PDA

View Full Version : Do you like whole albums, or just single songs?

Punkatoo
06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Cause I like having whole albums, just to hear what other goodies a band might put out. Singles are usually the band's best material, but I love stumbling upon a song I've had, but never listened to.

fallenskater425
06-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Some of the best songs are the least popular.

Cantskate
06-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Alot of albums the songs string togeather like a story.

SNES4Life
06-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Definitely whole albums.

mikkeypuf
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Choosing to listen to only singles and disregarding 90 percent of an artists work (many times their best work) is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

Cantskate
06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
that 5 for 5 thats 100%

/thread bruh

Fudopi
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
definitely albums.

The artist made a PROJECT that was to be listened to in it's entirety. Besides, back when people actually bought CD's, they just made singles so you knew what the artist was about before you bought the CD.

Most of the time a single is just a track that'll get the guys name out there on the tv stations and radio, the artists actual substance is on his album.

Like Wale, his single was just 4 minutes about sneakers, clothes, and how cool he is. But on his album he has really deep songs about relationships and stuff like that.

Besides I hardly ever listen to music I can't relate too... If I had an ipod full of artists singles, I'd get pretty pissed.

Sucks at skating
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
What kind of question is this?!

Skateselect
06-15-2010, 06:28 PM
one of the reasons i really respect the beatles is because they didnt include a lot of their singles on albums

Ynot
06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Some of the best songs are the least popular.
this :-/

drizzle
06-15-2010, 06:53 PM
i cant stand having just one song. if i dont have an entire album on my ipod, it drives me crazy

Occupant
06-15-2010, 06:58 PM
albums. and i actually buy them.

Punkatoo
06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
What kind of question is this?!
eh, you'd be surprised at how many people listen to just hits. i even hate it when i skim through the aisles in a music store for a certain band and all i can find is their greatest hits album.

drizzle
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
yeah every ipod i check out at school (yknow, like, "hey lemme see your ipod for a second) will have, like, a million fucking artists. but each artist will only have about 2 or 3 songs. that shit pisses me off so much.

Ynot
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
eh, you'd be surprised at how many people listen to just hits. i even hate it when i skim through the aisles in a music store for a certain band and all i can find is their greatest hits album.
i agree, that's part of why i download.

MORICCA
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Yep ^. Especially since people obsess over one artist's shitty song for two weeks, and then move onto the next thing they here on the radio/mtv.

Iskatehard
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, I don't always get just albums.. Sometimes I hear a song from a band that I like, so I just go in and download random songs from them to check out. I don't really try to get complete albums or anything like that.

But, I still voted albums.. Because if I hear a song from a band I like, I'm not going to be content with just having said song.. I wanna hear more of them

t pudz has arm steez
06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
why wouldnt you want the album if you liked a song from it

Fudopi
06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
there is a few exceptions though.

A couple artists (one hit wonders) have a song or two I liked, and then the rest were just... un-interesting. So I just downloaded the single tracks I liked. Most of the time though if the album is half decent I get the whole thing.

Punkatoo
06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
yeah every ipod i check out at school (yknow, like, "hey lemme see your ipod for a second) will have, like, a million fucking artists. but each artist will only have about 2 or 3 songs. that shit pisses me off so much.
haha, finally. someone else who wonders how someone could have 5000 total songs by 4000 artists.

adamreid1
06-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Albums, obviously.

I totally disagree with whoever said 'Singles are normally best'. In 90% of cases it's the worst song on the album.

Occupant
06-16-2010, 09:15 AM
i think the only artist i don't have a whole album for is Sir Mix-a-Lot.

Floydian
06-16-2010, 09:30 AM
albums. and i actually buy them.

Same.

And not only do I need the entire album, I almost always listen to music when it's an album start to finish.

Smokesletsgo
06-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Good albums. I do listen to a lot of singles, mostly through spotify, because a lot of artists only have a few songs I like. On my mp3 player however, I only have full albums, but I make various playlists.

Skatenjoi
06-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Definitely, definitely albums

Crack
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I dunno, sometimes artists have SOME good songs on an album, but the others suck.

So singles, I will like get 1 song from an album, and if I like it then I would check out the other songs the artist has.

Marevix
06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Like Wale, his single was just 4 minutes about sneakers, clothes, and how cool he is. But on his album he has really deep songs about relationships and stuff like that.

Call me a soulless schizoid if you like, but I really don't think personal relationships are a "deep" subject in lyrics at all. Interaction is probably the most innate and unchanged aspect of human consciousness since the origin of our species, everything that could be said already has. Personally, I would rather listen to a piece written about volcanoes or something than about the integrity of friendship, power of love, or pain of separation, etc..

As we've already concluded, albums are a proper way of experiencing a musical project. Singles tracks are fine if you know what you're listening to, but IMO they should not be a commercial medium.

Stroh
06-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Call me a soulless schizoid if you like, but I really don't think personal relationships are a "deep" subject in lyrics at all. Interaction is probably the most innate and unchanged aspect of human consciousness since the origin of our species, everything that could be said already has. Personally, I would rather listen to a piece written about volcanoes or something than about the integrity of friendship, power of love, or pain of separation, etc..

As we've already concluded, albums are a proper way of experiencing a musical project. Singles tracks are fine if you know what you're listening to, but IMO they should not be a commercial medium.

couldn't agree more

AyNoobyNoobers
06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Singles are for pussies.

graffeedy5
06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
albums, the artist wrote the music to go together, I'll listen to the whole album through a few times before I make any judgments.

Phenom
06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
i like albums as a whole, cannot mix songs together, it doesnt work for me. This is because an album follows one theme or suit, and i feel like its meant to be listened to as a whole.

Ipswitch
06-18-2010, 10:33 AM
obviously albums