PDA

View Full Version : guitar for a beginner

PA_sKaTeR
05-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I was wondering which one of these would be a good guitar for a beginner.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU330700

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU301605

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIJX121

Also, I was playing my friends guitar, and he taught be the intro to brainstew by greenday and told me just to play the E string. Will this help me or should i just trying playing the the real thing?

sucka mothafcka stopper
05-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't get a Squire. Odds are it won't stay in tune for shit. If you can wait a little while, save up and get a Fender Mexi Strat, you'll be glad you did. If you insist on getting a pack, I'd go with the Ibanez.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
05-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Squires are a huge waste of money. Get a peavey.

jpharaoh69
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM

peaveys suck too, guitar-wise. theyre amps are great though.

anyway, your best bet is to not get a squier. and in general, packs suck. so for about an extra hundred you can get a setup ten times better.

for example. an ibanez rg321mh(280$) and a roland cube(100$). get a strap and cable and its about 100$ more, yet way way better. trust me.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

usuckhugeonez
05-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I have a squier affinity series J-Bass and it's actually really good.

Marevix
05-14-2007, 03:30 PM

If you're looking for quality manufacturing/materials and a good tone, maybe. Beginners don't need that, and Squiers are some of the cheapest functional guitars available.

sucka mothafcka stopper
05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a squier affinity series J-Bass and it's actually really good.

Actually I noticed that too. I had a Squier J-Bass for a little while and it felt almost EXACTLY like my Fender Mexi J. The Fender sounded a little better but the build quality was almost exact. I even took them both apart and there really isn't much difference. But the Squire guitars are NOTHING compared to Fender Mexi strats though, mainly because I've never played one that would stay in tune.

PA_sKaTeR
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
how about this one?
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAGRG170DX
I dont want to spend more than $300 so if you guys have better reccomendations than this one, try to keep them at or less than $300.

sucka mothafcka stopper
05-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't get something made from basswood.

Marevix
05-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Actually I noticed that too. I had a Squier J-Bass for a little while and it felt almost EXACTLY like my Fender Mexi J. The Fender sounded a little better but the build quality was almost exact. I even took them both apart and there really isn't much difference. But the Squire guitars are NOTHING compared to Fender Mexi strats though, mainly because I've never played one that would stay in tune.

My Bullet needs retuning every 3-4 days minimum (I play 3-4 hours a day), and it only takes about 2-3 minutes to solve that. Your point?

sucka mothafcka stopper
05-14-2007, 04:58 PM
^My point is Squires are shit, and why buy a guitar that can't even stay in tune when you can get something at least half way decent for the same price? Anyone with any knowledge of guitar will tell you that Squire guitars are crap. They are made like crap, they sound like crap, the intonation is ALWAYS off, even the first day you bring it home. I've had probably 6 or 7 Squires in the 8 years I've been playing guitar, not one of them has been decent.

its 10:23
05-14-2007, 05:06 PM

+1
peavey str=arter pack i got mine 2 years ago and i still have it and its good
but the input cords for peavey starter packs are shit they break in seriously 3 days

its 10:23
05-14-2007, 05:08 PM
If you're looking for quality manufacturing/materials and a good tone, maybe. Beginners don't need that, and Squiers are some of the cheapest functional guitars available.

strater packs for squires or peaveys are like 150-200$
but threadstarter dont spend alot unless you really know youll stick with it, id wait a week and if if you really have been liking your friends guitar, or go without playing it and really wanna play id say get a starter pack

Marevix
05-14-2007, 05:33 PM
^My point is Squires are shit, and why buy a guitar that can't even stay in tune when you can get something at least half way decent for the same price? Anyone with any knowledge of guitar will tell you that Squire guitars are crap. They are made like crap, they sound like crap, the intonation is ALWAYS off, even the first day you bring it home. I've had probably 6 or 7 Squires in the 8 years I've been playing guitar, not one of them has been decent.

1. You tell me where I can get a half decent guitar for $80 dollars, then I'll believe that. It's no secret that Squiers are the low-end of the guitar spectrum (they're designed as budget guitars, for fuck's sake), but they're functional and you can learn just about anything on them until you transition to a quality guitar.

2. You need a good tone for recording and performances. Beginners don't/shouldn't do either. Therefore, beginners don't need a good tone.

3. My Squier stays in tune enough for me to not be bothered by it, and I can play anything on it that I can play on an $800 dollar Gibson with the same fret and string number. I don't expect or need anything more from a practice guitar.

sucka mothafcka stopper
05-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Whatever you say Mr. Music.

Turboz
06-13-2007, 05:58 AM
anything yamaha

Ynot
06-13-2007, 06:13 AM
if you're just starting, get an acoustic because
-it's cheaper
-no amp needed/no feedback
-the strings can help you build strength in your hands
-if you end up not wanting to play guitar anymore, you can find solace in the fact that you didn't waste money on an expensive electric guitar

skatelisten
06-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I would go with Ibanez starter pack.

kristian
06-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Get the Ibanez starter pack if you must get a starter pack.

reptiskate52
06-13-2007, 10:52 AM
I actually have a GRX right now and it plays pretty good. GRGs are almost the same, get it.

Skaterdude
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Why would it take 7 Squiers to convince you that they're not worth buying? They're beginner guitars, of course they aren't going to be as fantastic as the latest Ibanez or Gibson. It's probably the best beginner I know of too.

Skaterdude
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
if you're just starting, get an acoustic because
-it's cheaper
-no amp needed/no feedback
-the strings can help you build strength in your hands
-if you end up not wanting to play guitar anymore, you can find solace in the fact that you didn't waste money on an expensive electric guitar

That's actually pretty good advice. Listen to this guy.

sk8jrzy4life
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
if ur just learning learn on an acustic so if you dont like it u dont waste ur mony on amps ect.