PDA

View Full Version : The Smiths...

ABCDENJOI
10-19-2006, 12:52 PM
anyone heard of them? there pretty good. If youve seen bag of suck they sound a lot like the songs in jerry hsu's part...

Strangeways Here We Come and Meat is Murder are good cds..

Vivica
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Morrissey!!

...However being serious...

I think any band that can release 8 quality albums in half as many years, deserves some serious credit.
A brilliant band, but a band that really had quite limited scope, both in terms of audience, and in terms of progression.
I totally agree about Meat is Murder, great album, great concept.

I put them in the same sort of bracket as the more popular Cure and Cult records (wow, that's hardly surprising), but where as The Cure and The Cult both diversified and were really interesting, the only outstanding thing that came out of The Smiths, apart from famous songs such as "How soon is now?", is Morrissey, and his hair.

...I will understand why my views may be met with criticism from some more musically educated members

timorousme
10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree. Morrissey alone is much better. Did you guys know that Marr is in Modest Mouse now?

ABCDENJOI
10-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Morrissey!!

...However being serious...

I think any band that can release 8 quality albums in half as many years, deserves some serious credit.
A brilliant band, but a band that really had quite limited scope, both in terms of audience, and in terms of progression.
I totally agree about Meat is Murder, great album, great concept.

I put them in the same sort of bracket as the more popular Cure and Cult records (wow, that's hardly surprising), but where as The Cure and The Cult both diversified and were really interesting, the only outstanding thing that came out of The Smiths, apart from famous songs such as "How soon is now?", is Morrissey, and his hair.

...I will understand why my views may be met with criticism from some more musically educated members

holy crap//... did you write the wikipedia thing for them?

it sucks that itunes only has one smiths cd though.....but theres like 35 of just Morrissey

Vivica
10-28-2006, 08:52 AM
No, no i did not, i've never been on The Smiths wiki, but i'd bet money that whoever its contributors are know a hell of alot more about them than i do!

-=MuTT=-
10-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Hatful of Harrow is a fantastic CD. One of my favorites.

Volcom101
10-31-2006, 01:34 PM
I love the smiths. This Charming Man has some awesome fretwork from Marr. Also Bigmouth Strikes Again has some of the weirdist lyrics i've ever heard, but it's a kickass song.

"Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking
When I said I'd like to smash every tooth
In your head

Oh ... sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking
When I said by rights you should be
Bludgeoned in your bed

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her roman nose
And her Walkman started to melt
Oh ...

Bigmouth, la ... bigmouth, la ...
Bigmouth strikes again
And I've got no right to take my place
With the Human race

Oh, bigmouth, la ... bigmouth, la
Bigmouth strikes again
With the Human race

And now I know how Joan of Arc felt
Now I know how Joan of Arc felt
As the flames rose to her roman nose
And her hearing aid started to melt

Bigmouth, la ... bigmouth, la ...
Bigmouth strikes again
With the Human race
Oh ...

Bigmouth, oh ... bigmouth, la ...
Bigmouth strikes again
With the Human race
Oh ...

Bigmouth strikes again
With the Human race
Oh ...

Bigmouth strikes again
With the Human race
Oh ... "

Ight Dawg
04-14-2007, 06:18 AM
if you dont listen to him/ them, please die.

timorousme
04-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Morrissey's my buddy icon. That statement still stands without the "buddy."

-=MuTT=-
04-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Not really Morrisey, but I do like the Smiths a lot.

Skaterdude
04-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Once I heard "Handsome Devil" in Arto Saari's part in "Really Sorry", I checked them out and I was instantly hooked. Morrisey is pretty good too, but I would probably pick the Smiths over Morrisey any day.

Stroh
04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
barbarism begins at home is one of my favorite songs to play on bass

jpharaoh69
04-14-2007, 02:01 PM
i was in a music store and the guy in line in front of me bought a solid 10-20 vinyl records by them...it was crazy. the total came out to like 300$.

Tofu Man
04-14-2007, 07:37 PM
I heard them in Arto's part in Really Sorry and I have that downloaded. You guys are forcing me to go get more.

timorousme
04-14-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm a personal fan of Louder Than the Bombs. The Smiths are probably the only band that can piece together such great albums with nothing but singles and their B-Sides. All of their compilation albums are incredible.