PDA

View Full Version : electronic music | your style, your choice

bleedingboy
01-12-2007, 06:55 AM
i'm posting this as a gathering for electronic musicians. as i call them, electricians. now i know this will be open to so many comments so before they attempt to, i'd give you a fair idea, of what is electronic music. while some of you might know, like that oldriverroad musician. loved the tunes, electronic music not only exposes you to creating music using your computer, hardwares, from korg to mc505, but rather talent as a musician as well. let me differentiate djs from us. DJs. they mix music, Electronic musicians, they make music. They'd say we're untalented bunch of people, who don't know how to hold the guitar, and they just pretend they do, buy cuttin up loops. well it's not all that, in fact some of them make their own loops. With several tools such as Ableton, Acid pro, and my favorite REASON, we can actually creat music from scratch, you may have loops ready, but it's better if we make our own. I know some of you might look down on us, but really electronic musicians, has their own right to stand juxtaposed your favorite guitarist, keyboardist, bassist. electronic music isn't limited either, in fact it's expanding, you can even here punk electronic music, your style. your choice.

so to all electronic musicians here, post your myspace account if you have, or acidplanet account if you have one, i'll see to it that you get some recognition from my circle of friends. and get to know you as well, maybe share some tips and collaborate.

bleedingboy | soundtrack
http://www.myspace.com/bleedingboysoundtrack

Klausfloride
01-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Do you how to get started in programming elctronic music, prefferably without buying programs. Because i write music, but its so hard for me to start a band because no one is realible or interested. And like IDM alot, and I write music so I think i could pick it up.

And i really like how you can do things not humanly possible, like ultra fast delay beats and shit. I really like terrorcore, i like my music disruptive adn violent.

reptiskate52
01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Listen to the old Say hi to your mom (discosadness). It's just Eric wiith all of these electronic sounds and him singing. Now it's a band.

(Valo Falcone)
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Samael closest thing that I like.

bleedingboy
01-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Do you how to get started in programming elctronic music, prefferably without buying programs. Because i write music, but its so hard for me to start a band because no one is realible or interested. And like IDM alot, and I write music so I think i could pick it up.

And i really like how you can do things not humanly possible, like ultra fast delay beats and shit. I really like terrorcore, i like my music disruptive adn violent.

first of all, let me know what you're going to do first?

a. are you going to insert loops? create your own loops? a starter would be.
FRUITY LOOPS. and especially good for drums. but after a while you'll need other softwares to create a good sound for mixing and recording. ABLETON does the trick. for vocals you'll need MELODYNE.

b. if you're going to do from scratch, has loops but more of that midi roll out editing. you'll need, REASON. but reason can't do mastering, it can do almost all that is music. except mastering a track. you'll need other softwares for mastering. SONY SOUNDFORGE, used to be sonic foundry, but sony bought it.

c. you'll need lots of VSTs or plug ins for the following.
ABLETON
SOUNDFORGE

d. but if you're really serious for music, use this one, it includes a hardware as a bundle.
PROTOOLS. almost all musicians, uses pro-tools.

e. if you're new, experiment with ACID PRO. i don't suggest this software, since it uses up too much of your CPU resources.

last thing, you'll need a surface controller, if you're starting out, use your keyboard or your mouse. there are downloadable freewares that you can make your mouse and keyboard act as a piano [keyboard] or a knob [mouse].

but if you've got money to burn. buy a midi controller. M-audio is my prefered weapon.

Roboman
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I used to make music with Reason 3 a fair bit. I absolutely hate four-to-the-floor drum beats, mostly I do breaks and some jungle. I dont really know what it would be called, I hardly know what genre sounds like what. The closest band I can think of to my style is the Crystal Method because they have a similar darkish sort of vibe.

Its a lot of fun though, especially some of the mad sounds you can come up with.

bleedingboy
01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I used to make music with Reason 3 a fair bit. I absolutely hate four-to-the-floor drum beats, mostly I do breaks and some jungle. I dont really know what it would be called, I hardly know what genre sounds like what. The closest band I can think of to my style is the Crystal Method because they have a similar darkish sort of vibe.

Its a lot of fun though, especially some of the mad sounds you can come up with.

crystal meth do uses reason 3.0. don't limit yourself to reason, there are millions of ways to create new music, it's all in your imagination.

Roboman
01-14-2007, 12:48 AM
crystal meth do uses reason 3.0. don't limit yourself to reason, there are millions of ways to create new music, it's all in your imagination.

