PDA

View Full Version : The Itunes Generation

Jamrock
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
There might have already been a post like this.

I want to know if anyone follows this generation. If you purchase music by means of the internet (itunes, amazon, or otherwise). If you purchase music or listen to music not using a computer. If you support record stores and physical means of getting music. What are your thoughts on the conveniences of itunes and how you use it as an application to your music.

Personally i do not purchase music on the online. Generally the only time i do is if i purchase an actual CD or LP and they send it to me via physical mail. I mostly buy my music at local record stores. The convenience i see in itunes and amazon is the fact that you can preview music and decide whether to buy it. If you only like a particular song out of an album then you could by that song without wasting money on the other songs you don't like. I do upload my CDs to my itunes library and use an iPod for trips and such but generally i listen to it on my record player or stereo.

Xansbt
02-20-2011, 12:44 PM
why support record stores anyway? I don't get why people think they're intrinsically better than buying from wal-mart or online or whatever, most of the people I've met who work/run record stores are dumb as fuck.

Dr. Science
02-20-2011, 12:45 PM
why support record stores anyway? I don't get why people think they're intrinsically better than buying from wal-mart or online or whatever, most of the people i've met who work/run record stores are dumb as fuck.

:-o

Xansbt
02-20-2011, 12:49 PM
fuck record stores, and fuck mom and pop stores too. I fucking hate listening to people talk about "oh dude don't go to mcdonalds go to this shitty little hole in the wall and pay 8$ for a burnt burger and soggy fries" fuck that. I eat at McDonalds and download all my music.

pinkeh
02-20-2011, 12:52 PM
i'll buy physical music if its on vinyl or cassette tapes directly from touring musicians because i know what its like to be on the road and need gas/food money but that's all. fuck cds. i can only listen to music on my laptop because i can't afford an ipod and am too much of an apple zombie to own any other mp3 player.

i would never buy music from a record store or from walmart or from the internet ever. just straight from musicians.

dtj16
02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
I hate buying music/videos on the internet.
If I'm spending money on something, I want to be able to hold it.

I do buy alot of vinyl/cds still, same with dvds.
I guess I'm lucky though, Austin has like 7 really good record shops.

And I agree with the last thing pinkeh said.
If I'm going to see a band live, I'll try to help them out by buying shit there.
I've gotten alot of cds/vinyls/shirts from the concerts I've gone too.

If i could buy all my music from touring bands, I totally would

xninjadude03
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
fuck record stores, and fuck mom and pop stores too. I fucking hate listening to people talk about "oh dude don't go to mcdonalds go to this shitty little hole in the wall and pay 8$ for a burnt burger and soggy fries" fuck that. I eat at McDonalds and download all my music.
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/u_mad0.jpg

Jamrock
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
yeah, i also agree with buying music from touring musicians. I'm in a band, we only get to play free gigs but i can understand the touring issues and need for money. It also just shows great support for your favourite musicians.

Resident Patient
02-20-2011, 01:12 PM
I eat at mcdonalds and download all my music too

unfun
02-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I hate buying music/videos on the internet.
If I'm spending money on something, I want to be able to hold it.

I do buy alot of vinyl/cds still, same with dvds.
I guess I'm lucky though, Austin has like 7 really good record shops.

And I agree with the last thing pinkeh said.
If I'm going to see a band live, I'll try to help them out by buying shit there.
I've gotten alot of cds/vinyls/shirts from the concerts I've gone too.

If i could buy all my music from touring bands, I totally would
pretty much this, i don't think i listen to any bands that charge money for downloads anyway. the only time i buy music is if its on vinyl, i think its more fun.

but fuck record stores though, theres only 1 in my area and it sucks dick (they charge 40 bucks for passion pit's manners lp. thats how much dick they suck) so i always get records at shows/from the label online.

pinkeh
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
pretty much this, i don't think i listen to any bands that charge money for downloads anyway. the only time i buy music is if its on vinyl, i think its more fun.

but fuck record stores though, theres only 1 in my area and it sucks dick (they charge 40 bucks for passion pit's manners lp. thats how much dick they suck) so i always get records at shows/from the label online.

to be fair i'd probably pay 40 bucks for the chunk of change EP, but that shop owner is clearly a dumbass because manners is hardly worth a third of that.

