Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Title
    Perma Banned

Default What Camera To Get(OFFICAL)

[Stickied unless another mod says otherwise, since I haven't read it at all as I am revising right now and cant be arsed. If enough people don't want it stickied / think it's useless then it'll be removed.]

Now there are so many threads asking what camera to get and everyone has to write what camera to get again and again, so I am going to take everything people have said to help and put it in one thread. The Users will be recognised. If you see anything else by these people or have something to contribute here to your own name then feel free to just say it here or PM it to me. If your name isn't there already just say something good and it will be added.

CSkateBoarding

i'm assuming you want digital, not 35mm. most point-and-shoot digital cameras have shutter delay, so if you want a better setup you'll have to get an SLR of some type, probably a used nikon d50 or a new d40, even maybe a used d70. if you want to go canon, you can find a digital rebel xt or 20d for pretty cheap these days. you'll most likely want a better lens than stock for any camera you get, 50mm f/1.8 is usually a good choice. if you want to learn how to use flashes, you might want to pick up some ebay wireless slaves along with a few vivitar 285hv flashes. you can get a whole flash setup for less than $100 if you look for deals on ebay. then some miscellaneous accessories you'll need are memory cards (CF or SD depending on what camera), tripod, flash stands (if you get flashes), filters, batteries, and a case to hold it all.

AnimeYuuki

i'm just getting into advanced photography and i shoot with a Film SLR and a Digital Point and Shoot.
    If you wanna go Film, get something classic like the Pentax K1000 or a Canon EOS 600. If you're going digital, go point and shoot. Kodak Easyshares are pretty popular, same with Pentax Optios.
    Just looking at the Panasonic FZ-50 right now, and if you're thinking about that, go with a Nikon D50 or a Canon EOS 10D (or any of the #D series.)
    Now, SLR's. There are two types of SLR. Just a regular SLR and a DSLR. SLR stands for Single lense reflex, which means that what you see through the veiwfinder, is exactly how the photo will turn out. DSLR means Digital Single Lense Reflex, which basically means the same thing, except with digital functions. With SLR's you can change your lense/flashes, which is an advantage.
    Then there are bridge cameras. Bridge cameras pack the quality of a SLR but lenses are not interchangable, so its basically a point and shoot with a hotshoe.
    Go with any of the cams i recommended above, but the Panasonic Lumix looks sweet aswell.

ok dude, you're gonna want to learn a bit more about photography before you go for anything in the nikon D series.
    take me for example, i shoot with a pentax optio 555, a camera designed for fat old white people to take photos on their shitty carribean cruises. i take good quality photos that look pretty good, if i do say so myself. I'm saving for a used Nikon D50, which i won't be getting till next year, and i've been shooting photos for a fair while.
    Learn to use all the functions on your samsung, learn about aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, rule of thirds, leading lines, keeping your skater in frame, and then start looking at a d40 or 50.

fuck nikon, get a canon
    ^i personally think both are better for different things.

I like how nikons are compatible with alot of things, and how alot of people use the D range, but i don't like the heavyness.

i like how canons are really usable, and are good for everything, but sometimes only run with Canon accessories.

To compare Nikons to Canons is like comparing Apples to Oranges. orang

SK8r_goth50

Dude dude dudes, now how much are you really willing to spend on a camera.
    It sounds like you want a digital and the only type of digital these days worth buyin( besides for a snap shot camera) would be a DSLR for example any nikon D series, in the Dseries the D40 is the basic and then you got your D40x, the d40x is a bit better for a bit more cash, not really too much of a differenc unless there is something particular about the difference. Anything above a D40 or a D40x would be great but the price just keeps going up.
    Then you got your other DSLR like your olympus which is the smallest DSLR out, and then the Canon rebels which have good enough stuff for a basic DSLR. I do not know about the Pentax k100 but it looks decent enough.
    Well thats DSLR's cleared up. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
    that lumix your looking at looking very topped up with manual features. One of the newer camera eh'.
    BTW megapiexel doesn't matter at all, it's just a gimmic, all it is to do with is zooming in on a photo after it has been taken and not losing clarity. That Lumix has a 10.2 megapixel which is excellent and you would be able to zoom it like alot after it has been taken and look great still.

