PDA

View Full Version : Daft Punk's new single/album?

sjknight413
04-19-2013, 04:41 AM
Get Lucky - Daft Punk (OFFICIAL RADIO EDIT) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxp0PFoIdmU)

Thoughts?

After being a long time fan of theirs since around 2000, i personally really dislike it. Putting regular vocals, especially that of pharrell williams, into their music is a massive step backwards for them in my opinion and just doesn't sound right.

Having said that i think they can bring it back on the album with the collab's they have done with Julian Casablancas and Panda Bear of Animal Collective.

On a side note, i didn't realize the voice from daft punk in the new single near the end i thought was a vocoder is actually created using analogue synths! redeems it a little bit but still isn't enough to forgive them for deciding to collaborate with pharrell.

Discuss.

or not. whatever.

CatrockSteady
04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
I think its pretty awesome. it has a good summer feel. Pharrel really worked it.

Vivica
04-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I was incredibly underwhelmed!

sjknight413
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM

As was I!
Just sounds extremely generic to me. If you listen to it and constantly remind yourself you're listening to Daft Punk you realise how much this just doesn't sound like them.

crailtap
04-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I did like the vibe, but you guys pretty much nailed it. Just doesn't sound like Daft at all. I wouldn't care if it were playing somewhere but I'm not gonna go out of my way to hear it.

Vivica
04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
It's just not got that magic je ne sais pas... Especially when you compare it to the epicness that was that was Tron: Legacy Reconfigured!!

Which funnily enough was exactly what i said on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/VivicaGsy/posts/10151404000122883) only 8 hours ago!

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 07:45 PM
You guys are crazy. This song rocks. I will go in depth in a minute.

p.s. all the Tron stuff was seriously meh, but it was a movie score, not an album. Saying this doesn't add up to Tron is lol-worthy. I don't even count Tron as part of their album releases.

crailtap
04-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Opinions

MartyRules
04-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Pharrell is a weird choice

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Opinions

Saying anything Daft Punk does is generic blows my mind. The guys are absolute perfectionists. They always make music they want to make, not music for critics or anything.

I mean, for one song, they dug out three mics from different decades. One from the 70s, one from the 80s, and one modern one or something. All for the specific effect of the different sounds. How many people will actually catch it? No one. But, Bangaltar can catch the sound and had a vision in his head for what he wanted.

Marty, why do you say Pharrell is a weird choice? He's proven he is a great all around musician from his vocals to his production with NERD and the likes. I think Daft Punk chooses their collabs out of respect for fellow musical talent.

crailtap
04-21-2013, 07:55 PM
Still opinions man.

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Still opinions man.

There are informed and uninformed opinions (I'm not saying you were uninformed).

I understand people can think differently, and not everyone must like the song.

My opinion is you all are crazy, I love this song. I am also a huge Daft Punk fan and have been for years now and have listened to their releases extensively.

crailtap
04-21-2013, 07:58 PM
So I didn't find this song to be all that great, big whoop.

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 08:00 PM
So I didn't find this song to be all that great, big whoop.

And, that's totes ok.

I'll get to what I was implying in a minute.

MartyRules
04-21-2013, 08:01 PM
It just seems out of place to me. I know he's good, I know Daft Punk is good, but together it throws me off is all lol

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 08:03 PM
It just seems out of place to me. I know he's good, I know Daft Punk is good, but together it throws me off is all lol

Oh ok, haha, I was just curious because I felt the same way when I saw they collaborated with Pharrell. Didn't seem to fit at first, and I wasn't even huge on his vocals on first listen either, but they've grown on me.

Ynot
04-21-2013, 08:35 PM
You guys are crazy. This song rocks. I will go in depth in a minute.

p.s. all the Tron stuff was seriously meh, but it was a movie score, not an album. Saying this doesn't add up to Tron is lol-worthy. I don't even count Tron as part of their album releases.

I agree minus that the Tron Legacy soundtrack was meh, in terms of movie soundtracks it was really fresh and had alot going for it, plus if you compare it to the original Tron's soundtrack (hint, it sounds like a bunch of orchestra players and a random synthesizer taking a shit) it's fucking amazing.

