PDA

View Full Version : So i'm thinking about getting this guitar

Skaterdude
10-20-2006, 12:36 PM
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/7/6/8/273768.jpg

I think it's badass. It's a Gibson SG Special, 60's replica.
The deal is, it's $579.99. I want to know if anyone has played a Gibson before, and if it would be worth the hard work (I'm 14, thus having no real job).

Sorry if this belongs in the music section, but it seemed off-topic enough to me.

skateboardkid
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, if you really want to work that hard for it, you should think hard about it, think how often you would play it. Would you use it constantly? Would you use it in several years? Just think of the possibilities, unless you don't care about doing lots of hard work.

Snake
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Youv only been playing 2 months and your getting a gibson....

Skaterdude
10-20-2006, 12:44 PM

I need an upgrade from my B.C. Bronze, and I love how this guitar looks. I also play guitar constantly, so it wouldnt be a waste.

SkaterForLife117
10-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm getting that exact guitar in a few weeks, I really like it. If I where you, I would just save my money though, I played a squier strat for 3 years.

What I'm trying to say is save your money unless you know this is something that you're going to stick to and play every day. Two monthes isn't very long for something that is going to cost around $600. If you know it's somthing that you're going to stick to, look around more, don't get it just because of how it looks. What I did for my friend was when he was looking to get a new guitar, there where two that he couldn't choose between so I had him stand in the corner of the room and face the wall so he couldn't see wich one I was playing, I played the same song on both of them. When I asked him what one sounded better, he chose the one that he didn't like the look of as much but because it sounded a lot better, he bought that one instead and is very glad he did.

If you want some help with anything, feel free to PM me.

$0uL1CiTii*~
10-20-2006, 01:16 PM
I have the epiphone version of that, and a kid I know has the gibson, and its super smooth. Personally my favorite guitar I've ever played is a Fender, but Gibsons are pretty shnazzy too. Good Luck bro.

star_skater
10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
hmm if you can afford it , go for it

DomPy
10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
my epiphone SG custom is so much nicer than all the Gibsons i've played, no jike. THe neck is just much smoother and it has a much more precose tone.

Snake
10-20-2006, 02:44 PM
I need an upgrade from my B.C. Bronze, and I love how this guitar looks. I also play guitar constantly, so it wouldnt be a waste.

I had a fucking johnson strat copy and an amp with no gain whatsoever for a complete year. Youll survive.

rock-adio
10-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Just get something cheep till you get really good and have been playing for a couple years. Thats alot to spend on a guitar just basicly to learn on.

bandikid
10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
http://media.bestprices.com/content/music/00/445509.jpg

yeahyeahyeah
10-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Get it.

drowning_fish
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I had one of these

http://www.roadhousemusic.org/images/inventory/stratpak1.jpg

...For about 2.5-3 years ...I still have the headphones.

And when that pic just loaded, I literally said "holy shit." That's a nice guitar bro. I'd just wait though. It doesn't really matter right now as you're still learning basics and stuff (I'm assuming since people say you've been playing 2 months, and the threads you make in "Music" for guitar help kinda proves it) so yeah... Not really worth the price at the moment...

This is kinda off topic from this but does anyone know exactly which model Les Paul Mastodon use? For future reference. My Schecter is kickass for now.

yeahyeahyeah
10-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I had one of these

http://www.roadhousemusic.org/images/inventory/stratpak1.jpg

...For about 2.5-3 years ...I still have the headphones.

And when that pic just loaded, I literally said "holy shit." That's a nice guitar bro. I'd just wait though. It doesn't really matter right now as you're still learning basics and stuff (I'm assuming since people say you've been playing 2 months, and the threads you make in "Music" for guitar help kinda proves it) so yeah... Not really worth the price at the moment...

This is kinda off topic from this but does anyone know exactly which model Les Paul Mastodon use? For future reference. My Schecter is kickass for now.

damn, i have a fender too. suh-weet

drowning_fish
10-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Actually mine sucked ass...

...But I'm ghetto like dat

.Blackie.
10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
My bassist uses a Gibson SG bass.

