PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new amp.

bobziggen
11-21-2012, 03:38 PM
So my birthday is next week and I'm ready to upgrade to something better than a practice amp (Line6 Spider 15w).

My price range is $200-$400. I was looking at the Vox Valvetronix VT80 because of the versatility. On my little line6, I've been using the built in effects less and less as I've gotten a few more pedals, so I'm not so sure that I'll even need the effects in the VT80. I'll try out a Vox AC15 also.

Skateselect
11-21-2012, 05:26 PM
youve just got to try out tons of amps man, no one on here knows exactly what kind of sound you want, you probably couldnt even put it in words. youve just got to keep on playing through them (with YOUR guitar, i might add. important to bring yours with you when trying em out) until one just makes you go "woah, this is exactly what im looking for"

with $200-$400 you should be able to get a solid amp.

and, if you want to go with a tube amp, remember that they sound best when they can get nice and loud, so a smaller amp can end up sounding better at practice volume n shit

Snake
11-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I mean, if you can swing a vox AC15, do that

riskitforabiscuit
11-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Definitely buy used to get the best value for money. If you want something versatile then I would definitely recommend the Vox Valvetronix. However, if you want something better suited to a live setting then definitely try and go for a full-tube amp. The AC would be great.

bobziggen
11-21-2012, 09:29 PM
So I woudln't be able to get the most from a true tube like the AC15 unless I crank it?

With the VT80 though, I could still get overdriven tones but on a quieter volume?

Snake
11-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Vox AC15 Custom - AC15C1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5RSaECdCrQ)

the_unknown_soldier
11-21-2012, 11:52 PM
So my birthday is next week and I'm ready to upgrade to something better than a practice amp (Line6 Spider 15w).

My price range is $200-$400. I was looking at the Vox Valvetronix VT80 because of the versatility. On my little line6, I've been using the built in effects less and less as I've gotten a few more pedals, so I'm not so sure that I'll even need the effects in the VT80. I'll try out a Vox AC15 also.

If you're willing to go like a hundred higher, try and swing yourself a VT120. It's like twice the size, and it's so fucking nice.

VT80's great as well, but if you're already going all out, you might as well go with the best you can get. My VT120 can be contained to a bedroom, but can also keep up with full band, including full stacks that are nearly as tall as I am.

lonechicken
11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Blackstars are pretty versatile small tube amps.

I have a Marshall Haze but that has a specific sound unless you tweak it or run effects through it.

bobziggen
11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
If you're willing to go like a hundred higher, try and swing yourself a VT120. It's like twice the size, and it's so fucking nice.

VT80's great as well, but if you're already going all out, you might as well go with the best you can get. My VT120 can be contained to a bedroom, but can also keep up with full band, including full stacks that are nearly as tall as I am.

I was testing out the VT120 in teh store and liked it, but its too much amp for what my needs at the moment.

I found a new VT80 on ebay for $270, no shipping, no tax. Saved myself ~$130. I don't think the sound of an AC15 would be worth spending an extra $200. I'd rather use that money to buy a pedal or two.

When the time comes to upgrade my amp once more, I'll sell it on CL. Gonna be here next week yeaaa.

the_unknown_soldier
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Well congrats on your new purchase, and for what you're describing the 80 should be just fine for your needs. As a former skeptic of a tube amp with solid state functions, Vox has got it right.

bobziggen
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
So the amp finally got here and it sounds great. Huge improvement from this practice amp.

I put my delay pedal to its full potential and hooked it up in ( ( S T E R E O ) )

So much fun. Makes me want to get a stereo tremolo, but there no stores that I can demo one in..

In other news, next semester I'm taking two music classes: Intro to recording techniques, and electronic music. Both of them teach the basics of rec/mixing, and midi. Midi is something thats probably so basic, but until I can get my hands on it for myself, is going over my head.

Ripper_ZANyjah
12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
You can't go wrong with mesa boogie.

Tony
12-06-2012, 06:08 PM
So I woudln't be able to get the most from a true tube like the AC15 unless I crank it?

Yeah I think so. The way I fix the tone on my Laney TF700 hybrid head's drive sound is that I have a rack multieffect in the FX loop and I can choke the output through that while keeping the head itself feeding whatever is needed to achieve the sound I want. It's worked for me, dunno how the most hifi studio players would do it, but with tube amps and sound intensity problems it's an option. I tried to find the specs on the AC15 and I think it doesn't have an effects loop so not sure this way around is possible, I haven't tried this method with effect pedals before the guitar signal input to the preamp, but I'd imagine it doesn't quite work the same way.. Go and figure, or if someone here knows more please share some experiences on this.

zach1097
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
marshall stack all the way

destroyedicon
01-16-2013, 01:25 AM
anything solid state is going to be much cheaper than a valve amp. Obviously you wont get the warm sound of the valve. Just go out and play them and listen to what you like the best. People can tell you whichever amp they want, but it's your ears and your tastes as to what you buy in the end.