Page 3204 of 3214 FirstFirst ... 22042704310431543194320032013202320332043205320632073208 ... LastLast
Results 80,076 to 80,100 of 80349
  1. #80076
    cheese_wigger's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,866

    Default

    Do you think Jenny is hot?

  2. #80077
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    the spammers are coming, so long friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

  3. #80078

    Title
    Webmaster / Founder
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    gone
    Posts
    913

    Default

    A good read on wildland fire that better explains some things I was writing about the other day as well as many other issues https://www.reddit.com/r/Wildfire/co...r5_fs_hotshot/

  4. #80079
    Fudopi's Avatar
    Title
    kind of respected user
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    18,725

    Default

    Hey do you guys know if there’s a way to make it so certain people can’t see any posts I’m tagged in, in the future?

    Long story short my grandfather has cancer, and that whole side of the family is having a big party for him a few weekends from now. But several months ago I paid for a trip to Chicago on that same weekend, registered for a tournament there and told my friends I would drive... so I really don’t want my more distant family to see any pictures or posts I get tagged in that weekend. I’m going to go see my grandfather before their get together anyways, so it’s not like I’m ignoring him, I just don’t want to hear shit about it from a bunch of family who I hardly talk to and it probably wouldn’t be a good look.

    He’s getting treatment for it and I’ve been told it’s going well.

    I know how to make it so people can’t see your posts but idk if that includes ones you get tagged in or not
    Last edited by Fudopi; 05-12-2019 at 08:19 PM.

  5. #80080
    igrindtwinkies's Avatar
    Title
    My Balls Itch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    8,964

    Default

    There's a privacy setting that makes it so you have to approve posts you're tagged in for them to show up on your wall. I have it turned on cause I don't want that shit out in the open.
    skate or die g times

  6. #80081
    igrindtwinkies's Avatar
    Title
    My Balls Itch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    8,964

    Default

    Also, has a mod seriously not been on in the last 17 hours?
    skate or die g times

  7. #80082
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by igrindtwinkies View Post
    There's a privacy setting that makes it so you have to approve posts you're tagged in for them to show up on your wall. I have it turned on cause I don't want that shit out in the open.
    that's the best option
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

  8. #80083
    Probably NerkaN Who Knows's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    A shitty island in Greece where skate spots dont exist and you get kicked out 24/7 pls kill me <3 :)
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I'm here all the time
    I volunteer to be a mod, since I love this website
    For real

    shittherewassupposedtobeacommaonmyusername


  9. #80084
    theonlysun81's Avatar
    Title
    _______
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrMomSkatesMongo View Post
    AZ voted on a hemp bill last year and it goes into effect at the end of the month. There was no designation between hemp and weed and they're issuing licenses to grow

    And yeah, "engine slugs" is a thing for a reason
    Good place to get quals and direct experience but ya obviously aren't going to be hiking everywhere like we do. I got pretty lucky on the qual side of things though, already got my B faller and I'm first in line to get fft1 tasked off so I'll have more than enough quals and already know a few guys on ihcs so hopefully it should be a sealed deal if I pursue it

    Assuming it's your first year and you're gonna be doing more wildland than structure, just be nice to the handcrews because come August we're all going to wish we were on engines
    The way the permanents make it sound like is that we don't have a shot crew in my district, so we will also be the shot crew locally. Also we could be called in on a hand crew or shot crew if they need people, etc. Also that despite the fact we are on an engine we will still be line digging. Clearly we will be doing IA and mop up, but idk my engine is a Type 3. I feel like that much water is only really good enough for a few hours of fighting grass fires.

    But yea we were doing hose lays the other day and my captain was like yea, we are the sprinters the shot crews are the marathon runners and I was like, fuck I should have gotten on a shot crew. But yea I mean as long as I get the over times and what not thats all i really care about. One of the guys last year was makine 3 grand a paycheck after taxes. Granted he had almost 300 hours for the pay period, but yea either way. Also I have my B.S. in Soil Science, and have already talked with the soil scientist about getting trained after the season for his job. So maybe I won't be doing it too long.

