PDA

View Full Version : Learning bass??

ToxicSkater
12-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Ok, so I want to start playing bass.
What kind should I get?
I don't want to spend a lot on one just incase I decide later on that I don't really want to play.
Is Rogue or Ibanez any good for beginners?
I've seen some on eBay for like 160$ for the bass, amp and accesories.
Would that be good?

I'm really new to all this stuff so I need some help.

Vivica
12-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Ibanez do good starter kits... most starter kits are pretty ***** but theirs aren't bad, i know a few people who still use their starter bass but just with a new amp.

ToxicSkater
12-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Ok, thanks.
I'll keep that in mind.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
12-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I'd say a squier starter kit. I used mine for around 2 years.

dain84
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Just go to a guitar shop and try out all the basses in your price range. You'll know when you've found the right one.

RwithTF
12-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I say a Ibanez starter kit for now. But then soon get some Fender shit going on and I just got a new Gallien-Krueger SBX 4x10 amp with the Backline 600 head.
It's fucking sex.

Skater_goth
12-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I got a cheapy bass off ebay for my first one, but I regret it, because the strings are raised really high and when I don't press the frets really hard it buzzs with the metal(I think I can fix it). I think that bass is cool.

ToxicSkater
12-10-2006, 07:02 AM
What about Rogues?
I played my friends the other day and it had a pretty solid sound and feel.
I found their starter kits for around 170$.

dutch madman
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
i bought a dean playmate yesterday, it's a really decent starters bass, not to pricey too, i;d suggest you'd go check them out, i believe they are about 149 $, with amp

leavemealone
12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Go to a pawn shop and buy a bass. Thats what I did for my first bass. It was great too. I got it for 125$. And then I bought a little 15 watt amp for 80$.

Thats what I do. Pawn shops have great deals, go with a friend or someone that knows guitars. They can help

drowning_fish
12-12-2006, 06:37 AM
How come no one plays guitar anymore...?

lpescato
12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
bass is a great way to get into string instruments. i started that way w/a yamaha about 17 years ago, and a big traynor tube amp. i would suggest learning 12 bar blues and scales to work your way around the fretboard. pinkie is hard to play with at first but you will strengthen it up with scales. also a lesson or two may not hurt. learn tablature, thats all i know, but reading real music would help you alot more. check out guys like cliff burton and stu hamm, or jaco pastorius' stuff to see what can be done with bass. i also recommend finger picking, it may seem hard but its really the way bass was meant to be played. as suggested earlier, a pawn shop is the way to go, but if you wanta good solid 4 string, 400 bucks for a us-made Precision Fender might be the way to go, that way when you get better you'll be playing a great bass. i gave up bass for guitar and drums but now i can play all 3, albeit not too well. good luck!

lpescato
12-12-2006, 07:17 AM
oh yeah and dont ever play bass through a guitar amp.

ToxicSkater
12-12-2006, 08:11 AM
bass is a great way to get into string instruments. i started that way w/a yamaha about 17 years ago, and a big traynor tube amp. i would suggest learning 12 bar blues and scales to work your way around the fretboard. pinkie is hard to play with at first but you will strengthen it up with scales. also a lesson or two may not hurt. learn tablature, thats all i know, but reading real music would help you alot more. check out guys like cliff burton and stu hamm, or jaco pastorius' stuff to see what can be done with bass. i also recommend finger picking, it may seem hard but its really the way bass was meant to be played. as suggested earlier, a pawn shop is the way to go, but if you wanta good solid 4 string, 400 bucks for a us-made Precision Fender might be the way to go, that way when you get better you'll be playing a great bass. i gave up bass for guitar and drums but now i can play all 3, albeit not too well. good luck!
Thanks man.
My friend taught me how to read tabs already too.