PDA

View Full Version : So I have this music and humanities paper due at the end of the week...

cutboy
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
This paper is using musical terms to describe some of my music. I have to be able to explain why I love the music I chose using actual musical terms.... I can't say something like "It has a nice beat" or "i like the lyrics". But I can't decide which album I want to use. I would create a playlist but I don't think that would turn out as well as just choosing a one of my favorite albums.

I'm having a tough time deciding though (I guess I just have too much good music).

I'm kind of at a point of deciding between these two:

"Hurry Up, We're Dreaming"-M83

or

"Come on Feel the Illinoise"-Sufjan

which should I pick??

cutboy
09-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Thats true, but it's less about the lyrics and more about the actual musical structures of the songs like the melodies, rhythms, harmonies, countermelodies, meters, instrumentations, key tonality, and stuff like that. I think that Sufjan does have more complex music (unconventional meters such as 5/4) but M83 has a lot of things going on with the music too, and it is more heavy and electronic which i'd like to do for a project like this where i get to choose. sufjan's music is more similar to the other types of music I will be studying later in the course.

Clayton or die
09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Thats true, but it's less about the lyrics and more about the actual musical structures of the songs like the melodies, rhythms, harmonies, countermelodies, meters, instrumentations, key tonality, and stuff like that. I think that Sufjan does have more complex music (unconventional meters such as 5/4) but M83 has a lot of things going on with the music too, and it is more heavy and electronic which i'd like to do for a project like this where i get to choose. sufjan's music is more similar to the other types of music I will be studying later in the course.

cutboy
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
well that answers my question.

PlanB
09-24-2012, 09:12 PM
You could spend a decent portion talking about the brother/sister concept thing between disc one and two. Just throwin' out an idea

cutboy
09-25-2012, 08:05 AM
You could spend a decent portion talking about the brother/sister concept thing between disc one and two. Just throwin' out an idea

I could. Interesting point.

Snake
09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
BILL CLINTON PLAYS M83 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=433-nmcWw8E)

Honestly though, Come on Feel the Illinoise gets my vote due to overall superiority

cutboy
09-25-2012, 08:27 PM
gosh dangit, this makes my choice a little harder. i think i'm still going to end up going with m83 since it's a little different from what we'll be doing later in the semester. sufjan does have a more complex and genius album i have to say.