PDA

View Full Version : Death Metal \m/

damo
07-17-2006, 11:52 PM
I reckon death metal is easily the most technically amazing genre of music. Typified by insanely fast drumming and wrist-breaking riffs, blistering atonal solos and heavy as hell singing, it has, over the past year or so become my favourite genre. Any thoughts?

Top 10 favourite bands:
Vader
Opeth
Dismember
Sepultura
Quo Vadis
Carcass
Pathogen
Psycroptic
Cryptosy
Decapitated

edit: dont post if you're gonna talk about black metal. if u are, start another thread! :p

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Opeth is NOT death metal.
Dismember isn't death metal, its thrash at the least.
Sepultura is not death metal, they are hardcore/thrash.
Carcass is more grindcore than death metal.

If you are looking for kickass death metal I'd suggest Cannibal Corpse, Angel Corpse, Morbid Angel, Sadus, Dying Fetus, Deicide, Six Feet Under, Nile..

damo
07-18-2006, 01:00 AM
i KNEW someone would dispute the small details, such as fuckin sub-genres. jeez, why is it that people always have to disagree for the sake of it...

first, i listed my *fave* top ten, not the only bands i listen to. in fact ive got the discographies of all the bands u listed, except dying fetus.
second, i forgot to include in the first post that im talking about all the variations of death metal. this includes tech death metal (nihility-era decapitated), progressive death (opeth and pathogen), death/thrash (sepultura, dismember), deathgrind (early carcass), and melodic death (late carcass).

so now thats HOPEFULLY out of the way, feel free to comment, add bands you listen to, etc

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Dude, Opeth is in no way connected to death metal, they are closer to black metal than death metal. It's metal/progressive.

I wouldn't call my arguements "minor detail", my arguement was that your were calling bands death metal that wern't exactly death metal.

If you are going to make a thread about "death metal", make it about true death metal, not all this fuckin "melodic death/progressive death", and if you are going to make a topic relating to those genres too, make sure you mention it.

Thats like me making a thread about heavy metal and then mentioning Slayer because they evolved from it.

Valo Negroth
07-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Its about time a thread with Valo written all over it!
My top 10 bands

1. Six Feet Under
2. Torture Killer
3. Cannibal Corpse
4. Hammer Slaughtered Cunt
5. Blood Ritual
6. Hate Eternal
7. Demigod
8. Gutted
9. Molested
10. Num Skull

theres more, but thats the top 10

And to the thread starter listen to rage.

Fistful of Satan
07-18-2006, 07:56 AM
hey damo if your looking for progressive death check out edge of sanity.

my top ten death bands:
Vader
Angel Corpse
Dethroned
Aeon
Dying Fetus(death/grind)
Gnostic
Incapacity
Bloodbath
Death
Atheist/Kataklysm(OLD)

Valo Negroth
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
If you guys haven't heard of Blood Ritual I think you'll like them.

Blood Ritual- This Dead Hand
Blood Ritual- UR Song

Marevix
07-18-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm not very deep into the death metal genre yet, but I like Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Death (if you'd call that death metal), and Morbid Angel.

indy
07-18-2006, 10:38 AM
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!

enjoyskating
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
i dont like death metal

its realy basic music just played fast and it all sounds the same

Valo Negroth
07-18-2006, 10:50 AM
i dont like death metal

no it doesn't sound the same.

Six Feet Under- Deathlakk
Six Feet Under- 13

same band, same cd (13 go buy it NOW) but sounds different.

BLacklabel/\
07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
yeh i like Dark Funeral and stuff but i really hate alot of it

Valo Negroth
07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
yeh i like Dark Funeral and stuff but i really hate alot of it

Their black metal

BLacklabel/\
07-18-2006, 12:14 PM
oh well then, i like Vader

usuckhugeonez
07-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Deicide.

indy
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!

Valo Negroth
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Deicide.

People say that they are death metal because of the vocals, but I look more at the lyric content, cause if Deicide is death metal, then some of the early Napalm Death stuff (When Mark "Barney" Greenway, joined the band)

but hey I don't make the rules. But they are like the younger version of Slayer.

and indy

IM DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!

if you don't like death metal why post in a thread about it?

