help loosen it up accompanied with some water.

spose i could have just posted the last sentence by itself, but i'm slightly drunk so i digressed into back reliefs. deal with it. =p
    I'll rep you, if you can link me to a website that includes good post skating stretches

Title
    Respected User

i dont really know of any sites off-hand, i wouldn't call them "skating stretches" in particular. they are mostly basic stretches with a couple others I've worked into my routine over the years. I do the same stretches before and after I go climbing.

i have a couple books that i go by and a buddy that is a yogi who has showed me a few things

From a quick google search:
    http://www.southfloridasportsmedicin...rExtremity.jpg

I do: 1, 2, 6, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16 the most often of what's shown there. I have slight variations as well. (usually doing as many of stretches as I can on one foot, if possible)

I usually start off with very basic yoga thing, called "sun salute". its good for warming up before stretching. you would have to watch some youtube videos on the sun salute to see how its properly done though, all i can say is, breathing is key

For my calfs and ankles I have a block I step on with the ball/toes of my feet and do dips to work out that area (its helped a great deal since i broke my foot a few years ago - also helps to add some weight, such as wearing a heavy backpack)

ill do squats, pushups, sit ups, and inversions every so often, but my main focus is flexibility, balance, and strength. (in that order) (strength last becomes it develops on its own via flex/bal focus + skating)

when it comes to lower body/back & legs these are the ones i most often revert to. i don't do all of them every time i stretch, usually 4-5 it just depends on how i feel and what i feel needs some attention.

sorry I don't have any informative sites to link you to. I should probably bookmark more often. heh

hope that helps some (you're probably already familiar with most of these tho)

Title

Yes i am all 2 familiar with back pain. I have 2 herniated discs plus disc degenerative disease in my lower back. There used to be a constant pain and numbness in my bcck soo bad that i couldnt even wipe my ass or bend down. the worst bit is is that im only 16... The pain has gone down now and i am back skating and my advice to everyone out here is to stretch. Do it everyday, allday. I swear it works magic and you will feel soo much better. Also i know its kinda obvious but u have to look after urself. Dont go jumping off 10 stairs when you dont feel up to it. Peace

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by McAfrica View Post
    Yes i am all 2 familiar with back pain. I have 2 herniated discs plus disc degenerative disease in my lower back. There used to be a constant pain and numbness in my bcck soo bad that i couldnt even wipe my ass or bend down. the worst bit is is that im only 16... The pain has gone down now and i am back skating and my advice to everyone out here is to stretch. Do it everyday, allday. I swear it works magic and you will feel soo much better. Also i know its kinda obvious but u have to look after urself. Dont go jumping off 10 stairs when you dont feel up to it. Peace
    out of curiosity, what kind of bed do you sleep on and do you use pillow(s)? (if you sleep on one at all)

Title

I know it sounds kind of stupid, but acupuncture is seriously the greatest thing of life. I used to get this all the time until I started getting it, it's actually like mad relaxing and it makes you feel like brand new again. I recommend it to everyone but they're always like, "Gayyy." hahaha.

Title
    Perma Banned

Sometimes bad posture causes back pain

Title
    Rook'

try the stretches at the start of this video, his "warmup", you don't need to do the jogging on the spot or anything as thats to do with the kung fu side, but the stretches are something that I do every day when I get up, and before I go to bed, there are a couple of others I do to but aren't shown here, are in a book I purchased by shifu yan lei (the guy in the vid below) called "qigong workout for longevity" which you might be able to download somewhere, but considering how cheap it is to buy, its worth it just for the stretch exercises

Shaolin monk warrior workout - YouTube

Title
    Rook'

/me notices how old the thread is

Title
    Perma Banned

I think stretching are good warm up exercises Zibafu

Title
    Rook'

it is, worth doing as soon as you get up, and before you go to bed/after a heavy physical activity

Title

Sometimes, back pain occurs duo to injuries. There are a lot of disk on our spine. If one displaces, it will hurt much and causes pain. In this case, you should contact an orthopedic doctor. I was facing a severe lower back pain few months ago. Doctor gave me few back exercise. I followed his suggestions and now i am free from pain. I didn't take any medicine. You have to learn the common causes of back pain including bad posture while sitting and sleeping, carrying few heavy box and weights, injuries, slouching while on the desk etc.
    Last edited by andrehoss; 04-18-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Title

Thanks for sharing your input. I simply kick flipped off of a 1’ box and must have landed straight legged, and couldn’t sit up of stand up straight without extreme pain. That was almost 2 years ago. The pain subsided eventually, but I always feel discomfort at least a little. When I do things like clean the bathtub, or anything that requires me to bend for prolonged periods, it becomes nearly impossible to stand up completely straight for a few days.
    I recently got back into skateboarding so I decided to lookup some of my old favorite skaters. Turns out that there is a video of Chad Muska filming in Mexico where he hurt his lower back, (turned out to be a herniated disc ) which pretty much ended his pro career. He didn’t skate for about 5 years after that.
    Now he’s riding again which makes me super happy, but he is taking it SUPER slow.

Title

I have lowerback pains after the sesh but that's because I've got scoliosis

Title

I've experienced my share of lower back pain from skating, but I can't yet call it quits -- I love skating too much.

Title

Yeah, exactly. As it was said before, visit a doctor. It is not because of the game. If you have constant headaches, also try hemp oil to reduce the pain https://www.payspi.org, but anyway, doctor check is required!