PDA

View Full Version : learning to play guitar

Emerican skater
07-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I want to start playing guitar, I'm going to rent one first.
can anyone help me out and give me some tips one how to start playing, and what I should learn.

what type of guitar is good to start out with, I was thinking about renting a fender, but Im not really sure.

also do you have to know how to read musical notes in order to play the guitar

EmericaSktr51
07-16-2006, 05:48 PM
yah go with a fender.

get some lessons from your local music shop. thats what i did and i played for about 1 yr and it was pretty fun but it takes alot of practice and it does help to be able to read music before playing guitar.

ruckus.
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
It definitely helps to know the notes, but you'll do fine on tabs.
Ultimately the most important thing is practise, practise, practise.

BLacklabel/\
07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Alot of songs can be played just by having your index finger on the first string on a fret and you pinky on the the second string on a fret that is 2 places over from the index finger fret.

dan101
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/

UG rules. Take some lessons at your local shop and that'll do you good.

Klausfloride
07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
its called a power chord adn thats horrible advice, don't listen to him^^

but if you are new to muscial instruments lessons from a teacher are the best way to go. I aslo recommend using Mel Bays Guitar method volume 1-10. Mel has really good books and you learn everyhting. Its good to no skip over stuff becasue they seem broing or whatever, reading notation will help alot.

To sum it look for a teacher and use Mel Bays books.

dan101
07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
^that wasnt aimed at me right?

Klausfloride
07-16-2006, 06:05 PM
^that wasnt aimed at me right?
right, the one above you, Blacklabel^

BLacklabel/\
07-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh my friend taught me and thats all we ever do is do that. So i didnt know..:wacko:

hey 700th post!~

Emerican skater
07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
thanks to all of you guys, I would give you all rep but for some reason i'm not a respected member

drowning_fish
07-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, everyone listed pretty much what I was going to say but I'm gonna post here just for no reason... I'd say get a few teachers... I went through a couple until I finally found one I liked... Make sure he's like fun to be with like you'd be his friend. It helps loads if he listens to the same type of music too. Mine longboarded so that was really cool.

AlmostSk8er1
07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
u dont really need a teacher, u need dedication, i never had a teacher, but i practice three hours a day. what u should do is get an acoustic first, because its harder to press on the strings, so ur fingers will hate u, but u deveolp calluses much faster. so when the time comes for an electric guitar(mine was a squier, now i have an SG) it will be much easier to play for long periods of time. also, you have to remember that when you start. it will be the most frustrating time of your life, but you gotta keep going, until the point where you can sound out a song easy. thats when guitar becomes fun. for ur first electric get a squier by the way, it is a mock up of a fender, but its good for beginners. wait till u get better to get that fender.