Coo.

enjoi the panda
10-20-2006, 08:27 PM
that shits amazing ... same as teh angus

drowning_fish
10-20-2006, 08:37 PM
...And you stole your sig from my post

Skaterdude
10-20-2006, 08:59 PM
I know I havent really been playing that long, but really..come on. I think that guitar is sick, and I need an upgrade from my old guitar. To be honest, I can't play some of the songs im learning using my current guitar, it can't achieve the proper tone that I need, even with it's hookups.
Also, don't say that i'm "not good enough" to have a Gibson...i'm not great, but i'm decent.

drowning_fish
10-20-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not arguing with the fact that you're good or not, but you don't have to get the same tone as the song... Hell I just use 2 settings (clean and dirty), which is good enough for me... And getting a Gibson doesn't mean that you will be able to have those tones...

Brian10
10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
if you have the money go for it!

drowning_fish
10-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Now that's what I can shitty advice!

Skaterdude
10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not arguing with the fact that you're good or not, but you don't have to get the same tone as the song... Hell I just use 2 settings (clean and dirty), which is good enough for me... And getting a Gibson doesn't mean that you will be able to have those tones...

Eh that isnt exactly what I meant to argue, but I suppose it sounded like it. I know that if I get it I wont be able to sound off every tone I want, but it'll be different and more fitted for playing the songs I want, if that makes sense.

GetWrecked77
10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
i haven't been playing for that long either, and i just got this guitar today for 100 bucks: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/6/1/438661.jpg

it's a junior cause the one pickup, but i wanted it cause i could get some johnny thunders-esque tones. i really like it. and it came quick, i only mailed the check out last monday.

SkaSkate
10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Gibsons are the ultimate guitars, if you have the money get one!

Dying_To_Live
10-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Being a drummer i rate guitars on their apperance. Its about a 6/10. PM me if you want me to rate other guitars.

drowning_fish
10-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Eh that isnt exactly what I meant to argue, but I suppose it sounded like it. I know that if I get it I wont be able to sound off every tone I want, but it'll be different and more fitted for playing the songs I want, if that makes sense.

Yeah I know what you mean... But I'm saying you don't need the same tone right now. Since you're just starting, all you need to know is how to play the song, not how to make your guitar sound like the song... Since you prolly won't be making any of your own stuff at the moment, the one you have right now is good enough. Later on, you can go find a guitar that has the right tone for the stuff you want to create

::ninja::
10-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Being a drummer i rate guitars on their apperance. Its about a 6/10. PM me if you want me to rate other guitars.

a 6/10? you must need glasses, that thing is BADASS

Skaterdude
10-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah I know what you mean... But I'm saying you don't need the same tone right now. Since you're just starting, all you need to know is how to play the song, not how to make your guitar sound like the song... Since you prolly won't be making any of your own stuff at the moment, the one you have right now is good enough. Later on, you can go find a guitar that has the right tone for the stuff you want to create

I understand what you're saying. One problem with me though is i'm sort of a perfectionist when it comes to playing songs...I need it to sound right, or else I just won't play it. On top of that, the guitar is just plain sick.
What i'm saying is I don't want some sort of grainy song i'm trying to play sound like it's being played with a banjo...haha.

Popwar Pill
10-21-2006, 11:02 AM
You know it is possible to just fiddle with your amp until it sounds like the song. Sometimes it's not just about the tone and pickups in the guitar.

GetWrecked77
10-21-2006, 12:17 PM
here's something i came up with the guitar i just got. i pretty much made it up on the spot, so i'm gonna work with it and make it into a real song.

http://www.freewebs.com/kissmymachine/Shtuff/Kiss%20My%20Machine%20%2D%20Untitled.mp3

yeahyeahyeah
10-21-2006, 12:28 PM
one last time, GET THE GUITAR

Skaterdude
10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
one last time, GET THE GUITAR

im gonna fuckin get it, now shut your ass up

bdc666666
10-21-2006, 01:17 PM

my friend got a 700$ guitar when he started out, if you think thats a stupid purchase, consider i used all of last weeks salry on scratch lottery tickets. seem dumb?! WONT BE WHEN IM A MILLIONAIRE!

SoHereIAm
10-21-2006, 01:21 PM
better be careful with that beauty. I'm glad I didn't get a really nice guitar/don't have really nice one, 'least not yet. The one I has scratched off paint in numerous places and the pickguard is scratched due to some dumbfucks stealing it and the back has all these scratches on it and ***** too.

yeahyeahyeah
10-21-2006, 01:52 PM
im gonna fuckin get it, now shut your ass up

:'( :smile1: