PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading my Epiphone Les Paul custom for a Telecaster Modern Player

the_unknown_soldier
12-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Is that the best idea ever, or foolish?

I've been wanting a Telecaster for years, but could never warrant buying one because I got that Les Paul when I was 16. It's only an Epiphone, but it's an Epiphone custom, so it's a bit nicer. Today I saw the most beautiful black on black Fender Telecaster, and when I played it I fell in love. As much as I'd love to just have both guitars, it wouldn't make much economical sense.

Money wise it'd be a downgrade, but quality wise I don't think it would be. If I sold it toward the Fender I feel I could probably break even for it.

For the record, it's the Zakk Wylde Les Paul. I don't like Zakk Wylde, nor am I into metal at all. I just thought it looked cool, but I still feel the Telecaster would suit me better. (Though the Les Paul is still a great guitar.)

Thoughts? Would this be a musical abomination, or a good idea?

Skateselect
12-27-2012, 08:33 PM
i vote yes, based on this and what you said in the other thread. unless a guitar is "your" guitar (if you get what i mean, which i think you will) then switching things up is almost always a good thing. keeps it fresh, and switching from an lp to a tele you'll no doubt play some different stuff and get better and more versatile as a player.

plus, ive always wanted a tele too. something about them is so playable

drowning_fish
12-27-2012, 08:37 PM
If the prices are similar & you dug the Tele, I'd go with that. I like teles over anything, tho mainly cause I'm a fucking idiot & they're so simple. & cause of dboon. & to me they're more comfortable than anything else. Maybe strats, which feel the same anyway.

Anyway I don't understand. If the prices are similar what would you lose? Like someone somehow finds out you did this & then you lose street cred or something?

Also for the longest time I thought Spike Jonze was black.

Or I guess I failed to differentiate between Spike Jonze & Spike Lee.

the_unknown_soldier
12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
i vote yes, based on this and what you said in the other thread. unless a guitar is "your" guitar (if you get what i mean, which i think you will) then switching things up is almost always a good thing. keeps it fresh, and switching from an lp to a tele you'll no doubt play some different stuff and get better and more versatile as a player.

plus, ive always wanted a tele too. something about them is so playable

I totally do know what you mean, because I'm sentimental son of a bitch, so it'd be a bit weird. But I'm still leaning toward yes.

If the prices are similar & you dug the Tele, I'd go with that. I like teles over anything, tho mainly cause I'm a fucking idiot & they're so simple. & cause of dboon. & to me they're more comfortable than anything else. Maybe strats, which feel the same anyway.

Anyway I don't understand. If the prices are similar what would you lose? Like someone somehow finds out you did this & then you lose street cred or something?

Also for the longest time I thought Spike Jonze was black.

Or I guess I failed to differentiate between Spike Jonze & Spike Lee.

Haha, the whole "musical abomination" thing was a joke. I sorta just wanted opinions. I always feel better when I get reassurance for things like this, and I feel like most of my friends that I've asked may be a bit biased.

Price-wise my Les Paul sells for like 300 more than the Tele, which isn't that drastic, but it is 300 dollars.

drowning_fish
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Oh wow. My tele cost $140. Tho mine is not nice at all & sparkly black. Oh, and it's a Squier, that's probably why.

$300 is a lot though.

& I dunno if this will mean anything but Les Pauls always seemed unwieldy to me. Too heavy. Teles fit nice.

But bit hard to have it not sound twangy most of the time though - just so you know, if you didn't already. And even if you don't go all dboon on it you'll get hardly any heaviness out of it. It's kind of annoying - it's why shoegazers, etc. seem to enjoy reverbing the shit out of them a lot - cause they sound pretty hollow & dead on record otherwise.

A nice real one unlike mine is probably better at all those things though.

the_unknown_soldier
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah. Like I said, I played it through the same amp that I own at the store and it sounded great. Plus lots of my favorite bands use them. (That's not why I want them, but it's still good to base off of.)

If I can get a good deal for my Paul then I think my mind is pretty much set, but yeah.

bobziggen
01-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Maybe try selling the Les on CL first. You'll probably get more money for it than a trade in.

I'm in the same situation with my Les Paul. I really should've gotten a strat, but at the time I was buying a guitar, I really didn't try out all my options. I just went with what looked good. Though now that I upgraded my amp, it sounds better.

I'm in the process of sorting out how to trade/sell this les paul for a strat, though its not a priority for me.

unfun
01-05-2013, 12:19 AM
you could probably get a mexican made tele for around 300 maybe a bit more.. nicer ones won't have that cheap annoying twang that people often mask with a ton of reverb and are capable of heavy and distorted lead playing

Yngwie Malmsteen - Blue - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzW8fi8z5C8)

not as heavy/crunchy as the les paul, which i think is what youre after.