PDA

View Full Version : Emo?

skatrr
10-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Stole this from some kid's myspace. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Topic? The emo trend and what it really stands for.

The "emo" thing these days are really fucking gay. You should all know that by now, though. People automatically think you're "emo" when you wear plastic-rimmed glasses and hoodies. Oh, and supposedly you cut your wrists, cry, and write songs about your ex boyfriends/girlfriends, too? Yeah, that's it. First of all, emo stands for emotive hardcore music. A person cannot be emotive hardcore music. Therefore, it is incorrect to say, "I am emo". "Emo" is not short for "emotional." You got that? "Emo" does not mean Taking Back Sunday, Fallout Boy, The Used, My Chemical Romance, and Dashboard Confessional, even though MTV and Fuse make it seem that way. "Emo" is not side bangs, tight pants, and male vocalists who sing like little girls about their failed relationships.

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM AND STUFF?!

Well, it all started in the 80s, when there was a movement in the hardcore genre was known as "emotive hardcore," led by Rites Of Spring. Harder-core-than-thou kids, who swore by Dischord Records t' Minor Threat, used the term "emo" to... make fun of the kids who liked Rites Of Spring, and the new wave of emotive hardcore bands. Wow, "emo" was once not something kids called themselves! Well then. Most emo bands have broken up, but there's still the occasional holdout. A lot found its way onto vinyl and not much else.

Since the late 90s, bands like Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, and the thousands of the other fag bands have been coming out. I bet some lazy bitch was writing an article about them and decided "no one knows what the fuck emo is, so I'll call these bands "emo." it sounds better than pop rock, anyway!" and the spiral continued downwards into the current combination of bands MTV and Fuse has told everyone is "emo."

Somehow, people decided that "emo" meant "emotional," which is obviously bull***** since 99% of bands make music to dishonest emotion, which would make "emotional" a completely broad genre from classical to opera to pop to rap.

OH, OH! Wanna know actual emo bands?!
Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Jawbreaker, Sunny Day Real Estate, Cap N' Jazz, Braid, The Promise Ring, The Get Up Kids, Planes Mistaken For Stars, Jimmy Eat World (the OLD shit), Burning Airlines, Jets to Brazil, Jejune, Joan of Arc, etc. A lot of them are signed with Jade Tree.

ROTFL. I was browsing shit online and found this: HOW TO DRESS EMO

:sigh:

Im sure a couple of you have seen this already. Ill just put it here, since this bitch is mad long.

"The indie emo look - (best for girls and guys 16-20)
Dyed-black short hair with bangs short and cut straight across the forehead. Spiky in the back, slightly greasy... Really light blonde hair on girls often works too.
Piercings, the more the better.
Jewelry. The more the better. Beads, etc
Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eyeglasses (this works for all three types)
Tight, fadded shirts with random slogans. It should look like it could have been bought at a thrift store but you didn't (but you really did). It takes a while to master that one
Dark denim jean jackets
Messenger bag covered in patches and pins (that you actually bought at shows).
Tight pants, sometimes cuffed once or twice but never more!
Black or blue converse shoes

The nerdy emo look - (best for girls under 17 and guys over 21)
Short hair. Style it messy, but not spikey.
Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eye glasses (this works for all three types).
Thin, tight, solid dark color v-neck sweaters. I call them Grandpa sweaters.
Band shirts.
Messenger bag covered in patches and pins (that you bought at Hot Topic but you tell everyone you got them at shows).
Dickies work pants. Blue, black or gray only!
Argyle socks.
Black converse shoes.

The dressy emo look - (best for girls and guys over 20)
Black or brown hair. Flipped out on girls, mop top on guys.
Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eye glasses (this works for all three types).
a silver necklace with a star charm.
Scarves.
a black or navy blue pea coat.
Black messenger bag. No patches, one or two pins at the most (and only at the bottom of the strap).
Heavy dress slacks.
Doc Martens or clunky black shoes."

notaskateaholic
10-20-2006, 09:55 PM
What an emo bitch for writing that

Monkey Sk8er
10-20-2006, 10:53 PM
emos suck me mate just decided to become emo and he is all reddy cutin him self lol

Skater_goth
10-20-2006, 11:11 PM
this is very true,
and factual,

i think that if everyone read this and followed by it then the world would be a better place.

Dying_To_Live
10-20-2006, 11:30 PM
even though its probably true its still queer.

mkcrank mulisha
10-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Well, I dont care if the pop rock, post hardcore, fucking scene losers, or emotive hardcore, there all still gonna kicked in the nuts if I ever see them.

black_world_skater
10-21-2006, 05:34 AM
Well, I dont care if the pop rock, post hardcore, fucking scene losers, or emotive hardcore, there all still gonna kicked in the nuts if I ever see them.
Dropkicked.

ruckus.
10-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Dammit, shut up. We know! These 'emo is music' threads are becoming about as common as 'I saw an emo so I shot him in the face' threads, especially on myspace. I wish everyone would just move onto something else now, some new retarded trend to make fun of.

Klausfloride
10-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Enough with these stupid threads. Wow, your so good at stating the obvious nature of the akward phases of teenage life. You act as though this is something new, the only difference is the marketablity. I remeber when i was a kid i saw older kids were sweaters and converse's. Alos they get nicer glasses because they become less embarrassed of their handicapped vision. Their is nothing new to this, the teen years are the time of identiy crisis and role confusion. Its pretty basic psychology, the only difference it that people have found a way to market it to impressionable children that find comfort in comformity.

Also i wear near converse's(no sweat), have glasses, have medium length dark hair, and i recently purchased a sweater(is fall dumbasses). So what are you gonna do about it bitch!