Viva_La_Fiesta
02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I buy most of my music form Itunes or Emusic. I never download stuff for free. If I really like an artist, I'll go buy thier CDs, and if I REALLY like an artist I'll get the vinyl.

Jamrock
02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
that's similar to my thinking in terms of vinyl. Generally i always buy a CD but if i really like them i'll also buy the vinyl.

Also i agree with Vlad. If you're paying money for something you're going to need a physical copy of that. Say all your music is mp3. If you're computer gets fried or something and all your library is gone, you don't have a physical tangible way to replace that music, video, etc. If you had like CDs you could easily reload all your music. That's why if i do get mp3s, i make sure to burn it to a disc. That way i'm protected.

DELUSIONBRAND
02-20-2011, 03:07 PM
My opinion is that it always comes to down the almighty dollar - Who wants to spend $15 on a CD that has only a few good songs?

Supposably Apple barely makes any money with all the costs and cuts in profit that goes into running itunes

This is mind boggling - $75 Million Fucking Dollars to run iTunes a Month (http://www.cultofmac.com/itunes-could-cost-apple-over-2-billion-a-year-to-run-by-2012/58699)

The One Who Once Was
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
As far as electronic music and shit goes, I think the internet is great. Especially now that sites like Beatport are popular and overtaking the iTunes craze because you can buy basically CD quality tracks for same price as an iTunes track. All the remixes and original mixes and everything from most of the good electronic artists (across all genres) are harder to comeby in store and MUCH easier to just get off the internet. plus yuou can pick and choose what songs you want and save money.

and as far as the losing all your music, if your smart you have extra hard drives to back it up. i have my music backed up in two different locations. one of which is an external hard drive i only use for music and only start up to load new music onto it and reorganize the folders. that way if hard drive A fails, i should have a second back up to fall to.

The One Who Once Was
02-20-2011, 04:41 PM
to be fair i'd probably pay 40 bucks for the chunk of change EP, but that shop owner is clearly a dumbass because manners is hardly worth a third of that.

fuck yea to this post

Fudopi
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Honestly I download LOTS of music illegally. But 90% of the time it's rare/hard to find, or it's music that artists give for free anyways.

If it's a widely available album from an artist I like, I try to go to the store and buy it.

and if I ever meet an artist selling their CD in person, I almost always buy it, even if I've never heard of them, just because I respect the fact that they built something they have enough confidence in to share with total strangers face to face. And I'm sure most of them definitely need the few dollars. The fact that I'll probably be in the same situation eventually makes me do it too.

drowning_fish
02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
i buy used ones off amazon for <$1 and then tell everyone i support artists

Jamrock
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM
i guess what it is for most people is that nowadays in the 21st century, the internet is the most used way to get music whether you buy digital mp3s or order physical forms of music of the internet (CDs, Vinyl, etc.). I'm not really that concerned about record stores. It's just convenient to go get your music all at once rather than wait for it to be shipped (if you prefer tangible copies over digital because you can instantly obtain music off the internet). Really the only mp3s i have are those when people give me itunes cards as a gift or if artists offer free mp3s. I never illegally obtain music.

Dr. Science
02-20-2011, 05:41 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ql7vgo.jpg

awesome album

drowning_fish
02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
i guess what it is for most people is that nowadays in the 21st century, the internet is the most used way to get music whether you buy digital mp3s or order physical forms of music of the internet (CDs, Vinyl, etc.). I'm not really that concerned about record stores. It's just convenient to go get your music all at once rather than wait for it to be shipped (if you prefer tangible copies over digital because you can instantly obtain music off the internet). Really the only mp3s i have are those when people give me itunes cards as a gift or if artists offer free mp3s. I never illegally obtain music.

