PDA

View Full Version : bass guitar

Rhandezvous
02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I was planning to learn how to play the bass guitar but
my dad wants me to learn acoustic 'normal' guitar first

so my question is is it better if i go acoustic first and why?

ToxicSkater
02-07-2007, 03:04 PM
It all depends on what you'd rather play.
Oh, and this should be in the music forum.

Rhandezvous
02-07-2007, 03:08 PM
argh i suck at makeing threads in the right forums :/

ToxicSkater
02-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I think bass is more fun though.
If you get one get a Dean, they are sweet!

sucka mothafcka stopper
02-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah it depends on what you wanna play. I take it your dad isn't too into music or doesn't play an instrument, so he just thinks acoustic guitar is the "norm" for a beginner. I've been playing bass since I can remember and I love it more than I could ever like guitar. If you want a bass and he won't get it for you 'cause he thinks you should get an acoustic, just save up for a bass, you won't be dissapointed.

I'd suggest a Mexican made Fender Jazz for your first. So much tonal variety, extremely nice to play, and amazingly well built for the price.

Klausfloride
02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
What the fuck is a "normal" guitar. Just play a bass if you want too.

drowning_fish
02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Can't you just get an acoustic bass? And I think it would be good to learn a guitar just so you have that additional instrument that you can play. It has it's benefits... But do whatever you want... Personally, I wish I had learned a bunch of other instruments back when I started guitar but I'm starting to branch out now and am experimenting with new instruments... Trombone, I will conquer you some day!

Ynot
02-07-2007, 05:57 PM
tell your dad to fuck off and get a bass

drowning_fish
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
For some reason there seems to be a huge population of bassists at SBC... I have no idea why either...

Klausfloride
02-07-2007, 06:08 PM
For some reason there seems to be a huge population of bassists at SBC... I have no idea why either...

Because there are alot of losers on sb-c.

jpharaoh69
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
starting on an acoustic gives you a better foundation for all stringed instruments. also, its less expensive, so if you dont like it, you havent wasted much money. its also harder to play which develops your finger strength way faster than starting on electric(bass or guitar). there are just so many positives to starting on an acoustic. the only negative would be that some people think you're just wasting time. i beg to differ, but its up to you.

Skater_goth
02-07-2007, 11:16 PM
play what ever you want. I have any acoustic and my dad thought I had to learn that before I got a bass because thats how it goes, but he was just stupid.

riskitforabiscuit
02-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Of course it depends on what you want, but I suggest you learn on an acoustic guitar and then go on to bass. If you can play chords on a guitar then you have a solid foundation for learning bass guitar. However, if you only learn bass then you won't have the knowledge you could have had from playing acoustic guitar. In short, if you can play acoustic guitar then you can basically play bass guitar, but if you play bass you can't exactly play acoustic guitar (sans one note riffage).

frobro
02-08-2007, 02:02 AM
i would get a cheap acoustic first so you can practice bass and if you dont like it you won't feel guilty because your didnt spend all his money on a real bass

Skaterdude
02-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Why did this get a warning?...

6-String guitars are much more fun to learn and play. I suggest sticking with that.

drowning_fish
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Why did this get a warning?...

6-String guitars are much more fun to learn and play. I suggest sticking with that.

That is 100% opinion... Not that I don't agree with you (In fact I do), I was just pointing out that it's opinion. I really need to buy a cheap acoustic soon. It seems fun

:edit: By the way, I think it got a warning for being in the wrong section originally

drowning_fish
02-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Because there are alot of losers on sb-c.

Hahaha, I guess so

Klausfloride
02-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Hahaha, I guess so

But I guess not to many people are aware that i've played bass for over 4 years, thus making that joke pointless.

drowning_fish
02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
But I guess not to many people are aware that i've played bass for over 4 years, thus making that joke pointless.

Yeah, I was wondering that... You play guitar too, yeah?

Klausfloride
02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I was wondering that... You play guitar too, yeah?

I played bass for like 2 1/2 years, but not seriously and I sucked. But the last year and a half i took lessons from a great teacher and I caught up. I progressed so fast and learned alot. And now i've been playin guitar for about a year and half.

Skaterdude
02-08-2007, 05:26 PM
That is 100% opinion... Not that I don't agree with you (In fact I do), I was just pointing out that it's opinion. I really need to buy a cheap acoustic soon. It seems fun

:edit: By the way, I think it got a warning for being in the wrong section originally

Yeah, that's my opinion. Forgot to point that out as to not sound like a dick. :D

I was talking about the warning that the thread-maker got. I see no reason to warn his post.