PDA

View Full Version : Metal vs. Parents

Kikkosk8ordie
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Well, I'm doing hoemwrok, and can't take the time to really explain this that much, but I was talking to afriend about it, so this is a copy and paste form facebook.

my dad found some metal songs on his laptop from a while ago
i thought i deleted it, but either way, he found some pretty brutal song names
and most of them are bands i haven't listened to in forever
not even on my itunes
so he called my mom and i in to talk
and they want me to stop listening to metal and all that
because it's "demonic"
and my mom thinks the lyrics and the vocals can get in your subconscious
and influence you
,that producers put things in the music to hide messages
demonic messages
and i explained why i listen to it
the main reason being the musicality,
and they claim you can get it in other music, which you cant
and i showed necrophagist to get the point across
and that must have made it worse, since they didn't know the vocals i listen to were that brutal
and my mom freaked out, saying it sounded like satan and made it an absolute
that i can't listen to metal anymore
and the way i handled it
was pretty bad
i raised my voice too much, i wasn't thinking very clearly
not enough to get good points across
and now my dad wants to talk about it again, sicne he was working and wasn't really in the conversation
so i need to handle it better this time definitely
but i'm not sure what points i have, since my mom has pretty much dismissed it at this point

if you need more info, just comment

EDIT: ALso, I showed my mom veil of maya lyrics (http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858819551/), which if you read them, are mostly very positive, especially the ones linked. When she read them, she said "They need to believing in God, not themselves (I'm secretly agnostic) and that they didn't mean believing in yourself in a good way". So that's what I'm dealing with.

Thanks a lot if anyone has any advice.

skategio
03-24-2011, 05:21 PM
yea ive had this with my parents but i didnt have much trouble convincing them to let me listen to it because i listen to christian metal(like For Today,In the Midst of Lions,etc)
i showed them the lyrics and they found it alright but my mom is still kinda iffy about it

Kikkosk8ordie
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I didn't even know For Today was Christian, they're pretty good. But in that case, I'll show them August Burns Red and As I Lay Dying lyrics

The One Who Once Was
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
your parents are just doing you good. dont listen to metal.

MORICCA
03-24-2011, 05:44 PM
That's not even metal......it's just gay

objective
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
fuck a metal.

and yo parents.

unfun
03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Dismembering - to chop her body I begin
Bastard - bastard inside
Disfiguring - abdominal wall is opening
Offal - come to sight

Malintention, to chop the foetus I intent, hateful am I
Vile malodours, rancid odours I perceive
I'm getting high

Hate and repulsion is that
Which strengthens my intent
Fetal incising causes premature decease
Loathing am I to commit
Infanticide in unborn state
To tear out the foetus, my aggressions do increase

Mutilate the stillborn
Mutilate the stillborn
Mutilate the stillborn
Mutilate the stillborn

Dismanteling - excoriate the dead unborn
Vile waste - vile waste inside is
Festering - prenatal fluids I adore
Offal - come to sight

Mutilation, the stillborn body chopped in half
Hateful am I
Disemboweling,
The torso drained of tepid bowels
I'm getting high

thats not brutal its just retarded

Punkatoo
03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
listen to punk.

the crack rock steady group is always a good place to start. or NOFX, gang green, guttermouth, common enemy, etc.

hell, you could even get into straightedge stuff. lyrics from a black flag song:

Party down, party down
Drinkin' til you can't even see
Fill your car with your buddies
And wrap it around a tree

Make sure to tell yourself that this is cool
And make sure to tell yourself that you have no choice
And make sure to tell your friends that they drive you to it
And that you can quit anytime
rollins isn't even sxe, he just saw negativity and made songs about it.

drizzle
03-24-2011, 07:10 PM
the crack rock steady group is always a good place to start.

probably the worst advice ever seen on this board

either way

quit being a fag and listeing to faggot metal, fag.

or if you want to continue being a fag,

tell your parents to fuck off, pussy.

OldSchoolDude
03-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Just agree with your parents and listen to it anyway.

Just don't go off the deep end and kill yourself or others because that makes it harder for the next generation to listen to whatever crap is being fed them. You're going to look back on that music and wonder WTF anyway!

