PDA

View Full Version : Operation Ivy

thefletch13
01-19-2006, 05:35 AM
I like this band. does anyone else?

p.s, are they considered ska? because I don't know what ska is.

lutzkasong
01-19-2006, 05:41 AM
ska is like raw chords with usually like raggae bass lines and some fucked up brass instruments added in for no particular reason.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
01-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Yes they're 3rd wave ska. AKA Ska Punk. Yes I like them great band. But Ic ant listen to them for long perdios of time.

Edit: that is the worst definition of ska Ive ever seen.

lutzkasong
01-19-2006, 05:47 AM
What, my definition of ska? Tell me YOUR defintion of ska then.

Renegade of Funk
01-19-2006, 10:31 AM
im prob wrong in some way but to me ska is usually undistorted, sincapated(sp?) guitar, and often (though not very much with Op Ivy and bands like LoC and Choking Victim.... but they are CRS) has some sort of horn or brass instrament of some kind..... Underground Network seems to know more about it than me

anyway... Op Ivy owns alot. i really like them, good to skate to

thefletch13
01-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Op Ivy owns alot. i really like them, good to skate to

very true, it is great to skate to

velvet underground
01-19-2006, 04:35 PM
there great

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Ska combines american jazz, rythm and blues, and more traditional mento. Ska Punk which would be the third wave of ska is the distorted guitars and less used brass section. Each wave of ska has had a different sound. The Two Tone wave combined traditional ska with more punk type lyrics and heavier guitar. Sadly enough thrid wave ska has more crappy bands then good ones. Although the third wave of ska has made ska more of a heavier thing. Theres a little run down of the different waves. Not to much into detail.

fallen80i
01-19-2006, 04:59 PM
awsome band

givehugsnotdrugs
01-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Great band, haven't listened to them for a long time though.

lutzkasong
01-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Ska combines american jazz, rythm and blues, and more traditional mento. Ska Punk which would be the third wave of ska is the distorted guitars and less used brass section. Each wave of ska has had a different sound. The Two Tone wave combined traditional ska with more punk type lyrics and heavier guitar. Sadly enough thrid wave ska has more crappy bands then good ones. Although the third wave of ska has made ska more of a heavier thing. Theres a little run down of the different waves. Not to much into detail.
you just substituted my raggae for your "american jazz, rythm and blues" and added a bunch of crap about waves of ska, i was just giving a general description.

!Shuv_it_Up!
01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
great ska any one here like street light manefesto or catch22?

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
01-19-2006, 06:54 PM
you just substituted my raggae for your "american jazz, rythm and blues" and added a bunch of crap about waves of ska, i was just giving a general description.
Heres one for ya I don't use a genre that came from ska to describe it. Seeing as though reggae came from ska I wouldnt mention it in the description now would I? And idiot there is such a difference in the waves of ska which apparently you have no idea about. Your description wasn't a general description it was an ignorant attempt at acting like you know what you're talking about. Brass intruments for no reason? Have you even heard any first or second wave ska? Brass intruments have always been apart of ska. To say they're in the band for no apparent reason shows your ignorance towards the genre.

lutzkasong
01-20-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm not saying that I know everything about it, I was saying what I thought ska was. I know for a fact that the ska bass comes from jamaican thumb style playing or however you'll say it. Brass instruments have always been a part of ska, and that's why it was in my description. I just think that it doens't really have a big part in it. That was my general description of the ska i know and listen to. Don't tell me that the waves of ska or that different because if they were really different, they wouldn't be ska.

fat_poser
01-20-2006, 11:29 AM
worst band ever

thefletch13
01-22-2006, 03:17 PM
worst band ever

well, everyone does have their own opinion

p
01-22-2006, 06:16 PM
all i know is that i dont know. all i know is that i dont know nothing.

lutzkasong
01-23-2006, 01:07 PM
all i know is that i dont know. all i know is that i dont know nothing.
Were you trying to use double negative? Or do you just have very bad grammar?

p
01-23-2006, 01:13 PM
thats a line in one of their songs.

lutzkasong
01-23-2006, 01:16 PM
thats a line in one of their songs.
oh..

R1deKinK
01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
worst band ever

Either your kidding, or we need to burn you at the stake.

Op ivy is great to skate to. They kickass.

Vivica
01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
although they're classed as Ska by most media libaries i most definatly would not class them as pure Ska, Ska Punk yea, but they're too grungey for a ska band in my opinion...

but it all depends how you're defining ska...

but yea, great band.

GetWrecked77
01-24-2006, 12:49 AM
one of the best bands ever.