Ha, its not my imagination thats limited, its my budget :)

bleedingboy
01-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Ha, its not my imagination thats limited, its my budget :)

hahaha. yeah, try sony acid first, it's for free. i think. www.acidplanet.com

Roboman
01-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Hey bleedingboy, I checked out your music cos I just noticed the link. 2 minutes of self suffocation is a pretty kick-ass song, mostly because there seems to be a lot of pretty basic electronica out their melodic-wise, and yours has tons of melody, which is really cool (especially after the drum machine kicks off)

And I wish "chasing you" didnt keep skipping because the drums in that are really well done. What programs did you make them in?

I feel like posting some of my own music now...

Vivica
01-15-2007, 04:02 AM
I've wanted to get into electronic music for ages, but my band has been too narrow minded to really give it a chance, and what i've done on my own has been horrible.

Edit: Klausfloride, i'd make music with you in a second, dub basslines, raving snare... a theremin (oh yea baby)... C64, And... samples from the house of commons!

I wrote myself a sampler with VB around a year ago, and built a pedal board for it using an old keyboard with most of the keys ripped off. Thats budget DIY mayte.

Worked really well, i used an XP home CD on an old bare bones system, it booted nothing that it didn't need, and then loaded my sampler, so i didn't need a mouse or keyboard, it just loaded and worked, was pretty cool. I wrote one for my mate as well, pretty much exactly the same thing, the pedal he built for it was amazing, i'll get a picture some time.

I've always loved heavy dub, dance hall, and beats, and my Dad started getting into techno about 6 years ago... And naturally i followed. I now have a rather extensive library of drum & bass, trance, and general electronica.
Even some 8 bit stuff, 8 bit tunes really do rule!

I've heard alot of good stuff about Pro-Tools, and alot of bad stuff as well.
All the musicians i know who're into all this post hardcore aggressive guitar based stuff, seem to think its the best thing in the world, but most other people don't seem to be crazy about it...

Anyway... i'll probably have a go with ACID Express and a few of the others, they look just up my street.
...Plus it'll save writing my own from now on :D
I'm sure if i like it there are torrents out there for the full versions.

And finally, 2 points to close with...

Do you know that whatever haggard kawaiispace.com layout you used for your MySpace has no contact table? :-!?

Do you know that you seem to be the best thing to join this forum for... a very long time?

Marevix
01-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm a semi-electronic musician. I write metal with computer assistance, and record the keyboard parts electronically.

Roboman
01-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Am I the only person here who writes all my songs out completely with a mouse? I dont have a keyboard, I cant play keyboard all that well, but more to the point I find it waaaay easier to just click all the notes into the program rather than play them in.

Now if I could afford a MIDI guitar thing, that would be cool. :smile1:

-=MuTT=-
01-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I love elcetronic music.

bleedingboy
01-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Am I the only person here who writes all my songs out completely with a mouse? I dont have a keyboard, I cant play keyboard all that well, but more to the point I find it waaaay easier to just click all the notes into the program rather than play them in.

Now if I could afford a MIDI guitar thing, that would be cool. :smile1:

i've used my mouse and keyboard [qwerty] as well. the good thing about mouse is you can drag it in perfect sync. i don't advice a midi guitar. i'd advice you to get a midi keyboard | controller. you can actually remake a guitar, and all you need is a keyboard. but first, let's not waste too much money on that. get to know your music first, we started out too lousy, and i actually was boasting to people i didn't know where real djs, electronic musicians in my country.. and they've got names and crowd, plus groupies. and all they did was tweak knobs and such.

i envy the fact that they've got that cool gadgets, like korg thingy, you just load up a sample and voila... wow. but then, i got tired of that looping and looping rave party thing. i'm practically old school in music, i prefer singing tom jones - delilah, while mike patton's growling like a sex crazed rabied monkey. i'm really old school. all i'm saying is, get your music first, experiment with acid express. loops are practically downloadable for free. you practice on how to cut them, put them together and create a loop. then later on, you arrange your own music. otherwise, if i show you several softwares, tools and hardwares, you'd just say... nah! it's too much too learn, you'd actually just say, i'm tired of this.

if you need help, let me know, i'll post some way you can reference into.

bleedingboy
01-16-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm a semi-electronic musician. I write metal with computer assistance, and record the keyboard parts electronically.

nice. that's cool. i know several people who does that. but not metal. what tools do you use? softwares and hardwares.

bleedingboy
01-16-2007, 06:19 AM
I've wanted to get into electronic music for ages, but my band has been too narrow minded to really give it a chance, and what i've done on my own has been horrible.

I wrote myself a sampler with VB around a year ago, and built a pedal board for it using an old keyboard with most of the keys ripped off. Thats budget DIY mayte.