  10. #80085
    shampoo's Avatar
    Title
    ))<>((
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Back and forth. Forever.
    Posts
    12,660

    Default

    When users have special requests they should make a new thread and/or pm mods.

  11. #80086

    Title
    Webmaster / Founder
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    gone
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlysun81 View Post
    The way the permanents make it sound like is that we don't have a shot crew in my district, so we will also be the shot crew locally. Also we could be called in on a hand crew or shot crew if they need people, etc. Also that despite the fact we are on an engine we will still be line digging. Clearly we will be doing IA and mop up, but idk my engine is a Type 3. I feel like that much water is only really good enough for a few hours of fighting grass fires.

    But yea we were doing hose lays the other day and my captain was like yea, we are the sprinters the shot crews are the marathon runners and I was like, fuck I should have gotten on a shot crew. But yea I mean as long as I get the over times and what not thats all i really care about. One of the guys last year was makine 3 grand a paycheck after taxes. Granted he had almost 300 hours for the pay period, but yea either way. Also I have my B.S. in Soil Science, and have already talked with the soil scientist about getting trained after the season for his job. So maybe I won't be doing it too long.
    No matter what resource type you're on, people on that resource are going to claim they're the best at something

    Which is fine, as per my previous post, morale is really important in the job and you only get it from your crewmates and the public (sometimes).

    And every resource plays their part. Even type 3 crews that do nothing but rehab and some mop up, the most boring tedious jobs in fire, are extremely important albeit low skilled, low strain.

    A type 3 engine is a big boy and I've rarely worked with one except with the boners that are CALFire. We usually only see type 6, the occasional 4. Running out of water just means you go and refill and get back at it. But for NV I'm sure you'll be busy. Engines just have a mixed rep with hand crews of all types, and that's all I was saying before. On one hand, a lot of people joke about how easy engine life is because they never get spiked out, are never far from a chair and A/C, and have mandatory breaks to refill the tanks. Plus when you're on a hand crew and you just go to an engine to take all their hose and piss pumps and the engine crew just smiles and waves as you go back into the shit to do all the hoselays and, for calfire at least, have to break down and return all the house, it just makes them seem lazy. Alternatively, I'd blow every guy on an engine when they put an end to dry mopping. Water is gold in wildland. But a lot of engine guys like to have a cocky attitude, refuse to actually help other crews, and make huge scenes in camp when they bring their hammocks and rocking chairs and air mattresses. It's pretty common unfortunately and it just paints a bad image, especially for handcrews that either never see a camp or just sleep on the ground for 6 hours before we get food and head back out.

    Looking at it from the other side, many people on IA and shot crews just like to throw their dicks around and get high on being called special forces or elite or whatever the fuck gets them off at night. Hurr durr we go where engines can't and we don't use water!

    But yeah, nobody talks about engines working severity and patrolling forests and what not. By the numbers, engines will see the most fires and IA 90% of them. But they are often less exciting lightning strikes and very minimal acreage. It's the same thing we do, we just do it for hours and days on end and that requires a much higher fitness level than what you need for an engine. So the marathon v. sprint thing is a good comparison. You may or may not see more "action" or get more hours. But nobody can ever say. Nobody knows until the season is over. And unless you get ordered to campaign fires, yes, you will be the tip of the arrow for local fires. Shot crews are always out of state on the big campaigns. Hell, my first fire last year was only a 300acre in rural western CO and we had five shot crews there plus us. Not a single one of those crews were from CO except the one engine from the local district.

    In the end though, engine experience is the best for variety. You get all the IA perks, the IC training of smaller fires, pump and hose expertise, and the variety of terrain/situations from hitting the smaller fires or even just being first on site for a fire that turns campaign. The only downsides to being on an engine are some people cracking jokes, not getting the less desirable experience of hiking in and never having water, and in turn not getting as much physical activity. But you likely will get the same or similar hours as many handcrews + in some cases engines crews do make more hourly. And if nothing else you only have to deal with 1-3 other guys instead of 20+ all the time.

