PDA

View Full Version : Bands with Outstanding Drumming

YourMom
07-31-2006, 01:09 AM
Lately I've been craving some really great drumming. For drumming to be outstanding, to me, it has to be memorable and catchy, the tone has to be distinctive (but not annoying), fills have to be interesting and through-out, and it has to be a prominent and progressive feature of the band; it should really guide the band instead of just being "background music." It's usually something you notice without thinking about much. You just know it when you hear it.

So can you guys recommend me bands with drummers that personify this? I'm open to any kind of band and genre--Jazz, Rock, Classical or whatever. Anyway, name away!

mugg
07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
I think Tre Cool in Green Day kicks ass, I guess mainly cuz of his attitude but his drumming is fantastic.

Roboman
07-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Bloc Party - Matt Tong is so damn accurate, and does some bloody complex stuff with his single kick.

mugg
07-31-2006, 01:17 AM
A single band member can make a decent band into a brilliant band.

damo
07-31-2006, 01:55 AM
meshuggah's drummer, tomas haake, is in my opinion one of the most talented drummers around. but then again, its not like you can head bang to it very well when the drum pattern is so complex and out of time to the riffs. but its pretty nice, esp their earlier stuff which was more straight forward and thrashy.
a few other bands which have great drummers are: (u prolly already listen to em anyway)

sepultura
?uestlove did most of the drumming for the roots. which is niiiice jazz hiphop if u wanna check it out
vader
primus
mars volta
béla fleck and the flecktones - a jazz/fusion group with a decent drummer. but he doesnt use drums per se. he uses a synthaxe drumitar (sp?) which u gotta check out a picture of at least.

bc1718
07-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Just listen to most jazz and funk bands.

Klausfloride
07-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Vanilla Fudge - Carmen Appice
Cream - Gigner Baker

and if you like drummer boy marching type snare then Crass.

SkateTilldaDeath
07-31-2006, 07:41 AM
i dont know much about drumming, but this song has exceptionally good drum solos and stuff
radar love by white lion

skateboardkid
07-31-2006, 07:43 AM
tool

tweaked
07-31-2006, 08:33 AM
bloc party

SkateorElse
07-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Cream, Zeppelin, The Who.

Century Child
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Origin has great drums, they are hard to find though, so if you can download songs I say download the song "Born Still Born".

ispitfire
07-31-2006, 01:19 PM
im no drummer but ive hear good things about Rush's drummer

Ipswitch
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Miles Davis (guy in my avatar) has gone through some unbelievable drummers. Some of jazz greatest drummers. Tony Williams was one of his drummers, and he's one of my favorite. Check out the song "Footprints". Amazing.

Galactic, which is a New Orleans funk band, has Stanton Moore as their drummer, who is one of the most respected funk drummers today. Check Galactic out for sure.

John Scofield is an amazing guitarist, who has great drummers play with him. One of my favorite songs is his song called "Ideofunk". Great song. Sweet funk drumming.

Medeski, Martin, & Wood is a great funk trio. Very creative drumming. They had a concert on Comcast On Demand for a bit, but I dont think its there anymore. It was a sweet show. It was at the Newport Jazz Festival.

Insaneskate
07-31-2006, 05:24 PM
hey if u wanna hear an amazing drummer, just listen to any song by Rush. their drummer, Neil Peart, is one of the best drummers ever IMO. another one i can think of off the top of my head is Dave Lombardo from Slayer.

YourMom
08-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Green Day's drummer does give the band a certain edge a lot of people like... I'll download some of my favorite song of theirs but I'm not buying a full-length album.

Bloc-Party sounds great, thanks Robo (and Tweaked).

I've heard a lot about Meshuggah's drummer--polyrythmns and whatnot--but I've never given them a proper listen. I think it's about time I get their most talked about album, "Destroy Erase Improve." I don't like Sepultura, and never really have. ?eustlove sound interesting, I'll check 'em out. I've heard Vader and Doc is one of my favorite Metal drummers. Haven't heard Primus, but I hear a lot of talk about Les Claypool, and I'm familiar with Larry Lalonde's work with Possessed, which is killer. I'll check them out. Mars Volta, an alt. band I'm guessing. I'll review some of their videos to see if they're worthy. I'll see what's up with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, but I'm looking for outstanding drummers mind you!

bc1718, indeed, I've heard that many times. I guess I'll do some self studying on those genres.