Brenz

If you're just getting into photography, do not go all out and buy the best equipment, its like trying to tre flip before you can bomb a hill.... you end up with sloppy style as you haven't mastered the basics. The basics of photography are composition and exposure.
    Therefore, I recommend you go with any point and shoot camera/ compact, as they are relatively cheap etc. Once you feel you are being held back by it, this is when you move on onto better cameras.
    Great cameras don't mean great pictures, rememeber that.
    Kodak easyshare point and shoot cameras are really good, good image quality, plus you can buy a printer dock too, to easily print your work with high quality.

PukieMcpukster(Info about the D range by nikon)

he D40 is a refresh (and slight miniaturization) of the D50 body design with a major twist in the UI. Specifically, the body size, shape, and build are like a D50 that has successfully undergone a Weight Watchers program. Overall, the camera lost about 3 ounces and at least a quarter of a inch in every dimension (for you non-Americans, that's 70g and at least 7mm in every dimension). The primary notable differences from the D50 are the lack of a top LCD, a slightly brighter and larger viewfinder, a bigger color LCD on the back, and the OK button in the middle of the Autofocus direction pad. All of those things come into play when choosing between a D40 and a D50, by the way, so don't dismiss any small detail as unimportant.
    Here are the D40 (left), D50 (middle), and D80 (right) side by side for comparison:The D80 is only slightly bigger than the D50, but the D40 is significantly smaller than both of the others.
    The sensor in the D40 is the same 6mp CCD made by Sony that was used in the D50 (and D70s). The 6mp effective megapixels mean 3008 x 2000 pixel images, enough to produce straight-from-camera prints up to a little larger than 8x11" without resizing. The base ISO of the CCD is 200, with third-stop increments up through ISO 1600. You can also boost ISO one more stop, up to an effective ISO 3200.
    The sensor in the D40x is the same 10mp CCD made by Sony that was used in the D80. The 10mp means that you get 3872 x2592 pixel images, enough to produce straight-from camera prints up to almost 11x14" without resizing. The base ISO of the CCD is 100, otherwise the ISO capabilities of the two cameras are the same.
    As with the other Nikon bodies that use this sensor, flash sync on the D40 is arbitrarily limited to 1/500 (with non-TTL sources you can shoot flash at any shutter speed). Shutter speeds above 1/90 on the D40 are done electronically by the sensor, not by the shutter opening time. This allows for use of a less complex, lower-cost shutter, but it introduces the propensity for blooming when you include a very bright light source like the sun in the frame. D40x users will be slightly disappointed to learn that the all-mechanical shutter necessary for that camera's sensor means flash sync is limited to 1/200. Unfortunately, TTL FP is not supported on the D40x.
    Nikon has once again integrated a number of things into the D40 to address the potential for decreasing noise production versus the previous consumer cameras. For example, data is kept in 12-bit space right up until the final compression to an 8-bit JPEG. Second, the internal digitization engine has a noise reduction component in it. That, plus the fact that Nikon has a long, deep experience with this sensor and knows how to optimize the image data from it means that the D40 promises to be quite good in handling noise. When we get to the results section of the review, we'll talk more about whether or not Nikon was successful, but I'll preview the answer here: yes, they were.
    The D40 is a relatively poor IR or UV camera. Each successive Nikon round of DSLRs seem to have more and more IR and UV filtering, though the D40 seems to be about the same as the D50/D70 in this respect. If you want to shoot images outside the visible spectrum, you're either going to have to hold onto those old D1's and D100's, or have your D40 modified to remove that filtration. (As an aside: the D40 and D40x are a bit unusual in that disassembly to remove the IR filter will require unsoldering and resoldering some leads. This makes conversions much more complex and time consuming.) Curiously, Nikon seems to have taken a step backward on the antialiasing filter. The D40 seems to use a less aggressive one, more akin to the D70's filter than the D50's. That means that acuity is quite high right up to the Nyquist frequency, but moire can be triggered by fine detail. I suspect that Nikon wanted to make the D40 images perceived as being as sharp and detailed as possible given that it's a 6mp camera competing in a mostly 8 and 10mp world. The D40x is more like the slightly relaxed acuity you find in the D80, and thus less likely to produce moire. Note that the change in filtering doesn't mean that the D40 has more resolution than the D50 (I don't think it does--it certainly doesn't test significantly different), but all the internal changes (12-bit processing, improved imaging ASIC, relaxed AA filter) appears to give a slight perception of more sharpness in JPEG images than I find from my D50 using the same lens and settings. The D40x seems to be very close to the D80 in acuity, though as you bump up the ISO value with noise reduction turned on, the D40x seems to lose a bit of detail that the D80 doesn't (but that detail comes at the expense of slightly more noise on the D80).

