PDA

View Full Version : Indie

burnyourfriends
09-10-2006, 10:05 AM
I love indie. Its just awesome. There is a lotta generic indie, but some fantastic indie. Its some nice and mellow stuff. Any other indie fans out there? Favorite bands?, ect.?

RainMaker
09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
The Kooks are my fav indie rock band, they are quite well known in the UK, but little anywere alse.

nickredding
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
yeah kooks are good i like listenin 2 a bit of indie buti think rock is better.
arctic monkeys are my favourite indy band

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Indie isn't a genre. I am sick of people saying "They sound indie" or "They don't sound indie". Indie stands for "Independent" not a genre. Lots of metal bands could be considered indie.

burnyourfriends
09-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Indie isn't a genre. I am sick of people saying "They sound indie" or "They don't sound indie". Indie stands for "Independent" not a genre. Lots of metal bands could be considered indie.

I agree with you on that one. But unfortunetly when people slap labels on things, they tend to stick. So that is why I used the word indie, because it has become a genre because of dumb people.

timorousme
09-10-2006, 12:09 PM

Actually, indie was first used in the 80's to describe the jangly guitar pop and the C-86 movement, which then came to evolve into what a lot of people call indie today (most of the stuff I listen to). It is a genre. Hence why some indie bands are on major labels.

notaskateaholic
09-10-2006, 12:16 PM
All I listen to is Indie, I don't have any favorite bands because I listen to so much of it. My favorite right now is The Album Leaf, but that'll probably change like tommorow haha.

RATTM, I disagree, I agree with timorousme

leavemealone
09-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I dont listen to much of that type of music. But my favorite would have to be Interpol. Interpol is gnarly

Popwar Pill
09-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Just like emo...wrong terms being used.

turk
09-10-2006, 12:41 PM
yes wrong terms for indie..rock bands can write indie songs like others.there is no indie bands..indie not mean indepentend..
about indie songs modest mouse rocks:D

d-ville skater
09-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Just like emo...wrong terms being used.

exactly

timorousme
09-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Just out of curosity... What makes something a genre? Is it the choice of the populous? Is there a special organization that says "OK... You're a genre. Nope, that isn't though?" I mean, what makes a person right or wrong when it comes to something being a genre?

Furthermore, who has the say of what goes into that genre? An example of this would be Star Wars. Everybody says that Star Wars is a sci-fi movie. I say that Star Wars is one of the greatest westerns ever made. Who's to say?

burnyourfriends
09-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Just out of curosity... What makes something a genre? Is it the choice of the populous? Is there a special organization that says "OK... You're a genre. Nope, that isn't though?" I mean, what makes a person right or wrong when it comes to something being a genre?

Furthermore, who has the say of what goes into that genre? An example of this would be Star Wars. Everybody says that Star Wars is a sci-fi movie. I say that Star Wars is one of the greatest westerns ever made. Who's to say?

there is no official genre list. As you can see theres so much genre crap. rockabilly, rock, metalcore, emocore. What is the diff between emo and emo care. they sound the same. I dislike genres cause some bands just cant be classified. I am also rather uninformed about how the whole "indie" scene got started but yes genres are whack. Anyone care to share some good indie bands with me? I am seeking to expand my itunes library.

liebherk
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
well, sci-fi stands for science fiction. It's obviously fiction, and the science part entails that the movie contains some kind of technology or whatever other scienctific thingy that doesn't exist (yet).

timorousme
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
well, sci-fi stands for science fiction. It's obviously fiction, and the science part entails that the movie contains some kind of technology or whatever other scienctific thingy that doesn't exist (yet).

It was just to prove a point. Though, it is my view on Star Wars, it wasn't meant as a way to discredit it as science fiction.

liebherk
09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
It was just to prove a point. Though, it is my view on Star Wars, it wasn't meant as a way to discredit it as science fiction.

you probably just think that because Tatooine is a desert planet...

timorousme
09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
you probably just think that because Tatooine is a desert planet...

Actually that has nothing to do with it...

Think about it. It has all of the basic characters of a western. Has the same premise and storyline. You have your big duel, but instead of reaching in and grabbing the six gun out of your hulster, you have your lightsaber in there. In westerns, you have your savage apaches, in Star Wars, you have sand people. Watch a basic western and then watch Star Wars. You'll be suprised.

liebherk
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Actually that has nothing to do with it...

Think about it. It has all of the basic characters of a western. Has the same premise and storyline. You have your big duel, but instead of reaching in and grabbing the six gun out of your hulster, you have your lightsaber in there. In westerns, you have your savage apaches, in Star Wars, you have sand people. Watch a basic western and then watch Star Wars. You'll be suprised.

well, I see where you're coming from, but the same thing could be applied to other things. I forget what it's called, but the movie adapted from the book Heart of Darkness comes to mind.

timorousme
09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
well, I see where you're coming from, but the same thing could be applied to other things. I forget what it's called, but the movie adapted from the book Heart of Darkness comes to mind.

