PDA

View Full Version : Kids don't appreciate where their music comes from.

fat_poser
11-11-2006, 04:30 AM
I was talking to some of the 14 and 15 year old kids at my work today about their music and I damn near had to refrain from slapping them.

The first is this chick whos all into punk and ska. She's got OK taste in music, but wears all sorts of shit from old bands like the clash, etc. One of the cooks was telling a story about how he met G.G. Allin, she didn't know who he was. Thought Sublime was a clothing company. This didn't bother me all that much because early punk was mostly shit anyways.

Then the uppity hobbit-ass dish kid (he's 2 inches above my belly button) comes in all cocky telling us how our music is shit and rap is what its all about. I start talking to him about what rappers he likes. He listens to the "hardcore shit" (his words) like 50 Cent, Ludacris, Busta Ryhmes and the Game. Minus 50, that isn't so bad. I tell him I'm more into oldschool shit. Of course he knows NWA (although could only come up with 'Fuck the Police' after a long brainstorm on his favourite song). When I mention Ice-T he says "The guy from law and order? That guy raps?" Even if you don't like Ice-T, he's pretty important to the gansta rap scene and free artistry in general. For any youngins who don't know; Al Gore's wife tried to have Ice-T's bands record banned. The song "Cop Killa" is still banned from sale in Canada. Explicit lyrics stickers exist pretty much solely because Ice-T is so badass.

He laughs also at Ice Cube (although when I told him Ice Cube was a part of NWA he seemed confused). Ice Cube may have gone a little soft in recent years, but his latest album was dope, and his early shit like Bow Down, Once Upon A Time In The Projects, It Was A Good Day is solid.

Had no clue who Public Enemy was.

More than that though; Cube, PE and Ice-T are reminiscent of a time when rap was about more than money and bling. Their rhymes were a vehicle for social change, they spoke up about what was happening in the ghettos. Rappers nowadays make it sound like the ghetto is the fucking place to be. In the words of Cube "all you can rap about is pussy and money".

I damn near cock slapped the kid when he asked me who Cypress Hill was. Thats not even old, and Cypress Hill is fuckin crucial to rap in the 90s.

So I've compiled a list of shit you young folk need to know about music:

1. Body Count can beat the fuck out of any rap posse around today. So could NWA. If they fought each other, half of Los Angeles would probably disintigrate from the resulting tremors.
2. Johnny Cash is the punkest motherfucker who ever lived, and he could have beaten the shit out of anyone, alive or dead.
3. Metallica sucks without Mustaine, plus they're a bunch of soiled douche bags.
4. Mustaine sucks since 1994.
5. Very little rap produced in this millenium is worth listening to.
6. Hair metal sucked.
7. Disco sucked.
8. Your mom sucked off every band at Woodstock.
9. Seriously.
10. Rush.

Roboman
11-11-2006, 05:00 AM
...I damn near cock slapped the kid when he asked me who Cypress Hill was...

Hahaha!

I've been gradually noticing that too. Me and one of my mates were talking to some 13-14 year old kids about their favourite music ages ago at the park, they're like "Led Zeppelin" and "The Ramones" and "The Misfits". I casually asked whats your favourite Led Zep song. The answer: "Stairway to Heaven". When asked about other good songs from them, he said, "Oh, some of them...". I swear he didn't even know who Jimmy Page was. It almost seems like some kids "like" these classic rock bands because its "cool".

Same with another time talking about Pink Floyd.
Favourite album: "Dark Side of the Moon!"
Favourite song: "Uh, Dark Side of the Moon?"
WRONG ANSWER!

Like I spose its not their responsibility to know all this stuff that happened 20 years before they were born, but trying to be cool by pretending to like older bands they know nothing about? I'd rather some of them just admit they listen to Greenday and be truthful about it.

timzha
11-11-2006, 05:03 AM
Johnny Cash may have been punk, but i doubt he could "beat the shit out of anyone".

campkill_yourself
11-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Johnny Cash may have been punk, but i doubt he could "beat the shit out of anyone".
Figurative speech

timzha
11-11-2006, 05:41 AM
its still a stupid list

subculture2
11-11-2006, 06:00 AM
I was talking to some of the 14 and 15 year old kids at my work today about their music and I damn near had to refrain from slapping them.

The first is this chick whos all into punk and ska. She's got OK taste in music, but wears all sorts of shit from old bands like the clash, etc. One of the cooks was telling a story about how he met G.G. Allin, she didn't know who he was. Thought Sublime was a clothing company. This didn't bother me all that much because early punk was mostly shit anyways.

Then the uppity hobbit-ass dish kid (he's 2 inches above my belly button) comes in all cocky telling us how our music is shit and rap is what its all about. I start talking to him about what rappers he likes. He listens to the "hardcore shit" (his words) like 50 Cent, Ludacris, Busta Ryhmes and the Game. Minus 50, that isn't so bad. I tell him I'm more into oldschool shit. Of course he knows NWA (although could only come up with 'Fuck the Police' after a long brainstorm on his favourite song). When I mention Ice-T he says "The guy from law and order? That guy raps?" Even if you don't like Ice-T, he's pretty important to the gansta rap scene and free artistry in general. For any youngins who don't know; Al Gore's wife tried to have Ice-T's bands record banned. The song "Cop Killa" is still banned from sale in Canada. Explicit lyrics stickers exist pretty much solely because Ice-T is so badass.

He laughs also at Ice Cube (although when I told him Ice Cube was a part of NWA he seemed confused). Ice Cube may have gone a little soft in recent years, but his latest album was dope, and his early shit like Bow Down, Once Upon A Time In The Projects, It Was A Good Day is solid.

More than that though; Cube, PE and Ice-T are reminiscent of a time when rap was about more than money and bling. Their rhymes were a vehicle for social change, they spoke up about what was happening in the ghettos. Rappers nowadays make it sound like the ghetto is the fucking place to be. In the words of Cube "all you can rap about is pussy and money".

I damn near cock slapped the kid when he asked me who Cypress Hill was. Thats not even old, and Cypress Hill is fuckin crucial to rap in the 90s.

1. Body Count can beat the fuck out of any rap posse around today. So could NWA. If they fought each other, half of Los Angeles would probably disintigrate from the resulting tremors.
2. Johnny Cash is the punkest motherfucker who ever lived, and he could have beaten the shit out of anyone, alive or dead.
3. Metallica sucks without Mustaine, plus they're a bunch of soiled douche bags.
6. Hair metal sucked.
7. Disco sucked.
9. Seriously.
10. Rush.

yes,fuckign hell yes!

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Alot of friends I try to have a conversation with about metal all keep hating on Black Sabbath.

They all listen to Hatebreed, Black Dahlia Murder, and shit like that.

drowning_fish
11-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Haha, what are their reasons for hating Sabbath?

copsandprepssuck
11-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Rush owns. So does Johnny Cash. My grandpa hates music and even he likes Johnny Cash. Copkilla is such a great song too.

cashbox44
11-11-2006, 08:56 AM
yea

SMR
11-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I'd rather someone not know who Sublime was than be around one of their fanboys (or girls).

I like the Woodstock comment the best. I hate every single kid who says anything about their parents being there.

Popwar Pill
11-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Meh, my father was more of a Boston fan.

jez
11-11-2006, 09:38 AM
My school is full of these people. If I mention an old band or whatever no one'll know what I'm talking about. I usually don't even bother..

Bleed the Freak
11-11-2006, 09:41 AM

6. Hair metal sucked.
7. Disco sucked.
9. Seriously.
10. Rush.
bolded #1) lmfao
bolded #2) Hellz yea. Johnny Cash is the shit.

Popwar Pill
11-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Once some kid was wearing a Nirvana shirt and I was like "So, do you like grunge?" he's like "yeah" and I say "Do you like Alice in Chains?" he asked who they were....I almost drove a rail road spike through his skull.

drowning_fish
11-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Hahahaha

woop tang
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
That hurts my heart.:'(

The kids at my school are the same way, their all into "walk it out" "do ya chain hang low" and all that shit.

jonnyflip122
11-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Once some kid was wearing a Nirvana shirt and I was like "So, do you like grunge?" he's like "yeah" and I say "Do you like Alice in Chains?" he asked who they were....I almost drove a rail road spike through his skull.
What a fag. Alice in Chains is definately the best grunge band ever. Whats your favorite song?

drizzle
11-11-2006, 09:59 AM
'tis a shame, most certainly. when i'm into a band, i research the fuck out of them (because i'm a nerd). i don't wanna be called ignorant.

dain84
11-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I swear I'm the only person at my school that knwos anything about music.

drowning_fish
11-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, most of my wikipedia searches are band/music related... I do the same thing as Drizzle

Skating Forever Even in Heaven
11-11-2006, 11:43 AM

haha
that kid is a tool

Skating Forever Even in Heaven
11-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I swear I'm the only person at my school that knwos anything about music.

yea same here
only a couple of my friends know music like me

n0tap0ser,n0tapr0
11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Meh, my father was more of a Boston fan.
mine too.

SkaSkate
11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
All these rap 50 cent posers are pathetic and should never speak in public. Even without being into rap I know who Cypress Hill are because they are FAMOUS, they're kinda hard to miss!!!

And yup Johnny Cash is a pretty cool musician.

Ah and about the ska girl, the clothing factory thing was hilarious, but still not surprising, dumb people are endless and diverse.

SkaSkate
11-11-2006, 11:55 AM
yea same here
only a couple of my friends know music like me

LOL shut up in another thread a little while ago you posted how the Limp Bizkit version of "behind blue eyes" was better than The Who's. - http://skateboard-city.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1136010&posted=1#post1136010

Then you posted "I haven't heard the Who's song, I'll have to check it out"

Just don't play badass please you're as ignorant as any other poser...

jonnyflip122
11-11-2006, 12:01 PM
pwnd

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Haha, what are their reasons for hating Sabbath?

They are like "Listen to this band(hatebreed, dispised icon, etc.." then say "Now listen to Black Sabbath... see.. its no where near as heavy, so how is it metal?"

Then they act like they "pwned" me.

almost_a_user_name
11-11-2006, 01:22 PM
They are like "Listen to this band(hatebreed, dispised icon, etc.." then say "Now listen to Black Sabbath... see.. its no where near as heavy, so how is it metal?"

Then they act like they "pwned" me.

sabbath practicly created metal

Century Child
11-11-2006, 01:25 PM
If he doesn't know who Eazy-E is let me know I will be glad to put my "Nuts On Your Chin" that kid. He doesn't know a damn thing about rap at all. "Fuck the Police" is a good song but not their best. For me the best NWA song is "100 Miles and Running", "Real Niggaz Don't Die", or "Niggaz For Life". Hell "Straight Out of Compton" isn't even NWA's best cd, its the most popular one cause "Fuck the Police" is on it. Again "Niggaz For Life" is a far better cd.

And I can see how he didn't know who Ice-T is here his cds aren't hardly in any store unless its a used cd. He should watch his show on vh1 but I heard the song "Cop Killer" its not that great cause of the effects used on his vocals, its sorta like the overused reverb effect used in black metal (real black metal), but hes fell out of the rap game, and only people that like rap to go back to the early roots would really remember him.

I wonder if he knows who Bone Thugs are? If he doesn't take his rap cds and break them cause if he claims to like rap and not know NWA (if he says a song that every parents know it doesn't count), Ice-T, Bone Thugs and not know Ice Cube was in NWA he doesn't have the right to listen to rap.

ispitfire
11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
i dont even know what to say. how do these people even consider themselves fans of these certain types of music but yet not know the origin of it all. im just starting to get into a different kind of music but i am starting to learn more and more about the origin and whatnot, but i dont go around with band shirts and w/e else and say im a diehard fan. cause i just hate all these kids my age saying they even like punk. you ask them there favorite bands and they will tell you some shit like modern green day shit or simple plan or w/e ever else is mainstream. if you even bring ups the words black flag, dead kennedys, sex pistols, or any other underground bands, these people dont even know what to say about it. and how can someone never hear about public enemy. they are a huge contibution in what hip hop has become for modern day music.and you should die if you say you are a fan of led zep. and not know who jimi page is. and if you cant talk about metal without talkin about the bands that started it all, such as black sabbath etc, then you should have no right to say the word "i love/like" and "metal" in the same sentence.

i have more to say but i really dont have the energy

dain84
11-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Oh no, you did not just call The Sex Pistols an underground band. They're possibly the most famous and shittiest punk band on the face of the planet.

Century Child
11-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I hate punk besides some Cryptic Slaughter songs and Ive heard of The Sex Pistols.

NickG
11-11-2006, 03:04 PM
i used to give a shit and bitch about MTV and posers and people trying to be who theyre not. now i just dont care, as these people are in endless supply and will always be around