    It's a great intro to fire, and a great thing to put on a resume for any degree oriented outdoors/conservation/ag profession. And getting on a shot crew with no experience is nearly impossible unless a crew is desperate. Even then they usually only grab newbies because they're an EMT or something. So if you catch the bug and want to pursue shot life, you're off to a great start. Otherwise, you'll likely make a pretty penny anyway in exchange for forfeiting your summer. And I assume you're agency since you said captain so you're going to get awesome fire pay if you don't get screwed on hazard pay all the time. We contract a lot with BLM and this time of year we have an engine sitting with us taking a nap while we work all day but I get to hear a lot about their job and pay and everything. Sounds like a pretty awesome gig compared to what we get on fire. Benefit for me is if I stick to BLM modules this month I'll be making more than I do on fire anyway for half the hours. Any other project work I do gives me at least 1k a week gross. Way better than your guaranteed 40 with an agency (I'm making more now than my shot buddies who haven't gone to a fire yet).

    Also I've only been on an engine once for like 6 hours patrolling a rx burn so everything I write is from my second hand experience and whatever conclusions I can make.

    Maybe someday I'll make a less dense fire post but this is my life until September
    Last edited by UrMomSkatesMongo; 05-13-2019 at 08:25 PM.

  12. #80087
    theonlysun81's Avatar
    Title
    _______
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrMomSkatesMongo View Post
    No matter what resource type you're on, people on that resource are going to claim they're the best at something

    Which is fine, as per my previous post, morale is really important in the job and you only get it from your crewmates and the public (sometimes).

    And every resource plays their part. Even type 3 crews that do nothing but rehab and some mop up, the most boring tedious jobs in fire, are extremely important albeit low skilled, low strain.

    A type 3 engine is a big boy and I've rarely worked with one except with the boners that are CALFire. We usually only see type 6, the occasional 4. Running out of water just means you go and refill and get back at it. But for NV I'm sure you'll be busy. Engines just have a mixed rep with hand crews of all types, and that's all I was saying before. On one hand, a lot of people joke about how easy engine life is because they never get spiked out, are never far from a chair and A/C, and have mandatory breaks to refill the tanks. Plus when you're on a hand crew and you just go to an engine to take all their hose and piss pumps and the engine crew just smiles and waves as you go back into the shit to do all the hoselays and, for calfire at least, have to break down and return all the house, it just makes them seem lazy. Alternatively, I'd blow every guy on an engine when they put an end to dry mopping. Water is gold in wildland. But a lot of engine guys like to have a cocky attitude, refuse to actually help other crews, and make huge scenes in camp when they bring their hammocks and rocking chairs and air mattresses. It's pretty common unfortunately and it just paints a bad image, especially for handcrews that either never see a camp or just sleep on the ground for 6 hours before we get food and head back out.

    Looking at it from the other side, many people on IA and shot crews just like to throw their dicks around and get high on being called special forces or elite or whatever the fuck gets them off at night. Hurr durr we go where engines can't and we don't use water!

    But yeah, nobody talks about engines working severity and patrolling forests and what not. By the numbers, engines will see the most fires and IA 90% of them. But they are often less exciting lightning strikes and very minimal acreage. It's the same thing we do, we just do it for hours and days on end and that requires a much higher fitness level than what you need for an engine. So the marathon v. sprint thing is a good comparison. You may or may not see more "action" or get more hours. But nobody can ever say. Nobody knows until the season is over. And unless you get ordered to campaign fires, yes, you will be the tip of the arrow for local fires. Shot crews are always out of state on the big campaigns. Hell, my first fire last year was only a 300acre in rural western CO and we had five shot crews there plus us. Not a single one of those crews were from CO except the one engine from the local district.

