PDA

View Full Version : question about making electronic music

cutboy
11-17-2012, 11:39 PM
So i've decided to try my hand at actually trying to create music. I'm going for kind of a "chillwave" kind of style, hazy synths, electronic drums/drum machine, etc. such as teen daze, washed out, toro y moi, brothertiger, etc. the thing is, all I have to use right now is Garageband on my mac and a old crappy midi keyboard i'm borrowing from my friend. garageband might not be the best program for making music in general, but does anybody know how to do pitch bends?

another thing i'm wondering how to do, i don't know the word for it, but how do you make certain parts of the song "drop out"? kind of like a pulse effect, but a little more random or only at certain parts of a note... for example, in Toro Y Moi "Talamak" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxhLiNypVU) the music seems to drop out whenever a bass hit is played

cutboy
11-18-2012, 12:06 AM
i'll look at the note filters more, I thought it was something called compression, but wasn't sure. I haven't found anything yet that can manually control the compression on garageband. thanks, at least now I know what to look for.

and crap, i've been listening to com truise and he just makes it sound way too easy. just making one song is taking me forever.

cutboy
11-18-2012, 12:25 AM
true, but i could probably make this garageband file to an mp3 and try it on some other computer. I might check to see if my school's computers have audacity.

Nesta.
11-18-2012, 01:09 AM
download a torrent for reason 6 and use that, it's a bit harder to get used to but you can do so much more with it. your question has already been answered so i just thought i'd throw that suggestion in.

cutboy
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
okay i'm trying to download it, it might take a while. it looks like it might be hard to use, but id like to figure it out.
and i found the manual settings for compression on garageband... do i want to set the compression high for the drums/bass and low for the synths, or the other way around?

cutboy
11-18-2012, 12:47 PM
i can't seem to get it to be doing what I want to with the compression, and reason 6 froze up while downloading so that'll have to wait a bit.

in the meantime, here is a little WIP i have going.

http://soundcloud.com/aarondatsessions/outward-solitude

excuse the stupid name I came up with in 5 seconds

cutboy
11-18-2012, 01:21 PM
like the entire song, or just the whole track for one instrument?

PlanB
11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I'd get logic pro 9 in you're already familiar with garageband

cutboy
11-18-2012, 01:41 PM
and i'd use some other program to do that such as reason 6/audacity/logic pro 9?

this is useful information. i'll do this when i think i'm finished working on the entire track except for that compression part.

cutboy
11-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I found audacity for the mac and put my WIP into it and made the threshold low as possible. it worked! I think... i don't know what to do with the rest of the dials under compression but im sure i can figure it out.

thanks vladimir

cutboy
11-18-2012, 08:11 PM
i just found out that it's called side-chain compression... saw this Sidechain Compression in Ableton Live 8 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnOQWLURFU)

I feel like i need to take the bass and kick drums, put them seperately from the rest of the music and upload them both seperately to audacity to get the effect I want. not sure though.

maybe I should just get a better, more professional program. I've messed around with compression as much as I can with garageband, it doesn't do crap.

Waveshaper
11-19-2012, 06:32 AM
i just found out that it's called side-chain compression... saw this Sidechain Compression in Ableton Live 8 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnOQWLURFU)

I feel like i need to take the bass and kick drums, put them seperately from the rest of the music and upload them both seperately to audacity to get the effect I want. not sure though.

maybe I should just get a better, more professional program. I've messed around with compression as much as I can with garageband, it doesn't do crap.
Just get a program that you can actually sidechain with. It's easy, you put a compressor on the bass channel. Then you link the volume of the kickdrum to the threshold of the compressor. Then all you have to do is change the ratio/volume/treshold on the compressor (depending on what kind of compressor you have) to your liking.

It's possible to do it with audacity, but that will take A LOT of work and time as you're going to have to work with volume fades

cutboy
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I finally got reason 6.

I have no idea what i'm doing what are all these little knobs and dials etc how do i drum machine what what what what what

Sk8maniac
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM

That would be correct, sidechain compression seems to be the spice of life in the electronic/dance genre, it gives the song a feeling that the volume is being pushed to it's absolute max. Technically, Vlad is correct, you can achieve the same sound by compressing the hell out of the finished song (or the master track) however it squashes the whole song and significantly lowers the quality, side chaining is basically the same thing but it doesn't fuck up your whole mix.

Honestly if I were you, I would reccomend getting a cheap but decent digital audio workstation (like pro tools, reason, logic ect.) You can actually get them for pretty cheap if you hunt down an older verison, I got pro tools 8 this year for 150 bucks (down from like 700 -800 for the newest version). I know money is a bitch, but it really helps a lot. Also MIDI controllers go for pretty cheap now, that would be another valuable purchase.

Also, I've never used garageband, but does it have automation controls? If so you should be able to alter mod wheel/pitch wheel automation to do whatever the hell you want it to. if you have no clue what I'm talking about, google "Garageband automation controls," someone out there will know what to do.

cutboy
11-20-2012, 09:09 AM
I will do that. I have the demo version of reason right now, which lets you make music and save it but you can't open it up later to work on it. i may invest in good software if I'm certain I really want to stick with trying to make music as a hobby or something. garageband isn't really doing the trick though haha. I'll look up those automation control things when i get the chance to work on music again.

PlanB
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Logic is the cheapest at $199 and it comes with like 20 gigs of instruments and effects

BROBOT
11-20-2012, 11:11 PM
-add a high-pass or low-pass effect to the track. fuck with the settings till it sounds good.
-click the down arrow beneath the track's pan and volume controls
-expand the drop down list and click "add automation"
-add an automation to the effect

now you can control the intensity of the effect with the graph looking thing under the track. you can also duck out the track's volume in the same way if that's what you're talking about.

reptiskate52
11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Just personal preference, I avoid programs whenever I can. Since I'm doing a folk project with some electro mix right now, I do all of the recording live.

Get a MicroKorg and a Kaossilator, being hands on is the best.

Sk8maniac
11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Just personal preference, I avoid programs whenever I can. Since I'm doing a folk project with some electro mix right now, I do all of the recording live.

Get a MicroKorg and a Kaossilator, being hands on is the best.

What do you mean exactly by avoiding programs? That would mean you are recording on tape?