Fistful of Satan
07-18-2006, 01:07 PM
i dont like death metal

actually Quite abit of death metal is very technical and difficult to play.

and indy, no one cares what you have to say.

James_ns
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
i like children of botem thats pretty much it

YourMom
07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
OK, a few things that should be cleared up.

Opeth, like RATTM said, aren't Death Metal. They're a Progressive Metal band, with a lot of extreme Metal tendencies. Their music might resemble Death Metal or Black Metal at times, but they should never be considered part of those genres.

Dismember is Death/Thrash, with the Death Metal side of them outweighing the Thrash just slightly I think... usually most people don't mind bringing them up in DM discussions.

Carcass played Grind for the most part, but from their album "Heartwork" to their album "Swanson" they were a somewhat melodic form of Death Metal. "Carnal Forge" is one of the best songs in all Death Metal IMO.

Sepultura didn't really have any DM elements as a Thrash band, unlike, say, Slaughter from Canada (killer band BTW). They should hardly ever be brought up. And from what I've heard, after Max left, they turned Nu-metal. Hah.

Death, one of the originators of the genre, didn't stay too Death Metal for long. As he progressively became more and more, uhh, Progressive, he started to lose his Death Metal touch.

Nowadays Children of Bodom don't have much to do with Death Metal either.

There have been really great bands mentioned so far though. I'd say that's a pretty nice list there Fistful! I think I'll get into Gnostic and Bloodbath soon; they sound promising. Some of my favorites would be: (early) Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation (US), Liers In Wait, Profanity (Ger), Merlin (Rus), Vader, Necrophagist, Jack Slater, Nunslaughter and Pyorrhoea. OK so maybe I don't know how to count.

Valo, have you heard of Nunslaughter yet? They can get somewhat silly with some their Satanic themes, but nonetheless the music is grade A. Their album "Goat" is good, probably to your liking.

ZeroSkater1235
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
my favorite death metal band is angel corpse

indy
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
i hate death metal

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-18-2006, 04:21 PM
i hate death metal

Thats because you are a 12 year old who listens to metallica.

iplaydrums
07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
i hate death metal
Don't worry, everyone hates you too!

Marevix
07-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Someday, death metal will be taken to the moon. I guarantee it.

iplaydrums
07-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Someday, death metal will be taken to the moon. I guarantee it.
Is that in a good way or a bad way?

Ynot
07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
i'm not that too familiar with death metal. could anyone recommend some cds i could listen to?

damo
07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Sepultura didn't really have any DM elements as a Thrash band, unlike, say, Slaughter from Canada (killer band BTW). They should hardly ever be brought up. And from what I've heard, after Max left, they turned Nu-metal.

I was talking about early sepultura, morbid visions/bestial devestation to arise era. I mean with a logo like this http://web30.kunde.xc-host.ch/interviews/int_Sepultura_Logo.gif it's kinda obvious they were trying to be a death metal band, they just incorparated more thrash into their music. Their early lyrics were rooted in death metal, and max's voice is rough enough for me to classify it as a death/thrash hybrid, as do most people i know. but i guess it is, after all a matter of opinion like most things...

Valo Negroth
07-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Valo, have you heard of Nunslaughter yet? They can get somewhat silly with some their Satanic themes, but nonetheless the music is grade A. Their album "Goat" is good, probably to your liking.

No I haven't heard of them, where are they from? The store I get my cds have mostly forgien bands......thats how I heard of this German Death Metal band, but sadly they aren't a band anymore since half the band died in a car crash in 93.

But Im going to check to see if I could track down that cd, if all else fails special order it.

Valo Negroth
07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
i'm not that too familiar with death metal. could anyone recommend some cds i could listen to?

Cannibal Corpse- Tomb of the Mutilated (the holy grail of DM)

gnat poo
07-19-2006, 06:14 AM
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!

HEY! SHUT THE FUCK UP! I DONT LIKE DEATH METAL BUT IM NOT POSTING IN THIS THREAD ABOUT HOW MUCH I DONT LIKE IT!

Fistful of Satan
07-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Amon Amarth-Fate of Norns
Kataklysm-Sorcery
Dying fetus-Killing on Adrenaline
Suffocation-Souls to Deny

these are kick ass and sould be easy to find.

