PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been wondering

reptiskate52
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
If you dug a hole from from one end of the Earth through and dropped a rock into it, where would it land. Would it stop in the middle or come up on the other side?

Consider that the rock can't be melted/destroed and the hole is clear.

bradley7
11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Who know's,my guess is it would get stoped in the middle.

reptiskate52
11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Who know's,my guess is it would get stoped in the middle.
That's kind of what I thought because if it fell out the other side, it would drop the other way. Maybe it would go like a yo-yo.

Crispy
11-05-2006, 06:35 PM
It would get stuck in the middle

Skaterdude
11-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Stuck in the middle I think. It would probably execute revolutions around the very center of gravity since there isnt really certain way it could go. Gravity wouldn't allow it to just stand still, however.

shampoo
11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
The earth would explode.

pimpinkid
11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
hmm
i guess it would rotate in the middle of the earth?

Skaterdude
11-05-2006, 06:45 PM
The earth would explode.

Hahaha

reptiskate52
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
The shitty part is, this is near impossible to test.

leavemealone
11-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I have no idea..But whats up with several people having colored texts?

amillionkickflips
11-05-2006, 06:47 PM
well if the hole could actually go all the way through then there wouldnt be any gravitational pull (i dont think) so therefore it wouldnt go anywhere...

i dont know if that makes sense or not

shampoo
11-05-2006, 06:48 PM
If you dug a hole to the center of the earth, there would probably be a volcanic erruption before you could drop a stone. Magma would blast up through the hole from pressure.

skater_cop
I don't no really...It would probably stop.

Hairy Johnson
When I was little like 6 or 7 me my two brothers and 3 of my cousins decided it would be a good idea to pretty much dig a tunnel to china. Well we were young and dumb and after a couple hours of digging we quit but we left a nice sized whole in my backyard that we got bitched at for.
I forgot where it was from, but I remember hearing about like the longest tunnel ever was from some place in mexico across the border into america, it was used for drug runs or something? Anyway back in Nam' they put the little bastards to work digging tunnels everywhere.

Crispy
SPACE ( <--crust of da earth GRAVITAY!! ------> (ROCK IN CENTER HERE) <------GRAVITAY ) <--crust of earth space

Z3R0_SK8R_182
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM
gravity would stop the rock in the center, but it would remain in motion due to the rock not being able to stop at the precise center of gravity.

reptiskate52
11-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I have no idea..But whats up with several people having colored texts?
Well, B-B-baker was typing in green and I told him that I was going to start typing in red to show him how annoying it is. Then other people just tagged along.

amillionkickflips
11-05-2006, 07:07 PM
according to newton friction is what slows something down, so therefore if the rock did not touch the edges of the hole in any way, it would never stop. but thats saying there is a gravitational pull, so if there wasnt any gravitational pull then it would just sit there.

Hot Pie
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
The rock would go the the center of the earth and stop there, It would not go past the center and come back, it would just stop, right there, possibley rotate. Imagine droping a magnet onto another magnet, similar concept.

Hairy Johnson
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM
according to newton friction is what slows something down, so therefore if the rock did not touch the edges of the hole in any way, it would never stop. but thats saying there is a gravitational pull, so if there wasnt any gravitational pull then it would just sit there.
Newtons law of friction states that you have aids. Hahahaha you have aids.

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 07:18 PM
The rock would go the the center of the earth and stop there, It would not go past the center and come back, it would just stop, right there, possibley rotate. Imagine droping a magnet onto another magnet, similar concept.

Well according to the laws of physics that would be something of a miracle.

YourMom
11-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Hmmm, according to the law of physics the question is retarded

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Yeah, and so is the idea of Maxwell's Demon, its just a thought experiement.

YourMom
11-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Thank you for pointing out the obvious

drowning_fish
11-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it's kinda wierd since gravity isn't like a force from the middle of Earth that pulls stuff toward it. It's more like the whole Earth as a big rock pulls stuff toward it... I'm going with shampoo's theory. Lava or somthing would prolly just push it back up... I overthink these things

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Thank you for pointing out the obvious

QFT.