Worked really well, i used an XP home CD on an old bare bones system, it booted nothing that it didn't need, and then loaded my sampler, so i didn't need a mouse or keyboard, it just loaded and worked, was pretty cool. I wrote one for my mate as well, pretty much exactly the same thing, the pedal he built for it was amazing, i'll get a picture some time.

I've always loved heavy dub, dance hall, and beats, and my Dad started getting into techno about 6 years ago... And naturally i followed. I now have a rather extensive library of drum & bass, trance, and general electronica.
Even some 8 bit stuff, 8 bit tunes really do rule!

I've heard alot of good stuff about Pro-Tools, and alot of bad stuff as well.
All the musicians i know who're into all this post hardcore aggressive guitar based stuff, seem to think its the best thing in the world, but most other people don't seem to be crazy about it...

Anyway... i'll probably have a go with ACID Express and a few of the others, they look just up my street.
...Plus it'll save writing my own from now on :D
I'm sure if i like it there are torrents out there for the full versions.

And finally, 2 points to close with...

Do you know that whatever haggard kawaiispace.com layout you used for your MySpace has no contact table? :-!?

Do you know that you seem to be the best thing to join this forum for... a very long time?

* just hover the mouse above it, and notice that ADD FRIEND down on your status, where you see the words like "transferring.... loading..." or notice the clicker, you can add me. use "dorkanddragon@gmail.com" if an email is asked and prompted.

hahaha. no dude, i think everyone here makes a good part. especially those kids whose willing to take on skateboard. i myself is more of a noob with skateboarding, i actually ollie too low. got too big drinking beer in college and didn't had any sports, i'm actually just starting again. seeing some of the pictures here, GOD! how I wish i kept playing.

these are list of softwares that i've used or know.

PRO-TOOLS
the good thing about this software is mastering, especially when you have it's hardware. almost all people prefer editing all tracks here. plus, they have the ability to record music on CD, with quality. that's right, burning in your basic HOME XP burning software, will have a poor quality. you'll need music tools to burn music. i myself just learned it recently and sampled it. it really has poor quality. i don't use pro-tools but i sure have respect on something that's already been widely used and recommended.

SONY ACID PRO
sony acid pro | express, is practically simple. now, we all know sony makes softwares or hardwares, easier to understand. this comes with a built in midi roll out, meaning you can drag your mouse and create lines to represent a note, plug-ins like VST or that sound you create, can be loaded, and act as the sound itself. it won't sound MIDI afterwards. it comes with it's own VELOCITY and other roll outs, REVERB, ECHO, so anything you've dream of creating, you can practice here. But sadly when you go further, i'm actually advicing you to uninstall this, reformat your pc.

pros
-easy to use and understand
-loading and presets are plenty [for creating echoes and such]
-almost all vsts are introduced and can be installed with them
-rewireable [ability to be hooked up with other music software, i.e. reason]

cons
-uses so much of your computer's resources
-interface is too basic, without you understanding graph like features? you're
literally lost.
-needs too much VSTs to create a sound.
-only good for mixing loops and not for creating sound.

SONY FOUNDRY
you'll need this, if you can't afford pro-tools, this is the substitute. this has the ability to edit the sound, master it, and burn it. it can be loaded with plug-ins as well, and is practically recognizeable with surface controllers, which is same with sony acid pro. music needs mastering, otherwise, you'd hear that unfulfilling sound. you'll have to learn mastering too, after you've been creating music and comparing it to music on the tv and radio. note, try this. turn on your tv, and radio at the same time and level [or tv a bit louder], watch the tv, and you'd noticed radio commercial are actually clearer and can be heard even with the tvs on. it has something to do with COMPRESSION, which is part of mastering. this is easy, once you get to know this, you can create presets on FOUNDRY, and load it up everytime you're going to render music. I RECOMMEND THIS. same as SONY, it's rewireable or hooked to other softwares. it's the ultimate music tool. rips cd too. upper versions can now encode AC3 for dvds, you just need a codec for it.

FRUITY LOOPS
good for making loops, practice on this one, especially with drum parts, it's not much of a looker, but the loops are easily understandable to load, and you can sequence it per hit. in sony acid pro, you have to cut it first, then arrange it in a long agonizing pattern-making. so i suggest, make the drum parts here, and load it there when you rendered it into wav.

