PDA

View Full Version : Replacing strings

PulseOfTheMaggots
01-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I just started playing guitar last month, and today i snapped a string. I have a set of replacement strings, but it's the first time I snapped one. Can one of you tell me how to replace the broken string?

thanks, and sorry for sounding like such a noob.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
You put the string in the opisit way you took the broken one out.

PulseOfTheMaggots
01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
thanks, i got it

timorousme
01-13-2006, 06:45 PM
You put the string in the opisit way you took the broken one out.

There's more to it than that. Most people don't know how to change strings right, so here's the best way that I can describe it, sorry if it's bad...

1. If it's an accoustic, you need to pop the peg out. The best way to do this is get a winding tool. There's a little divit in there so that you can lock it under the head of the peg and simply pop it out. If you have an electric, you don't have to worry about that.

2. Make sure that the hole in your tuning head is horizontal. It's important for doing it the right way.

3. Put the new string in. On an accoustic, set it in the whole and then put the peg back in. On an electric, run it though either the stop-tail bridge or the holes in the back (it depends on what guitar you have).

4. Run the guitar through and put it though the whole of your tuning head, so that running away from the center of the guitar head. Run it until it meets resistance and you still have some slack to tighten it.

5. Grab the string with both hands, one on each side of the tuning head. Grab it with the less logical hand, in other words grab the left hand side of the string with your right hand. Take your hands and move them so that they aren't crossed anymore. Crimp the string. This should make an "S" shape with the string.

6. Take the end of the string, and put it under the other part. Then over it. Crimp it there to lock in in like that.

7. Now take your winding tool and tighten it up. Use your fingers to help guide the string, making sure that it keeps winding under itself.

8. Wind it until it's in tune and the run your finger up and down the sting a few times, pulling up, to help stretch it.

9. Keep doing that and keep tuning it until you think it sounds good. You'll need to play it a few times before it sounds ideal.

I hope that helps.