Bleeding Boy

if you're not sure of what camera you're going to buy, read the EXPERT's opinion on SPECS. DON'T BASE your final thought of which you should buy.
    Reasons:
    1. they'll suggest something they've used and by their experience and changes of camera's body, they'll tell you that there had been better. which will right away confuse you. buy something that you're convinced with your research, unless you often follow people's ideas. but for me, D40 is ok for an entry level, though the D40x is an upgrade.
    2. you will use the camera, meaning you will manipulate it. you will learn with it. if you learn to manipulate it while learning the hard mode way,then you'll get better at photography. it takes skills and yes, the BODY is disposable. they always tell you the body is important, but here is the fact, STACK UP on LENSES, coz body, is disposeable as hell. sooner or later you'd want a nikon d80 or canon. most of them are standard in thread so you won't have problem with fitting. UV filters can be bought and inserted too, so that won't be a problem.
    3. all this camera has their own features, and future with your hands. your choice of weapon, doesn't really define the totality of your work alone, camera's are just tool. get one to capture your idea.
    D40 is ok if you ONLY have the budget for this one. if you can have anything higher, then go for it. it's a good camera.
    Last edited by Skater_goth; 08-13-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Title

i have a konica minolta 101lb, and i love it. i don't know shit about cameras really, but i wanted to get into it and my grandpa had it lying around and gave it to me.

NOTE - i love it, yet i don't know anything about cameras? stfu, don't get technical.

Title
    Perma Banned

Sticky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????? ??

Title

fuck nikon, get a canon
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Title
    Respected User

^i personally think both are better for different things.

I like how nikons are compatible with alot of things, and how alot of people use the D range, but i don't like the heavyness.

i like how canons are really usable, and are good for everything, but sometimes only run with Canon accessories.

To compare Nikons to Canons is like comparing Apples to Oranges. oranges ftw.

Title
    Perma Banned

^see if people say good things in this thread they get added under there name so people don't have to search through many pages to find info.(Please Sticky)

Title
    Respected User

Sticky!!!

Title
    Retired Staff

read edit.

laters :)
    Days Of The Phoenix
    -=============-
    I remember when I was told of story of crushed velvet, candle wax, and dried up flowers. The figure on the bed all dressed up in roses, calling.beckoning to sleep offering a dream. The words were as mystical as purring animals. The circle of rage the ghosts on the stage appeared. The time was so tangible I\\'ll never let it go. Ghost stories handed down, reached secret tunnels below. No one could see me. I fell into yesterday. Our dreams seemed not far away.

Title
    Perma Banned

^Ok dude I will be sure to put alot more info into this as it comes by the users. And Mod's don't usually come here so they probably woun't even see it anyway haha. Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r_goth50 View Post
    Bleeding Boy