Cool recs Klausfloride. I've heard of Cream and their drummer is indeed great (Toad!!!). I'll check out Carmen Appice. And yes, I love any type of snare drumming, so I'll check out Crass.

White Lion did "Radar Love"? Interesting, I've only listened to their album "Pride". That song is a cover of Golden Earing BTW. I remember it being a good song. I don't know about the drumming but I'll reaquiant myself by listening to White Lion's version I guess. Their guitarist Vito Bratta is a great guitarist if nothing else.

I guess I'll review some Tool...

I guess I'll review some Zeppelin too, not a big fan of them really. The Who are good, I've known that.

Origin's drummer is one of the best aspects of the band. I have their album "Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas." I'll buy their latest album as it's getting better reviews. They aren't that hard to find though. They're pretty mainstream in fact, known mainly for their gravity blasts.

Yes, everyone hears good things about Neil Peart, ispitfire. He's one of my favorites in fact. Rush is a great band in general.

Will surely do, ipswitch, about the Miles Davis part. You make the rest of the drummers sound great too. I'll seek them out to the best of my ability.

Yeah, as I just mentioned, Neil Peart is one my favorites. Dave Lombardo is pretty good, but somewhat overrated. My favorite Thrash Metal drummer is Ventor from German band Kreator. "Flag Of Hate", "Pleasure To Kill" and "The Pestilence" are but a few songs that really showcase his prowess, and are some of my favorite songs too. If anyone is interested in good Thrash Metal drumming, check out the two bands in my signature, Nocturnal Fear and Slaughter (they're actually Death/Thrash but are closer to being Thrash bands). Great bands... free mp3s too.

magic mushroom
08-03-2006, 09:10 PM
i have a drum solo by travis barker, it seems fairly good, but i know nothing about drums.

YourMom
08-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I think a lot of people overpraise that guy. He's OK but Blink-182 and his work in that band are unimpressive. Oh, and you don't have to know anything about drumming. You can just suggest stuff you really stands out to you as catchy, spirited and sounding very, very good. I'll be willing to give it a listen... if I haven't already deemed it unworthy

Rock_Rocks77
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
neil peart from rush

Century Child
08-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Origin
Cloning the Stillborn
Staring From The Abyss
Debased Humanity
Echoes Of Decimation

to get you started out. But those only apply if you like blister fast drumming.

sk8bum77
08-04-2006, 01:53 AM
First and foremost, John Bonham (Led Zeppelin). There is no greater drum solo than Moby Dick. Its bloody ridiculous. I once found a video for it too, hes insane. I think the devil got a 2 for 1 deal on him n page's souls.

Many other have been mentioned, Neil from rush, the dude from the Who.

Tool is also damn good, i remember once hearing something about a lot of the drummer's playing is based on mathematical equations, though i fail to understand how that works. Something about one whole song being played on the equation for a circle? Probably bull***** cool nonetheless.

I dont know a lot about Jazz/Funk, but practicing jazz drumming is the single best way to improve your drumming all around. Its a lot of off-beat rythms, very cool.

If your looking more contemporary, Listen to some A7X. I think matt shadows ruins that band, but the reverend is pretty damn sweet. I saw them in concert, hes really fun to watch, because hes very theatrical with his playing, raising his arms, spinning his sticks, tossing and catching, fun stuff.