Valo Negroth
07-19-2006, 08:45 AM
oh and Cannibal Corpse- The Wrechted Spawn its easy to find too, since it came out in 2005, its better then Kill. On Kill you can't hear the bass at all unlike in the song "They Deserve to Die"

Century Child
07-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Another death metal band (underground, yet close to me)

http://www.myspace.com/hammerslaughteredcunt

YourMom
07-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Nunslaughter is a born and bred United States Death Metal band. They've been pretty well known in the underground for quite some time. I have never seen their CDs offered at stores though. You'll probably have to order them online. But they're worth it. Much of their material is pretty short and to the point. No songs on that album even break 3 minutes. Sometimes you wish they were longer. Certainly solid and evil-sounding DM at its finest.

YourMom
07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
If you want to get into Death Metal Ynot, it'd probably do you good to get two of the most influencial albums of the genre:
Kreator - Pleasure To Kill
Possessed - Seven Churches

For actual Death Metal albums:
Behemoth - Demigod*
Carcass - Heartwork
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Death - Scream Bloody Gore
Deicide - Legion
Exhumed - Gore Metal
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Hate Eternal - King Of All Kings*
Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked*
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
Vader - Art Of War [EP]*

A lot of those are 90's classics... the * denotes stuff that's more recent. You should be able to locate those albums at stores like FYE or Sam Goody depending on how big your city is.

Fistful of Satan
07-19-2006, 02:52 PM
oh another great death metal band is monstrosity, if you like cannibal corpse then you should dig there stuff. actully corpsegrinder(C.C vocalist) did vocals for them in there first two albums. www.myspace.com/monstrosity1

yo21192
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
i hate death metal
you listen to the offspring giving you no useful opinion.

BLacklabel/\
07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
I dont HAte death metal per day but i just cant really get into when its just disfunctional sounding. I know thier are some bands that pull it off. But i have yet to hear that many that i can tolerate listing to.

raggy boy
07-20-2006, 02:10 AM
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!

Screw you twat. Nobody cares about your shit music.

I don't like this kind of metal because they actually take themselves seriously.

Century Child
07-20-2006, 05:45 AM
Screw you twat. Nobody cares about your shit music.

I don't like this kind of metal because they actually take themselves seriously.

Well if they are a serious band, they have to take the music and everything that somes with it serious. If they just do it to fuck around they won't last long in the biz.

superminds
07-20-2006, 06:45 AM
A friend of my cousin plays the drums in a death metal band and he's really good.

FinnishFire
07-20-2006, 06:49 AM
I love Vader thier awesome. I havent heard to much of Cannible Corpse they sound good, i have to check them out.

Century Child
07-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I love Vader thier awesome. I havent heard to much of Cannible Corpse they sound good, i have to check them out.

the bleeding and before were the best...

Best of the Barnes era
Cannibal Corpse- Meathook Sodomy
Cannibal Corpse- I Cum Blood
Cannibal Corpse- Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt
Cannibal Corpse- Hammer Smashed Face
Cannibal Corpse- Covered With Sores

Corpsegrinder era
Cannibal Corpse- Dispoal of the Body
Cannibal Corpse- Vermin
Cannibal Corpse- Unleashing the Bloodthristy
Cannibal Corpse- Pounded into Dust
Cannibal Corpse- Gallery of Suicide

iplaydrums
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Another death metal band (underground, yet close to me)

http://www.myspace.com/hammerslaughteredcunt
We all know about them, you mention their name in every thread.

Century Child
07-20-2006, 10:37 AM
We all know about them, you mention their name in every thread.

a lot more know about them factoring yesterday. And the site I gave links to people the music didn't work, but that one does, so now you can finally listen to the songs.

Thats the only reason I posted it, if everyone heard the songs, there would be no need to post it again.

Sk8 hard,sk8 fast
07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Wtf Is The Difference Between Death And Black?

Century Child
07-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Wtf Is The Difference Between Death And Black?

listen to these bands and you'll know

Cannibal Corpse- Hammer Smashed Face

Darkthrone- Unholy Black Metal

___I_<3_( . )( . )___
07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't know the genres very well, but I love Drop Dead, Gorgeous. If that has anything to do with this.

mkcrank mulisha
07-20-2006, 05:17 PM
I reckon death metal is easily the most technically amazing genre of music. Typified by insanely fast drumming and wrist-breaking riffs, blistering atonal solos and heavy as hell singing, it has, over the past year or so become my favourite genre. Any thoughts?

