PDA

View Full Version : Why...

baker_skater
07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
is Cliff Burton regarded as such a good/best bass player? He's mediocre at best. Random I know but something that has been bugging me for awhile.

Dr. Science
07-13-2010, 09:41 PM
metallica is popular?

StarcraftLedZeppelin
07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Why did you bother making a thread about him? He's obviously left a mark in music, how much of a mark is always subjective.

Ynot
07-13-2010, 09:49 PM
imo, he's definitely a skilled and talented musician, and he really did leave a mark on music with Metallica. but aside from slightly above average fingerpicking on bass and a few bits of creativity here and there, he's not that great as a bassist. he never really tried to put a real substance or groove into the song, which is something that not many realize is important for the bass to do in a rock/metal setting.

plus there's the whole thing of how he makes his bass sound like a guitar alot of the time. my question to him really is why not play guitar if you tried so hard to sound like one? he could've definitely been a kickass guitarist.

but yeah, kids who usually regard him as the best don't really see the different uses of a guitar and a bass with music as a whole.

baker_skater
07-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Why did you bother making a thread about him? He's obviously left a mark in music, how much of a mark is always subjective.

Just something that everyone brings up, I understand he left a mark but he's not nearly skilled enough to be even in the top 100.

I thought forums were a place for people to share opinions and whatnot, woah is me to think that and make a thread asking permission. Please forgive me.

StarcraftLedZeppelin
07-13-2010, 09:52 PM
It's not as much as a big deal as I played it out to be, I just like giving people a hard time for no reason.

baker_skater
07-13-2010, 09:55 PM
imo, he's definitely a skilled and talented musician, and he really did leave a mark on music with Metallica. but aside from slightly above average fingerpicking on bass and a few bits of creativity here and there, he's not that great as a bassist. plus there's the whole thing of how he makes his bass sound like a guitar alot of the time.

my question to him really is why not play guitar if you tried so hard to sound like one? he could've definitely been a kickass guitarist.

but yeah, kids who usually regard him as the best don't really see the differences between a guitar and a bass with music as a whole.

I complete see why people like him, he was in Metallica, died young, etc, but so many people regard him as the best and there's no way he could even be close.

I also agree about the guitar thing, I don't really like Metallica but Trujillo definitly is a better bassist for them since he plays the role.

Ynot
07-13-2010, 09:57 PM
yeah, i'd say in terms of being a bassist Trujillo knocks the shit out of Burton.

Snake
07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
zomg dude haven't you even hurd orion? It has like the greatest bass part of all time. OF ALL TIME.echo's

StarcraftLedZeppelin
07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Orion was my first crush, them fighting words!

Daniel_Harry
07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
He kicked some ass, and his stage presence was huge. His lines were creative and he died young.

Jasons stage presence and backing vocals are better IMO.

I dont think much of Trujillo.

Snake
07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
in all serious I will not lie, I really liked that song, still do haven't heard it in a while. I find most of metallicas stuff insufferable mundane drudgery, but that song is amazing

StarcraftLedZeppelin
07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
List your top 3 Metallica songs so I can judge you.

JulyRed
07-13-2010, 10:19 PM
judge me, my list is
Lepper Messiah
Damage inc
Call Of Ktulu

StarcraftLedZeppelin
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
You listen to the better music from Metallica, I listen to those songs on a regular basis.

t pudz has arm steez
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
he was great as writing music, he had a unique sound, and above all he died at a young age. i think hes overrated but definately talented. newsted was my favorite metallica bassist just because of his backing vocals but orion had kickass bass in it and to live is to die is a great song (he wrote it, right?). im kind of over metallica and my whole metal phase though

Kumquat
07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
My top 5 bassists

1:Matt Freeman:Rancid
2:Fat Mike:NOFX
3:Les Claypool: Primus
4:Mark Hoppus: Blink 182
5: Cliff Burton

Mark Hoppus, you're shitting me right?

Snake
07-13-2010, 11:58 PM
List your top 3 Metallica songs so I can judge you.

I don't give a shit about metaliica and I probably couldn't list three due to me not having listened to them enough.

Obviously I've heard all their radio stuff, have set through master of puppets a few times, and have been exposed to pretty much everything else they've done via obsessed friends, but everything I've heard sounds like some kind of congealed gray snot. But yar I should listen to all their stuff more thoroughly before bashing them. I'll just need to be pretty drunk to embark on that quest, cause sober they're boring as fuck.

JulyRed
07-14-2010, 02:23 AM
ma favourite bassist - Fat Mike:NOFX

adamreid1
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
He made Metallica good.

And according to Wiki (I don't play bass)

"Burton was known for his "lead bass" approach, in which the bass played a melodic and soloist role, in addition to holding down the harmonic and rhythmic foundation of the band."

I know he played that shit like a guitar, totally ripped it.

Occupant
07-14-2010, 10:06 AM
he's not bad, not really great either. i'm not a big metallica fan anyway though

baker_skater
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
He made Metallica good.

And according to Wiki (I don't play bass)

"Burton was known for his "lead bass" approach, in which the bass played a melodic and soloist role, in addition to holding down the harmonic and rhythmic foundation of the band."

I know he played that shit like a guitar, totally ripped it.

Why even play bass if your intent is to make it sound like a guitar? He didn't really do what a bass player is suppose to do. Now I know some people will say he was thinking outside the box and being creative but he wasn't really. He should have just plated guitar.

Ynot
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
yeah, i mean the idea of "lead bass" isn't what is bad imo, lots of great bassists use playing leads in their technique, just that he went out of his way to mimic a guitar. that and he doesn't keep the bottom end/provide too memorable of rhythms to be considered a great bassist.

like i said before, very skilled and talented musician, but ok bass player.

Milo
07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Mark Hoppus, you're shitting me right?

He is amazing if you've looked at his Bass Solo's and he has almost as irregular riffs as NOFX does. You Gotta look deeper into things than speed, and complexity.

baker_skater
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
yeah, i mean the idea of "lead bass" isn't what is bad imo, lots of great bassists use playing leads in their technique, just that he went out of his way to mimic a guitar. that and he doesn't keep the bottom end/provide too memorable of rhythms to be considered a great bassist.

like i said before, very skilled and talented musician, but ok bass player.

Yeah, I have no problem with lead bass players, I listen to alot of them actually. Just a lead bass, imo, should sound like a bass.

He is amazing if you've looked at his Bass Solo's and he has almost as irregular riffs as NOFX does. You Gotta look deeper into things than speed, and complexity.

Please give me a song that has a bass solo in it by him, considering you have Nirvana in your avatar anything you really say is invalid to me.

GetBent
07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
You're all wrong.

Al Cisneros is the best.

DUH.

Punkatoo
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
My top 5 bassists

1:Matt Freeman:Rancid
2:Fat Mike:NOFX
3:Les Claypool: Primus
4:Mark Hoppus: Blink 182
5: Cliff Burton

matt freeman's good, i like his work in op ivy and most of his faster stuff in rancid.

hoppus doesn't solo and nofx doesn't have "irregular" riffs.
and on top of that, fat mike isn't as good as he could be. he is the ideal punk bass player, but i could never see him playing anything past skacore.

hoppus and mike are both in punk bands, which use some of the most basic progressions.

Sucks at skating
07-14-2010, 11:24 PM
You're all wrong.

Al Cisneros is the best.

DUH.