PDA

View Full Version : Amp Help. Posi for good advice

Captain America
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
My birthday is soon and Im about seven years overdue on getting a new guitar amp. I've had the same shitty peavey since the day I got my first electric guitar.

The last few years I've just been playing through my stereo monitors via my audio interface, but I'm starting to play house shows and I don't really like borrowing other peoples stuff.

I have no idea where to start. As someone who's been playing guitar for a good while, I know nearly nothing about amps. Dont really have a preference with brand. Was considering mainly between Vox and Fender just because I know they make good stuff.

However, I'm looking for something that would sound good when used to play bass too , because I also play bass in a band. I know you can use just about any amp for a bass too, but I'm talking about something that would have the best of both worlds for guitar and bass.

I dont know what my price limit really is, but I probably wouldn't be willing to spend much over 350-400. Hopefully that isn't a problem. posi for thorough and detailed recommendations covering specs and what not.

treflippers!
08-12-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't know too much about amps but I can tell you right now your bass will sound like shit through a guitar amp, even after fiddling with all the eq's.

skasianangel8910
08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
My advice is, go to your local guitar store and try out a bunch of different amps. See which one you think sounds best with your guitar and the type of music you typically play in your band. There really isn't a BEST amp out there. It's mostly all personal preference. Make sure you mess around with distortion and the different volumes before you buy because some amps will sound beautiful with low key stuff, but when you crank it up, it just sounds like metallic junk. No matter what style of music you play, each amp is going to sound a bit different depending on what guitar you have. So just ask the store clerks a bunch of questions, they'll be glad to help, and try out a bunch of different amps in your price range.
Also, don't focus too much on all the name brands if you aren't willing to spend more than $400. Their amps are good, of course, but to get a good one, most likely they'll cost a fortune. I've seen some brands that don't get a lot of hype that sound just as good. But, if you really want that Fender Deluxe Reissue amp you've heard that is super dependable, sounds clean, and is very awesome in general, go for it! No one's stopping you!
I don't know much about basses but the times I've heard them being played through electric guitar amps, they don't sound to great. I think you're better off getting two different amps, It might be a hassle to bring around, but if you really care about the sound quality, It'll be worth it. Like, i said, ask someone else for bass amp recommendations.

Experience: 5 years acoustic, 2 years electric. I play at school talent shows, recitals, and the occasional school concerts with my band. (Couple of friends who are amazing at the drums and piano.) Don't look at the amount of years, I'm still young... :-P

igrindtwinkies
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
find a bass amp that your guitar sounds good through.

Captain America
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bassman59LTD?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CJ38k_SH77ECFcddtgodfzwAXA

Might have found what I need. Now I just have to drop a grand more than planned....

the_unknown_soldier
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
I got a Vox VT 120 last month, and I can't stress how much I fucking love it.

It's tube, but has a bunch of modeled pedal effects available that actually sound decent. You can crank it super loud and the tone doesn't suffer, but it also serves as a great practice amp. It retails at about $530, but I got mine for $475 plus tax, and it was worth every penny.

Edit: Nevermind, just read the bass part. Unless your sticking to a pretty consistent tone through both instruments, I wouldn't really suggest relying on one amp for both.

zibafu
08-19-2012, 04:12 AM
haha this is why you dont plug a bass into a guitar amp

Blackout (RĂ©mi GAILLARD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObFRvk5loM)

Captain America
08-25-2012, 08:29 AM
You can buy a vintage Bassman for way cheaper than that (70's silverface ones are actually pretty cheap)

but yeah, just buy two amps

Ill check out the other vintage bassmans, but I'm really not trying to buy two amps. The one I posted is pretty much made for my situation and I've read up on it.

As far as tone goes, I'm not searching for something completely different on each instrument, other than what would sound good respective to their different frequencies. It seems like the 59 reissue (and possibly other bassmans) could handle it.