Title

Default Tight or loose wheels

Do you keep your wheels tight or loose. Loose meaning your wheels wobble
    i haz returned lolz

Title
    Naragansett Turkey Monkey

I tighten mine so they have just a tiny bit of room. My wheel once fell off while doing a manual, and ever since I've been checking them.

Title

I keep mine pretty tight now 'cus my wheel fell off the first time i did an ollie and i had to search for an hour the next day for the nut. >_<
    ------/\------\---------------/---_____---
    -----/--\------\-------------/----\--------
    ----/___\------\-----/\----/------\-------
    ---/-------\------\--/---\--/--------\------
    --/---------\------\/-----\/----------|-----
    -------------------------------------/------
    ------------------------------------/-------
    -------------------------------****--------
    --------------------Alien-------------------
    -----------------WorkShop-----------------

I tighten mine so that they have a little bit of room. Enough to wobble a little bit like 1mm.

Title
    Respected User

yea me 2^^^

thats kinda how they are "supposed" to be

like they cant be loose so that ur bearings dont contact the wheel but they havta be loose enuf to have them wiggle a tad so u dont crush the bearings and slow urself down
    Setup

Deck: Real Striped Pricepoint Small Deck
    Trucks: Krux Downlows Flat Black
    Bushings: White Doh Dohs
    Bearings: Bones Swiss
    Wheels: Darkstar Delusions 53mm
    Grip tape: Jessup
    Hardware: Upful Moons 1"
    Shoes: Fallen Patriots

Title

just alittle bit of wobleness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Title

I use washers and spacers so I am able to krank the nut down so there is NO wobble what so ever, and my bones still spin freely. This is because the spacers and washers take all the force of the nut, so the bearing isn't squished.

HAHA
    Weebles Wobble but they DONT fall down!

Title

medium
    no danger there
    COLA SKATE

fuck your setup

Title

kinda tight so no wobble but not so tight they make u go slower nd 4 me its easier 2 balance without ur wheels wobbling or having to worry that ur wheels r to lose and that they might come off

Title

Who gives a shit how tight your wheels are?
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Title
    Squares Need Not Apply

umm...i tighten them so they dont fall off but still move?

*Technical stuff warning*

I try to keep them on so the wheel only has a bit of play, but I can't always get it like that. Truck comapanies have axles so sloppy that it's not always possible. The side of the hangar usually is not perpendicular to the axle, so it stops the wheel from spinning freely when tightened. If anyone has tightened up the wheel, and flicked it lightly with their hand, and the wheel kind of pauses, then spins, then pauses, then spins, that's because of a unprecise axles.

By the way, truck axles are also undersized. Stock axles on trucks are 5/16" thick, but they are supposed to be 8mm thick. I do not understand why they undersize them though. With undersized axles, the bearing wobbles on the axle so much that it makes for a rougher, and slower ride.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    *Technical stuff warning*

I try to keep them on so the wheel only has a bit of play, but I can't always get it like that. Truck comapanies have axles so sloppy that it's not always possible. The side of the hangar usually is not perpendicular to the axle, so it stops the wheel from spinning freely when tightened. If anyone has tightened up the wheel, and flicked it lightly with their hand, and the wheel kind of pauses, then spins, then pauses, then spins, that's because of a unprecise axles.

By the way, truck axles are also undersized. Stock axles on trucks are 5/16" thick, but they are supposed to be 8mm thick. I do not understand why they undersize them though. With undersized axles, the bearing wobbles on the axle so much that it makes for a rougher, and slower ride.
    ive noticed that slight undersize as well

i think the reasoning is that it gives people the feeling that they fit better. since instead of more having to push them on, they kinda slide on loosly

also since they can get away with it, it might save them some money in the long run. the slight undersize might save them like an extra ounce of steal per batch of trucks (or however it would be measued and made) and if they make 100 batches of the trucks, itll give them 100 extra ounces

also makes the trucks slightly lighter, not anythin of substance im sure but oh well
    Setup

Deck: Real Striped Pricepoint Small Deck
    Trucks: Krux Downlows Flat Black
    Bushings: White Doh Dohs
    Bearings: Bones Swiss
    Wheels: Darkstar Delusions 53mm
    Grip tape: Jessup
    Hardware: Upful Moons 1"
    Shoes: Fallen Patriots

Title

i tighten mine jsut enough so like they barely move, but if you touch em you can still hear a slight sound. its hard to explain. like the wheels dont move, but you can still hear a sound that how much i tighten them. also if hteya re too loose they wont go as fast.

Title

i give it alittle bit of room but not loose

med not to tite or it screws your bearings and not to loose cuase then ithey mite fall off

Title
    Respected User

Mine are tightened to the point where you can feel it shifting but you cant' see it. The smallest amount of movement possible.

Title

mine are so tight that i crush the bearings everytime i go skating and have to buy new ones. when i push mongo the deck rolls 3cm, then i have to push again, and when i skate down a steep ramp i have to get someone to push me. i also soak my decks in water for several hours prior to first using them, so i snap the deck everytime i skate it and have to buy a new one. and my biggest ollie was over an ant. it took several attempts, but after stacking it 4 times after my truck landed on the ant and i flew face first forward i finally got it and will be releasing a pro skating video next thursday. it will be called 'stevens scrumtralescent skating saga with a vengeance 6'.
    ... as its temple / and its victim / my blood runs / on marble floors / just like some / insane circulation / back into my coroded heart... host

Quote Originally Posted by damo
    mine are so tight that i crush the bearings everytime i go skating and have to buy new ones. when i push mongo the deck rolls 3cm, then i have to push again, and when i skate down a steep ramp i have to get someone to push me. i also soak my decks in water for several hours prior to first using them, so i snap the deck everytime i skate it and have to buy a new one. and my biggest ollie was over an ant. it took several attempts, but after stacking it 4 times after my truck landed on the ant and i flew face first forward i finally got it and will be releasing a pro skating video next thursday. it will be called 'stevens scrumtralescent skating saga with a vengeance 6'.
    Not funny...

Anyway, the bearings would be faster tightened up (with spacers) if it wasn't for unprecise axles, and hangar face.

Title

I like mine just before tight...a little play, but nothing serious..

Title

Quote Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
    Not funny...

Anyway, the bearings would be faster tightened up (with spacers) if it wasn't for unprecise axles, and hangar face.
    it wasnt meant to be funny. it was simply a stupid answer to a stupid question
    ... as its temple / and its victim / my blood runs / on marble floors / just like some / insane circulation / back into my coroded heart... host

Title

Quote Originally Posted by dyingtolive
    I tighten mine so that they have a little bit of room. Enough to wobble a little bit like 1mm.
    For me like...I like 'em like 2mm-4mm

Title

its best to have them tight so you have no bump back and forth but not too tight just enought to put pressure on the truck side and the bolt side. when it bumps, it slows it down slightly and can make your bearing caps come off and then your balls will fall out. when its just right, it has no bump and it isnt to tight to make you stop. so tighten it just enough to when you move the wheel, there is no bump betwenn the wheel, truck, and bolt.

Title

Lightbulb

Are you really supposed to have any play at all? I mean, then the motion is not provided by bearing.

I mean, when doing other sorts of mechanic (automotive, bicycle, etc) tasks and working with the "inner and outer race" type bearings it is customary to tighten it fully, leaving no play at all, so that the actual bearing will do the spinning. This basic principle should apply for skateboards as well, shouldn't it?

I know that the vast majority of riders leave the small gap of play, making the wheels spin freely in the air. But is this really good practice? 🙄