    In the end though, engine experience is the best for variety. You get all the IA perks, the IC training of smaller fires, pump and hose expertise, and the variety of terrain/situations from hitting the smaller fires or even just being first on site for a fire that turns campaign. The only downsides to being on an engine are some people cracking jokes, not getting the less desirable experience of hiking in and never having water, and in turn not getting as much physical activity. But you likely will get the same or similar hours as many handcrews + in some cases engines crews do make more hourly. And if nothing else you only have to deal with 1-3 other guys instead of 20+ all the time.

    It's a great intro to fire, and a great thing to put on a resume for any degree oriented outdoors/conservation/ag profession. And getting on a shot crew with no experience is nearly impossible unless a crew is desperate. Even then they usually only grab newbies because they're an EMT or something. So if you catch the bug and want to pursue shot life, you're off to a great start. Otherwise, you'll likely make a pretty penny anyway in exchange for forfeiting your summer. And I assume you're agency since you said captain so you're going to get awesome fire pay if you don't get screwed on hazard pay all the time. We contract a lot with BLM and this time of year we have an engine sitting with us taking a nap while we work all day but I get to hear a lot about their job and pay and everything. Sounds like a pretty awesome gig compared to what we get on fire. Benefit for me is if I stick to BLM modules this month I'll be making more than I do on fire anyway for half the hours. Any other project work I do gives me at least 1k a week gross. Way better than your guaranteed 40 with an agency (I'm making more now than my shot buddies who haven't gone to a fire yet).

    Also I've only been on an engine once for like 6 hours patrolling a rx burn so everything I write is from my second hand experience and whatever conclusions I can make.

    Maybe someday I'll make a less dense fire post but this is my life until September

    Yea I'm with USFS. And it definitely seems like we will mostly respond on smaller fires as IA. But yea, I definitely would rather be on a shot crew. A lot of people in my district are in piss poor shape. I am in really good shape. I'll run 10 miles in an hour, I did the pack test in 31 min, etc. But also it seemed like if our engine goes out on our day off, we could get sent on any other crew once we are back in the office. Aka hand crews, shot crews, etc. I definitely would rather be on a shot crew cause I'm doing this to test my physical limits and I definitely don't want to just be hanging out all day. But the permanents made iet sound like, yea we have an engine, we have water, but we could be hikign 10+ miles into fires and doing fire line construction, etc.

  13. #80088
    drowning_fish's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,006

    Default

    there's so many things in the world that i don't know about lol
    loud black girls - wait what
    india songs
    "hell is other people" - the same guy who said "kissing a man without a mustache is like eating an egg without salt."
    "hell is also yourself." - r. crumb

  14. #80089
    mrkd. matt's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้&#
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    I am graduating college on Saturday. From hopeless to scientist ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaterTillDeath View Post
    Get Rad with the Lord, Matt.

  15. #80090
    Probably NerkaN Who Knows's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    A shitty island in Greece where skate spots dont exist and you get kicked out 24/7 pls kill me <3 :)
    Posts
    375

    Default

    damn
    gl mate

    shittherewassupposedtobeacommaonmyusername


  16. #80091
    Lisztomania's Avatar
    Title
    crazy and cute
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    up there somewhere
    Posts
    8,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrkd. matt View Post
    I am graduating college on Saturday. From hopeless to scientist ;)
    woo! with masters or what?

  17. #80092
    mrkd. matt's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้&#
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisztomania View Post
    woo! with masters or what?
    nooo not yet, but in the future hopefully! just a bachelors of science in biology and mathematics. hoping to go back to school after a year for a bachelors in chemistry though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaterTillDeath View Post
    Get Rad with the Lord, Matt.

  18. #80093
    Lisztomania's Avatar
    Title
    crazy and cute
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    up there somewhere
    Posts
    8,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrkd. matt View Post
    nooo not yet, but in the future hopefully! just a bachelors of science in biology and mathematics. hoping to go back to school after a year for a bachelors in chemistry though.
    you interning with any company?