YourMom
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
haha, oh Mullensucks, what the fuck are you trying to pull here? You're the one who pointed out that Hot Pie's explanations had to be wrong according to the laws of physics. What's the point of making one exception to the rules whilst maintaining all others? Yes, you call it mental masturbation as you'd like, but I still find it retarded, which is just an opinion either way. But continue this discourse if you will...

djk102091
11-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Gravity would push it against the ground and it would get stuck.

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 07:42 PM
haha, oh Mullensucks, what the fuck are you trying to pull here? You're the one who pointed out that Hot Pie's explanations had to be wrong according to the laws of physics. What's the point of making one exception to the rules whilst maintaining all others? Yes, you call it mental masturbation as you'd like, but I still find it retarded, which is just an opinion either way. Continue this discourse if you will...

Well saying with complete certainty that the rock would come to a dead stop set of the bullshit alarm in my brain and demanded a response. Your post on the other hand was an outright denouncing of the question as "retarded". There's something of a difference.

YourMom
11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I know, don't you just love opinions?

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I know, don't you just love opinions?

My own, anyway.

Hot Pie
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
The rock would stop becuase the gravitational pull from the very center of the earth would be greater than the kinetic energy of the rock.

Edit: Maxwell's Demon is by far more retarded than this thought experiment.

Valo Negroth
11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
It would stop at the bottom cause thats where the Earth's gravity is. You don't see things that you put on the floor leaning at an angle.

Hot Pie
11-05-2006, 10:54 PM
It would stop at the bottom cause thats where the Earth's gravity is. You don't see things that you put on the floor leaning at an angle.

Your sig is disgusting.

Valo Negroth
11-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Your sig is disgusting.

Thats what everyone is saying, damn noone has love for the junkies. And I don't find it disgusting, other then the fact she looks like that whore Courtney Love (thankfully she has talent).

wolfgang
11-05-2006, 10:58 PM

errrrr, no

Hot Pie
11-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Thats what everyone is saying, damn noone has love for the junkies. And I don't find it disgusting, other then the fact she looks like that whore Courtney Love (thankfully she has talent).

Never heard of her.

Valo Negroth
11-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Never heard of her.

Mary Magdalan, its a new band. Their working on their demo cd right now.

himhkd
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM
it would stop in the middle
________
Harley-Davidson S-125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_S-125)

amillionkickflips
11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
it wouldnt stop in the middle, because if the hole went through the bottom of the earth and we're assuming earth didnt have a molten rock center, then the graviitational pull would be non existant, so therefore the rock wouldnt go anywhere.

MullenSucks
11-06-2006, 06:33 AM
The rock would stop becuase the gravitational pull from the very center of the earth would be greater than the kinetic energy of the rock.

Hahahhahahahahahahah, you got it, its way more retarded to question the laws of thermodynamics than to wonder if a rock dropped in a hole through the earth will levitate.

Monkey Sk8er
11-06-2006, 11:40 AM
i think it would stop and like get crused

B-B-Baker
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
it would stop in the center of the earth because satan would see it and be like ..."YES a new pet rock"

flipuk
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
lol there isn't any point in discussing this subject, so i wouldnt wonder about it for long.

Elementish
11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
thats why god put molten hot lava in the core so dumb shits like you dont try this!

-no offense-

bdc666666
11-06-2006, 02:52 PM
itd probly go on the side of the hole. cus the gravity would attract it from both sides. it would be like throwing something through a whole in a wall. after it loses momentum it would fall to one side....but which side?

ToxicSkater
11-06-2006, 03:04 PM
I made a thread about this a while back and I think it would ge stuck in the middle.

EDIT:
Wooty woot woot...3000th post!

fair enough
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
you cant dig a hole through the earth silly

theonlysun81
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, B-B-baker was typing in green and I told him that I was going to start typing in red to show him how annoying it is. Then other people just tagged along.

well now im typing in black so now any one else who does is a follower if me

TROGANMAN
11-06-2006, 03:14 PM
i wonder how long it would take the rock to get to the center of the earth.

Hot Pie
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Hahahhahahahahahahah, you got it, its way more retarded to question the laws of thermodynamics than to wonder if a rock dropped in a hole through the earth will levitate.

I didn't say that at all.

I'm disappointed in you, I was expecting for you to disprove me.

Airblaster
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
It would stop in the middle, but it wouldnt autimatically freeze. Momentum would cause it to keep going against gravity, and eventually it would level out in the middle.

TROGANMAN
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
i would think it would gradually slow down untill it came to a stop because of the opposing gravity force on the other side of the earth. But i don't know shit about science so i would say i'd be wrong.

n0tap0ser,n0tapr0
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
i would think it would gradually slow down untill it came to a stop because of the opposing gravity force on the other side of the earth. But i don't know shit about science so i would say i'd be wrong.

........ no

TROGANMAN
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
........ no
since you sound like your so sure of what is right and what is wrong, what will happen?

MullenSucks
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM

I didn't say that at all.

What?

YourMom
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
i wonder how long it would take the rock to get to the center of the earth.
about 19 minutes if my calculations are correct... but they're probably not

Dying_To_Live
11-06-2006, 07:00 PM
It would fall to the center of the Earth at terminal velocity until it reached the center. When it gets there it would keep going but start slowing down because gravity is pulling it back to the middle. it would go back and forth until it stoped in the middle.

Rock_em_tight
11-06-2006, 08:44 PM
I think in the middle.

Hot Pie
11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Just because Maxwell's Demon is a joke dosn't mean questioning the laws of thermodynamics as a whole is.

Edit: Everyone who is saying that the rock would go past the center and come back and go past the center ageain etc. until it stoped is underestamating the force of gravity, and the fact that the only reason the rock is moving in the first place is because of the pull of gravity.

B-B-Baker
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
are we talking about a little peeble or a big slab of rock or what

wolfgang
11-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Just because Maxwell's Demon is a joke dosn't mean questioning the laws of thermodynamics as a whole is.

Edit: Everyone who is saying that the rock would go past the center and come back and go past the center ageain etc. until it stoped is underestamating the force of gravity, and the fact that the only reason the rock is moving in the first place is because of the pull of gravity.

gravity is actually very weak, although i'm not sure how much stronger it gets closer to the center..

Century Child
11-06-2006, 10:55 PM
gravity is actually very weak, although i'm not sure how much stronger it gets closer to the center..

Yeah I bet the closer to the center you get the more pull it has. Thats why on smaller planets you would weigh more and on bigger ones you would weigh less cause your farther from the core.

yeahyeahyeah
11-07-2006, 03:01 AM
I would predict It would stay in the middle of the earth.

wolfgang
11-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah I bet the closer to the center you get the more pull it has. Thats why on smaller planets you would weigh more and on bigger ones you would weigh less cause your farther from the core.

The bigger something is the more gravity it creates (smaller planets don't create as much) and the closer you are the greater the pull that gravity exerts on you. I was wondering if the closeness was measured from the objects edge or from its center of gravity...

tony777
11-07-2006, 04:00 AM
It would go from china to america a couple hundred thousand times and then stop in the middle because of the equalized gravity.

amillionkickflips
11-07-2006, 04:49 AM
so i read this topic and then i started thinking about it... like, seriously all day i just kept thinking about this cause its fun to wonder about random stuff... and so yesterday me and my friend got extremely drunk and i remember bringing this up.... and we had a pretty weird discussion about it.

MullenSucks
11-07-2006, 07:27 AM

What the hell are you even talking about? How is it "a joke"?

the_unknown_soldier
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
i've seriously been wondering that all my life

Hot Pie
11-07-2006, 03:10 PM
What the hell are you even talking about? How is it "a joke"?

Quit avoiding disproving my theory.

MullenSucks
11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Quit avoiding disproving my theory.

I guess I missed it in the jumble of stupidty you buried it in. Tell me your "theory" again.

Hot Pie
11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I guess I missed it in the jumble of stupidty you buried it in. Tell me your "theory" again.

The rock would stop in the middle without any signaifacant movement past the center of the earth because the force of gravity is greater than the kinetic energy of the rock by a large enough margin to prevent it from moving away from the center.

Btw, I din't like maxwell's demon because (If I rember correctly) It is really the gases moving from one container, not actualy thermal energy, one body is getting signifacantly warmer but it is not because of the transfer of thermal energy.

SMR
11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I think it would go past the middle, but stop before it got pulled to the other side, and get pulled back, and go a little less farther past the middle, then go back, untill it eventually stopped

MullenSucks
11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
The rock would stop in the middle without any signaifacant movement past the center of the earth because the force of gravity is greater than the kinetic energy of the rock by a large enough margin to prevent it from moving away from the center.

Btw, I din't like maxwell's demon because (If I rember correctly) It is really the gases moving from one container, not actualy thermal energy, one body is getting signifacantly warmer but it is not because of the transfer of thermal energy.

Ooooooh, the theory about the rock, I thought you were trying to get me to defend Maxwell's Demon. ***** I dont give a shit about that.

Bleed the Freak
11-07-2006, 03:22 PM
i asked this in a different form a little while back.
it will stop in the middle. the magnetism of the poles will hold it there.

reptiskate52
11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
i asked this in a different form a little while back.
it will stop in the middle. the magnetism of the poles will hold it there.
Why the hell would magnetism come into play?

Hot Pie
11-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Ooooooh, the theory about the rock, I thought you were trying to get me to defend Maxwell's Demon. ***** I dont give a shit about that.

You said that I was retarded for thinking it would stop. I might be wrong, just what I think would happen. I was mostly hoping to learn from you telling me why you think it would not stop.

skyfire111
11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Now Im gonna be thinking about this all night...

MullenSucks
11-07-2006, 03:27 PM
You said that I was retarded for thinking it would stop. I might be wrong, just what I think would happen. I was mostly hoping to learn from you telling me why you think it would not stop.

I don't know if you meant this or not, but to me it read like you were saying it would instantly come to a stop. But if it was hollowed out, nothing would physically impede it, so the force of gravity would have something of a buoyant effect on it before it finally stopped.

Hot Pie
11-07-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know if you meant this or not, but to me it read like you were saying it would instantly come to a stop. But if it was hollowed out, nothing would physically impede it, so the force of gravity would have something of a buoyant effect on it before it finally stopped.

^thats what I thouhg tof first, but after I thought for awhile I came to the conclusion that it would stop.

But, that makes more sence now that I think about it, the further you go out form the center the less gravitational force, so there would be more kinetic energy from the rock coming through the center then the gravitation force on the oppisite side.

TROGANMAN
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-6585,00.html

http://mast.unco.edu/hotline/questions_archive/questions_winter_1999.php

here is what various possibly smart people say. about the rock and the hole

n0tap0ser,n0tapr0
11-07-2006, 03:38 PM
"It would be covered in cheese, silly. Nic kMedcroft, Cheltenham, UK"

haha, that was a comment.

flipuk
11-07-2006, 03:39 PM
It would be covered in cheese, silly.

Nic kMedcroft, Cheltenham, UK

HAHAHAHAHA

*and im laughing cos the town is where im from :P*

skyfire111
haha someone on the first link said "it would be covered in cheese silly" wtf?

reptiskate52
It would be covered in cheese, silly.

That was a great explanation. Haha.

Edit: Woah, four people posted the same thing at the same time.

MullenSucks
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, everyone can fucking see it. Its been posted 5 times.

flipuk
11-07-2006, 03:42 PM
im allowed to cos im from where the guy is who said it

Brian10
11-07-2006, 03:46 PM
the rock would go towards the center of gravity

Hot Pie
11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
the rock would go towards the center of gravity

NO WAY!!!!