PDA

View Full Version : Rap or Reggae

Nesta.
07-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Which do you like better and why. Then post some of your favorite artists in the genre. I personally like them both about the same and I like all the Marley's for reggae and NWA and nas for rap.

Oh, and don't say neither or anything because If you don't like the type of music it says in the thread title, don't post.

paradoxoly ironical
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
i like reggae better. my favorite is peter tosh.

i like extremely little rap. not even the stuff people here like, like immortal technique. as far as im concerned. theres no difference between him and other mainstream rappers. fuck immortal technique. i even can barley stand wu tang clan and their shitty psuedo intellectual wanna be lyrics.

skatrr
07-25-2006, 10:17 AM
i enjoy reggae more

blindskateboarder
07-25-2006, 10:17 AM
reggae has cool guitar

LakewoodOG
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
i prefer rap but i like raggae also for rap pretty much anything good (not rick ross and fake shit like that) for raggae stuff like sean paul, damian marley.

rock-adio
07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
I listen to more rap but reggae isent bad. I like hip-hop better then both though.

Century Child
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Rap

Eazy-E, NWA, Ice-T, 2 Pac, Biggie, Big Pun, DMX, need I go on?

SkateorElse
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
NWA and Eazy-E, I like alot more rap, but I'm not going to list it. And Bob marley is pretty good ( that sounds so cliché)

yo21192
07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
I like reggae more. Check out the aggrolites.

www.myspace.com/theaggrolites

jpharaoh69
07-25-2006, 04:49 PM
reggae becasue its got some ska elements.

shutupimbleeding
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh god,not ska again.

yo21192
07-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Without ska there would be no reggae, so be more appreciative of this genre.

blunt fakie
07-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Without ska there would be no reggae, so be more appreciative of this genre.

Other way round mate.

Also Reggae doesn't have ska elements, ska has Reggae elements.

The Aggrolites are awesome by the way.

Century Child
07-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Other way round mate.

Yeah Reggae has been around longer then ska has.

bc1718
07-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Is matisyahu reggae? I like them, or atleast a few of their songs.

paradoxoly ironical
07-26-2006, 08:16 AM
matisyahu has reggae elements, but he suger coated his music for mass appeal. i pity the idiot that said ska influenced reggae.

blunt fakie
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
matisyahu has reggae elements, but he suger coated his music for mass appeal. i pity the idiot that said ska influenced reggae.

I pity people who have to see you on a daily basis, I mean you have a face only a mother could love.

yo21192
07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
No dumbshit. Trad ska from the 60's came before reggae. The skatalites were the first ska band. Bob marley used to sing vocals for them.
It goes ska-rocksteady-reggae.
Trust me. If thats not enough.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/lvisser/skahistory.html
Read the section Rocksteady to reggae.

PS - Matisyahu is a gimmic.

yo21192
07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Other way round mate.

Read my other post. The skatalites ( traditional SKA band) came before any reggae.

yo21192
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah Reggae has been around longer then ska has.
And The mighty mighty bosstones are the first ska band (SARCASM)

jpharaoh69
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
No dumbshit. Trad ska from the 60's came before reggae. The skatalites were the first ska band. Bob marley used to sing vocals for them.
It goes ska-rocksteady-reggae.
Trust me. If thats not enough.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/lvisser/skahistory.html
Read the section Rocksteady to reggae.

i wish i could rep you.

yo21192
07-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Thank you.

RideAK
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Rap

lol are u serious? Rap is fuckin gay... oh im a gangsta ive been shot 50 times... i hate white people... ****** this and ****** that... pop a cap sun.... imma go bang a chick now... i think im tight and im really a fuckin looser...

Dude Rocker T, Bob marley all own the shit out of any rapper

once again let me say this: FUCK RAP

YourMom
07-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I prefer Rap actually. I think Reggae is lame, but then again I've never set aside time to really listen to it. Whatever...

