PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Melody Maker

KingofBluntz
01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Why are these so cheap? Obviously they won't have the quality of a real American made Gibson but I've been playing a poopy Peavey Tele copy and I was looking in to this as my first Gibson and I was wondering if it was worth the 500$ or if I should just wait a little longer and get a faded SG

Videon
01-09-2011, 06:28 PM
If you want quality for a low price don't go with Gibson/epiphone/fender/squire. Look at Dean's and Kramers as well as other superstrats. That's where you'll find quality for little money.

baker_skater
01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
If you want quality for a low price don't go with Gibson/epiphone/fender/squire. Look at Dean's and Kramers as well as other superstrats. That's where you'll find quality for little money.

If Squier guitars are anything like their basses, which I imagne they are, then there's no truth in that.

KingofBluntz
01-09-2011, 06:36 PM

I play bass and I bought an Ibanez GSR200 (200$) bass a few years ago and it was perfect for anything I was doing with it. I don't really like the look of Dean guitars though, and I just don't want a Dean guitar for some reason, I think its mostly because of their metally back round.

But its this guitar, a faded sg (probably used if I can find one), or a Schecter Damien. I'm going to be playing hardcore, post-hardcore, post-metal, post-rock and some pop punk (saves the day) stuff.

Skateselect
01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
haha i love how you post this in like every thread about buying a guitar

epiphone is the more affordable offshoot of gibson

same for squier to fender

drizzle
01-09-2011, 06:54 PM

deans suck and are absolutely hideous in every way. how do you know he's after a pointy hideous metal guitar?

also my squier classic vibe duo sonic is of very, very high quality. easily on par with mexican strats. squier has really begun to clean up their act and put out some quality shit, like the classic vibe series.

anyhoooo

the gibson melody maker, despite it's price, is an american made guitar. I'm pretty sure.

it's cheap because it's probably the most basic, simple guitar they make. really not that special. what kind of music do you play? a melody maker certainly won't be doing any chugga-chugga-br00tality metal.

KingofBluntz
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Well yeah I'm not gonna be playing any heavy/shreddy metal or anything. Some hardcore stuff is probably the heaviest stuff I'll be playing, and I already know I'm probably not even going to learn very many hardcore songs.

So mainly post-hardcore, pop punk and post-rock/post-metal type stuff.

drizzle
01-09-2011, 07:22 PM
post hardcore ftw

i can't see a single coil melody maker doing some hardcore stuff.. it would kinda sound like you're playing with a strat on the bridge position.

if you're aiming towards gibson-type guitars (which i assume is why you were checking out the melody maker), id say just go with an epi les paul or SG of the same price and just do a pickup swap for some better pickups of your liking.

i can vouch for mid-range epiphones, i have an explorer

they're very, very decent guitars with great build quality.

KingofBluntz
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Alright thanks man I'm gonna look in to those. I'd rather have a more decent guitar than a lower quality one just because its made in the US

buuuuttt if I find a used SG faded for 400-500$ I'd probably end up buying it

drizzle
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
HOLY CRAP YEAH I KNOW RIGHT i wish i had waited on the duo sonic so i coulda picked up one of those jazzmasters instead!

KingofBluntz
01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Well my dad has an american strat and I just want something different than a fender really

Videon
01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
haha i love how you post this in like every thread about buying a guitar

epiphone is the more affordable offshoot of gibson

same for squier to fender
ya lol. I've just seen so many people buy epiphones and squiers for $200+ and when they play my dean or my dad's kramer they're blown away when they realize how much money they wasted on what they bought.
deans suck and are absolutely hideous in every way. how do you know he's after a pointy hideous metal guitar?

Dean's Vendetta series are all super strats and look nice and sound and play better than any epiphone or squier I've played. Kramers are almost all superstrats and are pleasant to look at. My dad's in particular has a little thing where you pull up the tone knob and it sounds just like a single coil.

Videon
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
It came like that is the point i was making. thx for the info though I'll look it up. All I know is I can hook up to my dad's rack with his kramer and get a good heavy crunchy tone for some metal, then go to the bridge position and do the coil-tapping whatever to play some Gilmour stuff. He also scalloped the fretboard. I've never played a guitar that is in general as badass as his for around $300.

KingofBluntz
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ufwq6f.jpg

yes! the guitar i've been looking for all these years! Finally an instrument with some hot, sexy, sweaty sound.

bubbleboy
01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
The higher end Epi Les Pauls are fantastic, and with a pickup change can be really really great. Don't hesitate by the fact that they're made in Korea or whatever, Mahogany is Mahogany, doesn't matter if a Korean's hand made it or a redneck in Nashville made it. I have an Epi LP Classic (they're discontinued now), but I've also played a custom and it sounds great too, can't speak for the standard though I'd assume it's good too.