ABLETON LIVE
the word itself, LIVE. suggest one thing, LIVE. for live performance. this is the next thing to use if you're abit learned with SONY ACID PRO. same concept only this one, is actually the mother of all music making. REWIREABLE to reason, for recording sounds, this is a very cool things. VSTs, you can load up a plug-in AMPLITUBE, and you don't need your GADGETs to emulate grunge or anything. it's all in your imagination, and all you needed was to adjust some knobs. comes with a MIDI roll-out, for your midi purposes. it's built in EFFECTS, are the best, you can actually navigate it so well with your mouse, keyboard and SURFACE CONTROLLER. your dream come true. can load up MP3 loops as well, WAV still recognized. RENDERS music as well, but you'll still need to edit a few things on SONY FOUNDRY, but still if you don't need to, it's ok. it's the motherload for performance. the only downside? takes alot of memory after you've load too much things, you'll need DUAL CORE for a gig that starts from 12noon to the next day. you'll need it after loading so many samples. but hey, ABLETON is the thing. use it for music making, recording, rendering and live. it's everything you've dreamed off. plugins? you'll have to buy it though.

REASON v3.0
I'm PRO - REASON. i love it. it has a very interesting interface, it really looks like a rack, and you can stack your mixer, and everything. the best part of this is, you can actually rewire all the cables at the back, and all you have to do is press TAB. oh and it's not for show, you see re-arranging the cables actually creates or affects things, like sound. you can practically create tons of echoes, to create a series of echo, and sequence the end part. it has several REFILL [built in plug-in] for sound and mastering suite as well. it has it's own music samples to load, but wav are still recognize. REASON created the REWIRE ability, they can be hooked to other softwares, like ableton, acid pro, pro-tools, cubase, sonar and etc. with its built in refills, you can create millions of sounds, all it needs is your imagination. without it, it's hopeless. it comes with a midi roll-out. so you can arrange notes, quantize it [ability to straighten up reason's note to the nearest alignment], all of it are virtually mappable. and when you load your SURFACE CONTROLLER, it can be automatically recognized and you don't need to map it anymore, but if you want to be specific with mapping knobs and such, it's much easier. you'll need RECYCLE for creating drum loop, which is loaded as *.REX file. it's all here. your dream software. tell your dad to buy you this one, for this software has one good ability to manage your RESOURCES. i have actually 3 mixers, fully loaded with soundbanks, all had been tweaked, mapped, automated [you can actually record automation of knobs, it will move as it plays your track, same as any other softwares, but this one you can see the mixer's knobs move, COOL!" and it will run smooth to a CPU with 80 gig hdd, 1.6Ghz Processor, 512 MB RAM. it's your dream music tool. but sad to say, with all this good things, somethings are sacrificed.

cons
- mastering ability sucks
- no external recording ability
- perfect for midi arrangement and creating sounds
- loops needs to be converted, too much work.
- cd burning is not yet compatible.

but with this, you're GOD! well, not exactly, but you're god if you love making music. it is your friend. it's not better than sex, but it's definitely an alternative for music making. i recommend this.

there are other things you'll need, but as for now. learn your style, your music, your desires. if you want this, there are ways to own this softwares, and make use of it. electronic music is not to be feared or to be ridiculed. in fact, like any other music, you should see its comprehensive requirement. it includes mastering as well, like any recording studio. without it, it will just clip and go off the necessary decibel cut. you'll learn this along the way, i myself, am still learning it. and it's not yet enough. performing live is different as well, and you thought you'd just load up the loops and that's all. you can practically re-invent your style. sometimes we load up and create music on stage, from scratch, that's the best part of this genre, your imagination can be catered, and you control it all. it's up to you now, how you manage it.

my advice to people who wants to learn electronic music making, take time... you'll get the hang of it. pretty soon, you can incorporate standard music making and performing wit electronic music. and if you're interested, i'll help you with what i know and will know, but your music... you'll have to help yourself on that.

Roboman
01-16-2007, 06:26 AM
i've used my mouse and keyboard [qwerty] as well. the good thing about mouse is you can drag it in perfect sync. i don't advice a midi guitar. i'd advice you to get a midi keyboard | controller. you can actually remake a guitar, and all you need is a keyboard. but first, let's not waste too much money on that. get to know your music first, we started out too lousy, and i actually was boasting to people i didn't know where real djs, electronic musicians in my country.. and they've got names and crowd, plus groupies. and all they did was tweak knobs and such.

i envy the fact that they've got that cool gadgets, like korg thingy, you just load up a sample and voila... wow. but then, i got tired of that looping and looping rave party thing. i'm practically old school in music, i prefer singing tom jones - delilah, while mike patton's growling like a sex crazed rabied monkey. i'm really old school. all i'm saying is, get your music first, experiment with acid express. loops are practically downloadable for free. you practice on how to cut them, put them together and create a loop. then later on, you arrange your own music. otherwise, if i show you several softwares, tools and hardwares, you'd just say... nah! it's too much too learn, you'd actually just say, i'm tired of this.

if you need help, let me know, i'll post some way you can reference into.