But when I was growing up I always loved 2Pac, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Warren G etc. etc. They're still great and I listen to them occasionally. Nowadays I like Necro, Pumpkinhead, Jedi Mind Tricks and other such artists big in the underground scene

Cazstyles
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Reggae. Jahh Munn.
Reggae ius influencde my american swing and blues, it came out in 40s/50s. ska did start with the skatalites, eventually expanding into 2tone ska like madness, followed by the ska we know and love today. i love reggae as much as ska though.
and btw, ska is pretty much reggae, it only became the punky image in the late 80's.

yo21192
07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Reggae. Jahh Munn.
Reggae ius influencde my american swing and blues, it came out in 40s/50s. ska did start with the skatalites, eventually expanding into 2tone ska like madness, followed by the ska we know and love today. i love reggae as much as ska though.
and btw, ska is pretty much reggae, it only became the punky image in the late 80's.
There are great neo-trad bands like go jimmy go, westbound train, the slackers, and a shitload other who don't get the recognition they deserve because of the popularity of skapunk, skacore and skemo.

flip1607
07-27-2006, 07:46 AM
i hate both, but there are some cool reggae songs

Rubber_band_man
07-27-2006, 07:55 AM
i doubt most people on this board know like real reggae, one person posted sean paul (what the fuck?), reggae isnt like mainstream shit so most people on this board wont know it. not saying that no one will but it seems like the people in this thread might not know as much reggae as they think they do.

yo21192
07-27-2006, 08:14 AM
i doubt most people on this board know like real reggae, one person posted sean paul (what the fuck?), reggae isnt like mainstream shit so most people on this board wont know it. not saying that no one will but it seems like the people in this thread might not know as much reggae as they think they do.
I agree. People are mixing up reggae with reggaeton and dancehall. Not all music with a Jamican sound is reggae. There is dub, ska, rocksteady, and whole bunch of other shit.

Sk8 Man
07-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Rap

I love your taste in rap Valo. I listen to more rap, never listened to much reggae besides Bob Marley. And I would pick the same exact thing as Valo's list, but add Bone Thugs N Harmony, Immortal Technique and Krazie Bones (old stuff)

Nesta.
07-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Exactly.

blunt fakie
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
There are great neo-trad bands like go jimmy go, westbound train, the slackers, and a shitload other who don't get the recognition they deserve because of the popularity of skapunk, skacore and skemo.

Awesome, I listen to them.

Thanks for the link by the way I've been thinking reggae started it all and ska came way after, but I guess I was thinking of drum and bass and rudeboys for some obscure reason.

(Drum and bass is awesome as well)

BLacklabel/\
07-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Reggae for me

Roboman
07-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Rap sort of originated from reggae though didn't it? The jamaicans used to call it "toasting", they'd pretty much freestyle over dancehall tracks.

igrindtwinkies
07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I like Rap more. The only reggae I listen to is Bob Marley and if you consider Sublime reggae.

woop tang
07-28-2006, 07:33 PM
lol are u serious? Rap is fuckin gay... oh im a gangsta ive been shot 50 times... i hate white people... ****** this and ****** that... pop a cap sun.... imma go bang a chick now... i think im tight and im really a fuckin looser...

shut up. not all rap is about gangster shit. listen to some of the older shit. yeah some rappers are cunts (50cent). but still a lot of them have a good sound and everything.

p.s. when you put fuck rap in cap letters you make yourself look like an ass.

oh yeah and who ever put sean paul is an idiot.

-=MuTT=-
07-28-2006, 07:42 PM

you're an idiot

lIghtRz_STArT_fiRES
07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
rap is great but reggae is better. one great reggae band besides sublime is bedoin soundclash.

Rock_Rocks77
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
reggae is gay

volcom_skate69
07-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I love both kinds of music. There are alot of underground artists from both genres that have amazing talent and lyric writing skills. I like reggae, rap and older rock because the artists put more time into creating meaningful and moving lyrics insted of sticking the same catch phrases on a new "dope beat" and re-releasing it. I like reggae better than rap for the most part because of the messages in it are more positive but many rappers also have great minds. Like nas or other poetic rappers.

theantihero
07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
raggae to the max

Cazstyles
07-31-2006, 04:36 AM
most people here prob think reggae is sean paul, and if people knew little of reggae all they would say is bob marley. not saying that he was bad.

Roboman
07-31-2006, 05:07 AM
Anyone heard of Matisyahu? Thats the newest reggaesque music I've been digging recently.

Following on from the one and only Skindred. Such a strange yet cool band they are. The track on NFSU2 wasnt their best, others a way better.

black_world_skater
07-31-2006, 05:10 AM
I cant really judge.I haven't listened to enough reggae.