PDA

View Full Version : question

dain84
01-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Do you guys think that a band would work with two bassists? I think it could be a unique sound. My plan is for two bassists, two or three guitarists, and a drummer. One of us will sing.

Btw, it won't be a metal band.

almostanaccount
01-27-2006, 11:24 AM
possibly, but that is still alot of members in a band. cut down on the guitarists if your going for a softer/jazzier sound. DFA 1979 doesn't even have a guitarist (they use a synthesizer), so i think 2 basses would be awesomely unique.

Vivica
01-27-2006, 11:25 AM
that idea is silly :p it would work in theory, but you'd have to be really good, the more people in a band the harder it is to keep everybody in time and tune.

two bassists is a cool idea, and there are a bunch of bands that already do it, my favorite of whom are Toupe.

www.myspace.com/toupe
www.toupe.co.uk

they're all live tracks now, they sound brilliant recorded!

they're brilliant! nothing but two bassists and a drummer, BRILLIANT!!

i wouldn't recomend forming such a big band, two bassists, one drummer, and one guitarist could work, but having 2/3 guitarists would cause SOOOO many problems.

dain84
01-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Two bassists and only one guitarist? I don't thinki that would work. I think two guitarists would be fine. You're right, 3 is too many. What I want to start is a punk band, but really technical, solos, drum fills and all. If we have two bassists, I would probably be the singer and basically just play certain parts.

Vivica
01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
doesn't sound like a good formula for a punk band, but hey, its your idea not mine.

if you've never played in a band before you're not going to understand why i think having two/three guitarists could be an issue, but i sure as hell wouldn't want to have 3 guitarists in that mix, no way.

i can't see why you'd need 2 to be honest, you'll have your rythem section with your basses, and a guitar for either solos, or as additional rythem, either when it suits or when bass solos are involved?

dain84
01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Haha, it's a stupid idea, sorry. Maybe later when I'm better.

Vivica
01-27-2006, 11:44 AM
its not a stupid idea at all, it would be alot of work that's for sure, and you'd have to write all your own stuff, which again with a bigger band can be hard.

especailly it you don't know much guitar and you want to be a big part of the band...

i'd go for the dual bass idea man, it can be really cool when done right.

dain84
01-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Maybe later when I've been in a band and I'm a better bassist. Right now I can keep rhythm really good, but I can't play anything that's complicated at all. Maybe it can be like, a rhythm/lead bass idea with a lead guitar?

Vivica
01-27-2006, 12:00 PM
You've been playing around a month right?

i've been playing close to 2 years, and i still loose my rythem sometimes, seriously, if you're going to do that you're going to have to learn quite abit about playing.

i would try play with a more conventional band first, it might not be how you want it to be, but you'll learn how to fit into songs.

playing along to cd's and drum machines is one thing, playing with a band is a whole different ball game.

dain84
01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey guys, off subject a bit, but is it strange that I can play Seven Nation Army better on acoustic guitar than I can on bass? I don't even play guitar.

Vivica
01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
well guitar strings are for pussies... so its not really that weird.

bradensk8s
01-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Guitar strings for pussies, you crazy. Just cause there thinner don't mean shit.

dain84
01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Guitar strings for pussies, you crazy. Just cause there thinner don't mean shit.
I think he means that you have to be stronger to hold down some bass strings. It's true.

unwanted hero
01-27-2006, 01:30 PM

uh..yea it does..guitar strings are crazy easier to fret than bass strings

eatthesun894
01-27-2006, 01:34 PM
if both of the bassists are good, then it would be a great idea

dain84
01-27-2006, 01:49 PM
if both of the bassists are good, then it would be a great idea
Too bad I suck... oh well, until I get better, I'm gonna try and start a pop-punk band like The Offspring and Pennywise.

Vivica
01-27-2006, 01:57 PM

i'm afraid it does, i can happily play guitar non stop for an hour, however playing bass non stop for an hour causes small chunks of my fingers to hurt... alot.

iliketosk8
01-27-2006, 04:40 PM
yeah it could probably have a sweet sound if you did. i'm pretty sure that judas preist had two drummers so you could have two bassists and it would work. just do a little experimenting and if it doesnt work just give the bassist who doesnt have as much talent the boot

dain84
01-27-2006, 04:47 PM
yeah it could probably have a sweet sound if you did. i'm pretty sure that judas preist had two drummers so you could have two bassists and it would work. just do a little experimenting and if it doesnt work just give the bassist who doesnt have as much talent the boot
Haha, then I would have to fire myself! And no, Priest didn't have two drummers.

iliketosk8
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
oh wasnt to sure if they did have two drummers or not.

magic mushroom
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
well guitar strings are for pussies... so its not really that weird.

ahahahahahahaha that's good, i nearly cut myself trying to slide on my friend's fender, on E string? i dunno, the bottom one?O-)

spanky_dan
01-27-2006, 07:16 PM
i can imagine that sounding good, but i personally hate the bass guitar so yeah. and yeh guitar strings are for pussies but i would rather be a pussy and be able to strum and bust out some wicked as solos then to play bass. and yes i do know that there are bass solos

lutzkasong
01-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Death From Above 1979 is amazing.

lutzkasong
01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey guys, off subject a bit, but is it strange that I can play Seven Nation Army better on acoustic guitar than I can on bass? I don't even play guitar.
No, but you should be able to play them the same. And don't ever brag about being able to play that song. I'm not saying you were, but some guitarists will like tear you apart. They hate that song 'cause it's so easy.

dain84
01-27-2006, 07:46 PM
No, but you should be able to play them the same. And don't ever brag about being able to play that song. I'm not saying you were, but some guitarists will like tear you apart. They hate that song 'cause it's so easy.
I know it's incredibly easy, but it's still a good riff.

lutzkasong
01-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I know it's incredibly easy, but it's still a good riff.
It is a good riff. But learn some Protest the Hero solos.

Renegade of Funk
01-28-2006, 12:08 PM
doesn't sound like a good formula for a punk band, but hey, its your idea not mine.
there are actually alot of very musicly diverse punk bands, check out Contravene, the solos may not melt your face but they way they craft songs and piece them together is incredible. Conflict, 1905, and A//Political (though you cant really tell much cus the recording is so bad) are some other good ones. hell, even my punk band has its fair share of solos and what not

dain84
01-28-2006, 01:47 PM
It is a good riff. But learn some Protest the Hero solos. I don't play guitar. I play bass. Seven Nation Army is the only riff I can play on a guitar.

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 01:49 PM
I don't play guitar. I play bass. Seven Nation Army is the only riff I can play on a guitar.
Ok, well learn some nirvana riffs, especially "lounge act". Nirvana has the craziest bass riffs, and pink floyd aswell.

dain84
01-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Ok, well learn some nirvana riffs, especially "lounge act". Nirvana has the craziest bass riffs, and pink floyd aswell.
Yeah, Louge Act, Sliver, and Lithium I gotta learn.

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, Louge Act, Sliver, and Lithium I gotta learn.
Don't forget about the entire Incesticide CD. It's full of sick bass riffs.

Vivica
01-28-2006, 02:01 PM

haha, Pink Floyd riffs are pretty cool, but Nirvana bass is basic as hell.

dain84
01-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Don't forget about the entire Incesticide CD. It's full of sick bass riffs.
Yeah, that song Hairspray Queen has a good line.

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
haha, Pink Floyd riffs are pretty cool, but Nirvana bass is basic as hell.
In some songs, yes. But in others, hell no.