Top 10 favourite bands:
Vader
Opeth
Dismember
Sepultura
Quo Vadis
Carcass
Pathogen
Psycroptic
Cryptosy
Decapitated

edit: dont post if you're gonna talk about black metal. if u are, start another thread! :p
sepultura is thrash. if you disagree shut up and read some of their lyrics

Fistful of Satan
07-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Top 10 favourite bands:
Vader
Opeth
Dismember
Sepultura
Quo Vadis
Carcass
Pathogen
Psycroptic
Cryptosy
Decapitated

dismember is awsome, my favorite album is indecent and obscent. also you sould chech out slaughter and entombed if you havent allready.

y0gurt
07-20-2006, 06:00 PM
DOWN WITH DEATH METAL!!!
Are you trying to be a cunt?

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-20-2006, 06:18 PM
sepultura is thrash. if you disagree shut up and read some of their lyrics

Lyrics can't define the genre of music. Look at slayer, all their lyrics fit the death metal genre, but they are thrash.

PoolShark
07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
im not a big fan of death but morbid angel has some cool songs and this progressive death metal band from san francisco called animosity are really good

PoolShark
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
im not a big fan of death but morbid angel has some cool songs and this progressive death metal band from san francisco called animosity are really good

ZeroSkater1235
07-21-2006, 05:17 AM
hey did anyone know that the members of cannibal corpse are married have kids and go to church i thought that was kind of funny

Century Child
07-21-2006, 06:26 AM
yeah and? whats so funny about it? You cant be a band talking about murder and go to church. Its not like they have songs like "Fuck Your God", "Go Now Your Lord is Dead". CC are just as normal as anyone, they don't paint their faces, wear leather, wear up-side down crosses or anything like that.

iplaydrums
07-21-2006, 08:48 AM
^They leave all that to Black Metal.

Century Child
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
yeah corpse paint

Darkthrone, Sigh, Burzum, Mayhem, Hellhammer, Absurd (Germany), Graven, etc. Norweign and Finnish black metal bands mostly...(some germen too)

(Valo Falcone)
07-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I found a cd of Nunslaughter $15 Im going back tomarrow after I cash my check and getting it! Fist told me so much about them, now my mouth started to water when I saw it, it better not be gone before I buy otherwise Im going to riot.

Fistful of Satan
07-28-2006, 01:13 PM
i didt tell you about nunslaughter YourMom did i think. anyway they seem pretty good, might pick up one of there albums if i find one. anyway did anyone hear of the band "infestdead" they were a killer band from sweden, very blasphemis but remain uncorny. you would probly like them Valo.

(Valo Falcone)
07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
oh yeah it was Yourmom that told me, I guess the 3 of us make the extreme metal circle, along with RATTM!.

Yeah they do seem killer, and infestdead, has some promise just from the name.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry not only for the double post but for also bumping this thread. BUT I just got a good death metal cd yesterday from Fleshgrind!

The vocals are so low I have a hard time understanding them WITH the lyrics sitting in front of me, you guys should check them out if your looking for a good death metal band, one of the weirdest.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
08-16-2006, 11:56 AM
CC are just as normal as anyone, they don't paint their faces, wear leather, wear up-side down crosses or anything like that.

Not completly true

http://www.cannibalcorpse.net/gallery/gallery/promo/cannibalcorpse_promo-12.jpg

http://www.cannibalcorpse.net/gallery/gallery/promo/cc18_gross.jpg

Dom
08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm really liking Hate Eternal, Nile, Cannibal Corpse (of course), Suffocation, Goatwhore, Skinless (Listen to Salvage What's Left, amazing song.), Behemoth, Monstrosity, etc.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Not completly true

http://www.cannibalcorpse.net/gallery/gallery/promo/cannibalcorpse_promo-12.jpg

http://www.cannibalcorpse.net/gallery/gallery/promo/cc18_gross.jpg

Well those are bands they like, really when they play they wear plain shirts or their own.

