PDA

View Full Version : Conscious rap?

Brootal
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Can anyone recommend me some good conscious rappers like Talib Kwali, KRS-One, Immortal Technique etc... and also recommend me some good albums by said rapper.

xninjadude03
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold or Overcast
People Under The Stairs (to an extent) - Question In The Form Of An Answer or O.S.T.
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

I can't really recommend any of them over the others, but if I had to chose I'd say get the Blu one.

These are all kind of obvious choices too so there's a chance I'm not being of any help at all.

Shockwave
01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Diabolic
Canibus
Everyone in Army of the Phaoroahs
Eyedea
Aesop Rock
Slug
Nas
Mos Def
Tupac
Brother Ali
El-P
Sage Francis
Trademarc
Apathy
Celph-Titled
Chino XL
Josh Martinez
Sleep of Oldominion
Everyone in Solilaquists of Sound
Everyone in Cunnin Lynguists
Tonedeff
Macklemore
Everyone in Jurassic 5
The Grouch
Eligh
Murs
Cage
POS
2mex
Sadistik
Mac Lethal
The Visionaries
Common Market
Blue Scholars

And there's more too lol. Some of the rappers I listed are more conscious than others, some might not be what you are looking for at all. Sorry I kinda got carried away and just started posting every rapper I could think of. You're bound to like at least someone I posted though.

EDIT: I'm not sure why I'm editing but I feel like I'm missing a bunch of people you might be interested in. Whatever, if it comes to me I'll post them.

Gibson_SG
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
common

SkaSkate
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Baatin, Common, Big L, Keith Murray, Dilla (yes, as an MC), Shad K, Sadat X, CL Smooth and Cise Star are the ones off the top of my head that really stand out with deep thought in their lyrics.

Brootal
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold or Overcast
People Under The Stairs (to an extent) - Question In The Form Of An Answer or O.S.T.
Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

I can't really recommend any of them over the others, but if I had to chose I'd say get the Blu one.

These are all kind of obvious choices too so there's a chance I'm not being of any help at all.
Lemons was a meh album for me but thanks for the suggestions.

Shockwave;4821756]Diabolic
Canibus
Everyone in Army of the Phaoroahs
Eyedea
Aesop Rock
Slug
Nas
Mos Def
Tupac
Brother Ali
El-P
Sage Francis
Trademarc
Apathy
Celph-Titled
Chino XL
Josh Martinez
Sleep of Oldominion
Everyone in Solilaquists of Sound
Everyone in Cunnin Lynguists
Tonedeff
Macklemore
Everyone in Jurassic 5
The Grouch
Eligh
Murs
Cage
POS
2mex
Sadistik
Mac Lethal
The Visionaries
Common Market
Blue Scholars

And there's more too lol. Some of the rappers I listed are more conscious than others, some might not be what you are looking for at all. Sorry I kinda got carried away and just started posting every rapper I could think of. You're bound to like at least someone I posted though.

EDIT: I'm not sure why I'm editing but I feel like I'm missing a bunch of people you might be interested in. Whatever, if it comes to me I'll post them.

Thanks a lot dude. Chino XL is amazing.

MartyRules
01-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Masta Ace and Edo G
Snowgoons
ect.

naked skater
01-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Lupe Fiasco
Sole

chim richalds
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
KRS-One was in Boogie Down Productions. Listen to the album Edutainment. Talib Kweli and Mos Def joined to make Black Star. Their album is great. K'naan is another. Listen to Dusty Foot Philosopher.

Fudopi
01-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Lil B.

Valo Negroth
01-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Im not sure if you'll like him but Jahred of (hed) PE is a good rapper. He raps a lot about government, government lies, aliens, sex and drugs, and his life. Each theme seems to go with an alter ego. Their a G Punk band so a lot of the songs have rap with metal, or rock or is just straight rap. I suggest that you listen to IFO first since its rap thats not about sex, seeing how most people here hate rap like that.

"Mr. Hyde" raps about his past
YouTube - (Hed) P.E. - Bad Dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RJbBZu-yAg)
"Dr. Jekyll" raps about sex
YouTube - hed pe ft tech n9ne - Work on This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuE05pNVIpE&feature=related)
"Hip-Hop Witch Doctor" raps about conspiracy, government lies, and aliens
YouTube - 12 - HED pe - IFO (HED pe) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFM44lzGtY)
Himself without an alter egos he raps about drugs
YouTube - HED (pe) feat Pot Luck Smokers only FIRE SPINNING WOF 0003 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmqj3k9d4jo)

Shockwave
01-09-2011, 06:14 PM
I love hed PE
YouTube - (hed)p.e. - Daze of War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np1l90_2aSg) this song is so sick.

IfRapWasAGameIdBeMVP
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
waka flocka flame

xninjadude03
01-09-2011, 07:08 PM
bitch i'm bustin at em
bitch i'm bustin at em
bitch i'm bustin at em
bitch i'm bustin at em
bitch i'm bustin at em
ain't no talkin homie im just bustin at em

DeathWish13
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
waka flocka flame
lol

millerbestmedia
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
What's conscious rap?

I listen to rap music, but I've never really heard that term. Call me ignorant, stupid.

SkaSkate
01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
In Common's own humble words:

"...some depict me
as being conscious
yea I use my head."

Taaffe
01-11-2011, 10:15 PM
The D.I.T.C crew.

Taaffe
01-13-2011, 12:50 AM
also El Da Sensei and The Roots

Viva_La_Fiesta
01-13-2011, 03:24 AM
I'd definetely reccommend People Under the Stairs. They're not political, but they rap alot about the current state of hip hop and how it needs to get away from crack rap. Pretty much all of thier albums are genius, but I'd reccommend O.S.T. to start with.

Zion I is an awesome concious rap group. Get thier Mind Over Matter album.

Murs is also pretty sick, I'd reccommend Murs 3:16 and Murray's Revenge.

Definetely get One Be Lo. I don't have any of his full albums but he's got some dope songs. "Learn" is my favorite by him.

There are some sick concious rappers out there. But, my utmost reccomendation for anyone looking for any kind of hip hop is People Under the Stairs. YouTube - People Under the Stairs - The Breakdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5P3ZQiu9c)

king
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
What's conscious rap?

I listen to rap music, but I've never really heard that term. Call me ignorant, stupid.

thats what i was wonderin

bubbleboy
01-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Dead Prez

ZeroOrDie.
01-13-2011, 11:27 AM
cyne

The Trooper
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I'd definetely reccommend People Under the Stairs. They're not political, but they rap alot about the current state of hip hop and how it needs to get away from crack rap. Pretty much all of thier albums are genius, but I'd reccommend O.S.T. to start with.

Zion I is an awesome concious rap group. Get thier Mind Over Matter album.

Murs is also pretty sick, I'd reccommend Murs 3:16 and Murray's Revenge.

Definetely get One Be Lo. I don't have any of his full albums but he's got some dope songs. "Learn" is my favorite by him.

There are some sick concious rappers out there. But, my utmost reccomendation for anyone looking for any kind of hip hop is People Under the Stairs. YouTube - People Under the Stairs - The Breakdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5P3ZQiu9c)

yes. he's sick. check out binary stars album masters of the universe. it's one be lo and senim silla, fucking greatest album ever.

BaconCheddar
01-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Shad. Nuff said.

pinkeh
01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
die antwoord.