PDA

View Full Version : FireFox vs IE

RollerCoaster
11-05-2006, 03:29 PM
well i was just reading the 'post your desktop!' thread and i noticed a ton of people use mozilla firefox.
i am currently using ie6 and i was going to upgrade to IE7.
can someone tell me good and bad things about both, is firefox better?

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Goddamn, look around on the fucking internet before making a thread about the simplest, most easy to find shit.

flipuk
11-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Security is the main thing. Microsoft have a habit (a very business minded one too) of releasing software very fast which is not complete but instead has quick fixes so that their product is on the market first. They are still relatively high quality but they are nowhere near safe or secure for the most part. This is why their are so many updates / service packs for Windows and programs such as IE. Although it will be safer now than when it was released first with XP or whichever OS you use, it isnt as safe as FF or another similar web browser.
it is kinda like the online banking issue a few years back. You could either build an amazing system costing you a lot of money and then release it, or you could build a make shift fake system which wasnt really electronic at all but to the user it did the job. This is what one company did, by the time the other banks had got there amazing system out the other one had a huge lead and had already started developing a proper system.

RollerCoaster
11-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Goddamn, look around on the fucking internet before making a thread about the simplest, most easy to find shit.
what am i supposed to do to get opinions? if i go to a firefox site they obviously arnt going to say bad things about it. same with IE.

thanks flipuk

I like kiwis
11-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Just try it for a while and you will find out.

Zeroskater11
11-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Firefox has tabbed browsing, its faster, safer, etc. IE is crap in my opinion.

Firefox>IE

yeahyeahyeah
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
firefox.

Schism
11-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Firefox is teh best.

RollerCoaster
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
thanks everyone, i think ill try firefox.

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Firefox has tabbed browsing, its faster, safer, etc. IE is crap in my opinion.

Firefox>IE

That has nothing to do with the program.

Adio Skater
11-05-2006, 04:11 PM
The newest IE has tabbed browing.

However, a lot of games like stick arena, dinkybomb, and runescape dont work good in firefox because of certain network connections and plugins.

But i prefer firefox because firefox has a very clean interface, simple buttons and its not cluttered like IE.

Randomzero
11-05-2006, 04:21 PM
i have firefox and i agree with adiosk8r that some games dont work,like stuff on pogo,but IE is pretty shitbirdish

20thCB
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
That has nothing to do with the program.

Well, almost everyone who uses it, and most reviews, will tell you it loads pages faster than IE. I think it does.

Anyway, I use Opera over Firefox.

rock-adio
11-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I like firefox way more.

MullenSucks
11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Well, almost everyone who uses it, and most reviews, will tell you it loads pages faster than IE. I think it does.

Anyway, I use Opera over Firefox.

I just read three different side by side comparisons. In all three, only one even mentioned speed, and it didn't compare the two, it just said "firefox is lauded for its download speed" (in case you're wondering it was in an article from Forbes magazine). What determines how fast a page loads is server strength, processing speed and personal internet connection, not the program you use to look at web pages. I think it doesn't.

Randomzero
11-05-2006, 04:37 PM
whats opera?

I like kiwis
11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
The newest IE has tabbed browing.

However, a lot of games like stick arena, dinkybomb, and runescape dont work good in firefox because of certain network connections and plugins.

But i prefer firefox because firefox has a very clean interface, simple buttons and its not cluttered like IE.
I wouldn't nessesarily say that about runescape, Because for the long time ive played it on IE, ive lost connection uncountable times, but when I play it on firefox I hardly loose connection, maybe once a month, plus its running smoother on here than on IE

RollerCoaster
11-05-2006, 04:42 PM
whats opera?

yeah, ive never heard of that

I like kiwis
11-05-2006, 04:44 PM
yeah, ive never heard of that
Opera is another web browser thats better than IE

20thCB
11-05-2006, 04:47 PM
I just read three different side by side comparisons. In all three, only one even mentioned speed, and it didn't compare the two, it just said "firefox is lauded for its download speed" (in case you're wondering it was in an article from Forbes magazine). What determines how fast a page loads is server strength, processing speed and personal internet connection, not the program you use to look at web pages. I think it doesn't.

Yeah, I know what dictates it. I guess I'm just thinking of people who said it rather than reviews.

Either way, if anyone wants to use Opera the website is...

www.opera.com

(go figure)

amillionkickflips
11-05-2006, 04:52 PM
i <3 firefox. IE blows

RollerCoaster
11-05-2006, 04:57 PM
from what i gathered is IE shit?

Randomzero
11-05-2006, 05:02 PM
is opera better or similar to IE

drizzle
11-05-2006, 05:09 PM
IE is ***** but I can't change because my father thinks that anything else will instantly give you 713739 viruses.

20thCB
11-05-2006, 05:11 PM
is opera better or similar to IE

Not anywhere near being similar to IE. Personally, I like it more than Firefox. It has more small, but helpful features and I've just become used to it. I also have about 50 widget games downloaded. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Randomzero
11-05-2006, 05:28 PM
sure why not

YourMom
11-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Eh, Firefox is more secure because it has a smaller user base. I bet if it were as popular as IE, it'd wouldn't be as safe because there would be more emphasis on making viruses and whatnot for it by crackers. As for features, it really depends on the person. I'm completely content using IE. It doesn't eat up tons of memory or fail to display certain types of images/animations.

fulltimeskater
11-05-2006, 06:11 PM
i just upgraded my ie a few days ago. im still iffy about firefox

flipuk
11-06-2006, 02:53 AM
MS, i dont know if it could alter the speed a program loads, but the programming behind the system would have an effect on its overall performance. Although Im not going to be the one to say FF's programming structure is better than IE because due to the amount of reviewing they both get i doubt there is any significant difference. Not sure if the code does effect it though, although I could quite easily find out but alas, im not too bothered.

MaC-
11-06-2006, 02:59 AM
I use firefox. I like it alot more than IE.

SomeoneAteMyRice
11-06-2006, 03:05 AM
firefox is cooler cause you can change the themes and whatnot

FrontsideFlip
11-23-2006, 01:18 AM
OPERA REPRESENT.

yeah, i use opera, it takes up about 5 MB on your hard drive, whereas firefox takes up about 25 MB.

flipuk
11-23-2006, 07:42 AM
OPERA REPRESENT.

yeah, i use opera, it takes up about 5 MB on your hard drive, whereas firefox takes up about 25 MB.
Considering the minimum average hard drive is 80gb+ nowadays im sure we all take 20MB into account when deciding which program to use.

Monkey Sk8er
11-23-2006, 08:01 AM
fire fox all the way

The Unwanted
11-23-2006, 08:10 AM
IE IS faster. i dont care what anyone says. i have a high-speed internet if that matters. Fire fox is about 3-6 seconds to load a page. IE takes around 1-4.

amillionkickflips
11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
ive been using firefox for so long now. i opened a link once and for some reason it opened IE and i was like "whaaaaaa?" IE is so confusing and weird looking compared to firefox. its set up all confusing and theres a million different buttons and stuff... i dont know im just used to firefox.

Absynthe
11-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Firefox is a tad faster than Opera.

Opera is more helpful, cleaner, and more user-friendly than Firefox.

Just get rid of IE and get Opera.