  19. #80094

    Title
    Webmaster / Founder
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    gone
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlysun81 View Post
    Yea I'm with USFS. And it definitely seems like we will mostly respond on smaller fires as IA. But yea, I definitely would rather be on a shot crew. A lot of people in my district are in piss poor shape. I am in really good shape. I'll run 10 miles in an hour, I did the pack test in 31 min, etc. But also it seemed like if our engine goes out on our day off, we could get sent on any other crew once we are back in the office. Aka hand crews, shot crews, etc. I definitely would rather be on a shot crew cause I'm doing this to test my physical limits and I definitely don't want to just be hanging out all day. But the permanents made iet sound like, yea we have an engine, we have water, but we could be hikign 10+ miles into fires and doing fire line construction, etc.
    Yeah you can easily fill in on other crews. Not sure about during the height of the season but come September or so when people start leaving for school or being burnt out, as far as I know it's super common for people to hop around when they don't have work and national prep levels start falling

  20. #80095
    theonlysun81's Avatar
    Title
    _______
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    12,633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UrMomSkatesMongo View Post
    Yeah you can easily fill in on other crews. Not sure about during the height of the season but come September or so when people start leaving for school or being burnt out, as far as I know it's super common for people to hop around when they don't have work and national prep levels start falling
    Yea I plan on working through october and than going on unemployment for like 3 months. The soil scientist has told me he's down to work with me in teh summer, so I might get some GS6 work in wtih the GS4 work, but yea. I like government work. Everyone is so worreid about their career and its so big there is little micromanaging and you can get away with little mistakes.

  21. #80096
    mrkd. matt's Avatar
    Title
    Respected User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้&#
    Posts
    5,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisztomania View Post
    you interning with any company?
    No I haven't but I might have a job lined up working with horseshoe crab blood, which would be neato. However, I am graduating without debt so I might just manage my friends smoothie shop for the summer for that easy moolah and then travel a little bit before I go job-searching for something long-term.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaterTillDeath View Post
    Get Rad with the Lord, Matt.

  22. #80097
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drowning_fish View Post
    there's so many things in the world that i don't know about lol
    same lol, I'm realising this more and more as I go through my 20s

    20-23 I feel like I knew basically everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

  23. #80098

    Title
    Webmaster / Founder
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    gone
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlysun81 View Post
    Yea I plan on working through october and than going on unemployment for like 3 months. The soil scientist has told me he's down to work with me in teh summer, so I might get some GS6 work in wtih the GS4 work, but yea. I like government work. Everyone is so worreid about their career and its so big there is little micromanaging and you can get away with little mistakes.
    It's endlessly better than the contract world. I only stayed for expedited quals and I actually make more money pre/post season than any feds.

    Also it should be easy to go work in the south if you wanted to during the off season since all the rx burns are done then down there.

  24. #80099
    drowning_fish's Avatar
    Title
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    14,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stookie View Post
    same lol, I'm realising this more and more as I go through my 20s

    20-23 I feel like I knew basically everything
    yeah, i'm just getting right now into experimental film, which i always blew off, and am finding all these dvd's and books with amazing shit that was just sitting in the library this whole time, that i'd always walk past.
    loud black girls - wait what
    india songs
    "hell is other people" - the same guy who said "kissing a man without a mustache is like eating an egg without salt."
    "hell is also yourself." - r. crumb

  25. #80100
    Stookie's Avatar
    Title
    blunted in a 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    13,979

    Default

    Yeah I've been getting back into local punk, didn't realise there was a small underground scene here. I basically wrote off local music as being all folky shit as that's what's dominating the airwaves
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post
    decide it - go for it - live it - just do it - fake it to you make it - if you can dream it, you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddig View Post

    Skate, do strength training, eat healthy things, keep yuor mind healthy, open and clean, (don't fill it with bad news)
    Let the young people inspire you...
    / Henning
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I want to enter college looking sexy as fuck for the ladies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •