Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Respected User

Default the hardest part of skating

The first couple of months of skating are probably going to be the hardest parts of your entire skateboarding life (however long that may be). I seem to be finding a lot of threads in here where beginners are saying that they are having a real rough time skateboarding, and want to give up.

What many of you seem to think is that skateboarding starts easy and gets hard, when it is in fact the other way round. Learning all of the base parts of skateboarding is the hardest part, because it seems new. You do not suck because you've been skating a month and you can't ollie, just keep going, look up some vids on youtube giving tips or better yet, ask someone in person for help.

I remember I considered quitting skating a lot of times when I was a begginer, but y'now what I'd do. I would go watch a video of my favorite skater and say to myself "that is who I want to be." and after that I would get right back up and start skating

also remember, to not stick hard to one style of skating. Try a bit of everything, If you think you are a vert skater, still stick with the street a little bit, only being able to skate vert, or only being able to skate street may screw you up in the future.

Remember that in order to enjoy skating, you must move at your own pace, do what you feel like you need to learn. Not what you think will impress others, and don't just skate to try and be someone else. Skate for yourself.

So guys, if you think you really suck, and other people also tell you you suck, don't listen to yourself or them, keep on going, learn the basics, and you'll be on your way to easy street in no time.
    Last edited by Sk8maniac; 08-01-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Title
    Respected User

Yeah thats definately true.

I find myself learning new tricks way easier now, when back when i first started i would have to look up tips for everything.

But i guess, as you progress you start to do bigger stairs, drops, rails etc.
    Just be ready for what you are doing.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by PimpinKid View Post
    Yeah thats definately true.

I find myself learning new tricks way easier now, when back when i first started i would have to look up tips for everything.

But i guess, as you progress you start to do bigger stairs, drops, rails etc.
    Just be ready for what you are doing.
    yes actually same here, I might add that in.

Title

I've been skating a day now (WOOP-DE-DO!) and im finding it no so much hard as experimental...Im trying a load of new stuff that i REALLY enjoy...I expect ill find it harder when i start trying to ollie and stuff.

Title

I still feel myself a beginner at skateboarding, even if I'm at 1 1/2 years of skateboarding. Think of things that could go on in the future. James Jamerson lands the first 3600 spin on a half-pipe! The first rocket skateboard is released! Hover-boards!!! We are all beginners in my opinion.

We may be the next generation of skateboarding, but we are the revolution just beginning. Long live Skateboarding!
    "End emotional speech"

Fellow teens, stick with what you've started. If you end now, you'll be haunted by The Cheat!
    Last edited by The Cheat; 07-30-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: zsdrghzdhsdhsfhsfhsrthtrh

Title

fuck..i lost my ollies..i came back from s sesh now, and i cant ollie, yesterday i could.
    could it be cuz im shit tired ?
    and i almost landed my first shuvit today (front foot on, back foot only heel toching)

Title

Yeah it's true for beginners, To learn faster, you need ONE FUCKING THING! The stupid fucking commitment shit.... If you wont commit, It will take you forever to land the fuckin' trick
    Last edited by blackgoat; 07-31-2007 at 04:14 AM.

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Ca$per View Post
    fuck..i lost my ollies..i came back from s sesh now, and i cant ollie, yesterday i could.
    could it be cuz im shit tired ?
    and i almost landed my first shuvit today (front foot on, back foot only heel toching)
    yeah well sometimes you have bad days, keep trying

Title

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    I still feel myself a beginner at skateboarding, even if I'm at 1 1/2 years of skateboarding. Think of things that could go on in the future. James Jamerson lands the first 3600 spin on a half-pipe! The first rocket skateboard is released! Hover-boards!!!
    James Jamerson the bass player?
    The hardest part of skateboarding is falling on your ass and getting up again and going for it, no matter what some asshole jock says to you.

Title
    Respected User

yeah, it took me 4 years to learn how to ollie, but i never gave up.
    but i count myself as skating for about 7 months because i started again after a year of being grounded in december.
    deyum

Title

back in teh day when i was a noob to skating i only wanted to quite once because it constantly snowed for like 3 weeks so i keep losing tricks and i just learned to pop shov, but my freind keep me into it.

Title

Its probly also really hard 1st few months because kickflips are a bitch to learn when u 1st start

Title

Yeah, it starts off hard, then get's easier. After about 4 months of skating I started to get bored of it. New tricks were to hard to learn, I was afraid of hurting myself. In general, skating started to piss me off. However, I was trying to hard to be like everyone else. I wanted to do the amazing tricks on rails and stuff, however, I was smart enough to realize it would take forever to get to that level, and I was getting nowhere. I used to joke around saying, skateboarding sucks, I'm gonna quit. But in reality, that's how I really felt.
    ...then...it dawned on me. I think it was because of hearing Mike Vallely and Rodney Mullen talk about skating, but at one point, I was just like, screw being like other people. I've always believed in being seperate from people. But when I first started skating, I was trying to be like other people. I changed stuff up, I learned what I wanted to learn. I skated when I wanted to skate, instead of forcing myself to skate to get better. And most importantly, I stopped caring about getting good. And that's when I fell in love with skating. I started to do my own thing, I started to do it for fun. I learned tricks that alot of people would criticize, because they weren't "new school." But heck, like I cared. I was having fun. And now, I don't learn new stuff extremely easy, but I learn it fast enough.
    To put things simply, I did whatever I felt like doing. Haha, I don't have any guidelines for skateboarding, I just do it. Without even trying to learn new tricks, I go out there and have fun. It might be a couple of months before I decide to learn a new trick.
    I love skateboarding :)
    I would always hate it when I went to weddings and my grandparents would pinch my cheeks saying "your next." Well, they recently stopped doing that when I did the same thing to them at funerals.

Title

its true that skating is hard. today ,after maybe a day of practice, i landed my first ollie on black top, all though it wasn't perfect and i was stationary it was good enough for a beginner like me so I'm gonna go out tomorrow and keep at it.
    Current board setup
    Trucks:Krux Downlows
    Deck:ZERO Shallow Grave
    Bearings:Reds Bones Reds
    Wheels:Flip Hell on Wheels
    Other:Jessup Griptape, Lucky Hardware, Adio CKY

Moving Ollies [ ]
    Manuals [ ]
    Pop Shove Its [ ]
    Skating Since : August. 29, 2007

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by ArcadianWarrior View Post
    Yeah, it starts off hard, then get's easier. After about 4 months of skating I started to get bored of it. New tricks were to hard to learn, I was afraid of hurting myself. In general, skating started to piss me off. However, I was trying to hard to be like everyone else. I wanted to do the amazing tricks on rails and stuff, however, I was smart enough to realize it would take forever to get to that level, and I was getting nowhere. I used to joke around saying, skateboarding sucks, I'm gonna quit. But in reality, that's how I really felt.
    ...then...it dawned on me. I think it was because of hearing Mike Vallely and Rodney Mullen talk about skating, but at one point, I was just like, screw being like other people. I've always believed in being seperate from people. But when I first started skating, I was trying to be like other people. I changed stuff up, I learned what I wanted to learn. I skated when I wanted to skate, instead of forcing myself to skate to get better. And most importantly, I stopped caring about getting good. And that's when I fell in love with skating. I started to do my own thing, I started to do it for fun. I learned tricks that alot of people would criticize, because they weren't "new school." But heck, like I cared. I was having fun. And now, I don't learn new stuff extremely easy, but I learn it fast enough.
    To put things simply, I did whatever I felt like doing. Haha, I don't have any guidelines for skateboarding, I just do it. Without even trying to learn new tricks, I go out there and have fun. It might be a couple of months before I decide to learn a new trick.
    I love skateboarding :)
    great post. would give you rep if I could. gonna edit my first post

Title

skating is the thing that i hate most in the world, frustration gets me every session, but the feeling of landing something big down a gap, or even a new trick is incredible, and i love that, and it totally overwhelms the frustration everytime

Title

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8maniac View Post
    The first couple of months of skating are probably going to be the hardest parts of your entire skateboarding life (however long that may be). I seem to be finding a lot of threads in here where beginners are saying that they are having a real rough time skateboarding, and want to give up.

What many of you seem to think is that skateboarding starts easy and gets hard, when it is in fact the other way round. Learning all of the base parts of skateboarding is the hardest part, because it seems new. You do not suck because you've been skating a month and you can't ollie, just keep going, look up some vids on youtube giving tips or better yet, ask someone in person for help.

I remember I considered quitting skating a lot of times when I was a begginer, but y'now what I'd do. I would go watch a video of my favorite skater and say to myself "that is who I want to be." and after that I would get right back up and start skating

Remember that in order to enjoy skating, you must move at your own pace, do what you feel like you need to learn. Not what you think will impress others, and don't just skate to try and be someone else. Skate for yourself.

So guys, if you think you really suck, and other people also tell you you suck, don't listen to yourself or them, keep on going, learn the basics, and you'll be on your way to easy street in no time.
    Yeah, so many morons out there is shouting "Hey you Woodcoholic, LOL"

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    Dang It!

Title

Quote Originally Posted by 360flipskater View Post
    Its probly also really hard 1st few months because kickflips are a bitch to learn when u 1st start
    Not just as hard as hell, but it is very fuckin difficult, gonna leave the park for almost a month or two

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Dang It!

Title
    Perma Banned

you lost you ollies you goddamb poser your sooo dumb do more ollies

Title

Don't listen to this guy... I think he's just trying to get himself banned or something, making stupid-ass threads and spamming...

So yeah don't even trip about what he said, I lost my ollies (kind of) too a little while ago but I just remember to keep on using the right technique and got them higher again. So don't trip about this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimcity View Post
    I'm afraid that too many people are taking skateboarding seriously in the wrong way, you know?
    I mean, I take skateboarding seriously, but seriously in the sense that I feel that it's important to keep skating because of how fun it is. A lot of cats take skateboarding seriously in a competitive sort of way, and I think they have a large chance of burning themselves out... Skating's just the best.

Title
    Perma Banned

I finds skating is hard when you start and like you are by yourself and all the good skaters watch and laugh at you. Its not true they probly to shy or watever to talk to them like you are to them. But through time skting gets great you meet mad people you would never met if you werent skating. That are like you that just wanna skate its great

Quote Originally Posted by 1701990 View Post
    I've been skating a day now (WOOP-DE-DO!) and im finding it no so much hard as experimental...Im trying a load of new stuff that i REALLY enjoy...I expect ill find it harder when i start trying to ollie and stuff.
    Im noob too...
    92% of teenagers have moved to rap if u are part of the 8% that have stayed with rock put this in ur sig

Title

It really takes a few months to get going, but when u do it all becomes natural, like last month I got the ollie and its been getting better since, if you have trouble getting used to here are tips

1. skate with friends that know what they're doing

2. skate 1-4 hours a day, you get the feeling of it

3. practice a trick like 30 times then take a break

4. dont stick with one style, (street/vert) switch every now and then

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by Skate_Moose View Post
    It really takes a few months to get going, but when u do it all becomes natural, like last month I got the ollie and its been getting better since, if you have trouble getting used to here are tips

1. skate with friends that know what they're doing

2. skate 1-4 hours a day, you get the feeling of it

3. practice a trick like 30 times then take a break

4. dont stick with one style, (street/vert) switch every now and then
    more added to first post.

Title

i find that all the times that i have really bad days are when i am with my friends because he is better than me but only by a little
    and he can kickflip and i can only varial kickflip