PDA

View Full Version : Drummers

swordman540
02-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Any fellow drummers out there? I've been playing for a while now, really into covering Muse songs. Can't really mention my set, I always hop around, and usually use a small electronic drum kit at home. Or a snare, kick, and tom.

Wish I could buy a double bass pedal and learn, it's a real bitch when I wanna cover some heavier songs and can't use a double bass pedal.

Stockholm Syndrome (Muse) is definitely fun to play, some fellow drummers gotta try it.

Discuss about sets, what you can play, bands, how long you've played, or anything.

SkateBaker15
02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I can play all summer long by kid rock
roll on by kid rock
back in black by ACDC
even flow by pearl jam
learn to fly by the foo foighters
cliffs of dover by eric johnson
killing in the name by rage against the machine
that thing you do bythe wonders

Punkatoo
02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I want drums so badly. I would give anything for a set. As of right now it's just me imitating drummers in videos and listening to songs in order to learn the beats. I use my friend's drum set whenever I go to his house, but it's been like a month since I've last been there. It's hard to learn how to play an instrument when you don't actually have the instrument to play on...

true DGK
02-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I've been playing for five years and i can play pretty much any rock song if i listen to it and try to play along, but I'm really proud of playing "won't get fooled again" by the Who.
I have a pearl export series set and i'm in the drumline at school.

Fudopi
02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I've been playing for like, a year and a half ish. I don't know what else to say...

Patrick1234
02-17-2010, 07:00 PM
i've been playing the set for 2 years and i played percussion in elementary years back.

swordman540
02-18-2010, 06:04 AM
I want drums so badly. I would give anything for a set. As of right now it's just me imitating drummers in videos and listening to songs in order to learn the beats. I use my friend's drum set whenever I go to his house, but it's been like a month since I've last been there. It's hard to learn how to play an instrument when you don't actually have the instrument to play on...
you can always just buy those practice pads and kicks and stuff. I know it doesn't feel fun, but its cheap, barely makes a noise, and you'll get a lot better faster, opposed to playing once a month at your friends house. or just buy drumsticks and practice on your pillow, definitely helps with speed

Punkatoo
02-18-2010, 06:41 PM
you can always just buy those practice pads and kicks and stuff. I know it doesn't feel fun, but its cheap, barely makes a noise, and you'll get a lot better faster, opposed to playing once a month at your friends house. or just buy drumsticks and practice on your pillow, definitely helps with speed
I didn't want to post it, but I use my lap as a snare, my wooden floor as a kick, my metal laundry basket as a sort of bell, and a stop sign as a crash.
:blushing:

wafflestomper
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM

This is spot on.. I got a Pearl sessions, its awesome...

drizzle
02-23-2010, 05:23 PM
thinkin of buying one of those bigger first act kits from toys r us.

one problem i've always run into when trying to start bands, is that there's NO drummers. why not just solve the problem?

wafflestomper
02-23-2010, 05:29 PM
May i suggest Craiglist?

drizzle
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
i went and checked right after i posted that. many good deals, i see.

wafflestomper
02-23-2010, 05:39 PM
I seen a Tama Starclassic on my local one for $475, i mean that is a steal of a lifetime.

skateEmerica69
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
My drums
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/cock_soup/IMG_0639.jpg

Fucking love that pedal
I need new cymbals though, mine are shitty.

wafflestomper
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
May i suggest putting the snare between the pedals???

and also, its not the cymbal that makes the sound its the technique in which you use it.

skateEmerica69
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
No bro, pearl cymbals suck absolute cock.

Sucks at skating
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I dabble.

swordman540
02-23-2010, 09:47 PM
thinkin of buying one of those bigger first act kits from toys r us.

one problem i've always run into when trying to start bands, is that there's NO drummers. why not just solve the problem?

Don't buy shitty drumsets, it's too easy to outgrow your drum set and need a more and more better drum set. If i were you i'd buy a solid hihat, snare, bass, and floor tom, and as you get better you can purchas more toms, rides, crashs, and others.

But yeah pretty much why I started drumming.

skateEmerica69
02-24-2010, 04:02 AM
He needs a ride to start with too at least

swordman540
02-24-2010, 04:19 AM
He needs a ride to start with too at least
Well, yeah, but I started out without one because of money issues, so i would just open hi-hat to substitute for a ride, and once I saved up enough, just bought a ride and it required no learning time. I'm just saying, if he doesn't have enough money to buy a good full kit, hi-hat, bass, and snare are just the three essentials.

wafflestomper
02-24-2010, 05:17 AM
No bro, pearl cymbals suck absolute cock.

I know they aren't good, but I bet you if Buddy Rich played them you wouldn't hear a difference in the world.

Skatenjoi
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm big time into drums, I've been playing self taught for roughly 3 years, been in a straight edge hardcore band (even though I am not even the slightest bit into hardcore music, and not even vaguely straight edge) for about 2 years
I play probably every day for at least a little bit, I would consider myself to be alright, I jam with friends a lot and take influences from John Densmore, Mike Joyce, David Lovering, and others that are similar
Mostly I like jazz drumming though

This isn't my set, it's just a random picture, but my set looks just like this with one more crash (a Zildjian crash ride) on the right next to the ride

http://i48.tinypic.com/jinodg.jpg

edit: and oh yeah, inspiration to play, I just always loved drums and thought I would pick it up, I got a used set from my friend (which is still my set) for Christmas about 3-4 years ago and just added shit to it
it's cool because there's not a lot of drummers around here, people like my style, so I get to play with a lot of people