PDA

View Full Version : Genres

The One Who Once Was
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
What the hell is the big deal about this shit now? Who really cares about all these boundaries in music? If the music appeals to you, just listen to it. Why does it ALWAYS need a label? I can see labeling for organization purposes in stores and other reasons, but why for everything else? Who cares if something is supposively "emo" if I like it, I'm going to listen to it. I don't care if it's what you people think is emo, or what someone else says is punk. I call it music.

Why make such dinstinct boundaries and decide what you will and will not listen to because of them? It does not make sense. There is always something good out there, but you are only restrciting this by saying that all rap sucks, or that all modern music is bad. So, quit with these, "OMG!! THEY ARE A SHITTY GENERIC EMO BAND!!" Just say, "I'm not feeling that band." pr something. There's no need to label everything these days, even though we like to.

Vivica
09-14-2005, 10:37 AM
although i agree with you on alot of that i disagree in parts as well...

thing is, its useful to be able to put things into genre's, alot of prog music for example could go under 10 different genre's, but can be called just Prog...

and its easy to say i like...insert genre here.

download some stuff by Mr.Bungle, then try tell me what genre that song would fit into, other than prog! :D

silent_riot_society
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Let Fire Fall
What the hell is the big deal about this shit now? Who really cares about all these boundaries in music? If the music appeals to you, just listen to it. Why does it ALWAYS need a label? I can see labeling for organization purposes in stores and other reasons, but why for everything else? Who cares if something is supposively "emo" if I like it, I'm going to listen to it. I don't care if it's what you people think is emo, or what someone else says is punk. I call it music.

Why make such dinstinct boundaries and decide what you will and will not listen to because of them? It does not make sense. There is always something good out there, but you are only restrciting this by saying that all rap sucks, or that all modern music is bad. So, quit with these, "OMG!! THEY ARE A SHITTY GENERIC EMO BAND!!" Just say, "I'm not feeling that band." pr something. There's no need to label everything these days, even though we like to.

I don't know. I'm wondering the same thing about the social ladder. /:-S

timorousme
09-14-2005, 11:02 AM

This is coming from the person that told me "None of those bands are emo, dumbass."

I agree with you though. If you look at my music list, you'll probably be like "What the fuck?" because my taste is so wide-spread. I don't say "I like post-punk" or "I like indie rock." I just listen to what I listen to.

The One Who Once Was
09-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Vivica

thing is, its useful to be able to put things into genre's, alot of prog music for example could go under 10 different genre's, but can be called just Prog...

download some stuff by Mr.Bungle, then try tell me what genre that song would fit into, other than prog! :D

I'm saying quit with all the different genres that keep popping up. Like classifying all modern bands as emo.

Slapdown
09-14-2005, 02:21 PM
I need to categorize my ipod somehow...

Klausfloride
09-14-2005, 02:35 PM

hey mr. bungle is awesome, but primus is so unique it is actually reconized as a genre, on musimatch when you scroll through genres primus is listed, and primus is the closest to primus. it could also be unbekkant.

Genres are helpfull in finding new bit, i don't really listen to just one genre.

timorousme
09-14-2005, 05:16 PM

I'm saying quit with all the different genres that keep popping up. Like classifying all modern bands as emo.

As I said before, there is a difference between emo in 1980's and emo today. MCR, Taking Back Sunday, Thrice, and stuff like this is the third wave of emo. Even though it's not like the old emo that you're thinking of, it's still emo.