In all seriousness, looks like you get another shot with your dad. Just have your game plan together - what you plan on telling him - and reason with him. Act like an adult, get treated like an adult.

OldSchoolDude
03-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Just tell your dad you don't take literally what the lyrics are saying.

It's all for shock value. they do it to piss off parents and then forbid their kids from listening to it, which makes them want to listen to it even more.

Tell him it's a faze and that you're getting into punk rock next! That should go over just as well! lol!

Punkatoo
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
probably the worst advice ever seen on this board
i was only serious about rollins

insomnia
03-24-2011, 07:53 PM
1. Find better music
2. Secretly agnostic? srsly don't be a pussy, tell them your beliefs

OldSchoolDude
03-24-2011, 07:57 PM
1. Find better music

You might want to save that one until later, when you're older.

Guessing the OP is a relatively young kid. Look, your parents are the boss until your 18, when you can tell them to fuck off and they'll do the same to you.

Best advice: Choose your battles. Music and religion are probably two you don't want to mess with your parents on.

Not now, anyway.

RUFNcereal
03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
HAHAHA fag cant even listen to the music he likes, & if he could ..HE'D STILL BE A FAG GAHAHAGGAAGAGAGAGA

Sk8maniac
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
What exactly is stopping you from listening to the songs? You're parents might dissaprove, but I'll bet a billion bucks they wouldn't know how to get rid of the songs from your ipod.

Videon
03-24-2011, 10:04 PM
It's not giving a fuck in this kind of situation that defines metal. Just give less fucks, and turn the volume up.

adamreid1
03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Your parents are what I think you call 'pinners'.

kertacodude
03-25-2011, 06:59 AM
here's what I have to say to that

YouTube - Sacred reich - Who's to blame (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GozbMoAkEqc)

P4RK3R
03-25-2011, 07:08 AM
look at your avatar. its something cut into a chest. thats gross. who the fuck wouldnt think that was gross? it isnt normal. listen to your parents. quit listening to trash 666HAILSATANpentagramsRcool shit. god that shit infuriates me.

Waveshaper
03-25-2011, 07:24 AM
i have
a very hard time
reading your
talk like this
and its
annoying as
fuck

tsixe_sneila
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
i had this problem when i was a youngster, my parents would even steal my cd's and shit. but as videon said i just gave less fucks and listened to it anyway.

Kikkosk8ordie
03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh, I'm definitely going to keep listening to what I want to regardless of what they decide. That's impossible for them to stop, I know much more about computers than either of them do. I just don't want to have to deal with doing it in a kind of secrecy or being grounded, or not being able to go to shows (though I could lie about who's playing, I prefer not to lie unless it'll do less damage then telling the truth). I just don't want to have to put up with that shit, so I'd rather convince them now.

Also I listen to much more music that isn't metal than is, (1/5 of my itunes library is metal), so it's not like it's consuming me or anything. I guess I'll make the best points I can while staying as calm as possible, and if it goes wrong, listen anyway.

Thanks to those who actually helped.

EDIT: unfun, I totally agree, the vast majority of death metal lyrics are shit, which makes it all the better that I can't hear them.

insomnia
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh, I'm definitely going to keep listening to what I want to regardless of what they decide. That's impossible for them to stop, I know much more about computers than either of them do. I just don't want to have to deal with doing it in a kind of secrecy or being grounded, or not being able to go to shows (though I could lie about who's playing, I prefer not to lie unless it'll do less damage then telling the truth). I just don't want to have to put up with that shit, so I'd rather convince them now.

Also I listen to much more music that isn't metal than is, (1/5 of my itunes library is metal), so it's not like it's consuming me or anything. I guess I'll make the best points I can while staying as calm as possible, and if it goes wrong, listen anyway.

Thanks to those who actually helped.

EDIT: unfun, I totally agree, the vast majority of death metal lyrics are shit, which makes it all the better that I can't hear them.
http://www.gogaminggiant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/facepalm.jpg

boodige
03-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Probability is you won't like metal anymore by the time you're 18.

