PDA

View Full Version : Scales and some good guitar stuff

mugg
07-16-2006, 09:02 PM
God, do I love scales.
I believe all beggining guitarists should start with scales, I wish I did. I've just started the minor and major pentatonic scales not too long ago, memorzied them, and they seem to help a lot. There are other good scales that have helped with my soloing, which is great.

Some good lessons about scales can be found here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/

Good soloing techniques and some good stuff here
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/soloing/

and here is the best of all lessons. This guy who wrote this is Steve Vai, an amazing guitarist. He came up with some good fingerworkouts and lessons which can be found here.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm

Hope to help some of you out, wether you been playing 2 months or 2 years this will help you loads.

spanky_dan
07-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah I am a frequent at UG, and I use their lessons a lot. But one thing I don't understand is how to read those scale structure things. They are on every website, where there is like numbers or dots on every fret. Can you please explain to me how they work?

drowning_fish
07-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Damn, that Steve Vai one looks nice... I'll learn it later... I'm on summer vacation and I can't play guitar until late August... Fuck.

mugg
07-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah I am a frequent at UG, and I use their lessons a lot. But one thing I don't understand is how to read those scale structure things. They are on every website, where there is like numbers or dots on every fret. Can you please explain to me how they work?

Yeah.

The dots are actually what you have to play. For example, you'll see 2 dots on every string on the minor pentatonic scale. The numbers represent the finger you use to play that note. Pretend the (1) are the frets and fingers you play:

Minor:
e|---|-(1)-|---|---|(4)|---| <------1st and 4th finger on 2nd and 5th frets
B|---|-(1)-|---|---|(4)|---| <------1st and 4th finger on 2nd and 5th frets
G|---|-(1)-|---|(3)|---|---| <------1st and 3rd finger on 2nd and 4th frets
D|---|-(1)-|---|(3)|---|---| <------1st and 3rd finger on 2nd and 4th frets
A|---|-(1)-|---|(3)|---|---| <------1st and 3rd finger on 2nd and 4th frets
E|---|-(1)-|---|---|(4)|---| <------1st and 4th finger on 2nd and 5th frets

In the regular ones one you see the bigger dots are the whole notes.
That actually took awhile to make, hope that helps sir.

drowning_fish
07-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I don't really like those cuz it's kinda hard to tell what order toplay the notes. Nice job though

mugg
07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I don't really like those cuz it's kinda hard to tell what order toplay the notes. Nice job though

yeah, I dislike them, but there everywhere so what ya gonna do.

If anyone has any questions on anything reading music or tab structers or anything ask me I'm open to help.

drowning_fish
07-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Haha yeah, I think because it's smaller... I have a poster with a ton of different scales... It's awesome

mugg
07-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Haha yeah, I think because it's smaller... I have a poster with a ton of different scales... It's awesome

I have to say that you have the best sig ever.

drowning_fish
07-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Haha, I've heard that so many times and it's only been like 2 days...

mugg
07-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Haha, I've heard that so many times and it's only been like 2 days...

who is that girl

drowning_fish
07-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Keeley Hazell... My fave haha

paradoxoly ironical
07-18-2006, 05:51 AM
i hate penatonic scales. im down with modes though. and i dont understand why you would need a poster with all the chords. if you know theory than you should be able to figure out the chord just by looking at the name.

bc1718
07-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Kind of off topic but here is a huge list of scales shown on a bass.

http://jguitar.com/scaledictionary.jsp?instrument=Bass&tuning=Bass+Standard

mugg
07-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Kind of off topic but here is a huge list of scales shown on a bass.

http://jguitar.com/scaledictionary.jsp?instrument=Bass&tuning=Bass+Standard

thats awesome man my nephew plays bass, I'll show that to him.

Marevix
07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't play guitar, I play keyboard, but what is the point of learning scales on any instrument? The only possible reasons I could think of were to help you remember what various notes/pitches sound like and to help with fingering.

raggy boy
07-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Scales are fun, I only just started learning them.

mugg
07-26-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't play guitar, I play keyboard, but what is the point of learning scales on any instrument? The only possible reasons I could think of were to help you remember what various notes/pitches sound like and to help with fingering.

really helps with soloing

paradoxoly ironical
07-26-2006, 12:22 PM
everything in music is based around scales. you cant write music without using a scale as a base. i could write a page about it but i dont have the time right now. maybe tommarrow.

mugg
07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
everything in music is based around scales. you cant write music without using a scale as a base. i could write a page about it but i dont have the time right now. maybe tommarrow.

I hate it when people say, "WTF? How would a scale help me?"

walker
07-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I hate it when people say, "WTF? How would a scale help me?"

Indeed.

but only if they know what scales do and they still don't do them.