Vivica
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
well my band still covers 3 nirvana songs from time to time, and i've learn... i can't even remember how many nirvana songs... *counts* i think 11, but it might be 10, i'm not sure, and they're not hard songs.

almost all are 4/4 or other simple timings, where as pink floyd are much harder, using slightly stranger timings, more complicated riffs, the whole thing is more technical, i learnt money a couple of months ago, 7/4 for the most part, with some 7/8 and some 4/4, unlike nirvana.

i'm yet to come across a nirvana song that i would class as "Crazy"

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 02:18 PM
well my band still covers 3 nirvana songs from time to time, and i've learn... i can't even remember how many nirvana songs... *counts* i think 11, but it might be 10, i'm not sure, and they're not hard songs.

almost all are 4/4 or other simple timings, where as pink floyd are much harder, using slightly stranger timings, more complicated riffs, the whole thing is more technical, i learnt money a couple of months ago, 7/4 for the most part, with some 7/8 and some 4/4, unlike nirvana.

i'm yet to come across a nirvana song that i would class as "Crazy"
Everyone knows Nirvana wasn't partically talented at their instruments. Except of course Dave Groehl(sp?). They were really talented at writing songs though.

Vivica
01-28-2006, 02:24 PM
they were actually pretty good with their insturments, they just didn't write music that reflects that.

i still beleive that their riffs were in no way crazy

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
they were actually pretty good with their insturments, they just didn't write music that reflects that.

i still beleive that their riffs were in no way crazy
I can play any song by them on guitar, bass and maybe drums. I hardly think I could even come close to writing something worthy as being deemed as good and/or better than smells like teen spirit, come as you are, lithium, in bloom, heart shaped box, rape me, or about a girl. Maybe I could write a song that's better than "Moist vagina"...
And none of their riff were crazy.

failed to lose
01-28-2006, 03:28 PM
dont use two basses because too much bass sounds shakey and you'd have to turn the volume way down on both, 'cause you don't want it to be heard over the guitar, my band has one bass and it sounds fine
so my suggestion is stick with one basses

Vivica
01-28-2006, 03:31 PM
dont use two basses because too much bass sounds shakey and you'd have to turn the volume way down on both, 'cause you don't want it to be heard over the guitar, my band has one bass and it sounds fine
so my suggestion is stick with one basses

that entire section of that post is retarded.

you don't want the bass to be heard above the guitar, that's fucking retarded.

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 03:38 PM

Amen.

failed to lose
01-28-2006, 03:48 PM

so you enjoy listening to bass your a poser piece of trash, and if you didnt have a piece of shit band you'd know what i'am talking about

Vivica
01-28-2006, 03:52 PM
oh look at that... somehow you managed to get temporarily banned... how strange.

what you said was stupid, and if you honestly beleive that i really do pity you.

dain84
01-28-2006, 03:56 PM
so you enjoy listening to bass your a poser piece of trash, and if you didnt have a piece of shit band you'd know what i'am talking about
How does listening to bass make someone a poser? It's guitarist fags like you that make the world suck.

01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
How does listening to bass make someone a poser? It's guitarist fags like you that make the world suck.it's guitarist fags like you that makes a thread asking if they should have two bass ,to save your stupidity dont have a band

dain84
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
it's guitarist fags like you that makes a thread asking if they should have two bass ,to save your stupidity dont have a band
Why do you think I'm a guitarist? I'm a bassist, you stupid fuck. Your band probably sucks ass. What do you play?

encyclopedia
01-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Two bassists and only one guitarist? I don't thinki that would work. I think two guitarists would be fine. You're right, 3 is too many. What I want to start is a punk band, but really technical, solos, drum fills and all. If we have two bassists, I would probably be the singer and basically just play certain parts.

Sounds like Say Anything to me, but without the insane numer of band members,

encyclopedia
01-28-2006, 04:35 PM

Seriously, Say Anything Are awesome, check them out for the good of humanity.

dain84
01-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Say Anything has two guitarists and one basist, only five members.

dain84
01-28-2006, 04:55 PM
you are a definate poser
Let me ask you, idiot, what is your definition of a poser? I just started playing about a month ago. Calling me a poser is like saying a kid that's only been skating for a month is a poser because he can't kickflip.

01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
well i didnt know that, sorry

dain84
01-28-2006, 05:00 PM
well i didnt know that, sorry
Then don't say anything, retard.