I wasn't really sure if MIDI guitars even existed. :) Its wierd that they do, it would be a very un-intuitive way of doing things.

bleedingboy
01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
I wasn't really sure if MIDI guitars even existed. :) Its wierd that they do, it would be a very un-intuitive way of doing things.

oh yeah... hahahahah. i didn't notice that. i was thinking of it as USB guitar, but i don't know if USB guitar does the thing.

Marevix
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
nice. that's cool. i know several people who does that. but not metal. what tools do you use? softwares and hardwares.

For direct MIDI recordings, I use Acid Pro 6. Audacity is my recording backup, usually used when I need to record with a microphone. I prefer writing the music itself with Guitar Pro 5, the mix of sheet music and guitar tabs allows for the guitarist I work with to learn parts more easily. For general practice and performances, I use a Yamaha PSR-E403 keyboard which I also use for recordings with pitch bending. I also have a 37 key Creative PC-MIDI keyboard for the aforementioned MIDI recordings. I occasionally use soundfonts or VST instruments for synths, but for the most part I use the presets that were provided with my soundcard. I have Reason 3.0, but I haven't bothered to learn how to use it properly yet. When

I wasn't really sure if MIDI guitars even existed. Its wierd that they do, it would be a very un-intuitive way of doing things.

They do, but playing them cleanly is a straight bitch. Even the slightest tap of a string registers as a full velocity note with most MIDI setups.

bleedingboy
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
For direct MIDI recordings, I use Acid Pro 6. Audacity is my recording backup, usually used when I need to record with a microphone. I prefer writing the music itself with Guitar Pro 5, the mix of sheet music and guitar tabs allows for the guitarist I work with to learn parts more easily. For general practice and performances, I use a Yamaha PSR-E403 keyboard which I also use for recordings with pitch bending. I also have a 37 key Creative PC-MIDI keyboard for the aforementioned MIDI recordings. I occasionally use soundfonts or VST instruments for synths, but for the most part I use the presets that were provided with my soundcard. I have Reason 3.0, but I haven't bothered to learn how to use it properly yet. When

They do, but playing them cleanly is a straight bitch. Even the slightest tap of a string registers as a full velocity note with most MIDI setups.

what soundcard, or pre-amp do you use?

Roboman
01-17-2007, 12:40 AM
For direct MIDI recordings, I use Acid Pro 6. Audacity is my recording backup, usually used when I need to record with a microphone. I prefer writing the music itself with Guitar Pro 5, the mix of sheet music and guitar tabs allows for the guitarist I work with to learn parts more easily. For general practice and performances, I use a Yamaha PSR-E403 keyboard which I also use for recordings with pitch bending. I also have a 37 key Creative PC-MIDI keyboard for the aforementioned MIDI recordings. I occasionally use soundfonts or VST instruments for synths, but for the most part I use the presets that were provided with my soundcard. I have Reason 3.0, but I haven't bothered to learn how to use it properly yet. When...

:-!?

When what?

Skater_goth
01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
Nice thread dude, it gives me info(alot of info about electronic music).
After reading your review on REASON v3.0, It sounds good, I woud just like to know if it is worth it to get it, because it might be to hard to use and not have good features. Well i'm going to google it right now and I will post her tomorrow if I get it or don't like it.
Thanks for your help dude.

Marevix
01-17-2007, 03:47 PM
what soundcard, or pre-amp do you use?

My soundcard is a Creative SB Audigy.

When what?

I haven't the slightest idea. I don't remember what I was going to post (If I was going to at all) at that point.

bleedingboy
01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
My soundcard is a Creative SB Audigy.

I haven't the slightest idea. I don't remember what I was going to post (If I was going to at all) at that point.

that's ok i guess. but i'd recommend a much more better soundcard, try to get M-audio, Behringer or if you've got money, ECHO indigo... but if not, that could do. do the most out of that. that's what we all do. i myself has a built in soundcard.

