Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Title

Hey guys, first post here :D
    so basically I just started skating and i got a cheap board off some dude. i took the wheels off and found abec-3 bearings and when i spun them they spun fine, but i took the c-ring and metal shields off anyways and cleaned and oiled the bearings and wiped the c-ring and metal shields clean. then i spun the bearings without the shields on and it spun really clean and nice. however once i put the shields and c-ring back on, the bearing barely spins. I have no idea why this is happening, i did everything perfectly. any suggestions? this is really getting to me

Title

Default Dialysis Technician Salary

A fast-track medical career that shows a promising outlook for the future, is that of a dialysis technician. <a href="Dialysis Technician Salary
    ">Dialysis Technician Salary
    </a>

Title

Default bones reds

best way to go,

Title

Quick question: Can I just remove shields/seals and clean them with water, blow dry, lube.

I don't like having to use paint thinner every week, but I have to clean my bearings every week because they get so dirty and I'm a ocd about these things. I'd make sure that I COMPLETELY dry them off to prevent rust, I'm not going to get lazy with something like this.

Title

water is a weak solvent. you actually want something stronger- i use 90% or more rubbing alcohol and it really does the trick. then i dry and lube....
    Current Ride
    Your Mom...

Backup Ride
    Your Sister...

Title

Ah I forgot to mention that this would be a quick clean up. I would do the hardcore clean with paint thinner every month or two. Is it okay to use water for a quick clean up?

Title

What bearings would you recommend for a beginner?

Title

depends on your budget.
    If you want good quality at a great price go with Bones Reds.
    If you want to go a little higher you could go for some Super Reds or Lucky abec 5.
    And if you have a ton of money go with bones swiss.
    Setup:

Deck: Habitat origin 7.62

Trucks: Thunder lows

Wheels: 53 Spit classics

Bearings: Luckys abec 5

Hardware: Shortys

Grip: whatever the hell i can get

Shoes: Lakai Pico

Title

$24 = a ton of money LOL
    Current Ride
    Your Mom...

Backup Ride
    Your Sister...

Title
    Respected User

When I was 15 $24 was a ton of money... that was 2 grams and a big mac meal!

Title

$10/ gram??? that deal never made it out here.
    Current Ride
    Your Mom...

Backup Ride
    Your Sister...

Title
    Respected User

Quote Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
    $10/ gram??? that deal never made it out here.
    15/g or 20 for 2. always, most I ever paid.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by sam123 View Post
    What bearings would you recommend for a beginner?
    Hey man head over to muirskate.com and get some magic bearings, 7.99 and they last a lot longer than reds IMO.

Title

still looking at bearings guys, whats the best abec to have?

Title

What do you guys think about Independent's Bearings? I just got Independent 7s because I heard great things about them, they come with spacers and speedrings as well! I ask because they're on my new set-up which i'm not planning to use anytime soon.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------Wear Your Lifestyle-----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------VENNDK8.COM---------------------------------------------------------------

I emailed NHS about the Indy bearings...Made in China which means cheapo bearings - probably average to poor quality like most skate bearings out there. Also, I don't know what kind of spacers they included, but most spacers that come with skate bearings suck. They're usually alloy or aluminum, which means they deform when you tighten your wheels down...totally defeats the purpose of spacers and can even cause your wheels to lock up a little. I've actually seen some spacers that are so crappy they shred a little bit on the inner bearing race and send little shavings of alloy/aluminum into your bearings. Bottom line, if you want to use spacers, buy heavy duty steel spacers separately and throw the alloy/aluminum spacers in the trash.

Title

Quote Originally Posted by brokenheadphone View Post
    I emailed NHS about the Indy bearings...Made in China which means cheapo bearings - probably average to poor quality like most skate bearings out there. Also, I don't know what kind of spacers they included, but most spacers that come with skate bearings suck. They're usually alloy or aluminum, which means they deform when you tighten your wheels down...totally defeats the purpose of spacers and can even cause your wheels to lock up a little. I've actually seen some spacers that are so crappy they shred a little bit on the inner bearing race and send little shavings of alloy/aluminum into your bearings. Bottom line, if you want to use spacers, buy heavy duty steel spacers separately and throw the alloy/aluminum spacers in the trash.
    Really? I've heard so many great things about them outside the forums and decided to buy a pack. Hopefully they perform well, because Bones Reds are made in China as well but they still work rather well!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------Wear Your Lifestyle-----------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------VENNDK8.COM---------------------------------------------------------------

Title

Quote Originally Posted by brokenheadphone View Post
    ...Also, I don't know what kind of spacers they included, but most spacers that come with skate bearings suck...
    i'm my experience, its the wheels that suck. i havent found a set of non-cored wheels that bearing spacers actually work well on. i measure the spacers using a mic to 0.001 +/- 0.0005 and they usually are all in the same ballpark within brands.
    that being said, helen keller could tell by a quick glance that the cores/bearing seats on my spitfire wheels are totally misaligned....
    Current Ride
    Your Mom...

Backup Ride
    Your Sister...

Title

i was kind of bummed when my reds lasted for only 2 months, thought they were supposed to last for 3 or 4.
    or maybe cuz i oiled them when you have to use that speed cream(grease?) stuff?
    but reading this thread it sounds like its average life span. got ninja abec5 today. fast.
    feelin' 18 though am 28...