PDA

View Full Version : 70's punk scene. uk vs us

skatrr
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
although the ramones were credited with the first punk band, they were one of the first, not the first. they were band that created an explosion with the genre, influencing many other bands. the sex pistols followed.
ANYWAYS

Which do you prefer to listen to? Punk for the US or the UK.

edit (70's - 80's punk)

HabitatSkater
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
The Exploited
UK Subs
Total Chaos
stuff like that

GetWrecked77
07-25-2006, 10:42 AM
i like US stuff way more.

skatrr
07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I like US a lot more, but there are a few UK bands i really love to listen to

GetWrecked77
07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
download the Bags song "We Don't Need The English" kickass KBD stlye stuff.

edit: if you can find it

dutch madman
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
dutch punk above all for me, but if i had to choose, it's UK punk

GetWrecked77
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
i haven't heard any dutch punk (that i can think of off the top) and i don't really listen to much uk bands. Ice and The Iced are one of my favorite classic punk bands, but they were from Italy.

timorousme
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
although the ramones were credited with the first punk band, they were one of the first, not the first.

The Ramones weren't punk, and they weren't the first because they were before the first. Who do you think is the first?

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
The Ramones weren't punk, and they weren't the first because they were before the first. Who do you think is the first?

You're joking, right? I agree that they were not the first punk band, but they still were punk..

I don't know who to go with. Because Who had a huge influence on it, and I enjoy The Clash alot.
But on the other hand I love The Misfits and Iggy Pop.

timorousme
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
You're joking, right? I agree that they were not the first punk band, but they still were punk..

I don't know who to go with. Because Who had a huge influence on it, and I enjoy The Clash alot.
But on the other hand I love The Misfits and Iggy Pop.

The Who were the first mod band, which was completely anti-punk during it's origin, but I can see how they still influenced it.

And the Ramones weren't punk. I still stand by that.

dutch madman
07-25-2006, 02:28 PM
i haven't heard any dutch punk (that i can think of off the top) and i don't really listen to much uk bands. Ice and The Iced are one of my favorite classic punk bands, but they were from Italy.

for dutch punk, here are some songs if you're interested(sung in the english language):

suzannes - teenage abortion
mollesters - plastic
the brommers - miracles

skatrr
07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
And the Ramones weren't punk. I still stand by that
why do you say that. what's something that supports this theory

Klausfloride
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
why do you say that. what's something that supports this theory
i don't ever recall the ramones proclaiming themselves as "punk". They were abarasive three chord rock and roll, kindof like garage.

BLacklabel/\
07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Didnt the punk scene start in the UK...anyway i dont want to say any bands cause everyone will say " There not punk!!!".....:-\

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-25-2006, 04:08 PM
i don't ever recall the ramones proclaiming themselves as "punk". They were abarasive three chord rock and roll, kindof like garage.

So because they didnt call themselves Punk, they weren't punk? As a pose to many bands calling themselves punk but really arent.
3 chord rock n roll was the idea behind it.
Punk started as a way to try and take rock n roll back from it turning into another way for people to control and make themselves richer, it was basically anger and rebelion against major labels as well as authority and politics, now its for whatever reason there is.
Punk wasn't even a genre until the Sex Pistols came out and people started calling them(and other bands with the same idea) punks. Before the term "punk" came into play, it was still considered "Rock n roll".

skatrr
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Not true.
No one considered themselves "PUNK" at first.
Somebody wanted to make a magazine about this genre of music and had no idea what to call it, so they thought PUNK.
Most of the bands during this time did not want to be called "a punk" but that was the name of the genre.
Being "punk" in the 70's was having a "rebellious fuck you" attitude. And The Ramones, Television, Sex Pistols any other band that was credited as the first or one of the first were rebellious.

Punk started in New York. They wanted to create a new type of rock their parents listened to, such as Elvis Presly. Thus, "garage" music was created.

EDIT: The Ramoens came before The Sex Pistols. Sid Vicious admitted himself, he learned to play the bass guitar watching the Ramones play.

timorousme
07-25-2006, 05:28 PM
So because they didnt call themselves Punk, they weren't punk? As a pose to many bands calling themselves punk but really arent.
3 chord rock n roll was the idea behind it.
Punk started as a way to try and take rock n roll back from it turning into another way for people to control and make themselves richer, it was basically anger and rebelion against major labels as well as authority and politics, now its for whatever reason there is.
Punk wasn't even a genre until the Sex Pistols came out and people started calling them(and other bands with the same idea) punks. Before the term "punk" came into play, it was still considered "Rock n roll".

No, The Ramones played three chord rock and roll because that's all they could play. I love the Ramones, but they weren't punk, they were just a really really bad rock and roll band. Hence why even after punk was an established genre The Ramones starred in a movie... And what was it called? Oh yea, Rock and Roll High School. They never did it for anti-establishment or rebellion. They did it because that's how they played.

Actually, the term "punk" came into play to describe a lot of garage rock bands a good decade before the Sex Pistols existed. The first band to be called "punk rock" was ? & the Mysterians in the 60's. So I guess if you want to call The Ramones punk, you'd have to also consider this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=t-c4jaoBTRw&search=%3F%20%26%20the%20Mysterians) to be punk.

GetWrecked77
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
So I guess if you want to call The Ramones punk, you'd have to also consider this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=t-c4jaoBTRw&search=%3F%20%26%20the%20Mysterians) to be punk.

i bet a bunch of people would consider them something like proto-punk. or a heavy influence at least.

