PDA

View Full Version : fingerpicking guitar

Punkatoo
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
First Song - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ro8EYAY-r0&list=HL1339717987&feature=mh_lolz)

at my sister's house, just dicking around. i'm not a guitarist though, this was just for fun.

bobziggen
06-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Not bad. Nice and mellow. Everytime I end up messing around with my guitar I never know how to end it.

Punkatoo
06-16-2012, 10:51 AM
i did wind up finishing it. i think i'll rerecord it when i can, and i'm already thinking of new stuff to come up with.

i'm pretty happy with myself because i learned how to fingerpick in just two or three days. alls i did was sit and watch TV twiddling my fingers in a pattern. and i learned how to use the ringfinger too, which a lot of people leave out.

Snake
06-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDidZue9BIA)

JackTheBoardDestroyer
06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Punkatoo: nice choice!

Punkatoo
06-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Full.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ToZehF9WKo&feature=share)

a bit more to it. i wish i was more consistent.

bobziggen
06-20-2012, 06:26 PM
So now that you've got a full length guitar part, are you gonna do anything else with it? Its got an Iron and Wine vibe to it.

Punkatoo
06-20-2012, 08:58 PM
i've got a friend who plays bass who can come up with some really nice stuff to go with it, but i want him to do hand percussion or some cymbal stuff to go with it. he's the inspiration actually, here's his stuff:
Strawbry - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7RjNqtIN4)

it's really basic what i'm doing, just a few alternating chords with a few changes in the time signature. starts at 3/4, changes to 4/4 counted as 123 123 12 with a swung feel, then to straight 4/4 counted the same. i didn't mean for it to be complicated, more like a test of my ability seeing as i took to it very quickly and i've been wanting to do more lighthearted acoustic music. i know i can come up with some really nice stuff with this guy, and i think that it'd be good to keep collaborating with him and go through with an actual song.

Tony
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Interesting chords and the playing goes finely, although you could work out on the consistency of your playing a bit. It's understandable that if you don't originally play the instrument that it'll sound a bit uncertain, pretty much like my piano playing does(even when one hits all the notes properly). The sound quality is terrible yeah, but I think the song would sound pretty good when recorded properly.

Just something to think about: I'd advice not to anchor your pinky on the body of the guitar, technique wise. Like one of my main influences, Mikael Åkerfeldt does it too I think, but it's not advicable since it basically limits the movement of your hand and takes away an extra finger from those situations you really could use it. In classical guitar playing where technical education is extremely strict it's forbidden even to anchor your pinky like that, then again it's kinda funny that in classical guitar your pinky pretty much isn't used in playing at all! But if it works for you keep it, just something I noted.

Nice playing anyway.

Punkatoo
06-22-2012, 08:59 AM
i don't usually play like that, i rest my palm against the bridge so that i'm given a point where my hand can pivot easily while my pinky remains curled. i actually prefer playing more towards the bridge for a tinnier timbre. i hope to get good enough to the point where i can start playing celtic sounding musics, since i love stuff like that.

bobziggen
06-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I came up with some dark, haunting stuff. But its very repetitive so I'll try to throw in some other chords to spice it up. I'll record it and post it here if I ever figure it out.

Punkatoo
06-28-2012, 10:25 AM
yeah man, do it. i'm getting more interested in guitar now, i've been surfing youtube looking for videos on mandolins, classicals, banjo, sitar, etc.

bobziggen
06-28-2012, 08:26 PM
I'd like to get a hold of a sitar just to fuck around with it. I have no idea how it works. I mean basically a guitar, but how many strings does it have? Theres tuning pegs all up and down the neck.