PDA

View Full Version : Synth help

reptiskate52
08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
So I'm looking into buying a synth for some beat work. I'm really looking for something that is compact, 37-key would be ideal, have looping capability and sampling capability. I was looking at the Korg Kaossilator Pro, which has everything I need aside from the fact that I want a keyboard. So any suggestions?

Waveshaper
08-26-2012, 07:33 AM
What's your budget? Analog or digital? Do you want an actual synthesizer or something to create beats with?

reptiskate52
08-26-2012, 09:53 AM
My budget is ideally 400 or under. I will be making beats, but I really want versatility. I make personally really strange, experimental folk music, but I also work with some rappers. I'd prefer an analog, actual synthesizer (not fruity loops or some lame program), though I'm willing to look into the digital realm. Basically, a synthesizer with looping and basic sampling capabilities.

reptiskate52
08-26-2012, 09:56 AM
I was considering getting the Kaossilator, then waiting a bit and getting a MicroKorg or Micron. The two would go together perfectly, the Kaossilator handling the looping and sampling, while the keyboard synth can handle soloing, melodies for samples, etc.

Captain America
08-26-2012, 10:51 AM
I was considering getting the Kaossilator, then waiting a bit and getting a MicroKorg or Micron. The two would go together perfectly, the Kaossilator handling the looping and sampling, while the keyboard synth can handle soloing, melodies for samples, etc.

If you're really considering a duo like that, I would recommend a MicroKorg and Roland Sp404/303 combo.

I've never messed with an actual Kaossilator, but I've played a mini Kaossilator and Kaosspad, and both seemed to me like they had more features that were pure novelty than rather actually serving a purpose. Kind of like toys.

I looked into getting a Kaossilator of full size Kaosspad myself, but went with the Sp 404 instead. If you really just want it for sampling, looping, and effects, I would go with the Sp 404, then get the MicroKorg and let it handle all of the synth duties.

Thats just my two cents, as I have owned both an Sp 404 and MicroKorg, and can say that as a duo, they would probably satisfy all your needs. Not to mention the 404 is one of the most respected samplers out there.

Waveshaper
08-26-2012, 10:53 AM
My budget is ideally 400 or under. I will be making beats, but I really want versatility. I make personally really strange, experimental folk music, but I also work with some rappers. I'd prefer an analog, actual synthesizer (not fruity loops or some lame program), though I'm willing to look into the digital realm. Basically, a synthesizer with looping and basic sampling capabilities.
Digital does not necessarily mean that it's software. Anyways, the MicroKorg is indeed very great. Maybe get a little Roland sampler with it. I'm getting a MicroKorg pretty soon myself

edit: damn son ^

PlanB
08-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Check craigslist for microkorgs, i've seen them for like 200 bucks in good condition.

reptiskate52
08-26-2012, 07:15 PM
If you're really considering a duo like that, I would recommend a MicroKorg and Roland Sp404/303 combo.

I've never messed with an actual Kaossilator, but I've played a mini Kaossilator and Kaosspad, and both seemed to me like they had more features that were pure novelty than rather actually serving a purpose. Kind of like toys.

I looked into getting a Kaossilator of full size Kaosspad myself, but went with the Sp 404 instead. If you really just want it for sampling, looping, and effects, I would go with the Sp 404, then get the MicroKorg and let it handle all of the synth duties.

Thats just my two cents, as I have owned both an Sp 404 and MicroKorg, and can say that as a duo, they would probably satisfy all your needs. Not to mention the 404 is one of the most respected samplers out there.
I wouldn't ever go with a regular Kaoss Pad or original Kaossilator. The Kaossilator pro has four separate loop tracks, so you can actually build beats, not just a single loop.

I'm really leaning towards the MicroKorg/Kaossilator combo as my ideal setup.

atmboy136
08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
My buddy has a Kaossilator Pro and while it's fun to play around with, if you're serious about making tunes, it's just not worth it. It is really good to use when you're DJing though, which it doesn't sound like you are trying to do.

reptiskate52
08-27-2012, 04:53 AM
My buddy has a Kaossilator Pro and while it's fun to play around with, if you're serious about making tunes, it's just not worth it. It is really good to use when you're DJing though, which it doesn't sound like you are trying to do.
My main goal is soundscapes, backdrop sort of rhythmic synth tones and shit to put a guitar or other instrument over, along with some hip-hoppish beats. Any good for that?

Waveshaper
08-27-2012, 05:31 AM
My main goal is soundscapes, backdrop sort of rhythmic synth tones and shit to put a guitar or other instrument over, along with some hip-hoppish beats. Any good for that?
Soundscapes? Use software, trust me. You need A LOT of effects and editing possibilities (think timestretching, automating various parameters) to create a good soundscape. You're also going to need to layer a lot, both audio and midi. You can obviously pair this with hardware use, that will only make it better. If you want to create soundscapes with hardware only, it's not going to be great unless you're willing to lay down a shit ton of money. You said before that you didn't want to use "some lame program", but I highly reccomend you do.

Just get the MicroKORG and Kaossilator and hook it up to Ableton, download some Vsts, get some samplepacks, maybe do some field recording.

reptiskate52
08-27-2012, 05:43 AM
I've been doing some pretty gnarly backdrops with my fucking monster pedalboard and an RC-3 looper. The loops always sound pretty wild, really organic, but I'm looking for something more synthy. Effect wise, I'm a nut for hardware, I'm sort of a purist. I'm not against using programs, as much as I have a lot more fun doing it with my hardware. There's limits of course, and it's a hell of a lot more costly. I meant "lame program" not as in you can't get a lot of great sounds with programs, but moreso that I just prefer hardware a lot more. I'll give it a shot I guess.

So yeah, I think I'm going to get the Kaossilator this Friday and then the MicroKorg in a month or so, since I'm moving out soon and shouldn't be blowing all my money on more equipment.

Waveshaper
08-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Oh cool, I get you. Yeah you're right hardware is definitely more fun. I didn't know you had a guitar/pedalboard and shit. If I were you I'd just jam it out on your hardware, but definitely give recording into Ableton a shot because you can do great stuff with it.

reptiskate52
08-27-2012, 06:13 AM
I've been making music for like 6 or 7 years, I play a lot of things, have an obnoxious amount of equipment. I'm just looking for something new

atmboy136
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but check out the Korg Electribe series. I have seen people make some really awesome tunes that sound a bit like what you're looking for. They have a few different Electribe models, but the ESX-1 can be used as a sampler, drum machine, and also to make synths. I've never actually played with one, but there was a guy at this festival I went to like 3 weeks ago, and he had like 10 Electribes set up at his campsite (that was his live setup) and he just blew my mind.. It was pretty cool!

reptiskate52
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I got the Kaossilator. I love it. Kaossilator jam - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVaK_0QofXM)

volcom flame
09-12-2012, 03:42 PM
i have an MPK 49 and i love it. works great with ableton.