PDA

View Full Version : active elecronics

Klausfloride
10-22-2005, 05:23 PM
What the hell is active electronics, ive only really played two basses in my life and they don't have, so what the hell is it?

zup
10-23-2005, 03:39 AM
basically you put a 9V battery in the back of your bass. Then you have a 2 band EQ (on the bass) so you can change bass/treble without having to mess around with your amp.

i might be totally wrong though.....

EDIT: this is a million times better explained from ..
http://www.basscrawler.org/columns/bass-kahuna/index.php/kahuna-bass-shop/2005/07/09/the_difference_between_active_and_passiv

The Difference Between Active and Passive Pickups
The term "passive" when used in talking about an electric bass refers to the fact that the volume and tone controls on the instrument can only cut or turn down the volume and the treble of the signal being generated by the pickup. If you were to remove the controls and wire the pickup directly to the output jack on the b**** you would basically have the same sound as if the controls were still there and turned up all the way. The controls do not "add" anything, only subtract or take away volume and treble. This is why passive electronics on a bass do not have seperate treble and bass controls, just one tone pot.

"Active" is when you have a small electronic pre-amp built into the bass. There is no such thing as an "active" pickup. The EMG actives are still a passive pickup, but with a small on-board pre-amp built right into the pickup cover so you don't see it. The "Active" pre amp allows you to cut AND add volume and tone. Typically they allow you to cut or add +/- 9 to 18 dB of volume, treble, b**** and some pre-amps have a midrange control as well.

An active system will not change the overall tone or "timbre" of your instrument, but will simply give you more of what the instrument already has to offer. A p-bass with an active pickup still sounds like a p-b**** but you have a stronger signal and more cut/boost of the treble and bass. Don't look for an active pre-amp to make a p-bass sound like a Warwick or vice versa...

Vivica
10-23-2005, 03:42 AM
yep, you are completely and utterly wrong...

you DO put a 9V battery in the back of your bass (or with some older guitars)

what it is, is it works with what are called active pickups, which use the power from the batteryenhance the sound coming from the pickups

it means that when you have the power on you get a louder and richer sound, and get it all without as much attack on the strings.

i like them sometimes, but they're not always a good thing.

Klausfloride
10-23-2005, 10:46 AM
so basivally it gives you more options with wih tone. I new it has something to do with a nattery. their is this one i like at this shop i like that has ative.

Vivica
10-23-2005, 11:08 AM
its not really all about tone no...

its about a better sound, and a louder sound, without the same amount of attack on the strings.

Klausfloride
10-23-2005, 02:54 PM
so ist like a better quality saound, or just louder? why would you need more volume just turn the amp up. i think im missing something, but its not a big deal just a question i was pondering one day.

Vivica
10-24-2005, 12:44 AM
it all depends on the sound you want... you can get alot of nice sounds with passive pick ups, but with active pickups you tend to get a richers, fuller sound.

and no, its not just a case of "you may as well turn the amp up"

the only way i think you can understand it, is to find a bass with active pickups, plug it into the active bass input of a good amp, turn the active pickups off... and then play something.
then turn the pickups on, and listen to the difference.