PDA

View Full Version : one of the smartest things i have ever read

Kolzig
01-15-2006, 05:57 AM
a friend of mine wrote this in a blog and i couldnt agree more.

Emo is the new boyband. Donít laugh; itís true! The only difference is that these bands pose as "counterculture," to make kids fed up with the so called "mainstream rock," and then bait and sucker them into buying their CD's. I give them credit; they have found quite a profitable niche selling the idea to be cool to be rebellious and counterculture with emo band idea.

Now what makes the connection from pop music/boybands to emo music? There is no talent involved in creating an emo, except a powerful marketing sales force behind them. You heard me. These bands are not musicians, their merely actors! What else can you call such ignorant, untalented, weekend warrior hacks on instruments that play the same 3 chord progression pattern for both the verse and chorus (no complexity in song = no talent), that donít believe in guitar solos (which is an obvious sign of no talent in the guitar dept), whiny and annoying vocals with out of key harmonization, and repetitive lyrics about a terrible choice of girl dumping him, but still wanting her back even though she treats him like ***** all the while being stupid enough to take that kind of treatment from her because he "loves her so much". The fact that the girl does not love him back, hence the cheating or leaving, is besides the point and does not even enter the equation in the song, all the while loathing and pitying themselves in a total pity party all by their lonesome, inviting you to join, even though you have no reason to be there because you don't hate yourself until after you join their "pity me so I get attention and love and because it makes me feel important" cause! This aforementioned attitude is masqueraded as the cool thing to do by these "bands", as they label themselves and their music as rebellious and counterculture to mainstream pop and rock.

Worst offenders: Fallout buy, Dashboard confessional, My Chemical Romance, and (gasp) Hawthorne Heights...because they all made their big break to mass audience solely by MTV, a.k.a. get rich quick thru pop music TV. This now brings me to my second point.

Despite calling themselves counterculture, rebellious, and against the mainstream music scene, isn't it ironic that these bands go through the most mainstream, corporate media product out there? This only means that they are corporate backed and sponsored so that they can get really rich quickly. This is quite strange, since these behaviors goes completely against what these bands set out to stand against in the first place!

Now, besides stealing success from more deserving bands (read: bands with actual talent and success because of their musical abilities), emo bands also cheapen rock music in general to a business venture that picks and choose which ones to sign based on profitability, with no regard to TALENT.

While I agree that bands like, say Nickelback are kind of guilty of looking like money making schemes, but they have much better musical talent, song writing, and (gasp) creativity (such as guitar solos), showing that there are still some vestiges of individuality and they also donít act, look, or sound like they are going to slit their wrists if you hand them sharp objects, such as scissors and razor blades, because their self-esteem and self worth are so low that they'll actually do it.

I'm not saying I'm a total fanboy of the Nickelback and similar stuff, there is some talent involved in those bands, and besides, you know my favorite band is Cold, a band that doesnít get any respect (most likely because emo steals what attention they would get). My 2nd favorite, Edgewater, got an unbelievable shafting by their formal label (they left it and are independent again). Finally, my other favorite band, Dogfight, is an amazing band with loads of talent and sold two self produced EP's at shows and online and both sold 20,000 units each, yet inexplicably, nobody signed them and there are rumors saying that they split up now.

There are those that say that emo lyrics are beautiful and they can relate to and thereby listen. I can respect that, but I must point you in a different direction to a good band that creates beautiful music that is easy to relate. This band is Cold. You will be blown away by their music. I would say Cold's music is exponentially better than anything emo can offer you in both songwriting (very poetic and well-thought out) and music, especially being free of any canned, clichť phrases ("friction in your jeans?" what is that?!). I'll start you off with Gone away, Bleed, A Different Kind of Pain, and Check Please. You can go from there. All four albums are amazing! This band is a hard working band that needs your support, so buy, not burn. Cold is not a corporate created and sponsored band. Their CD's are worth every penny it costs to buy the album. Believe me, there are no filler tracks on this album! Their CD's are of the few that I don't skip any songs on the album; a rarity these days! Message me if you want to know more about Cold.

One final point, if you want REAL counter-culture and rebellion, metal is a better choice. Even hard rock is acceptable as rebellious and counter-culture (umm, Velvet Revolver, G&R, The Darkness, etc.) if you don't like gothic looks in metal. Also, both metal and hard rock have been in existence for much longer than emo bands, which only show that emo is a corporate created genre to make money off of and drop it like a lead balloon once all the milk has been taken from the cash cow. Such was the fate of the boyband and pop music that featured choreographed dancing. Mark my words, emo will have its little heyday (now-ish), then in 5 years or so, it will suddenly disappear once it is no longer profitable, just like the boybands. Meanwhile, hard rock and metal will live forever because they are not corporate sponsored get-rich-quick schemes. There are always consistently talented bands in metal and hard rock that people appreciate and purchase their music and merchandise.
Hey, I'm just being honest.
For those of you that are emo fans or listen to emo music, let me know when your ear feels better :-)
Take it easy,

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
01-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Sadly there is nothing new in that entire thing that I haven't read somewhere before. Even with posting this though it will only cxause argument and settle nothing.

etnieswannabe12
01-15-2006, 07:56 AM
how long did this take u...

igrindtwinkies
01-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Would your friend care if i put this in my blog?

acidphreak
01-15-2006, 08:23 AM
To original poster:
Your friends a dumb shit and you are too for reposting this.
None of those bands are emo, faggot, learn about it before you diss on it.
Faggot.

encyclopedia
01-15-2006, 09:33 AM
To original poster:
Faggot.
Alright calm down.

PoolShark
01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
i agree on some points

timorousme
01-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Emo is the new boyband. Donít laugh; itís true! The only difference is that these bands pose as "counterculture," to make kids fed up with the so called "mainstream rock," and then bait and sucker them into buying their CD's. I give them credit; they have found quite a profitable niche selling the idea to be cool to be rebellious and counterculture with emo band idea.

Now what makes the connection from pop music/boybands to emo music? There is no talent involved in creating an emo, except a powerful marketing sales force behind them. You heard me. These bands are not musicians, their merely actors! What else can you call such ignorant, untalented, weekend warrior hacks on instruments that play the same 3 chord progression pattern for both the verse and chorus (no complexity in song = no talent), that donít believe in guitar solos (which is an obvious sign of no talent in the guitar dept), whiny and annoying vocals with out of key harmonization, and repetitive lyrics about a terrible choice of girl dumping him, but still wanting her back even though she treats him like ***** all the while being stupid enough to take that kind of treatment from her because he "loves her so much". The fact that the girl does not love him back, hence the cheating or leaving, is besides the point and does not even enter the equation in the song, all the while loathing and pitying themselves in a total pity party all by their lonesome, inviting you to join, even though you have no reason to be there because you don't hate yourself until after you join their "pity me so I get attention and love and because it makes me feel important" cause! This aforementioned attitude is masqueraded as the cool thing to do by these "bands", as they label themselves and their music as rebellious and counterculture to mainstream pop and rock.

Worst offenders: Fallout buy, Dashboard confessional, My Chemical Romance, and (gasp) Hawthorne Heights...because they all made their big break to mass audience solely by MTV, a.k.a. get rich quick thru pop music TV. This now brings me to my second point.

Despite calling themselves counterculture, rebellious, and against the mainstream music scene, isn't it ironic that these bands go through the most mainstream, corporate media product out there? This only means that they are corporate backed and sponsored so that they can get really rich quickly. This is quite strange, since these behaviors goes completely against what these bands set out to stand against in the first place!

Now, besides stealing success from more deserving bands (read: bands with actual talent and success because of their musical abilities), emo bands also cheapen rock music in general to a business venture that picks and choose which ones to sign based on profitability, with no regard to TALENT.

While I agree that bands like, say Nickelback are kind of guilty of looking like money making schemes, but they have much better musical talent, song writing, and (gasp) creativity (such as guitar solos), showing that there are still some vestiges of individuality and they also donít act, look, or sound like they are going to slit their wrists if you hand them sharp objects, such as scissors and razor blades, because their self-esteem and self worth are so low that they'll actually do it.

I'm not saying I'm a total fanboy of the Nickelback and similar stuff, there is some talent involved in those bands, and besides, you know my favorite band is Cold, a band that doesnít get any respect (most likely because emo steals what attention they would get). My 2nd favorite, Edgewater, got an unbelievable shafting by their formal label (they left it and are independent again). Finally, my other favorite band, Dogfight, is an amazing band with loads of talent and sold two self produced EP's at shows and online and both sold 20,000 units each, yet inexplicably, nobody signed them and there are rumors saying that they split up now.

There are those that say that emo lyrics are beautiful and they can relate to and thereby listen. I can respect that, but I must point you in a different direction to a good band that creates beautiful music that is easy to relate. This band is Cold. You will be blown away by their music. I would say Cold's music is exponentially better than anything emo can offer you in both songwriting (very poetic and well-thought out) and music, especially being free of any canned, clichť phrases ("friction in your jeans?" what is that?!). I'll start you off with Gone away, Bleed, A Different Kind of Pain, and Check Please. You can go from there. All four albums are amazing! This band is a hard working band that needs your support, so buy, not burn. Cold is not a corporate created and sponsored band. Their CD's are worth every penny it costs to buy the album. Believe me, there are no filler tracks on this album! Their CD's are of the few that I don't skip any songs on the album; a rarity these days! Message me if you want to know more about Cold.

One final point, if you want REAL counter-culture and rebellion, metal is a better choice. Even hard rock is acceptable as rebellious and counter-culture (umm, Velvet Revolver, G&R, The Darkness, etc.) if you don't like gothic looks in metal. Also, both metal and hard rock have been in existence for much longer than emo bands, which only show that emo is a corporate created genre to make money off of and drop it like a lead balloon once all the milk has been taken from the cash cow. Such was the fate of the boyband and pop music that featured choreographed dancing. Mark my words, emo will have its little heyday (now-ish), then in 5 years or so, it will suddenly disappear once it is no longer profitable, just like the boybands. Meanwhile, hard rock and metal will live forever because they are not corporate sponsored get-rich-quick schemes. There are always consistently talented bands in metal and hard rock that people appreciate and purchase their music and merchandise.
Hey, I'm just being honest.
For those of you that are emo fans or listen to emo music, let me know when your ear feels better :-)
Take it easy,

Now, I had a long thing explaining why this person is wrong many times in the blog, but I got logged out somehow. So I'm going to shorten my last post here.

1. If three chord progressions equals shitty music and no talent, then The Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, Phil Ochs, and other great legends suck accorting to you.

2. If you look at My Chemical Romance tabs as opposed to Cold tabs, you'll find MCR to be more difficult, at least in my opinion.

3. MTV plays popular music, not makes it. Again, using MCR as an example, they're first album on Eyeball records made it nowhere. It wasn't until two years later when they signed to Reprise (Warner Bros.) that they made it. And I personally don't blame them. If WB gave your band a deal, wouldn't you take it?

4. Keeping the flow with MCR... Most of their songs aren't about love. They mainly play about death, zombies, vampires, etc., showing their influence from bands like The Misfits and Alice Cooper.

5. I've never seen somebody listen to emo because of rebellion. I've never seen a Taking Back Sunday fan because it's the counterculture. I've never seen a rebellious Dashboard Confessional fan. Maybe... I don't know... They like the music?

7. I found it interesting that your friend's blog was about how people shouldn't listen to emo because they sell by claiming to be the counterculture, yet at the end, he tried to sell metal by claiming that it's the counter culture.

Just let people listen to what they want.

timorousme
01-15-2006, 10:57 AM
To original poster:
Faggot.

Hm... Maybe you should read about all three waves of emo before you claim that the bands that he mentioned aren't.

Skater_frog
01-15-2006, 11:01 AM
The paragraph talking about the lyrics is sexist. It says that the lyrics are about a girl breaking up with a guy, that means then that only guys are emo.

child-of-insanity
01-15-2006, 11:14 AM
you make a good argument, Kolzig. but next time, can you try to summerize something like that. it took me like 10 minutes to read that.

acidphreak
01-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Hm... Maybe you should read about all three waves of emo before you claim that the bands that he mentioned aren't.

maybe dashboard, but my chem and fall out boy? if you also think this is emo, you suck. it's pop punk, I don't see the emo element in those bands. Now if he had said bands such as Bright Eyes, Nightmare of You, and Across Five Aprils, I would respect his opinion. The fact that he doesn't even know what he's talking about screws his entire article over.

timorousme
01-15-2006, 11:28 AM
maybe dashboard, but my chem and fall out boy? if you also think this is emo, you suck. it's pop punk, I don't see the emo element in those bands. Now if he had said bands such as Bright Eyes, Nightmare of You, and Across Five Aprils, I would respect his opinion. The fact that he doesn't even know what he's talking about screws his entire article over.

There's more than one kind of emo... There's first wave (80's D.C. Emo), second wave (90's Seattle Emo), and third wave (Which has become so wide spread to what most people call emo today). It's still emo, just a different kind.

mellowman
01-15-2006, 12:25 PM
i couldnt be bothered reading it

liebherk
01-15-2006, 02:35 PM

Now what makes the connection from pop music/boybands to emo music? There is no talent involved in creating an emo, except a powerful marketing sales force behind them. You heard me. These bands are not musicians, their merely actors! What else can you call such ignorant, untalented, weekend warrior hacks on instruments that play the same 3 chord progression pattern for both the verse and chorus (no complexity in song = no talent), that donít believe in guitar solos (which is an obvious sign of no talent in the guitar dept),

that's where I stopped reading.

