Thread: Bass help

Title
    soldier of the streets

Default Bass help

How would some more advanced bassists recommend learning and staying consistent?

I have some guitar background, and a little acoustic too.

How did you learn? What are some good, basic songs to learn first?

Title
    Respected User

Just get sheet music, or tabs which are more readily available, from bands you like, and if it looks like you can play it, give it a shot. Once you get good enough you won't even need the tabs. I've been playing bass for about 7 years and I still do the same exact thing, it never gets old for me.

You can also try different techniques when you think you're ready. There are soooo many great things you can do on a bass, slapping, two hand tapping, harmonics basically anywhere on the string if you're good with harmonics, it's endless.

Title

just find songs that you like, learn them, maybe learn some music theory
    http://www.skateboard-city.com/messa...d.php?t=124159

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rate me please

Title
    soldier of the streets

Quote Originally Posted by sucka mothafcka stopper View Post
    Just get sheet music, or tabs which are more readily available, from bands you like, and if it looks like you can play it, give it a shot. Once you get good enough you won't even need the tabs. I've been playing bass for about 7 years and I still do the same exact thing, it never gets old for me.

You can also try different techniques when you think you're ready. There are soooo many great things you can do on a bass, slapping, two hand tapping, harmonics basically anywhere on the string if you're good with harmonics, it's endless.
    I can't read sheet music, but I do have a box of a couple tabs. I've already gotten into a little bit of slapping, and that brings me to my next point.

How do I actually apply slapping? I know how to do it, but I can't seem to find a situation in which I can use it. Right now, I basically just mess around with it.

So, could you think of a few basic songs for me, maybe beginner to novice level? Something that has slight difficulty, so I actually learn.

I can play about 5 songs right now, my best is probably the riff to "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by GetThunderStruck View Post
    I can't read sheet music, but I do have a box of a couple tabs. I've already gotten into a little bit of slapping, and that brings me to my next point.

How do I actually apply slapping? I know how to do it, but I can't seem to find a situation in which I can use it. Right now, I basically just mess around with it.

So, could you think of a few basic songs for me, maybe beginner to novice level? Something that has slight difficulty, so I actually learn.

I can play about 5 songs right now, my best is probably the riff to "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath.
    Higher Ground by RHCP has some slapping in it.

Title

my name is mud by primus is easy
    i learned it my first day playing bass so eh
    cignachur

Title
    Respected User

A lot of Chili's songs are great for beginner slap. Try Aeroplane, that's my favorite...(gotta throw in this vid of me playing it haha: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9D_SlWGIxnk) Try playing it slow at first, because it's a little tough. Eventually you'll get it, and it'll sound awesome.

You can apply slap basically anywhere, as long as you know how use it and you're tasteful with it.

Edit: All those songs that I played in that vid are pretty simple, if you play them slow at first. If you wanna try them, the second one is called "Skinny Sweaty Man", and the third is "Get Up and Jump"(a little tougher because it's supposed to be played fast). All by RHCP.
    Last edited by sucka mothafcka stopper; 10-09-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Title
    WILDCARD BITCHES!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

learn this first.

then try some scales, and harder things.

Title
    Respected User

Hahahaaa vic is soo funky.

Title
    soldier of the streets

Victor Wooten is crazy, but I seriously hope you aren't serious.

Thanks for the help, SMFS!

Title

play the little intro for sienfeld

Title
    Respected User

dazed and confused by zeppelin and any ramones.all are easy

Title

for more advanced playing look at some primus, less than jake, or iron maiden songs...most have some off the wall basslines youre not likely to find anywhere else
    "There is relationship George and independent George. Elaine is threatening independent George. A George divided against itself cannot stand"

Title
    The Art of Partying

Is everyone forgetting Go Skate by Suicidal Tendencies? It has sweet bass all throughout. Rob Trujillo is damn good, badass too.

The first thing I learned on bass was Bombtrack-Rage Against the Machine.

Title
    soldier of the streets

I downloaded all of the recommended songs, and got the Guitar Pro tabs for them, I'll start tomorrow!

Title

yea dude ive bene playing for 4 years got my first bass with the help of slapdown, but yea anyways id suggest starting out with some chilli peppers or even micheal jackson, sounds funny but thriller was the first song i learned and maybe some pinkfloyd its up so you. and slapping can be applyed anywere, like a bass solo for example slapping is fast and easy. Good luck.
    they call rap poetry so it must be hard to rite cause there is not many words that ryme with bitch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Sk8er View Post
    ^^who did you call a lmao?