if you're not sure of what camera you're going to buy, read the EXPERT's opinion on SPECS. DON'T BASE your final thought of which you should buy.
    Reasons:
    1. they'll suggest something they've used and by their experience and changes of camera's body, they'll tell you that there had been better. which will right away confuse you. buy something that you're convinced with your research, unless you often follow people's ideas. but for me, D40 is ok for an entry level, though the D40x is an upgrade.
    2. you will use the camera, meaning you will manipulate it. you will learn with it. if you learn to manipulate it while learning the hard mode way,then you'll get better at photography. it takes skills and yes, the BODY is disposable. they always tell you the body is important, but here is the fact, STACK UP on LENSES, coz body, is disposeable as hell. sooner or later you'd want a nikon d80 or canon. most of them are standard in thread so you won't have problem with fitting. UV filters can be bought and inserted too, so that won't be a problem.
    3. all this camera has their own features, and future with your hands. your choice of weapon, doesn't really define the totality of your work alone, camera's are just tool. get one to capture your idea.
    D40 is ok if you ONLY have the budget for this one. if you can have anything higher, then go for it. it's a good camera.
    Before you start telling people this, it will be a problem. Lenses for Canon aren't compatable with Nikon and vise versa. No one company has compatable lenses with another. If you start buying lenses, make sure your happy with the company your buying them from, as your more or less comitted. Filters are compatable, as long as its the same thread diameter. But lenses aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r_goth50 View Post
    AnimeYuuki
    There are two types of SLR. Just a regular SLR and a DSLR. SLR stands for Single lense reflex, which means that what you see through the veiwfinder, is exactly how the photo will turn out. DSLR means Digital Single Lense Reflex, which basically means the same thing, except with digital functions. With SLR's you can change your lense/flashes, which is an advantage.
    Your only half right. The composition will be exactly the same as you see it through the viewfinder, but you can change many other variables. For example, looking through the viewfinder you are looking at the picture-to-be if you were stopped down completely. So if you decided that F/4 was more adiquite for the idea you had in mind, the photo will look different from the viewfinder. If your white balance is off, it will look different. If you under or over expose it, it will look different. The list is endless.

To PukieMcPukester: Your missing a HUGE factor of the D50 that the D40 does not have. The D50 has a internal screw drive focusing motor. The D40 does not. What does that mean? That means that if you want to autofocus with prime lenses, such as the 50mm F/1.8, you need a D50. Or if you have older Nikon lenses that you want to use, you need a D50 in order to autofocus. The D40 counts on the fact that the newer Nikon zoom lenses have built in autofocus motors. If you only plan to use those, then it doesn't really matter.

Title

this isnt helpful, people should be starting out with cheap film slr's first for like a hundred dollars, this way they get practice rather than jumping to a 500 dollar kit.
    Gabba Gabba Hey

Title

Alison (the girl in a lot of my shots) got me this for my birthday, so rad

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Skatephotograpr View Post
    Your only half right. The composition will be exactly the same as you see it through the viewfinder, but you can change many other variables. For example, looking through the viewfinder you are looking at the picture-to-be if you were stopped down completely. So if you decided that F/4 was more adiquite for the idea you had in mind, the photo will look different from the viewfinder. If your white balance is off, it will look different. If you under or over expose it, it will look different. The list is endless.
    you're completely right. i should have mentioned that with aperture/wb changes completely change the view that you get throught the viewfinder, but the guy who i was writing it to wasn't very camera-wise and i didn't think i should go raving about F stops and white balance, shutter speed, ect. to him just yet.

but you are right..

That makes sense. Just trying to clear it up, as this is (maybe) helping people select cameras. I just don't want people buying SLR's because the picture you will get is the picture that you see through the viewfinder. A P&S will essencially that.

Title
    Respected User

Skater_goth, i think you should add that when you start taking photos you shouldn't rush into getting a DSLR, because you will end up regretting it, like notaskateaholic.

Title
    Perma Banned

^Yes, I added it, if I was smart enough to remember how to put things in red I would do it for it because it's important.

Title
    and say yeah

wow

Title
    Perma Banned

^what??

Title
    and say yeah

nothing, I think I posted in the wrong thread

Title
    Analyze and Interpret

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/395133245.html

is that an alright camera (good quality and for skating)? I don't have a camera so this would be my first if I got it.

Title
    Respected User

^that would be sick.

Title
    Analyze and Interpret

Alright I think I'll get that. I just have to raise $35 to do it

Title
    Respected User

This should be the stickied n00b topic.

Me contributing:

Ok, seeing as we get a lot of people wanting to know what the rule of thirds is, i've decided to make a retard proof guide.

The rule of thirds is a rule that a lot of photographers use to improve their composition. Imagine your camera viewfinder is split into a grid, with three colums and three rows. As a result of this, there is a series of lines covering your screen.

It is your job, as a good photographer, to make sure your most interesting subject is where the lines intersect. For a portrait, its the eyes, for a skate shot, its the skater, for a bowl of fruit, its the paticular fruit you want to catch peoples eyes.

Example:

(that is one of my photos.)

^^ How does that have anything to do with choosing a camera? Lets put it into the Photography Basics thread and sticky that.

Title
    Perma Banned

Yeah dude you have a point.