Ynot
04-21-2013, 08:43 PM
But yeah, I like the song itself, but in terms of Daft Punk it seems surprisingly laid back compared to how they usually do their production which is in your face and ready to party. It seems like the vocals are the main focus of this song, and Pharell's voice works for the song too imo.

but yeah, good song, but a bit surprising for Daft Punk. Hell, I wouldn't have even guessed it was them; probably N.E.R.D. cause of Pharell or something

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok, here we go:

First things first, I'm not huge on Pharrell's vocals either. I just don't think they are solid enough to be the focus of the track. But, they are growing on me, so there may still be hope. That being said, they are still good, it is a bit off to hear clear vocals as the focus of a Daft Punk track though. But, don't let that ruin the track.

Instead, look onto the second collab of the song in Nile Rodgers (Daft Punk | Random Access Memories | The Collaborators: Nile Rodgers - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_Yp9BOCaI)), Rodgers knocks it out of the park on this track in my eyes. The backing tune is outstanding, particularly when Pharrell's vocals drop out around 2:20. It's this infectiously catchy blend I can't help but to call discofunk. Where Pharrell doesn't sound Daft Punk, this part does. Rodgers has created some outstanding sounds here and Daft Punk worked their magic with it. I love it.

I could into a lot of other things, but I don't want to build the wall-o-text. I would suggest everyone watch at least the first episode of the Collaborator Series Daft Punk put out. It features Giorgio Moroder and he says lots of good stuff. Watch it if you're interested in the album release: Daft Punk | Random Access Memories | The Collaborators: Giorgio Moroder - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDvxo-M0OQ&list=SP6uqON-thyrbyAiB8LYlhvyyIDSAHpd7s) He makes a lot of good points. Listen to the song again and reallylisten to it. Listen to how full and complete it sounds. It may not be a breathtaking song, but it's all there. At the end of the day, I'm still incredibly excited for this album.

The One Who Once Was
04-21-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree minus that the Tron Legacy soundtrack was meh, in terms of movie soundtracks it was really fresh and had alot going for it, plus if you compare it to the original Tron's soundtrack (hint, it sounds like a bunch of orchestra players and a random synthesizer taking a shit) it's fucking amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Tron soundtrack. It was one of the few things I really got into in the movie. Just, in comparison to their other albums, it was lacking in some areas. Nothing against the album, it's to be expected with a movie score.

But yeah, I like the song itself, but in terms of Daft Punk it seems surprisingly laid back compared to how they usually do their production which is in your face and ready to party. It seems like the vocals are the main focus of this song, and Pharell's voice works for the song too imo.

but yeah, good song, but a bit surprising for Daft Punk. Hell, I wouldn't have even guessed it was them; probably N.E.R.D. cause of Pharell or something

I think they're going for a different vibe in this song for sure. I mean, so much of the music coming out now is just aggressive and in your face in its own way. This is different.

Sidster59
05-30-2013, 11:15 AM
I have no real problem with Daft Punk, I don't really listen to a lot of it, but one thing really bugs me. They're new album is number 1 on Spotify, with a few songs being in the top 20, Get Lucky-Radio Edit being #1. The problem is that I know no one in real life that even likes them. Most people seem to think it's DubStep, or old 80's punk.

Casual
05-30-2013, 11:28 AM

This. I don't really care that they did a collab with Pherrel, he's super talented... it's just nothing special to me. Thing is I don't find this to have a "new" feel at all, it sounds old and I've heard it before like 1000 times through the 90's and 2000's with all the vocal disco house fluff that came out. It just surprises me that they would do something so unoriginal.

Vivica
05-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Having now heard the full album several time, i stand by my previous comments.
Seriously underwhelmed.

The One Who Once Was
05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Having now heard the full album several time, i stand by my previous comments.
Seriously underwhelmed.

Then you're simply foolish or not listening to it on quality speakers. Best dance album to come out in a long time.