PoolShark
01-15-2006, 04:49 PM
what the fuck? bright eyes isnt emo you faggot

dain84
01-15-2006, 05:33 PM
MCR is emo. Fall Out Boy is not.

dain84
01-15-2006, 05:34 PM
The paragraph talking about the lyrics is sexist. It says that the lyrics are about a girl breaking up with a guy, that means then that only guys are emo.
Well, all emo I've heard has a male singer.

eatthesun894
01-15-2006, 05:45 PM
ENOUGH OF THE EMO POSTS!!! HATE EM OR LOVE EM, LET THEM DO THEIR OWN FUCKING THING!!!

thank you

acidphreak
01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
how is bright eyes not emo?
WTF they are like a classic example, they don't fit into any other genre anyways.

Fat_Emerica
01-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Now, I had a long thing explaining why this person is wrong many times in the blog, but I got logged out somehow. So I'm going to shorten my last post here.

1. If three chord progressions equals shitty music and no talent, then The Velvet Underground, Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, Phil Ochs, and other great legends suck accorting to you.

2. If you look at My Chemical Romance tabs as opposed to Cold tabs, you'll find MCR to be more difficult, at least in my opinion.

3. MTV plays popular music, not makes it. Again, using MCR as an example, they're first album on Eyeball records made it nowhere. It wasn't until two years later when they signed to Reprise (Warner Bros.) that they made it. And I personally don't blame them. If WB gave your band a deal, wouldn't you take it?

4. Keeping the flow with MCR... Most of their songs aren't about love. They mainly play about death, zombies, vampires, etc., showing their influence from bands like The Misfits and Alice Cooper.

5. I've never seen somebody listen to emo because of rebellion. I've never seen a Taking Back Sunday fan because it's the counterculture. I've never seen a rebellious Dashboard Confessional fan. Maybe... I don't know... They like the music?

7. I found it interesting that your friend's blog was about how people shouldn't listen to emo because they sell by claiming to be the counterculture, yet at the end, he tried to sell metal by claiming that it's the counter culture.

Just let people listen to what they want.

that's all that needed to be said.

ryand
01-15-2006, 06:14 PM
how is bright eyes not emo?
WTF they are like a classic example, they don't fit into any other genre anyways.

your an idiot. if they dont fit any genres, that doesnt mean you should force one on them. genres are stupid anyways.

and kolzig, that essay kinda sucked. the arguments were weak and the whole guitar complexity thing is bull shit. and i dont care how many fucking "waves of emo" there are, that does not make fallout boy emo. not while theres still some good modern emo out there if you look hard enough.

timorousme
01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
what the fuck? bright eyes isnt emo you faggot

Bright Eyes is something that's always perplexed me. While I do consider them emo, most of the time, I say "emograss" as at times they are very emo, at times they are very bluegrass', and at times, Conor mixes them both into a unique style. Gotta love 'em.

ryand
01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
how bout we stop trying to label them and just enjoy the uniquness? not all bands have to be labeled

skatekid3
01-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Fall out boy is not Emo...

timorousme
01-15-2006, 07:40 PM
how bout we stop trying to label them and just enjoy the uniquness? not all bands have to be labeled

It helps a lot though in the long run. You don't want to go into the punk section of FYE and see 50 Cent.

Kolzig
01-15-2006, 07:42 PM
ok first i did not write it. i dont agree with everything like how hes obsessed with metal. but the overall flavor is very accurate. and mtv does not make popular music they indeed play it as someone said. but they make certain types popular according to the newest fad. that sentence wasnt worded great but you get the idea

timorousme
01-15-2006, 07:45 PM
ok first i did not write it. i dont agree with everything like how hes obsessed with metal. but the overall flavor is very accurate. and mtv does not make popular music they indeed play it as someone said. but they make certain types popular according to the newest fad. that sentence wasnt worded great but you get the idea

I've been recognized!... Kinda...

encyclopedia
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
MCR is emo. Fall Out Boy is not.

There is no noteable difference between them, you lose.

Kolzig
01-16-2006, 08:17 AM

well there is kind of. mcr is trying to be like the misfits while fallout boy just sucks on their own

bandikid
01-16-2006, 08:23 AM
This will never settle anything. It will only raise more arguments.

Marevix
01-16-2006, 09:06 AM
After reading this, I have concluded that
a. I knew everything that this post contained before reading it,
b. This post is about to anger some crazy emo n00bs,
c. I could care less for the argument.

liebherk
01-16-2006, 10:53 AM

*Idiotic Statement of the Week Award*

oh and by the way, Halifax has solos. At least one, I've only heard a couple of their songs. You'd probably call them emo.

Kiev...
01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
wtf are people rebelling against???i always saw music as a way to have fun, not a way for me to bitch about how my rich parents dont understand me and how my girlfriend broke up with me. bottom line, music should make you happy...not depressed

Kiev...
01-16-2006, 02:08 PM
and emo people just do that stupid shit for attention