Apocalypse Now?

liebherk
09-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Apocalypse Now?

that's it. I mostly thought of that because of the savages, but my point was, big duel and savages, that's kind of broad.

cameronbailey
09-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Older genres are based on the technical aspects of the music. I'm not sure if newer ones are.

Blues is blues because of the rhythm, chord progressions, and time structure.
Same with Jazz, Classical, etc. So you can be wrong. It's not really an interpretation.

timorousme
09-10-2006, 08:43 PM
that's it. I mostly thought of that because of the savages, but my point was, big duel and savages, that's kind of broad.

EXACTLY! Genres are broad. There isn't anything really exclusive about them. While I admit, there is a limit to the grey area, people are too quick to say "That's not that, that belongs there, etc."

timorousme
09-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Older genres are based on the technical aspects of the music. I'm not sure if newer ones are.

Blues is blues because of the rhythm, chord progressions, and time structure.
Same with Jazz, Classical, etc. So you can be wrong. It's not really an interpretation.

On the contrary.

I never said that they can't be wrong, but rather that the genres are broad and really undefined. And for somebody to say that a genre doesn't even exist just gets to me.

What's Beethoven? Classical or romantic? There's still lots of shady areas in it all.

A lot of people argue about what jazz is. There are songs that I write that I've gotten into arguments over. Some people called the intro jazz. I called it folk-rock.

fat_poser
09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
indie sux, emo sux, hardcore sux, YOU SUCK!

omgz so hxc

RainMaker
09-11-2006, 09:15 AM
indie sux, emo sux, hardcore sux, YOU SUCK!

omgz so hxc

Isnt That from the song "what about punk rock - anti flag " ?

SMR
09-11-2006, 11:47 AM

I like you and all, but seriously, if you consider it mainly as a western, you're only doing it to be different.. (although it does have western qualities)

gimp
09-11-2006, 12:29 PM
The Kooks are my fav indie rock band, they are quite well known in the UK, but little anywere alse.

YEAH! the kookS! lol. indie rocks, I went to see Hard-Fi last year. Damn tht was good lol.

timorousme
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I like you and all, but seriously, if you consider it mainly as a western, you're only doing it to be different.. (although it does have western qualities)

Oh yes, I'm such a non-conformnist. This is the only time in my life that I've ever talked about this, but I still do it to be different around a bunch of people that I'll never meet in my entire life.

Seriously though, it isn't a really radical thought process. I read an essay once explaining how Star Wars is actually a samurai movie. It's actually pretty good, I'll link it if I ever come across it again. There are many people that think that Star Wars is just a twist on an other genre. I happened to have saw the movie right after watching a Sergio Leone movie and my opinion went from there.

It's more than just "it has western qualities." The whole framework of the movie is a western. It even starts out "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away." Which is strikingly comparable to westerns. A long time ago, only instead of in the untamed west, it's the untamed galaxy. Watch the movie again. The whole thing is just a fancy western.

In any case, back to the point. Genre's are incredibly broad and open. For somebody to say that a genre doesn't exist is completely outrageous. I just don't see how one person has the ability to say something like that.

And I still haven't been answered the question of what makes something a genre or not? And who has the say of what goes into that genre?

SMR
09-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Oh yes, I'm such a non-conformnist. This is the only time in my life that I've ever talked about this, but I still do it to be different around a bunch of people that I'll never meet in my entire life.

Seriously though, it isn't a really radical thought process. I read an essay once explaining how Star Wars is actually a samurai movie. It's actually pretty good, I'll link it if I ever come across it again. There are many people that think that Star Wars is just a twist on an other genre. I happened to have saw the movie right after watching a Sergio Leone movie and my opinion went from there.

It's more than just "it has western qualities." The whole framework of the movie is a western. It even starts out "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away." Which is strikingly comparable to westerns. A long time ago, only instead of in the untamed west, it's the untamed galaxy. Watch the movie again. The whole thing is just a fancy western.

In any case, back to the point. Genre's are incredibly broad and open. For somebody to say that a genre doesn't exist is completely outrageous. I just don't see how one person has the ability to say something like that.

And I still haven't been answered the question of what makes something a genre or not? And who has the say of what goes into that genre?

You can point out that a movie is any genre, I'm with you on not classifying stuff or only liking it because it fits one image all the way. I'd actually heard the western thing before, and tried to explain it crazy Star Wars nerd neighbor and he flipped at me because of how much he hates Westerns.

It's a subjective thing really though, and I worded that differently than I should've.