PDA

View Full Version : Music institutions

Skaterdude
02-08-2007, 07:47 PM
After much thought (Trust me, ALOT of thought), I've decided that I'm willing to move to pursue further education and possibly a career in music further down the line. I wish to apply at a music/guitar institute and work my level of music education up to eventually (Very hopefully) work my way into applying at GIT.

I'm wondering if any of you happen to know of any music institutions that would accept students with no previous background in music education.

BLacklabel/\
02-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't know man that would be a stretch...

Skaterdude
02-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't know man that would be a stretch...

For sure. I'm willing to take it though.

drowning_fish
02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Get guitar lessons immediately. Study up on theory, that's going to be a major part of it for sure... I'm looking into maybe applying to a digital arts/music university... Dunno how it's going to go with my parents though... They'll probably be for it because it involves computers and my dad loves anything using computers basically

Skaterdude
02-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Get guitar lessons immediately. Study up on theory, that's going to be a major part of it for sure... I'm looking into maybe applying to a digital arts/music university... Dunno how it's going to go with my parents though... They'll probably be for it because it involves computers and my dad loves anything using computers basically

I'm taking lessons right now, and I'm starting to get introduced to a little bit of music theory.

drowning_fish
02-08-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm taking lessons right now, and I'm starting to get introduced to a little bit of music theory.

Alright shweet

Klausfloride
02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
How old are you, in if still in school what grade? I don't know much about music institutions, but its alot like all other colleges. You must apply and if they deem you a desired student they will accept you. With art school they must see your portfolio, so I'm guessing along the lines of something musica. Just find more info on music schools.

Skaterdude
02-09-2007, 12:44 PM
How old are you, in if still in school what grade? I don't know much about music institutions, but its alot like all other colleges. You must apply and if they deem you a desired student they will accept you. With art school they must see your portfolio, so I'm guessing along the lines of something musica. Just find more info on music schools.

I'm about to be 15 and in the 9th grade. I asked because I know that there are some schools (I think RATM mentioned that he went to one) where it doesn't matter how old you are.

Klausfloride
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm about to be 15 and in the 9th grade. I asked because I know that there are some schools (I think RATM mentioned that he went to one) where it doesn't matter how old you are.

Oh, I though you were talking about colleges like MIT(the musical one not the technology one). Never mind then...

Ipswitch
02-09-2007, 08:21 PM
15? Thats too young to decide on what you want to be. Get into music, love it, study it, learn as much as possible, and junior year if your still as interested as you are right now, then start thinking about a career.

Go to Berklee though. Its in Boston. My house is like a half hour from Boston, so I took a few lessons there. The teachers are AMAZING, and studying at Berklee is unlike any other.

But what music category are you intrested in? Preformence? Theory? Engineering? Education?

Skaterdude
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
15? Thats too young to decide on what you want to be. Get into music, love it, study it, learn as much as possible, and junior year if your still as interested as you are right now, then start thinking about a career.

Go to Berklee though. Its in Boston. My house is like a half hour from Boston, so I took a few lessons there. The teachers are AMAZING, and studying at Berklee is unlike any other.

But what music category are you intrested in? Preformence? Theory? Engineering? Education?

Performance and theory. Possibly education further down the line.

Ipswitch
02-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Performance and theory. Possibly education further down the line.

What genres do you like to play

drowning_fish
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Hmm, this sounds really interesting... By the way, ipswitch, I'm going to the local music store to learn up on trombones and get trombone lessons... Just thought you'd like to know

GetWrecked77
02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe the Berkley School Of Music. I've gotten brochures from them (and I have no idea why). It seems expensive, but if it's really what you want to do maybe you should look into it.

Skaterdude
02-10-2007, 12:22 AM
What genres do you like to play

Meh, I just play anything that I like. Mostly classic rock-ish stuff, but there are many exceptions.

Ipswitch
02-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Hmm, this sounds really interesting... By the way, ipswitch, I'm going to the local music store to learn up on trombones and get trombone lessons... Just thought you'd like to know

Sweet bro! If you get great at it, I guerentee you'll get a lot of band invites. Good grass players are VERY hard to come across... at least in my town.

Maybe the Berkley School Of Music. I've gotten brochures from them (and I have no idea why). It seems expensive, but if it's really what you want to do maybe you should look into it.
Yeah, if you want to go to a music school, Berklee is definitely the one. Its so great. My cousin goes there for producing/engineering, and he loves it so much.
Another school you might want to look into is Northeastern University, which is also in downtown Boston (Boston has so many colleges, its crazy.) Northeastern offers a 5 year program that gives you a 1 year internship with a company of your choice. So if you majored in music, for 1 year you would be an intern at a record label or something like that. How crazy would that be. That would be fucking crazy. One of my friends friends goes there for music, so he's doing the internship.

I dont know why I know so much about colleges. I'm only a freshman in high school...

drowning_fish
02-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Sweet bro! If you get great at it, I guerentee you'll get a lot of band invites. Good grass players are VERY hard to come across... at least in my town.

[QUOTE0Maybe the Berkley School Of Music. I've gotten brochures from them (and I have no idea why). It seems expensive, but if it's really what you want to do maybe you should look into it.
Yeah, if you want to go to a music school, Berklee is definitely the one. Its so great. My cousin goes there for producing/engineering, and he loves it so much.
Another school you might want to look into is Northeastern University, which is also in downtown Boston (Boston has so many colleges, its crazy.) Northeastern offers a 5 year program that gives you a 1 year internship with a company of your choice. So if you majored in music, for 1 year you would be an intern at a record label or something like that. How crazy would that be. That would be fucking crazy. One of my friends friends goes there for music, so he's doing the internship.

I dont know why I know so much about colleges. I'm only a freshman in high school...[/QUOTE]

Ha yeah, I know. I called the music store and they said they don't have any teachers though... So I'm pissed about that. I'm hopeful I can find something on craigslist though.