Chupacabra.
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
1. Find better music

fuck that. i'm 18 and honestly say that I do what i please and say my opinion to anyone, because i'm always right. But I would never, ever, no matter what the circumstance tell my mother I don't believe in god. She would freak the fuck out, she is super christian jesus l<3ver and would disown me as her son.

Occupant
03-26-2011, 07:38 AM
veil of maya? metal?

igrindtwinkies
03-26-2011, 10:36 AM
fuck that. i'm 18 and honestly say that I do what i please and say my opinion to anyone, because i'm always right. But I would never, ever, no matter what the circumstance tell my mother I don't believe in god. She would freak the fuck out, she is super christian jesus l<3ver and would disown me as her son.

Christian parents are kind of crushed when they find this out becaause they think their son is going to hell. Its best to just not mess with delusional people.

Kikkosk8ordie
03-26-2011, 10:44 AM
veil of maya? metal?
What, you have another suggestion for one of the only unique modern metal bands out anymore?

iamsolate
03-26-2011, 12:55 PM
listen to indie and be an atheist, not an agnostic pussy. hipster statusssssss

g00Db0y8
03-26-2011, 01:03 PM
stop taking their shit and listen to what you want.

insomnia
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
listen to indie and be an atheist, not an agnostic pussy. hipster statusssssss
agnostic atheist, umad bro?

Christian parents are kind of crushed when they find this out becaause they think their son is going to hell. Its best to just not mess with delusional people.

+1
I mean, I've told my parents/family, I'm glad they're open minded and not some HURRDURR ONLY I IZ RIGHT kind of people

Valo Negroth
03-27-2011, 07:30 PM
*to post my lyrics to Vaginal Mush or not*

Tell them to pull the cross out their ass its just music and the only people that let the music affect them should be shot in the face with a shotgun at point blank range! Ive listened to death metal and played violent video games since I was 8 I have killed anyone and the only person I always seem to hurt myself.

What you should do is download this song and leave it on your desktop just to see your parents shit a brick
YouTube - Deicide Fuck Your God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rjx5G_5opM)

Trust me you could have Cannibal Corpse's Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt and I Cum Blood and they will let those fly out the window and forget them.

The One Who Once Was
03-27-2011, 07:31 PM
*to post my lyrics to Vaginal Mush or not*

Tell them to pull the cross out their ass its just music and the only people that let the music affect them should be shot in the face with a shotgun at point blank range! Ive listened to death metal and played violent video games since I was 8 I have killed anyone and the only person I always seem to hurt myself.

What you should do is download this song and leave it on your desktop just to see your parents shit a brick
YouTube - Deicide Fuck Your God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rjx5G_5opM)

Trust me you could have Cannibal Corpse's Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's Cunt and I Cum Blood and they will let those fly out the window and forget them.

you're pretty much a poster child for why parents should not let their kids listen to metal.

Sucks at skating
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
best song to show your parents.

Valo Negroth
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
you're pretty much a poster child for why parents should not let their kids listen to metal.

To be honest Im like everyone that listens to metal everyone had a black metal period when thats what they listened too. I don't really even listen to metal that much other then Six Feet Under and every now and then old Cradle of Filth when they where good.

I listen to rock mostly now like Kagerou and The Studs. You can't find anything wrong with listening to this, which I promise is nothing like metal its what rock should sound like. Nice, relaxed, good beat, everything is better then any other rock band Ive ever heard besides Kagerou.
YouTube - the studs - "after this introduction, Natally" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC4Mab3FiDw)

freoskater
03-28-2011, 04:51 AM
1.rename song file names
2.parents don't know its metal
3.???????
4.profit
You also don't know the names of the songs :P
Dude just listen to it anyway fuck your parents. Get an ipod lol

bobs
03-29-2011, 06:13 PM
sounds to me like your parents aren't okay with you expressing yourself the way you want to. Find a subtle way to make them understand, and some parents never do.

bubbleboy
03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Listen to the blues and jazz.

TheDoctor
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
They're just looking out for your best interest. Musicians (especially metal musicians) are, in fact, in league with Satan and have to eat drugs before they can play even a single note. Your parents were wise to stop you.

Zero_Blood
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
lol my parents used to listen to metal, so theyre all for it