SkateorElse
01-28-2006, 05:08 PM
How the fuck does playing bass make you a poser? It's little cocky guitarists like you that really piss me off.

01-28-2006, 05:09 PM
i tried to make a truce you low life unwanted piece of ***** and if you think im going to stop talking because of you, you're poorly mistaken, and for playing bass for one month, lucky you, you can stop now and only deal with stupidity for one month, instead of as long as you were planing on wasting your dark life

dain84
01-28-2006, 05:13 PM
i tried to make a truce you low life unwanted piece of ***** and if you think im going to stop talking because of you, you're poorly mistaken, and for playing bass for one month, lucky you, you can stop now and only deal with stupidity for one month, instead of as long as you were planing on wasting your dark life
How is playing bass stupid? Yeah, let's take away all the bassists. See how you like all your bands sounding like old transistor radios. And no tuning guitars ridiculously low to mimic a bass. Believe it or not, fucktard, bass and drums are the backbone of almost all music.

01-28-2006, 05:23 PM
ya, thats only why what makes a song, a song is a guitar solo, since your clueless ill tell you what a guitar solo is, it's where a guitar plays a certain part by itself

dain84
01-28-2006, 05:29 PM
ya, thats only why what makes a song, a song is a guitar solo, since your clueless ill tell you what a guitar solo is, it's where a guitar plays a certain part by itself I know what a fucking guitar solo is you piece of shit. Hell, there's bass solos too, if you listen to Rancid. And a song is NOT a guitar solo. And in most solos, the drummer also plays. I'm willing to bet you suck at playing guitar. By the way, you should learn to use proper spelling and grammar, you stupid motherfucker. AND, most songs actually don't have a solo these days, although more should. Go listen to Maxwell Murder by Rancid. It has an incredibly fast bass solo that NO ONE on here could play. And don't go saying bass is easy. It's easy to play ok ba$s but extremely hard to play it good.

Now fuck off, sir.

Myalterego
01-28-2006, 05:53 PM
i personally think that is an awesome idea. bass adds an awesome flow to any band and without it, you barely have any rythm support besides the drummer.

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
I know what a fucking guitar solo is you piece of shit. Hell, there's bass solos too, if you listen to Rancid. And a song is NOT a guitar solo. And in most solos, the drummer also plays. I'm willing to bet you suck at playing guitar. By the way, you should learn to use proper spelling and grammar, you stupid motherfucker. AND, most songs actually don't have a solo these days, although more should. Go listen to Maxwell Murder by Rancid. It has an incredibly fast bass solo that NO ONE on here could play. And don't go saying bass is easy. It's easy to play ok ba$s but extremely hard to play it good.

Now fuck off, sir.
Pwnage.

dain84
01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Pwnage.
Reppage?

lutzkasong
01-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Reppage?
No, pwnage.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Well this kid is an idiot. Ignorant guitar players piss me off so much. "ohhhh bass is so easy I could play it in my sleep" and crap like that. If bass is so easy go pick one up and even attempt Axiom-Rancid. Saying a guitar solo makes a song is idiotic. Alot of stuff I listen to dont even have guitar solos. I tried a band with 2 bassists before. But the other guy was a beginner and it didnt turn out well. Im sure it could though.

Vivica
01-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Well this kid is an idiot. Ignorant guitar players piss me off so much. "ohhhh bass is so easy I could play it in my sleep" and crap like that. If bass is so easy go pick one up and even attempt Axiom-Rancid. Saying a guitar solo makes a song is idiotic. Alot of stuff I listen to dont even have guitar solos.

was about to say that, i have now banned him again for his comments, which frankly are stupid.

i pity his retarded 10 year old attitude.

SkateorElse
01-29-2006, 05:08 AM
I really hate ignoraant guitarists like you... people like you who have never tried bass always say shit like " ohh bass is so easy, just play guitar" I bet I could learn akk your guitar songs before you're fingers would get used to bass gafe strings. No please fuck off.

nefarious
01-29-2006, 05:36 AM
It'l be unique!