Or too stubborn and stuck on the old Daft Punk. Discovery and Homework will always be there, there's no point for them to recreate those sounds. Daft Punk intended to make a new record inspired by the sounds of disco/funk and the music of the 50s-70s then add some DP flair to it. They executed this to near perfection.

Now, if that's not the sound you enjoy, I understand that. Everyone should have expected it though, they put out plenty of clues as to what this album was going to sound like.

dtj16
05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
I have no real problem with Daft Punk, I don't really listen to a lot of it, but one thing really bugs me. They're new album is number 1 on Spotify, with a few songs being in the top 20, Get Lucky-Radio Edit being #1. The problem is that I know no one in real life that even likes them. Most people seem to think it's DubStep, or old 80's punk.

That's crazy.
Almost everyone I know has been listening to the album nonstop, hell, even my dad bought the LP.

Even the bonus track is enjoyable.
Daft Punk Horizon (Bonus RAM) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhHYDFc4Rck)

Sidster59
05-30-2013, 03:15 PM
That's crazy.
Almost everyone I know has been listening to the album nonstop, hell, even my dad bought the LP.

Really? Cause like I said, I know no one that seriously is a fan or even really knows who they are. I mean I know some people online of course, but I.R.L... I know NO ONE.

dtj16
05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I know plenty of people who really like them even people who normally don't listen to techno.

Maybe it's just my age bracket since we grew up with hearing Discovery/Human after all.

Or maybe it's because I'm from central Tx where a lot of people care about music.

MartyRules
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I know plenty of people who really like them even people who normally don't listen to techno.

Maybe it's just my age bracket since we grew up with hearing Discovery/Human after all.

Or maybe it's because I'm from central Tx where a lot of people care about music.
Must be a TX thing, it's the same here

The One Who Once Was
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Daft Punk is not even one bit techno.

*facepalm*

pet peeve of mine when people throw around the term "techno" as a cover-all for electronic music.

The One Who Once Was
05-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Really? Cause like I said, I know no one that seriously is a fan or even really knows who they are. I mean I know some people online of course, but I.R.L... I know NO ONE.

Then you must hang out with some:
A. Youngins
B. People who live under a rock

Everyone knows Daft Punk. I grew up hanging out with kids who loved electronic music and dance music in general, so I've been a Daft Punk fan since I was young. But, even with my rock/rap/etc. friends, most of them have at least heard of Daft Punk.

Their album is number one because people have been waiting for this release since 2005. Some people even longer because it's the general consensus that Human After All was a major let down and the sound of it felt rushed and forced.

So, no, it is not a Texas thing.

dtj16
05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Daft Punk is not even one bit techno.

*facepalm*

pet peeve of mine when people throw around the term "techno" as a cover-all for electronic music.

It's a generalization, much like saying rock n roll or country, ect. Chill out.
Sorry I don't have a list of your pet peeves written down in a diary.

Lisztomania
05-31-2013, 11:57 AM
My favorite songs are Giorgio, Instant crush, touch, and Doing it right

Sidster59
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Then you must hang out with some:
A. Youngins
B. People who live under a rock

Everyone knows Daft Punk. I grew up hanging out with kids who loved electronic music and dance music in general, so I've been a Daft Punk fan since I was young. But, even with my rock/rap/etc. friends, most of them have at least heard of Daft Punk.

Their album is number one because people have been waiting for this release since 2005. Some people even longer because it's the general consensus that Human After All was a major let down and the sound of it felt rushed and forced.

So, no, it is not a Texas thing.

Yea, I am only 16, and I didn't grow up listening to them at all.

The One Who Once Was
05-31-2013, 03:26 PM
It's a generalization, much like saying rock n roll or country, ect. Chill out.
Sorry I don't have a list of your pet peeves written down in a diary.

It's not a generalization, it is an incorrect term. Say electronic music, that is a generalization.

Techno is a specific genre of electronic music and Daft Punk does not make techno music. They are more geared to the house genre of electronic.

Rock and roll and country are broad genres, like electronic.

Yea, I am only 16, and I didn't grow up listening to them at all.

Ah, ok, then that makes sense.