Klausfloride
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
i bet a bunch of people would consider them something like proto-punk. or a heavy influence at least.
thier garage man

skatrr
07-26-2006, 01:54 AM
please watch a documentary that's shown on IFC called "Punk: Attitude"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000993W9S/002-9462784-9292829?v=glance&n=130

timorousme
07-26-2006, 01:59 AM
You mean the one where Tommy Ramone states "We weren't punk. We never wanted to be punk."

And when all of the old punks talked about how horrible the Ramones were and how much they hated them.

Oh, and when they talked about how fast the Ramones played and when asked thay said that that's just how they know how to play?

That movie?

tryintogrowchin
07-26-2006, 08:42 AM
you just got served

skatrr
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
No one considered themselves "PUNK" at first.
Somebody wanted to make a magazine about this genre of music and had no idea what to call it, so they thought PUNK.
Most of the bands during this time did not want to be called "a punk" but that was the name of the genre.
Being "punk" in the 70's was having a "rebellious fuck you" attitude.

hmm

blunt fakie
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Rolling Stone magazine described The Ramones as a punk band for the first time ever. Thats the whole story behind it.

notaskateaholic
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
It all started in the UK, and all the good bands came from the UK, here in the us, were just posers.

givehugsnotdrugs
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
For the 70's, uk.

From the 80's till now, US by far.

GetWrecked77
07-26-2006, 11:15 AM
It all started in the UK, and all the good bands came from the UK, here in the us, were just posers.

pffft, Austin had one of the best scenes in the early 80's. how can you say that?

GetWrecked77
07-26-2006, 11:16 AM
thier garage man

i know, but i meant that some people would consider them one of the influencing bands like MC5 or the Doors.

skatrr
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
punk was first started in new york, and it influenced people in the uk.
however, they were more extreme about it then people in the usa was

BLacklabel/\
07-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Aren't the Sex Pistols punk? Because it seems when anybody says they are, somebody goes on a rant about how they suck. But true, they are the most overhyped punk bands in history but i still love listing to NeverMind the Bollocks. So are they punks or just a bunch of Grimy British Bastards?

ToxicSkater
07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Idk, thats a hard question but I'd have to say UK punk is better.

skatrr
07-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Aren't the Sex Pistols punk? Because it seems when anybody says they are, somebody goes on a rant about how they suck. But true, they are the most overhyped punk bands in history but i still love listing to NeverMind the Bollocks. So are they punks or just a bunch of Grimy British Bastards?
yeah they're punk. a bunch of people will say they're the first, but like i said previously, sid vicious learned to play the bass guitar watching the ramones play.

BLacklabel/\
07-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I love thier song "Bodies" its about abortion

walker
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I'd have to say US punk.

Punk-Rocker
07-27-2006, 01:17 AM
For the 70's, uk.

From the 80's till now, US by far.

yup same

2dwizard
07-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Well, alot of 70-80's Punk sounds different than todays, as in better. I will kick back with some Joy Division though, so def 70's UK.

Renegade of Funk
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
i dont really like any of the 77 type of punk, so i would have to say the US cus of the mad hardcore days of the 80s, however, i would want to live in england for a little while so i could see conflict, crass, icons of filth, and discharge.

heywhatsup
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
dead kennedys are good for the us.. iono bout hte ramones not being punk, but i think the better punk bands came from uk

pj_rules
07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
yeah they're punk. a bunch of people will say they're the first, but like i said previously, sid vicious learned to play the bass guitar watching the ramones play.
Yeah they werent the first,,they just popularised it.

headfullofzombie3
07-28-2006, 10:03 AM
i'd probably say uk. is gray matter from the uk?

skatrr
07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Naw, they formed in Washington DC, USA.

Skaterdude
07-29-2006, 03:21 PM
http://www.janettebeckman.com/info/history/assets/full/sexpistols.jpg

I wub the Sex Pistols

shutupimbleeding
07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Definetely the uk.

godblessemerica
07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
the clash are my favorite band, so uk.

_foundation_man__
07-29-2006, 08:50 PM
i like iggy pop and the stooges and i also like me some sex pistols.

BLacklabel/\
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
http://www.janettebeckman.com/info/history/assets/full/sexpistols.jpg

I wub the Sex Pistols

Me to man, i hate people who rip on them. Sure Sid only played on 2 songs on thier album but to me they were the best songs. (Bodies,Holiday in The Sun)

Punk-Rocker
07-30-2006, 12:52 AM
All though i really like the sex pistols, sid was a shit bass player, but i will agree with you, Bodies and holaday in the sun, are great songs.

HabitatSkater
07-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Me to man, i hate people who rip on them. Sure Sid only played on 2 songs on thier album but to me they were the best songs. (Bodies,Holiday in The Sun)
I hate the way Sid was chosen to play in the band.

Tomk911
07-30-2006, 04:42 PM
The misfits and Black Flag So I'd say us...Lol the only punk band from the uk I've heard is the sex pistols...Go ahead call me a poser but the sex pistols are good

Tomk911
07-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I hate the way Sid was chosen to play in the band.
Yea all he had was ego he couldnt play bass for shit...He used to be a good drummer I heard.

skatrr
07-31-2006, 12:49 AM
the whole band was put together, and they were told what to do and what to wear. it was a shit-job to begin with, but amazingly their record got a lot of good hits 'specially anarchy in the uk