Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Title
    Respected User

as long as you're pulling in the $

Title

Yep, the income is all that matters until you figure out what you want

Title

I majored in anthropology. Now I'm a front-end web developer. I'm just glad I never went on to get an doctorate in anthropology, because then (in the USA) I'd likely be stuck in adjunct-assistant positions, teaching low-level classes nonstop, with no time to keep up with what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by akkaquill View Post
    I'm 29 now. My main gig is screen printing full time and my side gig is a rental property I bought last December. I still don't really know what I want to be.
    I'm pretty sure I saw your band once. Did you ever play in New Haven, CT?

Title
    blunted in a 600

^ I've always had a passing interest in anthropology, but I'm not sure if it's more sociology. Is it as fun as it seems - "the study of humans"? Or is there a lot of dry shit to go through? With sociology, parts of it were interesting but a lot of it was highly theoretical and I'm thinking if I'd have been better placed studying anthropology
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Title
    Respected User

I'd imagine anthro is full of leftists these days but maybe not

Title
    Webmaster / Founder

in 2019 i hope to open up a small company selling wildland fire gear. some useful stuff and original products but also typical clothing line bullshit as well as, hopefully in the big picture, serve as a hub for all of the smaller dudes in the community. ie selling knives that some dude just makes in his spare time out of old chainsaw bars and the like and get a commission from it or whatever.

in the meantime ive been getting into freelance writing, have a number of articles to throw on medium before i start trying to make money but figured id have plenty of time while im coasting around asia for the rest of winter so might as well make some online monies in whatever way i can

after that, another fire season then back to school. im over putting it off. i dont even really want my degree anymore but i have so little time left and if nothing else id like to be able to fall back on, at worst, a $50k/year job while i figure something else out instead of busting my ass and taking years off my life for $34k

its been a great experience but im really just at a point where i want to buy a house and either live in it or rent it out and let the tenants finance my international travels year round on top of my mortgage

but as well kinda torn between "settling down" a bit and getting a pupper and kitty cat again and living a more stable life vs just traveling nonstop. hopefully the next three months on the other side of the world will offer some perspective
    Last edited by UrMomSkatesMongo; 12-31-2018 at 02:10 AM.

Title
    blunted in a 600

I'm in the same boat. I'm at the crossroads of my career taking a strong upwards trajectory but I'm kinda burned out and want to travel more... maybe be a ski lift bum for a season
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.

Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    / Henning

Title
    guru again

Quote Originally Posted by Samhell View Post
    I majored in anthropology. Now I'm a front-end web developer. I'm just glad I never went on to get an doctorate in anthropology, because then (in the USA) I'd likely be stuck in adjunct-assistant positions, teaching low-level classes nonstop, with no time to keep up with what's going on.

I'm pretty sure I saw your band once. Did you ever play in New Haven, CT?
    I think we did this past April. Small world! Do you remember what venue or any of the other bands that played?

Title
    Respected User

I didn't really do anything exciting when I was younger, but I noticed something weird - people who go out of their way to do "cool shit" like backpack through Europe etc. don't really change once they're done with their adventures. If they were interesting before, they're still interesting with more interesting stuff to talk about. If they were boring, they can have travelled wherever and all they have to show for it is like "bruh we drank so much in so-and-so, shit was wild".

And by "younger" I mean first half of 20s. I'm still in the second half for a few years thankfully, but I doubt I'm going to do anything legitimately interesting in that time as well.

Title
    blunted in a 600

Just about every 2nd Aussie in my age bracket has gone around the world or backpacked in Europe. Come June-July, my feed is filled with people going to Europe mainly (North America mainly gets left out til winter when the snow picks up).

It's become incredibly cliche.

Thing is, you are exactly right. It probably just makes insufferable people more insufferable; or if they weren't obnoxious before, it was bubbling beneath the surfacr waiting for an extended vacation to bring it out.

I'm all for the gap year between university graduation and work, I wish I did it. I went straight into work and have felt kinda tired and burned out ever since.

On the travel not changing people thing, can't stand travel blogs; travel doesn't make you interesting. Just like people who write autobiographies who really shouldn't; you had one thing that happened to you that was interesting, no need for a book.

/ Henning

Title
    Webmaster / Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Stookie View Post
    Just about every 2nd Aussie in my age bracket has gone around the world or backpacked in Europe. Come June-July, my feed is filled with people going to Europe mainly (North America mainly gets left out til winter when the snow picks up).

It's become incredibly cliche.

Thing is, you are exactly right. It probably just makes insufferable people more insufferable; or if they weren't obnoxious before, it was bubbling beneath the surfacr waiting for an extended vacation to bring it out.

I'm all for the gap year between university graduation and work, I wish I did it. I went straight into work and have felt kinda tired and burned out ever since.

On the travel not changing people thing, can't stand travel blogs; travel doesn't make you interesting. Just like people who write autobiographies who really shouldn't; you had one thing that happened to you that was interesting, no need for a book.
    having been to a humble 21 countries, I have yet to visit one without an Australian in my hostel or a large group in any part of any city

my travels are definitely the most interesting part of my life but I honestly don't talk about it to most people. If I do it's only because I'm giving them advice or giving them a more realistic perspective.

but i cant really talk about anything else. i feel like im begging for attention no matter what I say because the only response I have to "what to do you" is travel or firefighting and 90% the person asking doesnt know shit about either and is only met with "wow wish I did that." But that's all I've done for the past year and a half. Unless you've been to the same place(s) I just feel silly pouring down all my dumb experiences and things I learned about cultures down peoples necks

however, talking amongst people that travel a lot is a totally different world. I hate people that brag about it but it really makes small talk all the more unbearable. And even so I hate most people that travel because they do it for shitty reasons, didn't work for it, etc. But once in a blue moon you find that person that just doesn't give a fuck about anything and hitchhikes their way across the world and I could talk to them for days on end. aussie girl in cologne was a prime example of that. she backpacked eastern europe all by herself for 6 months and had a lot of awesome stories about that as well as taught me a lot I didn't know about the land down under

as for travel blogs, I've contemplated writing my own. I am writing now but mostly on firefighting and on the political side of it because people are fucking retarded. as for travel blogs though I would like to write more realistic things rather than the typical gopro future with house music and top ten lists about bullshit. my travels have never been without stress. and id like to say i have learned a lot about myself in doing so. have i changed much? not really, not in personality, but the way i do things has changed a lot and my opinions have shifted drastically after seeing so many different perspectives and ways of doing things. i only expect that to change more as I explore more into the eastern world

i should be in bangkok by now btw, but i had to cancel my trip and im butthurt about it
    Last edited by UrMomSkatesMongo; 01-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Title
    blunted in a 600

Short gopro videos are fine in my book, if I did more adventurous crap I'd probably be tempted by a gopro. Nothing worse than a time lapse flight video though

Also, your firefighting to me is most interesting <3

/ Henning

Title

Quote Originally Posted by akkaquill View Post
    I think we did this past April. Small world! Do you remember what venue or any of the other bands that played?
    Ha ha, no this would have been a few years ago. Still had a good time (if that was even FalterMKE).

Quote Originally Posted by Stookie View Post
    ^ I've always had a passing interest in anthropology, but I'm not sure if it's more sociology. Is it as fun as it seems - "the study of humans"? Or is there a lot of dry shit to go through? With sociology, parts of it were interesting but a lot of it was highly theoretical and I'm thinking if I'd have been better placed studying anthropology
    Bla bla bla...whatever, read Claude Levi Strauss' tristes tropiques and get back to me.

Title
    blunted in a 600

righto champ

/ Henning

Title
    Respected User

I spent about a month in Italy doing some job training a while ago, was interesting to get around without really any outside guidance or knowing the language. I think I'm too pussy to do something like that by choice, though, especially in countries where the language bears no resemblance to European languages whatsoever.

Title
    Perma Banned

I want my own pub :)

Title

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_wigger View Post
    I spent about a month in Italy doing some job training a while ago, was interesting to get around without really any outside guidance or knowing the language. I think I'm too pussy to do something like that by choice, though, especially in countries where the language bears no resemblance to European languages whatsoever.
    I get where you're coming from bro. But don't let fear dictate your life. Or other people's opinions. Do it for yourself.

Title
    blunted in a 600

Strong first post

/ Henning

Title
    Respected User

IDC what you guys are gonna become

but please, PLEASE if you go to college, do research on what the first 5 years in that profession would be like. like salary, work env, prospective employers etc,

professors will lie through their teeth and tell you your guaranteed a job right out of school, some degrees need more finess then that.

Title
    Respected User

When I got out of college I thought I was entitled to interesting and well paying work because of how "smart" I am. Still learning the lesson that no one owes you shit and if you want something you have to make it yourself.

Title

oow!!..growing older?? i have always wanted to study medicine....i can not believe right now am sat in front of a laptop doing what? graphics and staff..how i ended up here i do not know but..it is never too late to make it happen.
    open Tatami Ladies BJJ Gi Nova Absolute White | https://minotaurfightstore.co.uk/lp/Tatami-BJJ-Gi/
    Last edited by sandertristan; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:37 AM.
    biggie

Title

Since I turned 32 I'm just a fucking bum. Working up to 72 hours a week making car mats.

Title
    ))<>((

Make me a custom car mat in the shape of Victor’s head.

Title
    blunted in a 600

^ Whenever I step into my car now I'll think of Valo as I wipe my feet onto the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by DVS Skater View Post
    Hey, another journalist on sbc. I was going to minor in sociology until I transferred schools and ended up getting a minor in criminology thinking I wanted to be a crime reporter when I graduated. Turns out crime reporting kind of sucks, and I'm enjoying covering a municipal beat way more.
    i somehow missed this. On the off chance you see this and decide to reply, what do you like more about municipal vs crime? To me it would be the other way around. I guess courts can get kinda shitty

/ Henning

Title

If the mat is fucked up might be by my hands.....and box cutter we use. Why do it right when someone might smear dog shit on it?