Caveman the skater
01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Ya, I really want Reason 3.0! And with reason can you make trance music like Pvd ( Paul Van Dyke), and Tiesto dose? Or is it more of a techno like The Crystal method?

bleedingboy
01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Ya, I really want Reason 3.0! And with reason can you make trance music like Pvd ( Paul Van Dyke), and Tiesto dose? Or is it more of a techno like The Crystal method?

here's a very good explanation of reason. REASON 3.0 is a music maker, it's like your own piano sheet, that can be edited to favor your own style, may it be tinsel town music, punk, rasta, hardcore metal, disco, trance, tribal, world music. it's all there. the question is how do you emulate the sound?

an example. i'm into piano pieces, combined with trance | chill out | ambient style and world flavor and a dash of orchestraic feel. but it needs distortion of some sort. now come to think of it, the other parts, like chill out world and distortion is ok. the piano part as well, but how do you emulate a string? especially with its bend? REASON 3.0 provides pitch and modulation control. you need your imagination and a little of an experimentation to get that part. the best thing about reason is you can record and automation, with your mouse alone, no need for knobs and faders as surface controller, just the mouse. and re-create it.

my point here is, if you have a music in your head, and you thought you're limited with that midi feeling that you see in reason, you just have to imagine how to create it. you want ska, you can't seem to find the right hit of the drum loop on rex, then experiment. maybe you need to adjust the BPM. try to listen to the music you're trying to emulate, a sample perhaps. say you want to create ska. listen to a ska song, of the same beat. then time it. then emulate it. same goes to any style. and practically trances are the easiest, 4/4 beats, same as house or any other style.

Skater_goth
01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
hey bleeding,
yeah I think I understand what you are trying to say.

now with reason 3.0 I was searching and getting alot of information about it as I could, and it is hard to get with out buying, I am going to get the free trial and hopefully going get the full version from there.
People I got a good site telling about reason v3.0

http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=SW00201

bleedingboy
01-17-2007, 08:37 PM
reason 3.0

get the manual as well. you'll need to understand which is which. but if you see that it's too thick to read? experimentation, always answers questions.

Caveman the skater
01-17-2007, 09:52 PM
here's a very good explanation of reason. REASON 3.0 is a music maker, it's like your own piano sheet, that can be edited to favor your own style, may it be tinsel town music, punk, rasta, hardcore metal, disco, trance, tribal, world music. it's all there. the question is how do you emulate the sound?

an example. i'm into piano pieces, combined with trance | chill out | ambient style and world flavor and a dash of orchestraic feel. but it needs distortion of some sort. now come to think of it, the other parts, like chill out world and distortion is ok. the piano part as well, but how do you emulate a string? especially with its bend? REASON 3.0 provides pitch and modulation control. you need your imagination and a little of an experimentation to get that part. the best thing about reason is you can record and automation, with your mouse alone, no need for knobs and faders as surface controller, just the mouse. and re-create it.

my point here is, if you have a music in your head, and you thought you're limited with that midi feeling that you see in reason, you just have to imagine how to create it. you want ska, you can't seem to find the right hit of the drum loop on rex, then experiment. maybe you need to adjust the BPM. try to listen to the music you're trying to emulate, a sample perhaps. say you want to create ska. listen to a ska song, of the same beat. then time it. then emulate it. same goes to any style. and practically trances are the easiest, 4/4 beats, same as house or any other style. Thats what I excatly want to do. And for a 4 octive keyboard with a usb plug in is like $400?
Thanks for the help

bleedingboy
01-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Thats what I excatly want to do. And for a 4 octive keyboard with a usb plug in is like $400?
Thanks for the help

ok, i was supposed to post this as new thread, but here goes, a tutorial on recording vocals. the hard way. or the cheap ass bastard's way. well assuming you couldn't afford a studio or too shy to get on a studio, or in some case just too much time within a studio, and you'd have to practice and perfect your recording first before you go to a studio. nothing beats a decent studio. so to all those who runs the show, with the mic, MCs or such. here's a semi-detailed vocal recording. using your household equipment.

you'll need the following.

1. a decent mic
2. an isolation room [bedroom would be ok]
3. clock [preferably without a sound]
4. blanket, or a closet with drapes or clothes.
5. stocking hanged on a hanger or create a soft filter with wires
and shit.
6. a decent non-pedophile friend to monitor recording or if not, just
yourself would do.
7. a computer or laptop, or a decent recording device, of course one
you can rely on.
8. an mp3 player for monitoring the sound, preferably with headset to
isolate it from your recording device, meaning you're the only one
who really hears it, and not the recording device.

i won't go detail on how you sing your song, but i'll tell you the best way to record a vocal is to keep it in-tact, segmenting a vocal would do good. say for example you have a verse, cut it into 3 parts or the whole verse part, but never the song. it is always adviseable to segment it for a much more detailed cut. but keep in mind you'll have to record everything with the same setting.

note:
always record in a clean cut voice, and don't mumble it, unless you intend it to. recording is easy to be exact, but recording it clean and well, is difficult, so you might need several takes, that's why i suggest you record it on a computer, so you may check old outtakes and select the best, or even inspire a newer take. recording vocals somehow, improves the long way, sometimes you'll encounter a better tune as you listen to older tunes, so get with it. record and record, and always keep in mind to record it under *.wav form.

blanket, it's purpose serves an isolation material that shrouds you from your backdraft. if you have an airconditioner, turn it off. any magnetic or electrical equipment that could cause an interferance check it, or turn it off. celphones are such a bummer, so get rid of it, or turn it off. keep away from the speaker. but most of all, record your voice under a blanket or inside the closet, or cabinet. don't lock yourself inside though, that's pure stupidity.

stockings, hanged or cut to create a filter, serves a good purpose, it isolates certain hissing parts from your vocals, meaning you'll have a cleaner vocal edit later on, you'll have to use less sound or vocal cleaner to create things. i suggest, melodyne, or soundsoap for editing the vocal part.

clock, you'll need a clock to monitor your takes, sometimes, sound are not too accurate with your timing, so you'll have to count every time signature and synchronize it with your clock or watch. also, it tells you time to record. record around 12:00pm, when every other sound outside seems to be interfering has siezed for the duration of the day.

it is adviseable to have a friend monitor the vocal flow on your song. remember one set of ears somehow tends to fake itself from other's opinion, since you tend to become biased with the record. rather admitting to yourself that it sucks, you'd say.. i did great. so have someone monitor it with you. plus he ca do the cleaning afterwards, like fixing or folding the blanket, or scratching your ass. any which way you're fullfilled.

the best way to time your vocals is to have the whole cut of the song, in one ear, and one to monitor your picth and tone together with your vocals, your friend comes handy with this, for he can determine if you've gone off-tuned to the song, which will probably introduce another part, where you'll come to the selection of tune to the take itself. but for that, you'll have to figure that out yourselves.

remember, recording vocals can be a pain if you let it be, but for me constant practice, and dedication, and you'll get the hang of it. it's hard naturally.

next thread would include detailed ways to clean a vocal with the software, including preparing it for insertion and further edit if necessary.

if you have a question or missed something out. do ask question it's alright.

Skater_goth
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Woah nice guide, very confusing though. It really explains every little detail.
Too bad I don't sign or I would be doing this right now.
Good Job

Marevix
01-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Good guide, bleedingboy. I'm in the early stages writing and recording a demo, I'll keep your advice in mind.

bleedingboy
01-19-2007, 12:03 AM
courtesy of acidplanet. [www.acidplanet.com]

A
A Cappella
Sung without instrumental accompaniment.

Acid House
House music featuring squelching loops from Roland TB-303 synthesizers.

Acid Jazz
Contrary to its name, this style has little in common with Acid House. Acid Jazz consists of various blends of Jazz, Funk, House and Hip-Hop.

Acoustic
Created without the use of electricity.

Ambient
Usually quieter than other styles, ambient music describes three dimensional atmospheres with sound, often without a beat.

Atmospheric
Genres that create an extraordinary emotional tone or quality.

Ballad
A narrative, sentimental poem set to music.

Big Beat
This genre features very thick, prominent beats (often breakbeats) with fun, energetic samples and a party atmosphere.

Blues
Growing out of spirituals and worksongs, Blues usually features simple chords and improvisation on vocals and instrumentation.

Breakbeat / Breaks
Any music that uses drum break samples from rock, soul or funk.

Classical
Relating to European music during the latter half of the 18th and the early 19th centuries.

Club / Dance
Any style of music with a danceable beat.

Contemporary
Music created similar to current styles.

Country
A very simple and traditional style, Country stems European folk music and other sources, and has since taken on other influences such as blues, rock, etc.

DanceHall (Ragamuffin)
A style of Reggae featuring faster synthetic drums and rapid sing/speak vocals.

Dirty
Genres with distorted samples or beats.

Deep (Deep Underground)
Often containing many elements of Dub, Deep music is the furthest from the mainstream, with relaxed, smooth and romantic characteristics.

Dub
This style accents percussion and bass, with sparse vocals, echo effects, and reverb on other instruments.

Electro
70s style funk performed with synthesizers.

Electronica
A term representing any style of music made with electronic equipment.

EuroDance / Hi-NRG
A variation of Disco that's simple, lightweight and catchy, with a faster tempo and fluffy, repetitive lyrics.

Experimental
A general term surrounding electronic music without predefined genres.

Filtered
An effect created by temporarily removing high or low frequencies.

Folk
A down-to-earth style focusing on universal truths, often with traditional acoustic instrumentation and a simple melody.

Funk
An effect created by building and releasing tension with the placement of notes and rhythms.

