PDA

View Full Version : still experimenting with fingerpicking, need some theory help

Punkatoo
08-31-2012, 02:00 AM
i'm writing a very dreamy sounding song, but due to my limited musical knowledge (not knowing much past reading advanced drum rhythms) i find it hard to progress. basically, the more chords i decide to use, the harder it gets to stick with my original idea.

this is what i've got, please excuse the basic tabbing:
e=2—2—0—0—7
B=0—0—3—0—0
G=0—2—4—6—7
D=2—0—0—6—0
A=0—0—2—4—0
E=3—2—0—5—7

the last chord sounds right, but not exactly right. i know what i want to do with the song, but it's difficult getting all the pieces to come together. i eventually plan on changing the key/scale to sound much darker, to imitate a nightmare.

Punkatoo
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
bump niggers

Cookin Hamburger
09-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I played this, if I'm reading your caveman tab right, anyhow. I played 5 changes in a variety of rythms. I liked the sludge sound that rang out, a nice steady (slow) quarter or half note pace. I played it on a Fender, Frontman 2x12 in more drive, reverb at 6/10, bass 6/10, mid 3/10, treble 5/10, & mid contour engaged; volume was low at 2/10 (enough to piss off the neighbors), & drive set at 6/10, using a 7 string Squier (& before ya start going OOOOHHH YUCK, that's a pretty good guitar for the $).

Anyway, I can see why ya like the tune but I don't know how your playin' it, acoustic, clear, mic'd?...I don't know. How fast? ETC.

What's the style? Ambient, EMO, Metal, Thrash, Grunge; ya know, I just don't know.
:unsure:

Punkatoo
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
um, it's more about theory, less about what it's played through. i'm just now realizing that i forgot to add the part where i'm supposed to say "what other chords will work with this?"

unfun
09-07-2012, 12:05 AM
okay to be honest it sounds/looks like youre just playing random notes and hoping they sound good together... not trying to be an ass by any means but i don't understand what structure you are using or if you even have one.

as for building chord progressions and getting that dreamy or mysterious sound, what you can do is take simple chord progressions, change notes around to suspend/diminish/augment or whatever you want to sound like.

if i understand what youre looking for, you would want something sounding like this (probably doesnt sound all that well but i came up with this on the spot from breaking down other chords)

-------------2--------
--7--5--10--3--------------
--5--7--9---2----------------
--5--5--9---4----------------
--0--7--10--0-----------------
-------------------------

^ and finger pick that in whatever pattern you want. basically, if you know simple chord progressions, just mess around with them and you can get the sound you're looking for.

hope that sorta helps

Punkatoo
09-07-2012, 12:34 AM
being that i don't know much beyond rhythm, i usually write stuff based off of four or five chords by breaking them down into their individual notes. the chords are picked purely on the feel that they put out, because i learned pretty much everything through experimentation, not through imitation or anything.

i tried a "reverse chord finder", but it yielded nothing. can someone decipher what scale is used, so i could at least move beyond those chords?

Cookin Hamburger
09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
this is what i've got, please excuse the basic tabbing:
e=2—2—0—0—7
B=0—0—3—0—0
G=0—2—4—6—7
D=2—0—0—6—0
A=0—0—2—4—0
E=3—2—0—5—7

I took this ^ & played the upper end of the progression through a heavy reverb, slow delay, & light chorus. I played it painstakingly slow (at whole notes around 30-40bpm) so I could hear the break up & blend.

I then looped that ^ at around 60bpm (think--original--Black Sabbath, w/ Ozzy), & played w/ the lower end, in different rhythms patterns, on a clean amp w/ an enforcing med distorted amp (separated from the looped amp). Sounded good.

The pattern of yours I altered for looping looked like this for the most part, I deadened some of the open strings to get a flow:

-2-2-0-0-7-
-0-0-3-0-0-
-0-2-4-6-7-
---0---6-X-
-----------
------------

Because I don't speak theory & that's what ya are lookin' for, I'm outta here.

BTW--I didn't finger pick it I strummed it