Klausfloride
08-16-2006, 12:15 PM
i don't really like much death metal, but like some things that are close. I like alot of grindcore stuff. The only real death metal band i like is Bolt Thrower, even though they sing about the consequences of war, not really about death in genrel like alot of death metal bands. I also like Repulsion with is grindcore with death elements.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
08-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Well those are bands they like, really when they play they wear plain shirts or their own.

True.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 12:34 PM
True.

But I did forget about Pat hes into Dark Funeral and Corpsegrinder is almost always wearing that shirt, in the box set they show him in it like 4 times.

Oh Klausfloride you should check out Pig Destoryer their grindcore listen to Junkyard God, they have good drums as the 30 second intro. And a grindcore must is Carcass' song "Heartwork" if you haven't heard them yet.

Klausfloride
08-16-2006, 12:38 PM
But I did forget about Pat hes into Dark Funeral and Corpsegrinder is almost always wearing that shirt, in the box set they show him in it like 4 times.

Oh Klausfloride you should check out Pig Destoryer their grindcore listen to Junkyard God, they have good drums as the 30 second intro. And a grindcore must is Carcass' song "Heartwork" if you haven't heard them yet.
i have pig destroyer's "prowler in the yard" and i can't get a hold of any carcass stuff.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 12:41 PM
i have pig destroyer's "prowler in the yard" and i can't get a hold of any carcass stuff.

Oh, I got that cd too, just got it yesterday. Do you know any cd stores that sell underground labes, or imported cds? There happen to be a ton of them here, I was thinking of getting an Immortal cd or Celtic Frost on this weekend. Or if all else fails Im sure a store I went to last week will still have that Vader cd.

Popwar Pill
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
I seriously hate sub genre's. To me it's all metal. It just adds confusion and hostility with all the sub shit.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I seriously hate sub genre's. To me it's all metal. It just adds confusion and hostility with all the sub shit.

I use sub genres if it all of it sounds real different to me. Punk, rock, emo, that sounds the same to me really, but metal brutally low growls- death metal, high horse/painful sounding vocals with way too much reverb-black metal. etc.

Popwar Pill
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I use sub genres if it all of it sounds real different to me. Punk, rock, emo, that sounds the same to me really, but metal brutally low growls- death metal, high horse/painful sounding vocals with way too much reverb-black metal. etc.

I understand the reasoning sometimes, but like different cd's of bands sound way different from their others and don't really fit into that sub genre anymore. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about I just can't think of a good example right now. So, it's hard to classify them when they change styles on different cd's.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I understand the reasoning sometimes, but like different cd's of bands sound way different from their others and don't really fit into that sub genre anymore. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about I just can't think of a good example right now. So, it's hard to classify them when they change styles on different cd's.

Yeah name 2 Slipknot and Cradle of Filth. Well when its like that I agree with your first post.

Among The Living
08-16-2006, 01:13 PM
who are your favorite death metal guitarists? mine are Trey Azagtoth and Chuck Schuldiner before he became all progressive.

(Valo Falcone)
08-16-2006, 01:17 PM
who are your favorite death metal guitarists? mine are Trey Azagtoth and Chuck Schuldiner before he became all progressive.

Shit there are a bunch really:

Steve Swanson (Six Feet Under)
Rob Barret (Cannibal Corpse)
Pat O'Brien (Cannibal Corpse)
Bill Steer (Carcass)

Klausfloride
08-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Oh, I got that cd too, just got it yesterday. Do you know any cd stores that sell underground labes, or imported cds? There happen to be a ton of them here, I was thinking of getting an Immortal cd or Celtic Frost on this weekend. Or if all else fails Im sure a store I went to last week will still have that Vader cd.
i don't know of any. i just download albums using bit torrent then print out the sleeve art and back art and put it into a jewel case.

Among The Living
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
I know it's not a guitar, but I've always thought Alex Webber was a god. Anyone agree?

Century Child
08-17-2006, 06:51 AM
i don't know of any. i just download albums using bit torrent then print out the sleeve art and back art and put it into a jewel case.

Yeah they are hard to find, but when I find one its normally like $18-20. All I have is choice Cuts and that took me a long time to track down. I need to find "Wake up and smell the..." cd and "Swansong". The 21 tracks on Choice Cuts always leave me wanting more new songs.