Fusion
At the time of its origin, Fusion was a blend of Jazz with the aggressive qualities of Rock. Today it can represent a blending of any two or more styles.

Gabber
This style is an extremely fast variety of 4/4 Dance music with tempos of over 200 BPM.

Goth
Music placing emphasis on dark, grotesque, gloomy atmospheres.

Happy Hardcore
An extremely fast variety of 4/4 dance music with 'happy' melodies and tempos of over 200 BPM.

Hard
Genres with faster, louder, pounding beats.

Hardcore
Genres displaying intense melodramatic loyalty to specific characteristics of a style.

Hip-Hop
Four elements make up Hip-Hop: The MC (Master of Ceremony), DJ, Breaks and Graffiti. Rhymes performed by the MC center around subjects relevant to daily life.

House
Named after its birthplace, the Warehouse, a club in Chicago, House is in many ways an electronic extension of Disco. House features a steady 4/4 beat, with accented percussion and basslines.

IDM (Intelligent Dance Music)
Sometimes called Brain-Dance, this style features extremely fast, complex rhythms in not only the percussion, but in every instrument used in the track.

Illbient
This style often combines elements of Dub, Hip-Hop and Drum 'n' Bass, with dark & eerie atmospheres.

Industrial
One of the earliest styles of dance music, most Industrial has Heavy Metal / Rock influences with a 4/4 beat. It often is dark and dehumanized, with samples from mechanical tools such as drills and saws.

Instrumental
Music without vocals.

Intelligent
Genres created for listening, often much more complex than dance floor counterparts.

Jungle / Drum 'n' Bass
Both styles display very fast tempos around 160-200 BPM, with double-speed breakbeats along strong basslines. According to leading DJs, Jungle conveys a party atmosphere with Reggae inspired bass, while Drum 'n' Bass is considered to be more intelligent listening music.

Latin
More of an umbrella style than a genre, Latin influenced music often has acoustic instruments and horns with many layers of percussion.

Lounge
This style refers to easy listening music made in the 50s and 60s from a blend of Swing and Big Band, but the modern representation of Lounge can be synonymous with Downtempo.

Metal
Heavy, distorted guitars with simple melodies and loud, brutal percussion.

Minimal
Music created with the lowest degree of instrumentation possible.

New Age
Music aimed at producing a sense of inner calm.

Noise
Often abrasive, this style contains distorted samples and white noise.

Old-Skool
A term for the 'original' sound of a genre before sub-genres appeared.

Progressive
Styles that have characteristics from being created by the latest of technology and technique in audio production.

Pop
Has a catchy melody and relatively simple rhythm.

Psychedelic / Trippy
Genres relating to hallucinations, distortions of perception, or altered states of awareness.

R&B (Rhythm & Blues)
As an extension of Blues, R&B steadies the beat and adds a concrete melody.

Rap (Toasting)
Speaking in time over a beat.

Retro
Music directly imitating styles of the past.

Rock (Rock & Roll)
Pure Rock has a strong beat and a catchy melody backed by three or four chords.

Roots
A term often applied to music closely related to the birth of a genre.

Smooth
Genres with a relatively constant tempo and volume.

Soft
Lush, inoffensive and smooth, often very commercial.

Soul
Music with an emphasis on performers expressing a high degree of emotion.

Symphonic
Genres containing sweeping symphonic textures.

Tech
Often very aggressive, associated genres sound very mechanical, like metal scraping on metal. Tech is often used to describe techno-influenced music that has too many organic qualities to be pure techno.

Techno
This term has come to have two popular interpretations, the first being a description of all electronic music. The second interpretation is a style that developed from House music, which completely abandoned the influences of Disco; Techno is more mechanical and less organic.

Trance
This style usually features a 4/4 beat with intense arpeggiated synthesizers along energetic build-ups & breakdowns.

Tribal
Genres utilizing tribal drum patterns.

Trip Hop
This genre is a variety of breakbeat usually featuring psychedelic atmospheres and female vocalists singing in a rock-influenced style.

US Garage
Named after NYC club the Paradise Garage, this style is very similar to Disco, mainly differing with deeper bass and more pronounced percussion.

UK Garage / 2 Step / Speed Garage
Pronounced 'gare-ridge' in the UK, it is similar to US Garage, adding influences from Jungle and R&B.

Underground / Alternative
Genres existing outside of pop culture.

Urban
A term given to R&B and Soul produced in the 80s and 90s.

World
Refers to music with heavy influences outside the traditions of the US and the UK.

Someone had a question regarding genre's definition, here it is.

Skater_goth
01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks for that copy and paste dude, nice find. I wanted to know what alot of those genre's really meant. NICE!