PDA

View Full Version : 'punks not dead' Bahahahaha.

raggy boy
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I've seen countless badges and shirts that say this. What is you view on it.

I say it is dead because the yankies have taken punk from Britian and it has lost its routes. Wasn't it about empowerment originally, now look at it.

Anti-Hero
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
It didnt have to be British, sure the Clash Damned and Pistols were, but there were a good amount of American proto/punks, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, Ramones, MC5

Shaman's Blues
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
It didnt have to be British, sure the Clash Damned and Pistols were, but there were a good amount of American proto/punks, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, Ramones, MC5

Well said. You beat me to it.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-12-2006, 05:12 PM
It depends on how you look at it..

If you are talking about the big radio mtv music scene, hell yes it's dead..

But if you are talking about your local bands who are in their garage right now and don't give a fuck about the big time corperate lies, then it's alive.

Punk is not dead, it's just everywhere that everyone is not looking.

ispitfire
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
its pretty much dead. its still around a little but its not what it was originally about. most punk took a stand against the government and now you see all these scene bands who claim to be punk. but i still listen to some of the original punk

SoHereIAm
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know. I don't really care. I'll still listen to it.

skateboardkid
07-12-2006, 05:17 PM

But if you are talking about your local bands who are in their garage right now and don't give a fuck about the big time corperate lies, then it's alive.

exactly right, the bands like that that arent looking for fame but just trying to play music

skater<>Punk<>
07-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Old Greenday!!!

raggy boy
07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
no.

I have also seen the members of greenday stand there with make up around there eyes, and there was a message that said 'punk is not dead'.
I laughed.

SoHereIAm
07-12-2006, 06:35 PM
wouldn't punk be dead if people stopped listening to it? If there's no good new punk, I'll listen to old punk. So I guess, for me at least, punk isn't dead.

raggy boy
07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Well they stopped there old routes, I mean the 'punk bands' these days get sponsored by big brands to wear there products. That Barker guy from blink has his own DC shoes model.

GetWrecked77
07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
american punk owns british stuff. download the Bags song "We Don't Need The English".

punk's not dead, but it sure as hell ain't alive and kickin' either. there's a good handful of people/bands keeping it alive in the underground, but shit like the warped tour and all that shit on tv is killing it.

jamesoshea
07-13-2006, 12:11 AM
punk's still alive, it's just getting on a bit now

magic mushroom
07-13-2006, 12:31 AM
Well they stopped there old routes, I mean the 'punk bands' these days get sponsored by big brands to wear there products. That Barker guy from blink has his own DC shoes model.
if you'd heard this drum solo i have by him, you wouldn't say that barker guy from blink. from what i can tell it's a pretty good solo.

the_unknown_soldier
07-13-2006, 05:06 AM

couldn't have said it better myself.

Anti-Hero
07-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Punk is basically lying on the ground with nobody to help and completely wounded and damaged with blood spurting out of its aorta and a half crushed skull putting it in a complete vegetative state, yeah, its not dead.

givehugsnotdrugs
07-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Punk is right there as it always was. You guys are just to chickenshit to get in there and find it. Back in the day you couldn't just get on limewire and find a couple new songs from the latest bands. You couldn't run down to the store and get the latest punk band's cd's.

It's exactly the same now. I could go on and on about all the local bands here, and that's only because I felt like looking around.

Punk was never immediatley accessable. It hasn't changed.

GetWrecked77
07-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Punk is right there as it always was. You guys are just to chickenshit to get in there and find it. Back in the day you couldn't just get on limewire and find a couple new songs from the latest bands. You couldn't run down to the store and get the latest punk band's cd's.

It's exactly the same now. I could go on and on about all the local bands here, and that's only because I felt like looking around.

wordless agreement

raggy boy
07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
I don't listen to punk any way.

My main point is, I don't see actual punks wearing 'punks not dead' shirts... I see the MTV loving fags wearing them. Really, the closest thing to 'real punk' is these hardcore lovers which dress up like the old school punks once did.

Anti-Hero
07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Hmm, Start the Panic, The Scuff, Citizens, Homesick Abortions, that's like it for me

BAKAAA
07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2809377&MyToken=a5f31c5f-ff8d-4dad-83e8-77d855be2bdf

punk

BAKAAA
07-14-2006, 03:34 PM
theres good punk out there you just can't look in the mainstream for it. theres lots of underground bands.

dutch madman
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't listen to punk any way.

My main point is, I don't see actual punks wearing 'punks not dead' shirts... I see the MTV loving fags wearing them. Really, the closest thing to 'real punk' is these hardcore lovers which dress up like the old school punks once did.

but how do you know someone is punk? it's not just about looks, it's a lifestyle on it's own. and truth to be told, i wear a punk's not dead hoodie myself from time to time.

R1deKinK
07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
As long as people listen to it, it's not dead.

Klausfloride
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
If i see this argument again my head is gonna explode. This thread is useless beacause no one can agree on the maening of "dead". So their for an acurate discussion is impossible due to lack of consictancy in definitions.

GetWrecked77
07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=2809377&MyToken=a5f31c5f-ff8d-4dad-83e8-77d855be2bdf

punk

that gimme half song sounds cool.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
07-14-2006, 06:40 PM

punk

Fuckin WORD!

riskitforabiscuit
07-15-2006, 12:18 AM

You completely contradicted yourself in those two paragraphs.

Punk is dead in my opinion. The messages and whole concept of it is completely void these days. Back in the 70's is was radical and shocking way of protest, 'sticking it to the man' if you will. But these days people aren't shocked anymore, punk has become a very stale form of music. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy punk music but it is completely pointless now.

kLoNe653
07-15-2006, 09:19 AM
punk is still alive but some punk bands have become comercial punk bands 4 ex."greenday"

leavemealone
07-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Punk Is Not Dead!!!!!!!

riskitforabiscuit
07-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Uh, yeah it is.