And the guy from senses fail might not be super-awesome, but i really like him, does good stuff for that band.

crescent_4
08-04-2006, 02:48 AM
no one here knows the great drummers that have ever existed these here are some great drummers
keith moon-the who
john bonham-led zeppelin
neil peart-rush
lars ulrich-metallica
nick menza-megadeth (89-98)
bill ward-black sabbath

the_ack_attack
08-04-2006, 02:51 AM
neil peart from rush

His DVD is outrageous. His set completely surrounds him in a circle, it's nuts.

sk8bum77
08-04-2006, 09:11 AM
AHHHH i forgot one! Portnoy from the band Dream Theater. That entire band is virtuosos. Portnoy has the most insane drum sets, like 586548763452 peices. look him up, and i think his set is called the 'siamese monster' or 'siamese dragon' or something.

crescent_4
08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
neil pearts drum kit cost 1 million $ no joke but keith moon bless his soul and john bonham bless his soul also were probably the two most solid drummers no one and i mean no one kept a beat like john bonham

Nate
08-05-2006, 06:26 AM
AHHHH i forgot one! Portnoy from the band Dream Theater. That entire band is virtuosos. Portnoy has the most insane drum sets, like 586548763452 peices. look him up, and i think his set is called the 'siamese monster' or 'siamese dragon' or something.

the simaese monster, the green monster, and another one are all huge.
Drema theater is truely amazing.

NickG
08-05-2006, 09:12 AM
g unit has some good drum beats

YourMom
08-05-2006, 09:15 AM
No kidding...

bIg-BaBy-J3sus
08-06-2006, 05:16 AM
allman brothers have some damn sick percussion sections especially live

iplaydrums
08-06-2006, 06:19 AM
neil pearts drum kit cost 1 million $ no joke but keith moon bless his soul and john bonham bless his soul also were probably the two most solid drummers no one and i mean no one kept a beat like john bonham
His kit did not cost $1,000,000 butt fuck.

The only other band I can think of that no one has said with great drumming is the Buddy Rich Big Band, I think that's the name, but Buddy Rich is the drummer, so anything with him really.

igrindtwinkies
08-06-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't know much about drumming but I think the drummer from Hella is really good.

Fistful of Satan
08-06-2006, 10:31 AM
His kit did not cost $1,000,000 butt fuck.

The only other band I can think of that no one has said with great drumming is the Buddy Rich Big Band, I think that's the name, but Buddy Rich is the drummer, so anything with him really.
Fuck yeah! Buddys an insane drummer.

Also Steve Flynn from Gnostic is a solid drummer aswell.

bdc666666
08-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Tony Royster Junior Noobs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBi-66B8_yE)

When he was younger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4yuS1bJrw)

iplaydrums yes i know ive posted this before but no one seems to notice! and its amazing shiet

the simaese monster, the green monster, and another one are all huge.
Drema theater is truely amazing.
Dream theather does own (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm49PFQ0stw)

the_unknown_soldier
08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
neil peart from rush
THANK YOU!

Snake
08-06-2006, 12:13 PM
allman brothers have some damn sick percussion sections especially live
Yeah, Butch and Jamoie are like one beat when they perform, its amazing.

dannyboy411
08-06-2006, 02:45 PM
rush, MCS, from first to last, and miles davis

CANADIAN Skater ah!
08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
neil pert- rush

jonnyflip122
08-06-2006, 03:00 PM
in the black album by metallica, no matter how low you put the volume, the drums are always loud

indy
08-06-2006, 03:36 PM
van halen, and why the frik am i not respected any more

dead disco
08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
The guy from Malevolent Creation's pretty damn intense.

I miss rasa libres
08-07-2006, 07:44 AM
chad smith- Red hot chili peppers

Kolzig
08-08-2006, 02:03 AM
wow the music industry is really bad when someone says tre cool is an outstanding drummer. heres a list of some good drummers to check out

neil pert from rush
nicko mcbrain from iron maiden(4th album on)
topper headon from the clash(mainly on london calling)
shannon leto from 30 seconds to mars
keith moon from the who
bill ward from black sabbath
dave weckyl from dave weckyl band(kind of like fusion jazz its interesting)

minilogoskickrock69
08-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I know alot of people aren't into Nick Mason but he really is a good drummer. espeacially on The Wall. Led Zeppelin's drummer is insane to. I think his name is john his last names like bo something.

leavemealone
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
NEIL PERT- rush
travis barker-blink 182
tre cool-green day
Joey Joridson-Slipknot
tony royster
mike portnoy

can think of any more

kandy_cid
08-08-2006, 01:50 PM
system of a down-toxicity