"but," i may ask, "how can your moral compass stay so true in such a world? how do you not succumb to desire? but most of all: how may i become such as you? o my heart, i have sinned and god knows, i have felt the sting of sin - mediafire, that devil's playground, that satanist's breeding ground... yes, i am destined for hell, but perhaps i may repent: teach me, o lord, free me from the clutches of these terrible swedes and their terrible file hosting sites. o lord o god o highest one. o... Jamrock."

i may. but i won't. cause i steal everything and i loves it.

Daniel_Harry
02-21-2011, 01:40 AM
I mostly buy CD's, because I like 'owning' my music, and I like having a physical copy. I download music if im say, going to a concert of theirs/that they are supporting on and I dont know enough of their stuff and I wanna know it when I see them. Then when I get home I delete it and slowly buy the CD's if I like it.

Turboz
02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
I buy CDs for the quality/album art.

Darxide
02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
I buy the CD's for most of the reasons already mentioned,
I like having an actual 'thing', and the artwork, booklet etc...
It's usually cheaper than the digital version, which is fucked up!
I can rip it to MP3 and use on my iPhone, PC, car etc...

TheDoctor
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I do not pay for data except possibly for an internet connection. However most bands I listen don't care if you download them and also aren't available to purchase downloads from in the first place. CDs don't really come up very often, they just seem cheap. Good for demos but for an actual release records just seem like more of a finished product.

hanyo66
02-21-2011, 05:18 PM
I bought one CD in the past 6 years, at least, and it was My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, because I will support Kanye until I die. Other than that, I download all of my shit. I do burn CD's for in my car since I don't want to get a different head unit, but I don't buy CD's anymore.

Fudopi
02-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I bought one CD in the past 6 years, at least, and it was My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, because I will support Kanye until I die. Other than that, I download all of my shit. I do burn CD's for in my car since I don't want to get a different head unit, but I don't buy CD's anymore.

his first 4 cd's were all released in the past 6 (well, 7 now) years too.

hanyo66
02-21-2011, 05:50 PM
yes you're right, my statement was inaccurate haha. Besides Kanye CD's, I've bought none other!

Ramen
02-21-2011, 06:27 PM
If a band releases something for free, I'll buy for a digital or hard copy of it.

hanyo66
02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
If a band releases something for free, I'll buy for a digital or hard copy of it.

lol wut?

Skateselect
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
i download almost all of my music, i dont care too much. if i didnt, the band wouldnt get any money from me still because i just wouldnt get the music. at least someones happy (me).

Occupant
02-21-2011, 07:01 PM
i buy vinyls occasionally but i don't have an ipod or anything so i don't see the point in even downloading music when i can listen to all of it on last.fm or youtube

Shockwave
02-21-2011, 07:03 PM
I usually download music, although I gotta admit I always prefer to buy an actual CD rather than downloading it. I wish I had a record player though, I would play vinyl so much.

GimmickSkateCo
02-22-2011, 10:24 AM
i like to have copys of my music that i can hold in my hand......and i-tunes is just a pain in the ass to use sometimes....if i need any single songs on my ipod ill go ahead n get it....but full albums, ill go to the store and get.

Ramen
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
lol wut?

They're just putting their name out there, feel like giving them a 3 buck boost or something.

brokenheadphone
02-23-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm older, and probably own around 2500+ CDs. Most of my listening is on mp3/Ipod these days because I just don't have time to sit around listening to music these days. I rarely buy digital formats because I like to control the encoding process myself and have a hard copy with artwork. Typically, I use EAC + V0 or 320 Lame for mp3. Sometimes I'll do FLAC for certain types of music that just don't sound good on mp3.

I also don't use stock Ipod earphones, not even at the gym. The sound is so horrid I don't know how people can tolerate it. I guess if you've never been exposed to anything better you probably think it's fine. Same thing with those godawful skullcandy distorto bass headphones.

I prefer listening to albums, and don't listen to artists for single songs. I don't like 99% of what's popular/on the radio/mtv. Most of the stuff I like is older music.

Jamrock
02-26-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah i just wear studio headphones. I hate earphones or buds or whatever.