PDA

View Full Version : i want to eventually record and splice instruments together to make songs

Punkatoo
05-29-2013, 10:00 PM
as in, recorded (line in) guitar and electronic drums. i wanted to write hip-hop instrumentals like doom, then find local artists to rap over them.

what programs/tools would i need for that?

Punkatoo
05-29-2013, 10:01 PM
and prices too, i don't know much and need the money for it, but i figure i should start somewhere.

Rev J
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
GarageBand comes standard on Mac. The low level Pro Tools which will also allow you to walk into any pro studio and run hardware that sounds much better than the modeled shit will run you about $400.

It all depends what system you're running .

Galmeister
05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Ya GarageBand is robin for you me old fruit

Punkatoo
05-30-2013, 12:13 AM
wait, so you just want to record instruments? Your wording is really confusing
record drums, which i guess would involve the right set of mics, and a program to take and process said recordings.

i'm assuming to record a guitar, i would need some sort of adapter so i can link it straight into the computer.

like live instrumentation that can be recorded quickly and cheaply without sounding like garbage. i want to be able to make the sounds, turn it into tracks, and then mix said tracks together. again, in the most cost effective way.

PlanB
05-30-2013, 02:48 AM
yeah mics are a lot better than line-in recording

you're gonna want a DAW, an audio interface, decent mic(s), and studio monitors for mixing

and ideally a good room with acoustic treatment

Rev J
05-30-2013, 06:24 AM
record drums, which i guess would involve the right set of mics, and a program to take and process said recordings.

i'm assuming to record a guitar, i would need some sort of adapter so i can link it straight into the computer.

like live instrumentation that can be recorded quickly and cheaply without sounding like garbage. i want to be able to make the sounds, turn it into tracks, and then mix said tracks together. again, in the most cost effective way.

If you want to record real drums you might want to consider a Mackie Onyx mixer. They are fairly inexpensive, the mic preamps are good, and they come with their own recording software.

As for mic's Sure has a drum mic package with a handful of SM57's and a kickdrum mic. Don't remember the price off the top of my head. The 57's are inexpensive mic's but sound great, can be used for anything, and are sturdy as hell.

If you want to direct record guitar you might consider a direct box and amp simulation software. It might not sound as good as the real thing but a lot of major recordings use the Line 6 Amp Farm plug in.

Just my $.02.

PlanB
05-30-2013, 06:26 AM
yeah i got the sense we wanted a more studio sound from the "not sounding like garbage" part

really though, recording live drums seems like a pain in the ass if you're gonna do it yourself, you don't really need live drums at all for hip hop instrumentals anyways.. unless the hip hop thing was a separate project

edit: ah nevermind, i missed the part where they were electronic drums, i don't really know much about those

Rev J
05-30-2013, 06:35 AM
yeah i got the sense we wanted a more studio sound from the "not sounding like garbage" part

really though, recording live drums seems like a pain in the ass if you're gonna do it yourself, you don't really need live drums at all for hip hop instrumentals anyways.. unless the hip hop thing was a separate project

edit: ah nevermind, i missed the part where they were electronic drums, i don't really know much about those

I missed that part too. Disregard most of my last post.

You may want an M Audio interface which will allow you to record both direct and through a miked amp. IMHO it's usually a good idea to have a direct box too as it will get rid of a lot of noise inherent in the instrument signal.

PlanB
05-30-2013, 06:50 AM
I too missed the electric drums. which makes it way easier. all he'll need is an interface, an SM57, and like Reaper or some similar software.

yeah this sounds good

though if you have a mac garageband is more than likely going to be adequate for just recording/mixing, i mean grimes did oblivion on garageband which is pretty cool

Gunz
05-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Trinidad James - Gold on My MacBook - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWJDF4ivXU)

Casual
05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
"splice instruments together to make songs"

This is what I pictured:

http://innovistaireland.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/onemanband.jpg